Thread: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Austin Aries vs Jake Roberts

WAKE UP

Status

WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Austin Aries vs Jake Roberts

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1hs411u7GE/

Austin Aries vs Jimmy Jacobs, Rising Above 2009

vs

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Jake Roberts vs Ricky Steamboat, Boston Garden 8/9/1986

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Austin Aries vs Jake Roberts

I don't see an in-ring argument for Jake Roberts at all. Aries is a tremendous, tremendous wrestler with some amazing matches to his name, and was very good for a long time. I'm hoping he goes far if he gets some favourable draws.

He's one of the few whose TNA run actually strengthens his case too.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

I think the biggest praise Jake has ever got was the Savage match and I didn't think it was a blow-away classic. Just a very good short match with a hot angle. That seems like the extend of Jake as an in-ring guy. Aries has more traditonal matches to his resume. Aries was consistently one of my favourites when I was big into TNA for 2012-14 having solid matches weekly in many roles.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    I think the biggest praise Jake has ever got was the Savage match and I didn't think it was a blow-away classic. Just a very good short match with a hot angle. That seems like the extend of Jake as an in-ring guy.
    Roberts had a series of matches with Ricky Steamboat around the horn in 1986, including the Snake Pit match at The Big Event, which are all better than the Savage one. Honestly, I've never heard anyone praise that Savage match as his best, though there's a lot of talk about the angle afterwards.

I voted for Aries, but I'd suggest checking out those Steamboat ones just to see that Jake was more than just that one match.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

World Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

Yeah, Roberts is great at a lot of things and I think in a sense, he was just such a good character worker that he never needed to be an awesome worker. Besides that, I think there was the demons he was dealing with that meant his peak of performance wasn't very long. Aries on the other hand is a worker first and foremost, and also happens to be very charismatic. For me, Aries takes this one hands down. Now that I'm thinking about it, it sucks that Aries has the attitude he has. Would have loved for the guy to get a high level WrestleMania or SummerSlam match at some point.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Roberts had a series of matches with Ricky Steamboat around the horn in 1986, including the Snake Pit match at The Big Event, which are all better than the Savage one. Honestly, I've never heard anyone praise that Savage match as his best, though there's a lot of talk about the angle afterwards.

I voted for Aries, but I'd suggest checking out those Steamboat ones just to see that Jake was more than just that one match.
    Would echo this - I literally have posted one of their matches in the OP which is excellent. There is some good Roberts stuff pre-WWE, but not enough for me to consider him above Aries.

I disagree with The Big Event match being a standout, but if that's the Boston Garden match I'm thinking of, it's fantastic. Easily Roberts' best WWE match and one of the best planned out with Roberts' great counter strategy to Steamboat's chops. At the same time, I don't even think Roberts would claim he was a top notch worker. He was typically solid, but it also depended on the time period and his opponent. Occasionally, Roberts would produce a bit of a hidden gem such as the Boston Garden Steamboat match, against Mr. Perfect on the Coliseum Home Video - Supertape III, or some of his house show matches against Ted DiBiase (They could also be the drizzling shits though). Amazing talker and he had a really memorable character for the time period. He never needed to be good in the ring.

Aries has had some rough periods in his career, but there were times where he was also great.

World Champion

Status

Most of Steamboat vs Roberts matches were great. They had 2 from Boston and they were both great( 6/27/86 and 8/9/86) . Theres a MSG match thats good too. It was right after the ddt on the floor. That year is Roberts best year as far as in ring and character imo.

He had a great match vs Tito Santana from Houston 86. its on Primetime in January of 87

There a really good match vs Greg Valentine from Primetime may 9 1988 .
    Wrestling fans need to give Ring of Honor a chance again.

Thread Information