WAKE UP

Status

ROUND 3: AJ Styles vs William Regal

vs

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: ROUND 3: AJ Styles vs William Regal

I think some might try and make a case for Regal here but I don't see it. Regal was never the best wrestler in the world, nevermind in multiple years like AJ Styles was. I don't think the number of great matches is the end all and be all in this thing. I actually don't value it very highly at all. But there's no doubt that Regal just isn't comparable in that department. He doesn't have the high-end matches and I'm not convinced he's a better week-to-week guy.

Regal's strength is his versatility and his consistency in any situation against anyone, but AJ has worked all sorts of matches too - X Division spotfests, main event blood feuds, comedy matches, tag matches, done well as a heel or face, against all sorts of opponents. I don't think Regal is a clear winner in the thing that he's best at. And that, coupled with the fact that he was never a best-wrestler-in-the-world calibre guy, nor does he have the resume of great matches, is what makes this reasonably straightforward for me. I love Regal though, and there's no shame in losing to AJ Styles.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

WAKE UP

Status

I don't think Styles was ever the best wrestler in the world, and Regal is absolutely a better week to week guy through his career. I mean, his entire reputation is *built* on being a great week to week TV guy. You can't lump it all on Styles but there are large parts of his TNA and New Japan career where the matches were routinely duds.

Regal had a longer, more varied career and got way more out of way less. There's a reason why something like a 10 minute Regal vs Benoit match on Velocity gets attention - it's a great match that is way better than a bunch of stuff that is more high profile. Old Man Regal is also one of my favourite Old Man Wrestlers and his matches with Moxley, Cesaro and Ohno were all great.

THAT SAID, I'm still going with Styles. But I had to put the Regal case out there as I did have to think about it. I get the vibe some think of Styles as a Top 10 guy, I absolutely disagree with that despite being a big fan. Regal is maybe the best utility wrestler of all time, which is nothing to be chumped at.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Do you not consider AJ as the best wrestler in the world for any of 2014-2016?

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

WAKE UP

Status

Nah probably not. 2014 he had a good G1 Climax, what else? 2016 he had a real strong run but not sure he was the BITW. 2015 I am really drawing a blank on what his case would be there, I mostly just remember some stinky Bullet Club matches.

I love Regal. He's always been one of my favorites. However, he really struggled for large periods of his career to be matched with opponents that he could gel with. Regal's 1993-1994 was good in WCW, but he didn't do much in WCW after that. In the WWE, his 1998 run is a total wash. He mostly struggled in 2000-2003. Things picked up for him a bit after he came back in 2004 with the 2005-2006 Benoit matches finally showcasing just how amazing Regal can be in the WWE. Old man Regal was given more opportunities due to the type of wrestlers the WWE were signing.

Regal is an example of a talent who had so much potential, but we barely got to see him looking great because he came into the WWE a decade too soon. Ignoring the obvious great Benoit matches, how many great matches did Regal have in the WWE? Regal leaving the WWE in 2003 and going to the indies would have made for an incredible time period in his career.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Nah probably not. 2014 he had a good G1 Climax, what else? 2016 he had a real strong run but not sure he was the BITW. 2015 I am really drawing a blank on what his case would be there, I mostly just remember some stinky Bullet Club matches.
    Hero I think was better in '15 but only slightly since that was AJ's touring world champion run which saw AJ have a number of highly regarded matches across a zillion promotions and even some hidden gems like him vs. PJ Black in Red's promotion. in '16 it would be tough to find someone better than AJ which would in fact make him the BITW for that year and he certainly was a contender there in 2015. I think at worst he has to at least be in the discussion and firmly in the top 5 which is still probably more than Regal ever was although he is, was, and will forever be awesome.

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    I don't think Styles was ever the best wrestler in the world, and Regal is absolutely a better week to week guy through his career. I mean, his entire reputation is *built* on being a great week to week TV guy. You can't lump it all on Styles but there are large parts of his TNA and New Japan career where the matches were routinely duds.
    I can't agree with AJ having routinely duds in NJPW. There were some early matches I wasn't crazy for being it was the standard BC interference issues, but I can't recall ever watching AJ in a NJPW ring thinking AJ's had rubbish performance here. Then again, you do hate the modern NJ main event style.

Regal is maybe the best utility wrestler of all time, which is nothing to be chumped at.
    Hmm, I'm not sure about that either because I wouldn't say he's even the best utility wrestler in this matchup. AJ's excelled up and down the card, in multiple roles, for multiple promotions (even being playing the ace role in one of them) in multiple countries in a plethora of dumb stipulation matches. I think AJ ticks more boxes than Regal has for performing every possible role that can be asked of a male wrestler.

I also do believe AJ is a top 10 guy of all time in the states; I think as far as the 21st century goes, he's been #2 only to Bryan. Dylan was right, 2016 he was BITW level and took WWE by storm. He easily takes this over Regal for me.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

I don't love AJ. But I think he has a wider body of great matches than Regal in more styles. Regal is a master at his trade and has some underated high quality matches. But a long career with quite a few gaps will hurt.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post

Hmm, I'm not sure about that either because I wouldn't say he's even the best utility wrestler in this matchup. AJ's excelled up and down the card, in multiple roles, for multiple promotions (even being playing the ace role in one of them) in multiple countries in a plethora of dumb stipulation matches. I think AJ ticks more boxes than Regal has for performing every possible role that can be asked of a male wrestler.
    I completely agree. I know if I'm a hypothetical booker, I could book AJ Styles in a spot fest opener, a tag match, a comedy match, carry a scrub to something decent, a hard hitting stiff match, a blood feud, a main event match. AJ works anywhere on the card.

Regal doesn't. Regal exclusively works as a midcard act and in a 30 year career he never proved he could have a blockbuster main event match. He never had a tag match to the quality of the Daniels matches against LAX or AMW.

Basically, we have proof that AJ can fill any role Regal did in his career because we've seen him do pretty much anything. But in 30 years we haven't seen any evidence that Regal could have the calibre matches that AJ had in main events. Everything is just hypothetical for Regal, and that isn't a good argument at all in my opinion

Also for someone with as long a career as Regal, he has surprisingly few memorable TV matches (relatively speaking). I don't buy that that's through lack of opportunity either.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

WAKE UP

Status

I'm really trying to think of any memorable or particularly good Styles matches from TV..... can't think of anything. Nothing from Impact comes to mind, unless we're going all the way back to the weekly PPV era. Can't think of anything in the WWE apart from matches with Bryan and maybe those with Andrade, but that's low-hanging fruit and also VERY recent.

Regal has awesome TV matches against Finlay, Larry Z, Arn (WCW), Bryan, Christian, Austin, Benoit, Goldust, Ohno and Cesaro (WWE) off the top of my head.

I voted for Styles, and this is an argument that deals with hypothetical, but I can't remember ever seeing a Regal match that got a good amount of time and coming away thinking it was a dud or waste of time. Style has had plenty of duds as well as bangers, but that also comes with the territory of being on high profile matches consistently for the better part of 20 years.

Thread Information