WAKE UP

Status

ROUND 3: Eddie Guerrero vs Roderick Strong

vs

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: ROUND 3: Eddie Guerrero vs Roderick Strong

This sounds like an awesome match on paper.

I think a lot of people will look at this and say "yeah Eddie, easily". I think its far more interesting than that though.

It's easy to forget that Roderick has been around as long as Eddie was. And been pretty damn good for a lot of that run. Both have had points where they've been near the best wrestler in the world. Both have some awesome highs - their best matches (vs Rey at HH 97 and vs Bryan at Vendetta 2005) are about equal.

Roderick made my own, and the forum's top 10 wrestlers for the half decade. Does Eddie have a 5 year stretch where you could argue he's one of the top 10 wrestlers worldwide? I know I wouldn't say so.

I'm going to give this one a long think because I don't think it's obvious at all, and I'd urge others to really think about it too.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

Yeah, this one doesn't seem as straightforward as first appears. Fan of both guys so I'm gonna have to think about this.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I like Roddy but I don't love him and I rarely think he's great. Eddie Guerrero always came off as great in any role he was in. There is more notable matches with Eddie as well.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    This sounds like an awesome match on paper.

I think a lot of people will look at this and say "yeah Eddie, easily". I think its far more interesting than that though.

It's easy to forget that Roderick has been around as long as Eddie was. And been pretty damn good for a lot of that run. Both have had points where they've been near the best wrestler in the world. Both have some awesome highs - their best matches (vs Rey at HH 97 and vs Bryan at Vendetta 2005) are about equal.

Roderick made my own, and the forum's top 10 wrestlers for the half decade. Does Eddie have a 5 year stretch where you could argue he's one of the top 10 wrestlers worldwide? I know I wouldn't say so.

I'm going to give this one a long think because I don't think it's obvious at all, and I'd urge others to really think about it too.

I think the clear difference is that Eddie was a top tier talent pretty much his entire career, from getting good really early, up until still being a smart, charismatic, capable worker once his body started to wear. Roddy has spent most of his career as capable but a guy who needs to be lead rather than as a top tier guy.

Eddie as a Top 10 worker in the world at any point? Yes, probably, but even without that look at the levels of talent at the times we're talking. Eddie would be an easy Top 5 in the world right now. Strong wouldn't touch that in the late 90s or early 2000s.
    Last edited by King Steventon; 05-21-2020 at 08:12 AM.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    I think the clear difference is that Eddie was a top tier talent pretty much his entire career, from getting good really early, up until still being a smart, charismatic, capable worker once his body started to wear. Roddy has spent most of his career as capable but a guy who needs to be lead rather than as a top tier guy.

Eddie as a Top 10 worker in the world at any point? Yes, probably, but even without that look at the levels of talent at the times we're talking. Eddie would be an easy Top 5 in the world right now. Strong probably would touch that in the late 90s or early 2000s.
    I think those are fair points. I think I'd go Eddie if this was closer, but as Roddy is getting destroyed I'll chuck him a sympathy vote.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

I don't know if I'd ever say Strong was bad, but I tend to go back and forth on whether I'm into his matches and not caring.

Eddie's biggest strength is that the quality of a company tended to improved with his arrival. In 1995 alone, he upped the quality of both ECW and later WCW. While he didn't have as big of a role in it as Chris Benoit, Guerrero also helped the improvement in the WWE in 2000. Smackdown benefited with Guerrero jumping to the brand in 2002.

Guerrero had his faults that will almost certainly keep him from winning this tournament or probably going much further, but I find his biggest strengths stand out more than just Strong putting on good matches in a good period for indie wrestling.

[Run]

Status

Was Eddie really that important in 2000 though? Latino Heat was of course memorable from a character stand point, but I struggle to think of much he did in ring that was of note (obviously he wasn't getting he opposition Benoit was at the time) up until his release. I'd argue Eddie wasn't a top WWE worker until his return in 2002.

Voting Strong like Shock to stop the landslide somewhat, hut happy with either going through.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X104F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Was Eddie really that important in 2000 though? Latino Heat was of course memorable from a character stand point, but I struggle to think of much he did in ring that was of note (obviously he wasn't getting he opposition Benoit was at the time) up until his release. I'd argue Eddie wasn't a top WWE worker until his return in 2002.

Voting Strong like Shock to stop the landslide somewhat, hut happy with either going through.
    Guerrero helped out in 2000 in boosting up the undercard compared to 1999. You can be a part of the improvement without being the best. 2000 isn't this highly praised year simply because someone like Chris Benoit was there. It's highly praised because Triple H was finally producing great main event level matches, Benoit had arrived, Jericho was connecting better than in 1999, Kurt Angle was quickly becoming really good, the TLC teams were allowed to carry the tag team division, and undercard guys like Eddie Guerrero and Dean Malenko produced a little bit of quality.

I do agree that Eddie didn't become one of the best in the WWE until he jumped to Smackdown in 2002. Still, Guerrero in 2000 helped out the quality of WWE matches more than the likes of The Godfather, Val Venis, or The Boss Man did in 1999.

Thread Information