WAKE UP

Status

ROUND 3: Rey Mysterio vs Shawn Michaels

vs

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

Re: ROUND 3: Rey Mysterio vs Shawn Michaels

I feel like this will be close, but personally I don't hesitate in voting Mysterio.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    I feel like this will be close, but personally I don't hesitate in voting Mysterio.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Yeah same.

Rey has been so good for so long. He's one of the most consistent wrestlers of all time. And that happens to be Michaels' biggest weakness: consistency. At his best he's great, though I wouldn't argue him better than Rey at their respective peaks. Too often Michaels frustrated me, or did stupid things in his matches that pull me out of it.

I don't hate Michaels, I could have seen myself voting him over others in round 3, but not here. No way.

I think it may be close but for me personally this is a very very clear win for Rey.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Both wrestled for an extraordinary amount of time with Rey still going fairly strong today. Despite heavy injuries to both wrestlers.

Shawn has his fair list of great matches. The Rockers run is full of them against the likes of Doug Somers and Buddy Rose (30/08/86 is honestly a classic match that would be close to the best match he's ever had), the Brain Busters, Oriental Express, Fabulous Rougeau Brothers, etc. His singles run that span nearly two decades has a few great matches as well like the Foley Mind Games Match, the matches against Taker (Bad Blood and both WMs).

But he has quite a few bad matches that don't hold up well to me. All of the Triple H feud. Chris Jericho at Unforgiven is a total misfire. The Bret Hart SVS 92 and WM 12 matches are both dreadfully boring, except for the last one which broken down into a shoot so it's not exactly a bright spark. I struggle to really love the Cena match at WM 23 on a meaningful level. Some people seem to love the 96 WWF title reign but other than the Diesel match and the Foley match (already mentioned above) I don't love any of the defences against Bulldog or Vader.

There is a ton of the bad that comes with the good with Michaels. Whereas with Rey, he's been consistently good since 1994. Even on his weakest matches, Rey always stood out as great and never soured himself with annoying tendencies. I love some of his pre WCW matches in AAA and ECW. There is an epic trios match in 95 where he's in the ring with Hijo del Santo and Blue Panther, two masters of their styles, and he sticks out as an amazing wrestler along side them. Bare in mind that he was only 19/20 years old then. Then in WCW, he exposed people to a type of wrestling that they've never seen before, having great matches against Malenko, Psychosis, Ultimo Dragon and, of course, Eddie Guerrero in a match that still gets claimed today as one of the best matches ever. WCW starts to decline later on but Rey is still generally solid in ring. Probably having the 99 WCW MOTY at Slamboree 99, being one of the better wrestlers in the match.

His WWE run is pretty amazing. Not just with great matches but Rey fits everything WWE asks of him. Who would deliver a better 10 TV match than Rey on a consistent basis. You need a random Cruiserweight Title Match? Bring in Rey. You need a tag parter for one of the main eventers like Batista? Rey does that. The feud as a whole seems to split people but I'm one of the people that love his feud with Eddie. I didn't seen a bad match between them. Although I've not yet watched the Ladder match at Summerslam and the subsequent Steel Cage Match. The weakest match was at WM 22 and it was fine. Also, they had a title match in 2004 that was excellent. Never gets mentioned, sadly. He has a fantastic tag match in 2003 where he teams up with Kidman against Team Angle at Vengeance. I can go on for a while about 2006 onwards about the matches against Orton, Jericho, Cena, etc.

Rey is a god.

Mysterio was one of the most valuable wrestlers to any roster for many years. As long as he was healthy, he was typically the best thing about a wrestling company. That includes absolutely killing it in ECW, single handedly saving a dead on arrival Cruiserweight Division in WCW, playing a big part in the strength of the Smackdown Six, and again carrying Smackdown in the summer of 2009. Injuries kept getting in the way, but he kept finding ways to bounce back and become great again.

At his best, all of that can be said about HBK as well. The problem is that Michaels wasn't nearly as consistent. There's also the fact that Michaels wasn't as good as he thought with so many forced classics ending up being disappointments.

If this was a best overall wrestler contest, Michaels may be able to beat Mysterio due to superior mic skills, but pure workrate Mysterio was always better.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Rey's a dark horse for the tournament because he was basically a great wrestler by the mid 90s and was up to the early 2010s, then I think like a lot of people I thought his body was feeling it now and he was just gonna be cruising on his reputation til retirement with nice matches, but then a few years ago he transformed back into a great wrestler again and was back to being WWE's best TV wrestler. Shock's point stands, he's Mr. consistency, I can't remember a time I thought he was bad. Really the only marks I can put against him was he doesn't quite have enough big, classic, important matches in his career but that's more a booking opportunity issue, and repetitive match structures sometimes where it'd get annoying to see the obvious set ups to the 619 every single match. There might only be 2 wrestlers I'd put above him in this tournament, he's absolutely one of the greatest wrestlers ever.

I feel bad because at no point in this tournament have I been able to talk about Michaels and now I do have some time to get into it, and I probably have to stick the knife in his back here. I love the guy, I've always been a fan of his style and his matches, a classic Shawn Michaels match is the best pro wrestling can get for me, but I can't deny he has flaws. There are major consistency issues throughout his career, I have no use for the 2nd coming of DX era HBK for example.

but then I look at stuff like these bad matches with Triple H for example and I'm conflicted on how big a negative that is on MICHAELS as a wrestler. Michaels was able to have a couple great matches with Triple H, but when you're booked into have so many matches together, you're gonna have some stinkers because of who the opponent is.

Let's see if I can work some arguments for HBK:

- I definitely think Michaels is the better gimmick match wrestler. He has excelled at ladder matches and HIAC matches in a way many others haven't, he helped establish things like the Elimination Chamber etc

- I definitely prefer Michaels top end matches to Mysterios.

- Tag wrestlers is probably a tie. The Rockers are my favourite old school tag team in WWF, but there's nothing about Mysterio's tag stuff in early 00s that suggests he wouldn't of been apart of a great tag team if that's where his career took him.

- Michaels was the better heel wrestler but feels stupid to even bring that up when he's against ultimate babyface Mysterio

That's about as far as I can stretch it, but there's more stuff in the bad column for HBK than there is for Mysterio.

I'll mull it over for a few days to where it's redundant because Rey's already won and then just vote for HBK

WAKE UP

Status

Michaels does also have the all-time great toys-out-the-pram match ever atleast

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

I would vote Michaels over lots of people. His tag team years and the 90s were full of really entertaining and unique for their time matches. But his second run made him a true icon I think. HBK 2002-2010 is one of my favorite wrestlers ever. He was such a crisp and deliberate wrestler and he really helped bring a lot of younger guys up to a new level. Even at times when he was kind of coasting, he was still a better worker than a vast majority of WWE guys in my eyes. I also put a lot of stock into big match performers and Shawn Michaels is probably the embodiment of that.

I am still gonna vote for Rey though. You just can't overlook the consistency of Rey Mysterio who has basically been good for 25 straight years, and at many points amazing. He's a top tier babyface worker, his timing is masterful and of course he was doing a lot of stuff in his prime that is still awe inspiring today.

I do think HBK's best is over Rey's best. Safely, even. But on average, Rey edges him out and is probably the better nuts and bolts wrestler while HBK's matches arguably got a lot of help from being higher stakes affairs.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Thread Information