Thread: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Chris Sabin vs The Undertaker

WAKE UP

Status

WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Chris Sabin vs The Undertaker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjLpKUC1th8

Chris Sabin vs Samoa Joe, No Surrender 2005

vs

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The Undertaker vs The Big Show, Cyber Sunday 2008

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Chris Sabin vs The Undertaker

Probably my hottest take in this whole first round.

I went Sabin and it didn't take me long to come to that conclusion. Undertaker is an extremely overrated in-ring worker. The majority of his career fucking sucked. I don't think that's hyperbole either, he was a pretty awful wrestler for a long, long time. And I don't buy the "look who he was wrestling" criticism from his early WWF run because in 2000-2001 he was in one of the most stacked rosters they've ever had and was the worst male wrestler in the company (as far as people that got significant screen time). He improved in 1997, and in the mid 2000s for an annual classic at Wrestlemania, but even that doesn't outweigh the bad/mediocre matches he was still having during that time. There's zero consistency to his work and he turned up for matches when he felt like it. Not to mention that after he found his Wrestlemania formula he whored it out so much that it became tedious to me.

I don't see what distinguishes his career from Triple H's and I didn't nominate him either, and wouldn't vote for him. Periods of being great, great matches, but with the caveat that he was put in positions to have those great matches. Majority of the career just sucked.

Sabin is a really good wrestler. Won't pretend he was great but he was the better half of a really fun tag team, and had some entertaining singles runs as well, especially those early years singles run and his TNA World Title reign. I'm not going to try and pretend he was a great elite wrestler, but any consistent and good worker was going to get my vote over Undertaker.
    Last edited by Shock; 05-10-2020 at 07:43 AM.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status
      Country                    England

I don't think Sabin was GREAT great, but he was a consistently good part of TNA for over a decade, I really loved the MCMG team and he did well in BOSJ a few years back. He did surprisingly well when TNA put the world title on him too.

Taker has some matches I absolutely love, but at best that makes up about 5-10% of his career. I didn't even nom him as it was an in-ring focused tournament.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Taker thought Sim Snuka was enough to catch him. Shows what he knows about wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

I don’t even fully understand why Undertaker was nominated here, save to pad out the numbers. Perhaps he’ll do better in the Best Gimmick tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

WAKE UP

Status

Went with Taker. His prime years were pretty great, much better than Sabin ever was. I like Sabin but you'd struggle to find many particularly good singles matches that aren't against elite tier guys like Joe or Danielson. I like him but he wasn't even a second-tier great kind of guy in the 2000s indy scene, he'd be third or even fourth tier. MCMG have some good matches here and there but are absurdly overrated.

World Champion

Status

i went with Sabin. Takers over rated and his best natches are with guys better than him. Elite guys like Bret and HBK and Angle.

Sabin is really underated and has way more awesome matches than Taker. However i prefer Sabins style way more

It would be awesome if Sabin beats taker in this.
    Last edited by indyfan; 05-10-2020 at 10:58 AM.
    Wrestling fans need to give Ring of Honor a chance again.

WAKE UP

Status

Was Batista a better worker too?

What are the top 5 say Sabin singles matches?

The Joe match is great. ROH title match with Danielson is great but probably not even a Top 10 Danielson title defence. After that it's quite a bit drop and slim pickings. I remember a real good match with Quack in CZW, a good match with Danielson in PWG, the BFG match with Ki.....um.....

Sabin faced guys like Styles, Aries, Daniels, etc all when they were in their prime and matches were solid at best. I'm not seeing Sabin as some underrated top tier talent.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

The Undertaker is arguably the greatest gimmick in the history of pro wrestling, and the man behind it went far above and beyond any expectations throughout his career. When I think of pro wrestling and its spectacle and grandeur aspect, The Undertaker is one of the first characters that come to mind. It will always be that way, and his legacy should be cemented because of it.

That doesn’t mean he was a great in ring worker, and while he had his moments, they amount to Ed’s percentage breakdown of his career. I would have voted either of the Young Bucks over him as well, and most likely pretty much everyone else in this tournament that’s going to lose in the first round.

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Was Batista a better worker too?

What are the top 5 say Sabin singles matches?

The Joe match is great. ROH title match with Danielson is great but probably not even a Top 10 Danielson title defence. After that it's quite a bit drop and slim pickings. I remember a real good match with Quack in CZW, a good match with Danielson in PWG, the BFG match with Ki.....um.....

Sabin faced guys like Styles, Aries, Daniels, etc all when they were in their prime and matches were solid at best. I'm not seeing Sabin as some underrated top tier talent.
    Sabin vs Kazarian tna 2003
    Sabin vs Williams - Turning Point 2004
    Sabin vs Adam Page - ROH Road to the Best in the World Collinsville 2016
    Sabin vs Danielson - ROH Showdown in Motown 2005
    Sabin vs Guerrera in TNA 2003

Then you go into his best tag matches and Taker has zero tags that come close.

Then theres his multi man matches like Styles vs Williams vs Sabin

WAKE UP

Status

Take the Danielson match out and none of those are as good as Taker vs Festus let alone Taker's best stuff. I would say Sabin was easily better than Michael Shane or Petey Williams, but not as good as Jimmy Jacobs or Colt Cabana.

World Champion

Status

Take the Danielson match out and none of those are as good as Taker vs Festus let alone Taker's best stuff. I would say Sabin was easily better than Michael Shane or Petey Williams, but not as good as Jimmy Jacobs or Colt Cabana.
    then i guess we will have agree to disagree here. I mean those matches i posted are great to really great imo. im not even saying sabins best match is better than takers best match( a toss up between vs HBK at hitc or vs Bret in uk) but Sabins singles work with his amazing tag work pushes him way past Taker.

i cant even think of a Taker tag match that is amazing. most are passable, maybe even good.

Colt Cabana....come on brah

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status
      Country                    England

I'm blanking here. There was a good Taker/Fetus match?
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    then i guess we will have agree to disagree here. I mean those matches i posted are great to really great imo. im not even saying sabins best match is better than takers best match( a toss up between vs HBK at hitc or vs Bret in uk) but Sabins singles work with his amazing tag work pushes him way past Taker.

i cant even think of a Taker tag match that is amazing. most are passable, maybe even good.

Colt Cabana....come on brah
    The tag match point is really strange. The guy wasn't a tag team wrestler, so why does that matter? Off head Taker/Batista vs Cena/Michaels was really good, but the point is still moot. We'll just disagree though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I'm blanking here. There was a good Taker/Fetus match?
    Yes. They had a match on Smackdown which was a real good big man match. Granted, Gallows was awesome, but I'd still take that over countless X-Division spotfests.

World Champion

Status

The tag match point is really strange. The guy wasn't a tag team wrestler, so why does that matter? Off head Taker/Batista vs Cena/Michaels was really good, but the point is still moot. We'll just disagree though.

Yes. They had a match on Smackdown which was a real good big man match. Granted, Gallows was awesome, but I'd still take that over countless X-Division spotfests.
    if Taker never had a tag match id agree its a moot point.

Im also someone who loves x division / cruiserweight style matches

The Flow

Status

Went with Sabin but I definitely considered voting Taker

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

Taker is probably the least consistent in WWE history, quality wise, but he's got an easy opponent in Chris Sabin. Although I really dug Sabin early in his career, I found him to be largely overrated after 2006. In general, I wasn't a fan of MCMG especially with their laughably overrated TNA matches. Sabin's brief main event push was cool, but it's not enough to beat a guy that kept reinventing himself and finding quality long after expectations.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

How is Sabin over Taker a hot take? He was a much better worker in nearly every way wrestling-wise. Just never had the gimmick or spotlight.

Taker's the overrated one of these two, not Sabin.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Taker's the overrated one of these two, not Sabin.
    I don't see an argument for Taker being overrated. Even his biggest fans admit that he was involved in plenty of pure shit.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

The fact that he's involved in this tournament is an excellent argument for him being overrated as an in-ring worker on this very forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information