Status

WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Rick Martel vs David Starr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS2o5HIOpn0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHSHuq4B7vA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziL7uMTTxBw

Rick Martel & Roddy Piper vs Buddy Rose & Ed Wiskowski, 2/8/1980

vs

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

David Starr vs WALTER, 16 Carat Gold 2019

World Champion

Status

Re: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Rick Martel vs David Starr

Martel is severly under rated. amazing babyface worker
    Wrestling fans need to give Ring of Honor a chance again.

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Watched the 2/3 tag match. Martel looks like a good babyface.

David Starr is a best in the world level guy, highly versatile and the best storyteller going today. Doesn't have many years on the clock, but he's turning into one of my favourite wrestlers ever so I'm going with him here.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

WAKE UP

Status

Starr shouldn't be anywhere near this as far as I'm concerned. Good nuts and bolts guy way too self indulgent and I think you have to be really on board with the current British/Euro wrestling scene to think he's that good, which I am not. This is the one place that seems to rate him that high, I don't see much else praise for him being this level.

I'm not sure Martel is quite as top tier as some say, but he was a great worker in his prime and delivered in a number of terriroties. Technically a great worker, good personality, could bring the emotion to a match and mix things up depending on the situation.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

My problem with saying Starr is a best in the world candidate, which may be true, is that this is an “all time” tournament. Starr simply hasn’t been around long enough for me to feel comfortable voting for him.

10 years from now? Different story, dependent on his career trajectory.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I like Martel. Seen some of his AWA matches against Bockwinkel and Jumbo and he came out looking great of them. I like the Strike Force team as well.

Starr is tricky because he is in his prime now and it's hard to see if he'll withstand the test of time. Do I see him being someone I look back on as an all time great wrestler? Honestly no. I think he'll be seen like Dean Malenko or someone of the same ilk.

I think I'll got with Martel.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Martel is far, FAR superior in-ring wise to Starr even if I loved him. Like Fuji said he's been in the spotlight for like 2 years. Also hard agree with Steve on a personal level that personally I'm not that enamored with him at all anyway. Total "you must like Britwres to think he's good" candidate.

Martel is absolutely one of the best in-ring performers in my opinion. Him AWA was a revelation. His one thing holding him back is things went downhill as the Model, but even then he portrayed his role and was entertaining in it, even if that role wasn't to be a great worker anymore. But that babyface 80's run hoo-boy. Absolutely amazing in Portland and AWA and as I mentioned in the Tito thread Strike Force was one of the best teams of the 80's. Elite tier among US workers.

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    My problem with saying Starr is a best in the world candidate, which may be true, is that this is an “all time” tournament. Starr simply hasn’t been around long enough for me to feel comfortable voting for him.

10 years from now? Different story, dependent on his career trajectory.
    I think this is the fairest criticism, out of everyone nominated (apart from maybe Thatcher), he's only been nominated on the basis of the last 5 years or so. It is quite a short time to vote over someone with 20 odd years. I totally get it and think Starr would probably lose any match he was drawn into on that basis.

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Starr is tricky because he is in his prime now and it's hard to see if he'll withstand the test of time. Do I see him being someone I look back on as an all time great wrestler? Honestly no. I think he'll be seen like Dean Malenko or someone of the same ilk.
    I have no idea where you got the Malenko comparison from or how that even works. Starr's not an overly technical one note guy that lacks charisma and and wrestles in the midcard. If anything he might end up more well known for his promos and feuds when it's all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Martel is far, FAR superior in-ring wise to Starr even if I loved him. Like Fuji said he's been in the spotlight for like 2 years. Also hard agree with Steve on a personal level that personally I'm not that enamored with him at all anyway. Total "you must like Britwres to think he's good" candidate.
    Nah I think that's BS tbh Zero. He's the ace of Beyond Wrestling and there was more than just European wrestling fans touting that ironman match with Janela (JOEY FUCKING JANELA!) as a MOTYC, and his feud with Kingston in AAW was the best and most well received thing that promotion has done in the last 5 years so it's fairly obvious that Americans like him too. His path in life took him to Europe where he became one of the top workers there (so naturally Europeans like him a little more because they see him more), had he stayed in the US he'd of had more of a claim of being one of the top workers of the US indies.

Martel is absolutely one of the best in-ring performers in my opinion. Him AWA was a revelation. His one thing holding him back is things went downhill as the Model, but even then he portrayed his role and was entertaining in it, even if that role wasn't to be a great worker anymore. But that babyface 80's run hoo-boy. Absolutely amazing in Portland and AWA and as I mentioned in the Tito thread Strike Force was one of the best teams of the 80's. Elite tier among US workers.
    This type of praise is blowing my mind. I've had the pleasure of talking wrestling with you lads for 10 years now, and I don't think I've ever seen you guys say things like Martel is one of the greatest wrestlers ever and here's all the must-see matches of his career etc. You've been holding out on me if he's this good. I'll be interested to see how deep he goes in this if he has such strong backers.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I have no idea where you got the Malenko comparison from or how that even works. Starr's not an overly technical one note guy that lacks charisma and and wrestles in the midcard. If anything he might end up more well known for his promos and feuds when it's all said and done.
    I mean in how Malenko is looked at in general, not wrestling style. People generally see him as a very good wrestler but not elite level. But youe point about how he will likely well known for his promos makes sense as well.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

You're right, Ed. That was a bad swipe at Britwres when actually US indie wrestling is also terrible now. I won't deny Starr's had some big matches but whatever country he's in I don't love him on that level.

I've said many times Martel is extremely my jam and I voted him in my top 25 of Greatest Wrestler Ever, only 1 spot behind Misawa and I'm pretty sure ahead of Steamboat and that was 4 years ago. If you ever wanna talk about 80's wrestling more we can, TBH I just always thought you didn't like that stuff as much as modern.

I think that if you haven't seen him outside of WWF you can be a little like "huh?" on Martel getting praised to that level but he was legit one of the best in the 80's anywhere IMO and as I said, Strike Force is one of the best working tag teams in WWF for their era, maybe any era.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

80s wrestling is definitely an underrepresented topic on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I think that if you haven't seen him outside of WWF you can be a little like "huh?" on Martel getting praised to that level but he was legit one of the best in the 80's anywhere IMO and as I said, Strike Force is one of the best working tag teams in WWF for their era, maybe any era.
    I have a difficult time rating Strike Force. They were good, but they only lasted just under a year in the WWE.

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I have a difficult time rating Strike Force. They were good, but they only lasted just under a year in the WWE.
    It was longer than that. they started in 1987 and ended at wm 5. Not much longer but still

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    It was longer than that. they started in 1987 and ended at wm 5. Not much longer but still
    No, it wasn't. Rick Martel went out with his back injury in mid 1988. That Wrestlemania 5 match was just an one night deal.

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    No, it wasn't. Rick Martel went out with his back injury in mid 1988. That Wrestlemania 5 match was just an one night deal.
    Oh yeah good call.

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

I really enjoy Starr but Martel is one guy I always enjoy watching when I watch '80s wrestling

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

Thread Information