• Vader

9 45.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROUND 2: Steve Austin vs Vader

WAKE UP

Status

ROUND 2: Steve Austin vs Vader

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Steve Austin vs Triple H, No Way Out 2001

vs

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Vader vs Shawn Michaels, Summerslam 1996

WAKE UP

Status

Re: ROUND 2: Steve Austin vs Vader

Now the tournament really starts.

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

Ouch. Haven't seen enough peak Vader to vote, but looking forward to the debate!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I think Vader is an amazing big man. And at his best plays that role as good as anyone ever.

Austin however had an equally amazing peak. He was the best wrestler in WWE (comfortably) in that post-Shawn/Bret era, oftentimes the only good match on a card was the Austin main event. His 2001 run was one of my favourites and I'd put that against Vader's best year too.

Plus Austin was a really good wrestler as early as the early 90s. Good tag worker, loads of good performances with the Dangerous Alliance. He was MVP of War Games 92.

It sucks we're losing one so soon in the tournament and won't be gutted either way

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Putting Butts in Seats

Status
      Country                    United States

Why are all these matches that went up today so hard?

This one guts me the most...and I'm going to have to take some time to think about it. Vader/Sting are some of my favorite matches of all time but Austin may have more memorable matches for me.

While my first instinct is to say Austin, after some thinking, I'm going with Vader.

Besides being the best big man in the history of wrestling, Vader helped a bunch of guys score their best singles match in WCW. Guys like Dustin Rhodes, Sting, Cactus Jack, Boss Man, Ron Simmons, British Bulldog, and even managed to produce a couple good matches with Hulk Hogan. Meanwhile, I don't know if I can think of a single wrestler that I would say had their best match, in a company, against Stone Cold. I know others would say Rocky, McMahon, and Foley, but I think they had better matches with others even if it meant Austin had their second best match.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Meanwhile, I don't know if I can think of a single wrestler that I would say had their best match, in a company, against Stone Cold. I know others would say Rocky, McMahon, and Foley, but I think they had better matches with others even if it meant Austin had their second best match.
    Bret Hart? Personally, I don’t think it’s the case, but I imagine a few people do.

Also, unless I’m mistaken, Foley’s best WCW match (by his own admission) was against Sting.

Vader is great, but I’m going with Austin.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Bret Hart? Personally, I don’t think it’s the case, but I imagine a few people do.

Also, unless I’m mistaken, Foley’s best WCW match (by his own admission) was against Sting.

Vader is great, but I’m going with Austin.
    I've given Bret a few five stars for his matches, including the WM 13. So I guess it depends on my mood for the day whether or not Austin scored Bret's best match in the WWE.

You're right about Foley in WCW though. That one was harder to think about in my head because I had to ignore the non-singles matches that were better.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

I've given Bret a few five stars for his matches, including the WM 13. So I guess it depends on my mood for the day whether or not Austin scored Bret's best match in the WWE.

You're right about Foley in WCW though. That one was harder to think about in my head because I had to ignore the non-singles matches that were better.
    I’m totally watching Jack/Sullivan vs. The Nasty Boys this afternoon.

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Meanwhile, I don't know if I can think of a single wrestler that I would say had their best match, in a company, against Stone Cold. I know others would say Rocky, McMahon, and Foley, but I think they had better matches with others even if it meant Austin had their second best match.
    Savio Vega? I know it's not a blockbuster name, but I think it's a better example of Austin helping someone to their best WWE match than say having a great match with Rock was. And I would say the Bret stuff is Bret's best stuff in WWF but that's more a case of two excellent wrestlers meeting at their peak.

This one is going to take some thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Savio Vega? I know it's not a blockbuster name, but I think it's a better example of Austin helping someone to their best WWE match than say having a great match with Rock was. And I would say the Bret stuff is Bret's best stuff in WWF but that's more a case of two excellent wrestlers meeting at their peak.
    There we go. Savio is clearly the best example of someone in the WWE having their obvious best match against Stone Cold.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Guys who had their best match in WWE with Austin:

Bret (marginal)
    Savio Vega
    Kurt Angle
    The Rock

That's off the top of my head, I think Benoit also had his best singles match with Austin too. Savio Vega is the only one that is a slam dunk, definitely his best though.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Glad I could help you out with some 90s WWF knowledge there Jim

I was thinking Angle as well Shock, I know I enjoy the 2003 Rumble match with Benoit less than I used to so I'd guess the Summerslam 2001 match is my favourite singles match of his these days. I'd definitely agree on Rock too.

I still love Benoit/Angle, so that's my pick for both men's best WWE matches. I prefer Rock/Foley Rumble 99 as Rock's best WWE match. I was about to say Marc Mero for his quality mid 1996 matches against Austin, but then I remembered his somehow great match against Triple H.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

What I've gathered from this thread is Austin might not have many people's best match, but he has everyone's second best match

WAKE UP

Status

Ya'll forgot Marc Mero too.

We're all going to have different #1 favorites for great workers, but I think we can all agree both Vader and Austin had career matches with many of their main rivals. Which is what makes this tricky. I came in leaning towards Vader and I think he did a better job of elevating guys, despite again both having numerous career matches with other guys....

But now I'm thinking Austin, but marginally. Might change tomorrow.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I came in thinking Vader was my pick, and left with Vader as my pick.

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

These round 2 matches are no joke.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

WAKE UP

Status

Trying to compare these two still. General rambling thoughts:

VADER

+ Was very good quite early in his career, good matches as far ahead as pre-Vader days in AWA
    + Late 80s New Japan run rules
    + Carried Keiji Mutoh to a career match
    + The WCW run is all great. We all know how good the Sting matches are, but he has career matches with a bunch of lesser guys like Bossman and Ron Simmons. AND he gets a legit awesome match out of '95 Hogan
    + UWFi run is great - REALLY speaks to his versatility and he carries Takada to a career match amongst others
    + Carries '96 Inoki to a hell of a match
    + Late 90s WWF run may be his weakest period - he didn't pair well with Taker or Sid, but there is some good stuff (International Incident 6-man, Final Four 4-way, the Michaels match)
    + Late 90s All Japan run rules
    + He is basically done and broken down by 2001, but carried on for years after. That's a solid 15 year run is greatness.

AUSTIN
    + Good matches as far ahead as '91, which is 2 years after he debuted, so he was also good quickly
    + Dangerous Alliance run is great, though most of it tags. Most Austin singles WCW matches are really good, but only the Steamboat singles were GREAT. Still I would say he was definitely one of the main guys delivering in those DA tags
    + Hollywood Blondes were also a great tag team
    + A few matches in Japan as part of the WCW/NJ partnership, none of which were good. Not much of a black mark, but worth pointing out as a comparison to Vader
    + ECW run was brief but good
    + Mid-90s WWF is really good - aforementioned matches with Mero, Vega, etc and obviously the Bret/HF matches rule
    + Late 90s WWF is a mixed bag - some really good stuff when allowed to just work with a good opponent, some stinkers thanks to Attitude Era booking (can't hold too much against him)
    + Some duds against capable workers - I don't think he had good chemistry with Michaels
    + 2001 Austin is pretty much excellent, but he gets lumbered with a bunch of shitty Invasion era stuff which means the output wasn't always there, though he delivered almost every opportunity given.
    + Guy basically hangs it up in 2002 - comes back for a farewell run with the Rock match and is then done. About a decade's run of being great.

Still a tough one. If I was dealing in hypotheticals I could say Austin's talent was often hampered by Vince's Attitude Era/Invasion Era bullshit and he could have built and even more impressive resume than what he did if given less nonsense in his prime years.... but that's not a great talking point. Vader was great for longer, great a wider variety of settings, often against capable but clearly inferior opponents, and I'm struggling to think of many real cases of him not clicking with an opponent other than like '96 Undertaker....

My heart says Austin but head says Vader, and I got to go with my head here.

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    + Late 90s WWF run may be his weakest period - he didn't pair well with Taker or Sid, but there is some good stuff (International Incident 6-man, Final Four 4-way, the Michaels match)
    While I'm not a fan of Taker/Vader at the Rumble, I thought that they had a much better match at Canadian Stampede.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information