12 63.16%
  • Ron Garvin

7 36.84%

Thread: ROUND 2: Dustin Rhodes vs Ron Garvin

WAKE UP

Status

ROUND 2: Dustin Rhodes vs Ron Garvin

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Dustin Rhodes vs Rick Rude, Worldwide 30/5/1992

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFzjLRpvJD8

Ron Garvin vs Greg Valentine, Royal Rumble 1990

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: ROUND 2: Dustin Rhodes vs Ron Garvin

I went for Garvin in the end. I think it's a really tight one. Dustin deserves props for being good in like 4 different decades, but I prefer Garvin's high end stuff a lot more.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Слава Україні!

Status
      Country                    Ukraine

I went with Dustin for the longevity, but certainly won't begrudge anyone that takes Garvin.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

A cool looking match from a heel Ron Garvin in Montreal against the Rougeaus.

WAKE UP

Status

Went with Dustin - both were great but Dustin has the very clear longevity edge

Dustin doesn't have the longevity edge. By time Garvin finally made it to the WWE, he had been active for decades. Rhodes' advantage comes in his longevity coming in a more modern time than Garvin's.

I'm not overly excited about either guy advancing to the third round, but out of the two, Dustin stands out as being the weaker. Although he's had some good periods, he also had periods where he was the worst wrestler in the company.

WAKE UP

Status

When was Dustin ever the worst guy on a roster?

I had to look up Garvin's career in more detail, no idea he debuted as far back as the 60s. His pre mid-80s work isn't really spoken about much though. I mean, I'd always rather watch for myself, but the fact there's very little talk of his stuff before that period makes me think his 'peak' was that 5-6 year period.

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    When was Dustin ever the worst guy on a roster?
    WWE 1996 for sure. WCW 1991 he was very close to being the worst until the Clash tag match gave him one good match.

I had to look up Garvin's career in more detail, no idea he debuted as far back as the 60s. His pre mid-80s work isn't really spoken about much though. I mean, I'd always rather watch for myself, but the fact there's very little talk of his stuff before that period makes me think his 'peak' was that 5-6 year period.
    I don't know if it's the bleached blond hair, but I've always been surprised at how old Garvin is. For years, I presumed he and Jimmy were brothers, not step-father/step-son.

WAKE UP

Status

Was he really worse than the Godwins or '96 Roberts or '96 Warrior? Doubtful

'91 WCW had a whole bunch of low-card/job geeks worse than Dustin, but Dustin was still pretty much a rookie then. Pretty sure El Gigante was also on the roster there.

I *also* made that assumption about him and Jimmy.... until you pointed that out!

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Was he really worse than the Godwins or '96 Roberts or '96 Warrior? Doubtful
    Absolutely. Warrior had a handful of matches, two of which was against Goldust. Godwinns weren't particularly good, but most of their matches were like five minutes long. Goldust's matches were higher up on the card and typically twice as long. Goldust was responsible for HBK's worst matches of one of Shawn's best years. Again, Roberts wasn't good, but Goldust had more matches and was in a higher spot on the card.

'91 WCW had a whole bunch of low-card/job geeks worse than Dustin, but Dustin was still pretty much a rookie then. Pretty sure El Gigante was also on the roster there.
    The difference is that Dustin was shoved down your throat in 1991 thanks to Dusty being the head booker. El Gigante was still in the company in 1991, but his role was greatly reduced compared to the push he received in 1990. El Gigante at least had the freak appeal of seeing a seven foot wrestler. Dustin didn't have anything going for him at that early stage of his career.

Those are the stand outs for worst Dustin years, but years like 1993, 1995, and 2007 were pretty rough on him too.

I *also* made that assumption about him and Jimmy.... until you pointed that out!
    And learning is half the battle!

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Off the top of my head, I'd say Dustin was the worst worker on his roster in 1996 and 2007. In any other promotion, his stint in WCW from 1999-2000 would have been the worst thing in a promotion. But in that promotion at that time he probably wasn't bottom 20

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Jobber

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Off the top of my head, I'd say Dustin was the worst worker on his roster in 1996 and 2007. In any other promotion, his stint in WCW from 1999-2000 would have been the worst thing in a promotion. But in that promotion at that time he probably wasn't bottom 20

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
    Pretty sure 1996 WWF and 2007 TNA had worse workers on their rosters.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonE View Post
    Pretty sure 1996 WWF and 2007 TNA had worse workers on their rosters.
    WWE 1996 absolutely didn't when you factor together talent, spot on the card, and length of matches.

Thread Information