Thread: ROUND 3: Cesaro vs Tito Santana

WAKE UP

Status

ROUND 3: Cesaro vs Tito Santana

vs

WAKE UP

Status

Re: ROUND 3: Cesaro vs Tito Santana

What are the top Santana matches? The Savage fued, the matches with Valentine, what else?

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    What are the top Santana matches? The Savage fued, the matches with Valentine, what else?
    He had a bunch of good matches with Mr. Perfect in 1989-1990.

Cesaro easily wins this though. I'm a big fan of Santana, but he stopped producing much after 1989. Cesaro not only has greater highs, but better consistency. Santana had a great run in 1984-1986 though.

WAKE UP

Status

I remember liking their SNME match. Still feels like a very thin resume for a guy to get this far in a tournament like this.

Cesaro really shouldn't have beat Lawler and has already over-acheived in this thing, but got to go with him here.

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    I remember liking their SNME match. Still feels like a very thin resume for a guy to get this far in a tournament like this.

Cesaro really shouldn't have beat Lawler and has already over-acheived in this thing, but got to go with him here.
    In both the Savage and Valentine feuds, Santana produced a bunch of really good tag matches. The most notable for me is the Maple Leaf Gardens one with Steamboat vs the future Dream Team, which I consider to be a WWE MOTY. Just the next day, he and JYD fought The Dream Team at MSG in a match that was nearly as good as the previous night and was JYD's best WWE match. Santana and Bruno had a couple of good tag matches with Savage and Adrian Adonis in mid 1986 including a really fun cage match. Even after his prime, he would occasionally produce an unexpected gem like the tag match with Virgil against Ted DiBiase and Repo Man at This Tuesday in Texas.

In the mid 80s, Santana was probably the most consistent wrestler in the WWE.

Is round 3 a little too far for Santana? Maybe, but it's not as if he's had tough competition in James Storm or Greg Valentine. Other brackets featured far tougher competition like the bracket that had Bret/Hansen and Austin/Vader in just round 2.

First time Santana is up against a tough opponent, he's almost certainly out. Seems fair.

Thread Information