Thread: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Greg Valentine vs Dynamite Kid

WAKE UP

Status

WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Greg Valentine vs Dynamite Kid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEVBwUnaUbU

Greg Valentine vs Ron Garvin, MSG 30/9/1989

vs

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Dynamite Kid vs Tatsumi Fujinami, 2/5/1980

Re: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Greg Valentine vs Dynamite Kid

Although I loved Valentine, I found this poll to be really easy. Thanks to Dyno's back injury, he had a little over a decade's worth of work before having to retire. Before his 1986 back injury, I'd go as far as to claim he was one of the best workers in the world. I know some on this board isn't too high on Dynamite or his series with Tiger Mask, but they had a legendary series that became an early blueprint for Cruiserweight classics. As a member of The British Bulldogs, Dynamite was partially responsible for bringing in a new, faster style into the WWE. The Bulldogs greatly helped improve the WWE tag team scene with that time period still being regarded was one of the best time periods in WWE history for tag team wrestling. While this isn't something you necessarily want to brag about for obvious reasons, Dynamite inspired loads of future wrestlers, some of which became even better workers than he was. For a Cruiserweight and a tag team wrestler, Dynamite influenced wrestling so much.

Then there's Valentine. He had some great years, both before his main run in the WWE and even during the WWE. He's still wrestling today, meanwhile, he hadn't been consistently good since the 80s. Maybe if he would have stepped away from wrestling in 1989, you could solely look at his positive years, but Valentine is an example of a wrestler that hung around so long that it's difficult to remember when he was an asset. Compared that to Dyno, who spearheaded a change in North American wrestling and was forced to prematurely retire and Valentine doesn't come close to being as good overall as Dynamite.

WAKE UP

Status

I think most would agree Dyno had the bigger influence, though when you start living through the Davey Richards years you start wondering if that's a good thing or not.

In all seriousness, I'm in the "Dyno is overrated" camp, but still think he was really good and am a big fan of the Bulldogs as a team. I went with Hammer as I think he was more consistent, I enjoy his top stuff more, and I can't remember many matches which I thought stunk like some of the Dyno spotfests, but this definitely should be a close one and Dyno belongs in the convo.

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    In all seriousness, I'm in the "Dyno is overrated" camp, but still think he was really good and am a big fan of the Bulldogs as a team. I went with Hammer as I think he was more consistent, I enjoy his top stuff more, and I can't remember many matches which I thought stunk like some of the Dyno spotfests, but this definitely should be a close one and Dyno belongs in the convo.
    Honestly, most of Valentine's matches in the 90s sucked. The 90s began on a high note with the very end of the Ron Garvin feud, but after that, you had Rhythms and Blues, Valentine one of the worst babyface runs in WWE history, jumping to WCW to team with Terry Taylor that was okay at best, a few WWE appearances including a god awful Survivor Series match under a mask, and another run in WCW during the Monday Night Wars that saw Valentine as a jobber.

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

I don't mind Dynamite Kid but Valentine is one of my favourite wrestlers of all time

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Two noted pretty big assholes in real life go at it.

I went with the Hammer and Dynamite is overrated by some and underrated by others. I would take him over Sayama hands down even though I don't love their matches together. Hammer had great stuff throughout his career but there's no doubt his 90's sucked. Hell, he still wrestles today pretty much when the price is right.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Very tough match up. Both have their notable matches. Valentine and Backlund's 60 minute draw comes to mind. Dynamite against Fujinami and, despite how messy it is, the last TM match. The lows are pretty low though. For both. Heart says Valentine.

Thread Information