• PAC

9 52.94%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Rick Rude vs PAC

WAKE UP

Status

WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Rick Rude vs PAC

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Rick Rude vs Ricky Steamboat, Beach Blast 1992

vs

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1ub411Y7iC/

PAC vs AJ Styles, All Star Weekend IV

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: WCBNAINWOATT Round 1: Rick Rude vs PAC

PAC for me. When you look at their respective peaks, PAC has been a top tier talent for what, six/seven years now? That's longer than Rude's peak by some distance. Their high end matches are about equal for me (even as far as Ironman matches go of all things). But PAC has more matches I've enjoyed, is one of my favourite wrestlers in the world, whereas I don't love Rude as a wrestler outside of a couple of years in the early 90s.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Rude feels like someone that peaked as a performer in those last few years before the injury happened. As good as he might of been in the 80s, I don't think that's going to be enough to topple PAC here who has been a pretty great wrestler for the last decade and has at points looked BITW great.

I'm going PAC.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

I don't think there is a great deal between these two in all honesty. My vote goes with PAC but there really isn't anything between them.
    I have a plan so cunning......

#ShadeWinsLOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Rude feels like someone that peaked as a performer in those last few years before the injury happened.
    Really? To me, he was never the same after his 1992 neck injury. As a result, his 1993-1994 tends to be really disappointing. His mid 1994 back injury saved him from putting in even more years of being a subpar wrestler.

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Really? To me, he was never the same after his 1992 neck injury. As a result, his 1993-1994 tends to be really disappointing. His mid 1994 back injury saved him from putting in even more years of being a subpar wrestler.
    Sorry I did mean before his first injury, I forgot he wrestled on for a bit longer after that.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

WAKE UP

Status

Shocked how this one is going. I was really struggling to think of pre-WWE PAC matches I though were GOOD, let alone thought were GREAT. I enjoyed his WWE run but I couldn't name a single truly great match he's had. I liked the Omega and OC matches but they aren't on the same level as Rude's best. Rude vs Steamer is one of the best matches in WCW history, and the Rude vs Warrior matches are some of the biggest carryjobs you'll see. PAC pre-WWE was a shitty vanilla spotmonkey, the NXT stuff was good but more Sami than him. Other than that I feel like I'm missing something because nothing I've seen in AEW feels particularly stand-out.

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Shocked how this one is going. I was really struggling to think of pre-WWE PAC matches I though were GOOD, let alone thought were GREAT. I enjoyed his WWE run but I couldn't name a single truly great match he's had. I liked the Omega and OC matches but they aren't on the same level as Rude's best. Rude vs Steamer is one of the best matches in WCW history, and the Rude vs Warrior matches are some of the biggest carryjobs you'll see. PAC pre-WWE was a shitty vanilla spotmonkey, the NXT stuff was good but more Sami than him. Other than that I feel like I'm missing something because nothing I've seen in AEW feels particularly stand-out.
    He had a super great match vs Generico in PWG. He also had a great match vs Danielson in ROH and Roddy too. I remember him having a great match vs Yamato in DGUSA.

Rick Rude is awesome but i cant see him near Pac
    Wrestling fans need to give Ring of Honor a chance again.

WAKE UP

Status

I remember all 3 of those Generico vs PAC matches, they were the drizzling shits spotfests. When people say "flippy dippy bullshit", those are the matches that come to mind. The Danielson match was OK - wouldn't make Danielson's Top 300 matches though.

World Champion

Status

I remember all 3 of those Generico vs PAC matches, they were the drizzling shits spotfests. When people say "flippy dippy bullshit", those are the matches that come to mind. The Danielson match was OK - wouldn't make Danielson's Top 300 matches though.
    Yeah but they were actually amazing spotfests though.

Also his match vs Roddy at 5th year festival Liverpool and his match vs Sydal the next night were both bonkers great.

And i don't know man, his match vs Danielson was pretty awesome
    Last edited by indyfan; 05-05-2020 at 02:43 PM.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Rude's peak is phenomenal. I think I'm the highest on the Chono match (both of them, even the HH 92 match), the Superbrawl and Beach Blast matches with Steamboat are both fantastic, he is in tons of great DA tags that year as well. He peaks extremely high. However, there isn't much else outside of that period where he is consistnely great. The Piper cagematch is very good. He gets maybe the second best Warrior match out of him.

PAC peaks lower but he is far more consistenly good. His AEW run has been full of solidly good matches. I love his run as Dream Gate champion with good-great matches against Ben-K, Kzy and Masato Yoshino and in DG in general (ignore that awful Flamita match though please ). PAC in NXT as champion was a good run too. A classic match with Sami Zayn which was preceeded by many good defences agaisnt Tyson Kidd, Tyler Breeze, an decent match against Bo Dallas, etc. Even as CW champion, he had a few matches against Akira Tozawa that was really good.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Take out 1989-1992 for Rude and what do you have? A largely boring, mediocre wrestler. In his peak, he had good chemistry with Warrior but even those matches are a bit overhyped. Hell even in those years I couldn't tell you a memorable thing he did in 1989, 1990 or 1991 outside of the aforementioned Warrior matches. In 1992 he was great but he also wrestled an insanely talented roster and wasn't so good when he faced off against the weaker opponents (like the Sting matches were terribly boring). I don't think those four years are better than PACs best, and PAC has been at that standard for longer now.

Rude is overrated because he had an entertaining gimmick and character, and benefited from one peak in one promotion when surrounded by much better wrestlers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Take out 1989-1992 for Rude and what do you have? A largely boring, mediocre wrestler. In his peak, he had good chemistry with Warrior but even those matches are a bit overhyped. Hell even in those years I couldn't tell you a memorable thing he did in 1989, 1990 or 1991 outside of the aforementioned Warrior matches. In 1992 he was great but he also wrestled an insanely talented roster and wasn't so good when he faced off against the weaker opponents (like the Sting matches were terribly boring). I don't think those four years are better than PACs best, and PAC has been at that standard for longer now.

Rude is overrated because he had an entertaining gimmick and character, and benefited from one peak in one promotion when surrounded by much better wrestlers.
    Although 1989 brings Rude a lot of hype for the Warrior program, his Roddy Piper feud produced better matches. Those Piper matches were Rude's best in WWE.

1990 was mostly just re-building Rude and putting him back with Warrior to produce some solid stuff.

1991 was Rude sitting out the rest of his contract before finally being able to re-join WCW in October. His Clash of the Champions match with Sting in November is a pretty memorable angle though. Rather than producing quality matches, those couple of months was just about Rude instantly walking back into WCW and becoming their #1 heel.

WAKE UP

Status

What Rude have you seen pre-WWF? The guy worked for several territories before arriving in Vince-land. I haven't seen much so aren't going to put a strong argument there (seen some Memphis Rude which was very good), but saying "take out the years we know he's good" isn't much of an argument. I'd agree he had some duds and there were guys he had chemistry with.

That said, it's still not much of a PRO-PAC case.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

What Rude have you seen pre-WWF? The guy worked for several territories before arriving in Vince-land. I haven't seen much so aren't going to put a strong argument there (seen some Memphis Rude which was very good), but saying "take out the years we know he's good" isn't much of an argument. I'd agree he had some duds and there were guys he had chemistry with.

That said, it's still not much of a PRO-PAC case.
    I haven't seen anything pre-WWF, and I don't really have any interest in. I don't care for him as a wrestler in his WWF years, I only like him in WCW 1992 where he was excellent, and I don't like him after that. He's not someone I would actively go out of my way to go and watch because in the six or so years of his I have watched, I enjoyed one of his as a wrestler.

PACs arguments have been said in this thread, I'd just be repeating them. He was great in NXT for his entire run there. He was good on Raw despite not being showcased all the time, and always shined when given the opportunity. His King of the Cruiserweights was loads of fun. His AEW run has been amazing, with the Omega matches being truly superb (the ironman would be my MOTY for this year probably). His ROH run was mediocre-at-best, his PWG stuff was PWG stuff so you take it for what it's worth - it's that kind of style. His peak has been longer than Rude's, he's far more consistent, has a load of good-great matches to his name, and he's one of my favourite wrestlers in the world right now. That puts him well above Rude all things considered.

World Champion

Status

Rude had some great matches teaming with Manny Fernandez against RNR express

WAKE UP

Status

Omega vs PAC matches being amazing feels like some very quick revisionist history. Even here I don't remember there being much fanfare for the PPV matches beyond them being fine. They were fine workrate matches though I did like the Ironman match. But I'll just accept we aren't going to see eye to eye on this one at all.

World Champion

Status

I haven't seen anything pre-WWF, and I don't really have any interest in. I don't care for him as a wrestler in his WWF years, I only like him in WCW 1992 where he was excellent, and I don't like him after that. He's not someone I would actively go out of my way to go and watch because in the six or so years of his I have watched, I enjoyed one of his as a wrestler.

PACs arguments have been said in this thread, I'd just be repeating them. He was great in NXT for his entire run there. He was good on Raw despite not being showcased all the time, and always shined when given the opportunity. His King of the Cruiserweights was loads of fun. His AEW run has been amazing, with the Omega matches being truly superb (the ironman would be my MOTY for this year probably). His ROH run was mediocre-at-best, his PWG stuff was PWG stuff so you take it for what it's worth - it's that kind of style. His peak has been longer than Rude's, he's far more consistent, has a load of good-great matches to his name, and he's one of my favourite wrestlers in the world right now. That puts him well above Rude all things considered.
    How? He had 3 or 4 great matches. Unless you mean...since it was a such a little run, then i can agree.

Слава Україні!

Status
      Country                    Ukraine

I'm a huge fan of Rick Rude personally, and while PAC is fine in his own right, Rude takes it for me, (Also because I'm choosing to ignore his post injury stuff)

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Omega vs PAC matches being amazing feels like some very quick revisionist history. Even here I don't remember there being much fanfare for the PPV matches beyond them being fine. They were fine workrate matches though I did like the Ironman match. But I'll just accept we aren't going to see eye to eye on this one at all.
    Yeah I think I was pimping the Ironman match as my MOTY as soon as it happened. With wrestling being the way it is I don't think that's going to change anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    How? He had 3 or 4 great matches. Unless you mean...since it was a such a little run, then i can agree.
    I honestly cannot remember PAC doing anything apart from the crap match he had with Davey Richards at Manhattan Mayhem. Even the Danielson and Strong matches I know I've watched but can't remember a thing about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information