Thread: Future Endeavoured : The Release Chronicles

Hi.

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Future Endeavoured : The Release Chronicles

Future Endeavoured : The Release Chronicles

The Prologue

WWE Provides COVID-19 Business Update
    04/15/2020 STAMFORD, Conn.-(BUSINESS WIRE)- WWE (NYSE: WWE) today provided an update on measures taken by the Company in response to the current impact of COVID-19 on the organization.

Due to COVID-19 and the current government-mandated impacts on WWE and the media business generally, the Company went through an extensive evaluation of its operations over the past several weeks. This analysis resulted in the implementation of various short-term cost reductions and cash flow improvement actions including:

• Reducing executive and board member compensation;
    • Decreasing operating expenses;
    • Cutting talent expenses, third party staffing and consulting;
    • Deferring spend on the build-out of the Company’s new headquarters for at least six months.

Given the uncertainty of the situation, the Company also identified headcount reductions and decided to furlough a portion of its workforce effective immediately. The decision to furlough versus permanently reduce headcount reflects the fact that the Company currently believes the furlough will be temporary.

The Company’s reductions of employee compensation and headcount result in an estimated monthly savings of $4 million along with cash flow improvement of $140 million primarily from the deferral in spending on the Company’s new headquarters. Additionally, the Company has substantial financial resources, both available cash and debt capacity, which currently total approximately $0.5 billion, to manage the challenges ahead. Management continues to believe the fundamentals of the Company’s business remain strong and that WWE is well-positioned to take full advantage of the changing media landscape and increasing the value of live sports rights over the longer term.

The Company will provide further details when it reports its first-quarter 2020 results next Thursday, April 23 after the close of the market.

April, 15th – LIO RUSH RESIDENCE

LIO RUSH – a former Cruiserweight Champion – peered at his phone, watching it vibrate across the clear glass table in front of him.

RUSH: Fuck. This is it.

The number across the screen read ‘HUNTER'. This was the call he had been expecting all day. With a major sigh, he pressed his thumb onto the big green button and, not even attempting to hide his dissatisfaction, he answered.

RUSH: Uh-huh?

TRIPLE H: Lio?

RUSH: Mmhmm.

TRIPLE H: I am guessing you understand why I am calling. So, listen kid. I’m sure you have seen the news we are implementing cost-cutting measures due to what is happening in the world. Because of the global pandemic-

RUSH: Listen, I know what this call is about. Can we stop and cut to the chase?

A fairly lengthy awkward silence followed this, and it was clear to Triple H his usual spiel wouldn’t be appropriate here. He had known about the fairly negative rep Lio had backstage, so he had expected this, and did his best to keep his ‘board room’ attitude going.

TRIPLE H: We’re letting you go. You’ll get an email and a letter confirming it, but I wanted to call to let you know man to man.

If he mentions future endeavors, I swear – Lio thought.

TRIPLE H: We’d like to wish you luck in-

Ignoring the revered status The Game has within the WWE, both in the board room and in the locker room, Lio immediately hung up the phone and launched it halfway across the room onto a plush leather couch.

At this stage, he didn’t care about what people backstage thought of him. Perhaps blinded by anger at the fact a global company would release their talent, whilst at the same time, paying certain people millions for a bootleg WrestleMania appearance.

The now-former WWE employee slumped into a seated position on the floor, his head in his hands and thought through his relatively short WWE Career. The management of Bobby Lashley, pitching idea after idea, the reputation backstage, and finally something positive, the Cruiserweight Title win. That went nowhere.

Frustration boiling over, “Fuck them,” he said.

He had enough money saved and didn’t need to immediately worry about the lack of a contract, and it may allow him to focus on his rapping, but deep down he knew he wanted to continue wrestling.

The question was … what now?

OOC:
    Hello.

This is going to be a semi-interactive BTB. At the end of each post, there will be a choice which the good readers of WC can decide on. These choices will range from being super important, to just being a bit of fun. This is my first time doing a single wrestler BTB, and it's also the first time I have an end point in mind, rather than writing show after show, which is quite exciting. It will follow Rush as we navigate unemployment, potentially burn some bridges along the way, and once we have a contract, then I will begin writing partial shows of whichever company it will be.

If this is a success and I continue to enjoy this style of BTB, then I may do other stories featuring the wrestlers who were sadly released because of the global pandemic. But we'll see.

I hope you all find some enjoyment out of this!

PS – credit to Renji for the GFX!

Don’t make me Chang this

Status
      Country                    UK

Re: Future Endeavoured : The Release Chronicles

Good luck with this mate. I know that there's some good stuff on the way, so interested to see which way things go!

RIC FLAIR AND THE NEW HORSEMEN: THE NATURE BOY'S LAST RIDE
    NOW PLAYING IN THE BTB SECTION

WC's Favourite Video Games of the 2010's - The Countdown | The Pokemon Emerald Randomizer Nuzlocke Challenge

I won some BTB awards a while ago...

Curtain Jerker

Status

Yo, that's an awesome idea :D Let's see if we can ruin...I mean, bring back Leo's career! Yes, yes, bring it back! That's what I meant, totally ^^

Can't wait to see how it develops :D

TUFF

Status

Let's go! Glad to see this project finally underway. I hope the WC community doesn't mess with you too bad

Tough times don't last, tough people do.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I dig the concept. I look forward to the next chapter.

Jam Up Guy

Status

Very interesting concept. I thought your old thread had a tonne of potential so this could be something else. Really excited for this one, good luck!

Charismatic Enigma

Status
      Country                    United States

This really is a different approach that I am interested in. Lots of options to come through and introduce this released talent into something different post-WWE. Cannot wait to see what comes up next.
    Now Writing
    WWE 2016: Claim Your Throne

What A Maneuver!

Status

I really like the idea and concept of this thread. I was a big fan of your previous few threads, so I'll definitely be following along. Good luck with this!

Underdog

Status

I really have high hopes for this. Most single wrestler BTB's never seem to work or they push the superstar wayyyy too quickly. Love to see what you do with Rush. Does he got to AEW or hit the indy circuit. Also the interactive part could be a nice added touch. Good luck

-ICONIC-

Shit username since day 1

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Has anyone said how much they like this idea yet? Because I do too. I’m all for something different and out of left field, so I’ll be following this keenly to see how it plays out. I recall Man having success with a Cesaro focused BTB once (I think) and it was really popular too. Always good to see something different. Good luck!

Hi.

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Cheers to all who left some comments, mucho appreciated. This post has been written for a while now, so why not post it? Choice to be made at the end if you wish to take part in some interactivity! Feel free to leave your choice in the thread.

Just to say though, when Lio Rush was in WWE, there were rumours of negative reputation and backstage heat, which obviously I don't know if it was true and if it were, I don't know the reasons. For the sake of this BTB (and entertainment factor), we're going to move forward with the idea he did have some heat at some point. Enough rambling!

Future Endeavoured: The Release Chronicles

Chapter One

April, 15th 2020 – LIO RUSH RESIDENCE

LIO RUSH continued to sit with his thoughts, running through the events of his WWE career from the beginning until the very end when he hung up on The Game. Was that a mistake? He wondered but quickly threw the thought to the back of his mind. He picked himself off the floor, stood with his back to the wall, and figured the best thing at this stage was to tell his wife. You know, because duh.

Before he clicked on their messages, he noticed he had a few DMs. News spreads fast it seems. Then, he saw the timestamp of the announcement of the Superstars released. Two minutes after they called me … fuckers.

Ignoring the DMs for now, he pulled up SARAH’s messages. She had already messaged him to let him know she had just arrived at the store (whilst maintaining social distancing!), and she wouldn’t belong. She was in for a hell of a surprise.

“Yo I just got some bad news. They’ve released me from my contract we’ll talk more when you’re home x”

Rush took a seat on his leather couch, sinking in. Taking a deep breath, he was about to check his DMs when his phone lit up.

A video call from BOBBY LASHLEY.

After the initial pleasantries ... down to business.

LASHLEY: A handful of people were let go, and some are even more pissed than you.

RUSH: Man I don’t even think that’s possible.

There was a brief silence.

RUSH: I ain’t pissed I was let go … I’m pissed about everything man. You know what I’m on about. The heat. Taken off TV … then finally work my way back, only to then get fired to save the company money.

Rush thought back to the heat he had backstage, something over nothing – at least in his eyes.

RUSH: Bet a few guys in the back loved it when they found out.

LASHLEY: It ain’t like that. You know a lot of the guys loved you. Right, a fair amount of people hated you but I’m sure a lot of people hate me too. Listen, you know this’ll only be temporary, right??

RUSH: Meaning?

LASHLEY: Rumour is once everything goes back to normal they’ll look to bring people back.

RUSH: To what? Horde talent again until the next cull.

Lashley sighed. He was good friends with Lio, but even he could get annoyed at this attitude sometimes.

LASHLEY: Look … if you want your job back then make sure to keep your mouth shut.

RUSH: Fuck em.

LASHLEY: I’m tellin you this cause I want to work with you again, but you’re my friend as well. Keep your big mouth shut and you’ll be hired back. You always wanted to wrestle in WWE … don’t ruin it now because of your ego.

Rush immediately felt a sense of anger flow through him.

RUSH: Ego?

Lashley sighed.

LASHLEY: You know what I mean. I gotta go, man. Say Hi to the family for me. And Lio, for the love of God … think before you do anything.

Despite being friendly for years now, an awkward pause occurred between the two friends. Perhaps Rush finally listening and seeing the clarity behind his friend's words.

RUSH: Maybe you are right.

The former WWE employee hung up and sat back on his sofa, mulling over the conversation. He could see where his friend was coming from, but in his eyes, he had been treated horribly by the company and he wasn’t sure if he even wanted to go back if the choice came. It was good money though. The ability to work on the biggest stage may be too tempting.

He finally grabbed his phone and checked his DM’s. The standard ones from some of his friends in wrestling. Messages from the likes of New Day, Angel Garza, and the Street Profits.

Rush pulled up his Twitter feed and began typing.

Lio @itsLioRush:
    Lio Rush was not ready for Covid-19. #futureendeavoured #comebackstronger

Bad taste? Possibly. But, he couldn’t resist. When his friend, TENILLE DASHWOOD was released, he made a similar joke and he felt it was appropriate. It was a joke that generated a lot of heat backstage, but Tenille – or Emma as she was known – took it in good humour.

He went back to his DM’s, fully expecting some backlash from the tweet when he spotted a message. From CHRIS JERICHO.

Chris Jericho @IAmJericho:
    Lio, I wanted to reach out to you and let you know I have a spot on my podcast if you want it. Might be a good chance to speak to your fans and we can chat about what’s next. Can be done over Skype or whatever. Wouldn't be for a few weeks but let me know.

READERS CHOICE:

Choice 1: Speak your mind on the podcast, potentially burning bridges with WWE.

Choice 2: Keep quiet about your frustrations and the backstage heat, in the hopes you are offered a contract to return.

Don’t make me Chang this

Status

Screw them. Choice 1 all day.

RIC FLAIR AND THE NEW HORSEMEN: THE NATURE BOY'S LAST RIDE
    NOW PLAYING IN THE BTB SECTION

WC's Favourite Video Games of the 2010's - The Countdown | The Pokemon Emerald Randomizer Nuzlocke Challenge

I won some BTB awards a while ago...

Chikara Trainee

Status

This is a great idea and yes choice 1 is the way to go

WWF 1997: THE ADVENT OF ATTITUDE - NOW PLAYING IN THE BE THE BOOKER SECTION

READ IT HERE

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Neat idea, something different is always good. I was pretty sad when they released Rush.

So, best of luck with this mate!

Honestly, doesn't seem like much of a choice Haha! For that reason, because I'd like to see what happens that way; I'm going with Option Two.

Only small gripe with this so far, and of course it is obviously the case because you're not going to be able to portray Rush and others 100% correctly; but I feel like some of this has come across as a 'fan' perspective. Like the convo with Hunter; by all accounts Hunter is a big fan and praised him highly before the release so I feel like the convo would have gone differently, where while Rush would have obviously been pissed off and that came across, he came off like he was just speaking to anyone within the WWE hierarchy. Just feel like the convo with Hunter would be more amicable and understanding. I could be wrong.

Also with one line of Rush saying; "To what? Horde talent again until the next cull" - That seems like a line right from the 'IWC' playbook Haha!

Minor, minor issues man. And of course, I could be totally wrong! Either way, I'll be reading this and best of luck! Good start! :D

Curtain Jerker

Status

Choice 1 All the Way. As much chaos as possible.

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

This is so cool to see. I've had ideas in the past of doing a solo BTB about a WWE released superstar (planned out a Moxley one last year and had a Slater one back in 2016 when he wasn't drafted for a few weeks) and have often wondered how a 'choose your adventure' style BTB would go down. It's great to see something different to the norm around here and I'm eager to see how these ideas get executed.

Has to be option 1 for today. I don't think anyone wants to see Rush return straight to WWE in this thread, so lets have the juicy podcast instead. I want to see your best Jericho podcast host impression!

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Option 1 please because Rush shooting could be fun. I love the nod to the lashley team as that was the one time I enjoyed Lashley in WWE

Putting Butts in Seats

Status

Love the uniqueness of this, definitely something to keep track of. Seems like this is going to be fun. Speaking of fun, answer two is way too boring so Option 1 is also my vote.

Shit username since day 1

Status
      Country                    Ireland

There better be a dozen awkward cuts to ads from Jericho with Jericho trying to segueway into them as if it’s still flowing as part of the conversation!

I’d pick option 2 if I wanted to make it more difficult, but option 1 is the pick here. Much bigger opportunity to go wild and have fun with the chance to draw outside the lines.

Underdog

Status

While option 1 is leading, I think superstars venting to Jericho is so overplayed. I'm going for option 2 as that seems harder to do.

-ICONIC-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information