Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shade reviews The Ultimate Fighter!

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    England

Shade reviews The Ultimate Fighter!

Oh Lord help me with this one haha!

I know it has been a while since I've contributed to this section but this has been something I've been wanting to do for a while now I'm not going to lie. Even before everything that has been going on with the world. I have been an MMA fan for many years now and in that time I have seen the sport grow and as we have heard countlessly one of the main reasons for this growth has been due to the Ultimate Fighter. So in this thread I am going to watch each season episode by episode which in some cases as we know will be a lot of fun while in others I'm going to be needing a lot of booze myself to get through haha. I won't be going in order with this as truthfully while I have the first 15 seasons on DVD. I caved and watched a few which worked recently only to find others didn't. Thankfully I have fight pass so I've got the means to check them all out. What I'm gonna try and do with this as well. Is just not only watch it with a fresh perspective but talk about who impressed me, who didn't, who if I was watching it for the first time I'd have picked to win and if I was in that situation whose team would I rather be on. I hope you guys enjoy this journey with me.. So let's get it on!

Upcoming Reviews
    TUF Smashes
    TUF 17
    TUF 18
    Last edited by Shade; 05-12-2020 at 06:45 PM.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: Shade reviews The Ultimate Fighter!

Is this going to be episode by episode or more of a season by season breakdown postwise?

Down to contribute of course. TUF 1 was so good.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Heel Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    Is this going to be episode by episode or more of a season by season breakdown postwise?

Down to contribute of course. TUF 1 was so good.
    I'm going to just do a bulk post on the season overall one at a time. Might change the format up as it goes but definitely seems to be easier especially when it comes to the more disappointing seasons.

Heel Champion

Status

Shade's TUF Reviews #1

Team Penn vs Team Pulver

So straight up this is probably my favorite season of the Ultimate Fighter and for me one of if not it's best season. I would honestly say for most part that I feel some of The Ultimate Fighter's Strongest seasons have been when they have introduced new weight classes. Looking back at this season it was really fun to see just how many well known fighters had come from this. I'd say going in especially at the time everyone expected BJ Penn to be this amazing coach as he was one of the best fighters in the world and is definitely one of the greatest of all time in that weight class. Jens meanwhile was being written off from the beginning which was shown by BJ's epic move of asking who wants to be with him and who wants fuck all to do with Pulver . The truth was however over the course of the season that Jens' was in fact the better coach overall. The more I watched the show while I found BJ at times entertaining. I thought to myself if I was there, one hundred percent I would want to be on Jen's team. Because he was a great coach who truly supported his fighters. If you want proof of that one moment in particular which stood out to me was his dogged defense that Manny Gamburyan was one of the best fighters on the show despite both BJ and Dana writing him off. Now personally I've never been impressed with Manny and in truth I'd still class Nate, Lauzon, Gray and possibly Matt Wiman as being above him despite Manny beating two of that list on the show.

Onto the fighters brought in this season. I think as we've seen in a lot of seasons there was a huge skill difference between the very best of the bunch which was definitely a young Nate Diaz and the worst who in my eyes would be a very overmatched pro wrestler turned MMA fighter Wayne Weems. I'd go as far to say that if Rob Emerson wasn't losing in the opening round as he fought twice, that the fight was very much a mismatch. Because we'd see Manny, Joe, Wiman, Gray and Cole Miller all have an easy time in defeating their opponents while to his credit Rob Emerson who I have found to be quite an under appreciated fighter. Emerson fought twice first having quite a fun back and forth scrap with Nate Diaz. Before he'd lose quite a close bout to Corey Hill which I having rewatched the fight honestly felt that Emerson should have been the one to get his hand raised. On this note I have to say that I found myself rooting quite a lot for Corey Hill. While at first it was easy to just see him as some erratic over the top individual barking at people. When you learn that he's lied and got on this show without having a pro fight and how he's a family man who knows none of the famous fighters brought into coach him haha. It's such a shame knowing that a horrific injury would be on the horizon for his career and sadly he'd die only a few years ago. Because honestly with his size it genuinely seemed like he had potential.

So you'll notice until now I've refrained from mentioning two of the more notorious cast mates from this season. The first of which was of course Gabe Ruediger and on paper Gabe had to be a contender in this tournament. While I don't think he'd have made the finals if you was to rank all 16 guys who made it this season. He for me personally would have been in the top 6 skill wise. Unfortunately or rather fortunately for us viewers Gabe wasn't on this show to fight. Instead he was on the show to get infamy and to his credit he did that. His greatest opponent was the scale and his weight cut at least we thought until we'd see him not stopping eating. Hands down one of the funniest ultimate fighter moments is him laying face down naked by the pool while BJ Penn and others basically gave up and just began laughing about him. While it's a shame that someone else more serious about the competition could have had that place. The truth was it was fantastic viewing. The other mention goes to the warrior Andy Wang. So this is the beauty of me rewatching this now compared to back when it first aired. Is back than young me hadn't coached anyone to fight so I actually sympathised and felt bad for Andy. Now however I have a different perspective having had my own ups and downs with students. End of the day Wang was a skilled grappler and if he was in a situation similar to Demian Maia against Anderson Silva. Where he couldn't get his opponent down and was forced to stand with him, I'd sympathise fully with him. But Wang didn't even try and he chose to brawl with Brandon Melendez who by no means was a lightweight. In fact we'd see numerous times Melendez was a welterweight draining himself to make weight and Wang didn't try once to take him down.

While BJ kicking him off his team come off out of nowhere. I can totally understand where he was coming from and yet again we see a case of Jens caring about his guys because while he was in his right to make a decision on his own back. He instead chose to ask his team their thoughts on taking a 9th guy despite Wang again making a dick of himself by not wanting this second chance. Overall you could see Jen's again was the better coach and that his team just worked together well. Whereas BJ's team didn't really seem to click that well which was commented on throughout. Wasn't surprised in the end to see Nate Diaz make it to the finals as honestly I'd say that he and Joe Lauzon were the two favorites to win this show. How we've never got to see that fight I don't know. Shame is we won't see that fight now with their trajectories and Joe potentially retiring. Despite that this was a great season and definitely one I'd recommend for MMA fans who have not watched it to check out.

Who I'd have picked to win on first watch - Joe Lauzon and Nate Diaz were the top two guys in this season at the time and it showed. So having watched it I definitely would have selected either one of them while keeping Gray Maynard as an outsider purely thanks to his wrestling.

Best Fight - Rob Emerson vs Nate Diaz. This was a fun fight and honestly I think as I said before Emerson is quite under appreciated. While Diaz was handily winning Rob showed a ton of heart in scrapping with him the way he did.

Honorable Best Fight - Noah Thomas vs Marlon Sims. The fight they should have redone at the finals and in the later seasons you know they would have. I know this might be a controversial opinion but this for me was the moment of the show. For the record I do also agree with Dana's decision about punishing Berube. While these two had got to that point of throwing down, he did massively instigate and encourage that fight.

Who I saw potential in -

Corey Hill: So I'm not going to be mentioning individuals here who we know obviously become top fighters. Instead I'm going with 2 individuals the first of which was Corey Hill. While inexperienced Corey with his size alone was a problem and his fight with Nate Diaz was very close given the lack of experience.

Cole Miller: Obviously he had a solid UFC career but something has to be said for Cole's Ultimate Fighter run. He got a nice finish over Alan Berube in the opening round to set the ball rolling for Team Pulver. But it was in defeat against Joe Lauzon that he stood out. Because until he took an unfortunate illegal blow to the back of the head. I'd go as far to say that Cole was winning that fight.

Best Team - Team Pulver. This one wasn't even close. Jen's was a great coach who did his best for his fighters and it showed.

Who I despised -

Andy Wang: Like I said the first time I watched this I sympathised with Wang. On the rewatched I really didn't. He totally gave that fight away after promising his coaches he'd listen. But at least he is a warrior right?

Karo Parisyan: Man he wasn't on the show but in his one appearance Karo come off like an absolute prick. While he was there to support Manny and that's fair enough it was his treatment of Nate which didn't put him in the best of lights. He really thought he could clown Nate and that Nate wouldn't react. He really didn't look good in that moment.

Thoughts overall - A great season through and through with some tremendous talent involved. Plus some of the house drama was very entertaining to watch. This is a season I'd recommend.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Love this thread already, Shade. This is awesome. First recap is definitely a nice reminder of how STACKED this season of TUF was. Gabe lying naked is easily one of the best moments in TUF history, stoked it got a mention.

Looking forward to seeing more of this, great stuff.

Heel Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Stojy View Post
    Love this thread already, Shade. This is awesome. First recap is definitely a nice reminder of how STACKED this season of TUF was. Gabe lying naked is easily one of the best moments in TUF history, stoked it got a mention.

Looking forward to seeing more of this, great stuff.
    Cheers Stojy mate. Glad you enjoyed the review. Season 5 definitely did have a stacked talent roster which I do find with those seasons of tuf in which they introduce new weight classes. Gabe was insanely watchable throughout his episodes and honestly it made for great television haha. Hoping to get my next review up today actually as I'm not gonna lie I basically binged watched seasons 5, 3, 2, 6, 7 and 14 on DVD before using fight pass to go with 13, 12, 8 and 9 so far. So unless something pressing comes up those will be the order for now.
    Last edited by Shade; 04-21-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Heel Champion

Status

Shade reviews the Ultimate Fighter

The Ultimate Fighter Season 3

Onto my second review and I think it is safe to say that the third season made for a stark contrast to the two that happened before it. As this season marked the first time we truly had a beef between the coaches Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock. Now similar to what I said with season 5, I think it's fun looking back knowing that everyone had high expectations for one coach and not the other. Yet in reality they couldn't be more wrong. Because yes while Tito Ortiz as we all know can be arrogant and definitely full of himself. Damned if he didn't make for quite the excellent coach on this season. Again shown to be giving to his fighters but also working them non stop to push their cardio. Tito was a pleasant surprise in that regard whereas Ken Shamrock was a major disappointment. Which is a shame for me to say as I really like Ken Shamrock. I liked him in the WWF and for most part I liked him in MMA. Yet for whatever reason Tito Ortiz was really able to bring the worst out in him which we'd see over the course of this season. I don't know if it was down to being competitive or whatever but it seemed the only good thing Ken was able to do on this season was win the coaches' challenge.

With the talent as well this was the first time the ultimate fighter had gone international with a few guys as they brought in both Michael Bisping and Ross Pointon. Bisping you could tell pretty early was the cream of the crop from his weight class this season. He destroyed both of his opponents on the show and honestly it would have been fascinating to see how the final would have gone it Matt Hammill didn't get hurt. Speaking of Matt Hammill now he did get some ill feeling towards him for a lot of the season. Part of it definitely was down to him not really being able to communicate with the boys and very much being childish. The other part was that Matt was cocky and overaggressive. For the record I personally felt that a lot of the hate directed to Matt come from the fact that Tito really wanted him to do well and really tried to build him up. Because in a competitive background like this you begin to question why is he getting that and not me. I want to give special mention here to Ross Pointon actually because while yes Ross did come off a little stubborn. I couldn't help but root for the guy just a little bit. He was undersized massively for both weight classes really and yet he didn't back down from fighting the tallest in the weight Kendall Grove or going up a weight to rematch Bisping who'd battered him previously. He might not have been a good fighter but you have to respect that this man was a pure fighter with the heart of a lion.

Someone who lacked that heart was clearly Noah Inhofer. As I gave key focus to the likes of Gabe and Wang in the last review I couldn't not ignore Noah in this season. The truth is he showed some potential as he did beat Ken's top pick at 205 Jesse Forbes. Not that this mattered because Noah threw everything away because his girlfriend of 3 months thought he'd cheated on her. One of the best moments of this season was everyone's reaction to the fact that this wasn't what he built it up to be. At first by his reaction to the news you'd think oh shit did someone die or get hurt. But no instead he was throwing his dreams away for a girl he didn't really know. Brilliantly though as we'd find out from the where are they now he ended up marrying her and staying with her Clearly knew something we all didn't haha. As for the Middleweights this season I think it'd be safe to say that the top 4 guys all made it to the semi finals and that was Ed Herman, Kendall Grove, Kalib Starnes and Rory Singer. You could just see by the way they won their opening fights these 4 were the better field. It was also in the semi finals that I really found myself questioning how bad a move Tito made not picking Ed Herman. It was actually a small arc throughout about why he didn't pick him and how he should have done. Potentially with Tito behind him, Ed could have been the winner. I'll also add here that Kendall stood out quite a lot as well with his size and I think Dana said it that Kalib Starnes with his name at the time and record. Wasn't used to being called out and having someone go for him like Kendall did. This is why he definitely quit that fight as honestly mentally it seemed Kendall had beat him.

Winding this review down a little extra mention has to go to the Rory is gay saga. This was a fun escalating prank which went from Rory who was easy to dislike thanks to his preachy, complaining ways would find Rory is gay written everywhere. He wrongly assumed it was the other time and wrote insults on Jesse and Ed's stuff while also wiping his ass with Ed's glove In return Ed wound up pissing on Rory's headguard which made it all the more brilliant when we learned it was in fact Kendall haha Overall it wasn't a stand out quality season. But it was no means horrible and honestly the Tito/Ken banter is definitely worth a watch.

Who I'd have picked to win

Michael Bisping: OK I know it's cliche to say I'd have picked the winner. But honestly if you look at the cast on the Light Heavyweight portion. Especially as the fights went on you knew it was a two horse race between Matt Hammill and Michael Bisping. The difference of course being that when Matt finally fought he had to pull out. A shame that fight wasn't the rightful final but regardless the right guy won here.

Ed Herman: honestly for most of the season until the Kalib/Kendall fight. Ed Herman comes off as the top dog of 185. Good all around and comes from a great gym under randy couture. Herman very much was saddled with a bad team I'm afraid and I do question what improvements he could have made on Team Ortiz. All respect to him though for still going to this day. He might not be a standout fighter by any means but he's done well for himself longevity wise.

Best Fight

Kendall Grove vs Kalib Starnes: It was hard for me really to pick a best fight overall but the reason I went with Kalib Starnes and Kendall Grove was partly the surprise factor. You had the unbeaten top dog of Ken Shamrock's team taking on the scrappy Hawaiian and Kendall took it to him. It was a back and forth bout and really cemented Kendall's place as a finalist by making an on paper favorite quit.

Who I saw potential in

Matt Hammill: I mean it was hard not to see something in Matt on the show. What he lacked in experience for MMA he made up for in brute strength and wrestling ability. I don't know if it was injuries or ego which made him stand and trade with Mike Nickels for 2 rounds. But even with the most unrefined sloppy stand up he tooled up Nickels. Shame he didn't get another fight in the tournament.

Honorary Mention

Ross Pointon: So not so much a case of who I saw potential in but someone who honestly deserves respect. What he lacked in skills he more than made up for in heart. Pointon was a tough slugger who gave up size to everyone but he wouldn't back down from a fight even going up a weight to fight Bisping when no one else would. To that I tip my hat to him. He lived up to his nickname the Gladiator.

Best Team

Team Ortiz - By a country mile if you was competing on this season you wanted to be on Tito's team. The training was intense and hard but at least you was actually training. As opposed to Shamrock taking his boys golfing or making them just watch old fights.

Who I despised or was meh on

Ken Shamrock: This is hard to say as honestly I really like Ken and respect him for all he has done. Same time this season really painted him in a bad light. His coaching seemed out dated and honestly he was past his best at this point. Not a good look for him at all.

Rory Singer: I wouldn't really say despised but more steadily went off as the show went on was Rory. Like he just constantly seemed to be complaining or bitchingand going on about things. Plus to say you weren't a trash talker only to start wiping people's stuff in your ass.. That's a pretty big leap.

Status

Will try to keep up.

---

I liked TUF 5 alot myself - alot of characters in there and guys who went on to become early staples in the Lightweight division as it grew into the exciting division we know it as today. These are my thoughts based on my initial watch - I haven't rewatched.

I fucking loved the drama in this season - especially Nate going batshit at almost any perceived slight. Dude was ready to throw hands and knock blocks off because of some graffiti lmao. I personally think Emerson's a massive douche but certainly an entertaining fighter at times.

BJ Penn has never particularly struck me as someone who has the attitude or attributes of a good coach. A fantastic fighter when motivated but he's shown that he lacks discipline.

Gabe was comical. An absolute disasterpiece. Coming into the house 20lbs over is unbelievable when you're going to be fighting a lot in such short notice. Andy Wang too. They're funny in a laugh at THEM way imo.

I always found it extremely weird that Lauzon had beaten Pulver prior to this.

A decent season to go back and watch and definitely up there. Not my favourite but one I enjoyed alot. Season 3 was another so I'm glad you did that next. Thoughts on that in a bit.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Heel Champion

Status

Will try to keep up.

---

I liked TUF 5 alot myself - alot of characters in there and guys who went on to become early staples in the Lightweight division as it grew into the exciting division we know it as today. These are my thoughts based on my initial watch - I haven't rewatched.

I fucking loved the drama in this season - especially Nate going batshit at almost any perceived slight. Dude was ready to throw hands and knock blocks off because of some graffiti lmao. I personally think Emerson's a massive douche but certainly an entertaining fighter at times.

BJ Penn has never particularly struck me as someone who has the attitude or attributes of a good coach. A fantastic fighter when motivated but he's shown that he lacks discipline.

Gabe was comical. An absolute disasterpiece. Coming into the house 20lbs over is unbelievable when you're going to be fighting a lot in such short notice. Andy Wang too. They're funny in a laugh at THEM way imo.

I always found it extremely weird that Lauzon had beaten Pulver prior to this.

A decent season to go back and watch and definitely up there. Not my favourite but one I enjoyed alot. Season 3 was another so I'm glad you did that next. Thoughts on that in a bit.
    Totally agreed with what you had to say there about TUF 5. This season had a great bunch of personalities especially when compared to others and I mean it gave us Nate Diaz, Joe Lauzon, Gray Maynard, Manny Gamburyan, Cole Miller and Matt Wiman. All of whom at one time or another were credible UFC fighters. I think the great thing about Nate Diaz and what I've liked to this day is that he's never changed. He might have grown a little more wise to the game but he is still the same kid from Stockton. His prank war with Cole was something I didn't mention but that was also hilarious viewing. See I agree with you there about Emerson. At times he did come off as a cocky party boy. But I mean in hindsight the guy is now competing at Bantamweight I believe and he fought his heart out in that house. So I guess we have to take the good with the bad.

BJ yeah he's just not a good coach. In hindsight I wish he took the approach of others and brought in a bunch of coaches and acted as a training partner. Because I do feel like as a dedicated training partner he could have been quite good. Unfortunately he was more concerned about surfing and things like that as opposed to Jens who genuinely wanted his boys to do well. Gabe stole the show man haha. Like honestly I can't say enough about how entertaining it was haha. Truthfully for a dare I say below average fighter, that got his name out there a lot more than anything else he's done in his career. He even started training Paris Hilton after haha. Oh dude Lauzon/Pulver was a weird deal. Like they did reference it more in the DVD extras than on the show which surprised me. What's crazy is no one mentioned how Pulver had also fought and beat Emerson by decision. In hindsight I think they should have gone in on that a little more. You'll defo have to give me your thoughts on 3 man. Because while it's not the best of seasons. It is definitely a lot of fun viewing

Heel Champion

Status

Shade's Ultimate Fighter Reviews

Team Franklin vs Team Hughes

The season which made me hate Matt Hughes. Just had to get that comment out the way before I begin with my recap of season 2. Now season 2 was quite interesting because you had Heavyweights and Welterweights being featured and unlike my past two reviews you clearly had 2 very good and capable coaches. On one side you had the very classy and well spoken Rich Franklin who I think apart from a little blip on season 4 (I'll address this when the time comes haha) I've personally never seen anything bad with or said about. While on the other side you had Matt Hughes. Right from the off you can see a difference between both men and their coaching styles. Because Rich for his part was quite chill and laid back with his guys. While he worked them hard he wasn't afraid to joke with his guys and genuinely support them. Matt on the other hand was a fucking tyrant. Like don't get me wrong it's good when you train hard but all we ever saw really was him working his guys to the brink and then in confessionals he'd blast some of his own fighters for being hurt. The more I watched of this season honestly the more I disliked the man. In fact I'd say my dislike of him led to me disliking his top heavyweight Mike Whitehead because he was basically teachers pet. But Mike Whitehead is a sex offender in real life so fuck that guy anyway.

I found this season had quite an interesting cast but honestly again Matt Hughes threw a huge spanner in the works early on. The first couple of episodes were a shambles as the show lost 3 cast members from the off with Eli and Kenny quitting out. Eli for his part come off like a massive pussy chatting it big on day one than quitting on day 2. Whereas Kenny absolutely broke during his weight cut and honestly was acting an idiot. This lead to a great Dana speech were he called all the guys out and told them to sort their shit out. Of course you did have to feel bad for Kerry the 3rd to leave as he basically blew his knee out in practice which makes it all the more sadder when at the finale Keith Jardine wisely leg kicked the shit out of him until he could fight no more. What's crazy is looking back is how Rashad Evans fared in this season. The smallest guy at Heavyweight by a fair amount Rashad's style here and very much for most of his early UFC run was at times uninspired. Same time it was effective and the results were there with him knocking off Tom Murphy, Keith Jardine and Mike Whitehead throughout the tournament with Dana even admitting Rashad impressed him and that he'd beat the two favorites to win. Of course this further adds to Matt's hipocracy as while he blasted Rashad for showboating during his fight. He was totally fine with his own fighter Joe Stevenson showboating during competitions.

Although I will give Matt some credit here for Rashad's final fight he had to corner him and perhaps someone had said something. But Matt did all he could to help Rashad and honestly the pair worked quite well together in putting together a way to beat Keith Jardine. It does make you wonder how the pair would have done on the same team especially with the way Rashad absolutely broke and humbled Mike Whitehead during their fight. While for most part the Heavyweights didn't really stand out apart from this. The welterweights were a different story. Hands down the top guy was Joe Stevenson. He was one of those guys who probably should never have been on the show and just brought in straight away. He was clearly a level above everyone as shown by the way he destroyed Marcus Davis early on. I have to say that fight is up there as one of the worst Tuf Match Makings I have ever seen. Why Marcus wanted that fight I do not know. Jorge Gurgel also stood out as the top guy on team Franklin but as we all know with Jorge he is basically the original Andy Wang. A ground guy who instead elects to stand and bang. I will say though his fight with Jason Von Flue was amazing but also marred again by the horrific treatment by Matt Hughes on one of his fighters. Another questionable decision by Matt was Josh Burkman/Melvin Guillard as an opening round fight. Now on paper alone at one time that was a UFC fight night co-main event. You knew it was going to be a battle and true to it's billing both guys suffered bad injuries which would have effectively removed them both from the tournament regardless who won.

So I've waited until here to talk about perhaps my favorite personality on this season Luke Cummo. Luke made an immediate impression by pulling his bed on the ground to have it face north and with the epic unibrow. As time went on however you'd see that this wasn't an act Luke was truly dedicated to his craft with a very weird diet. Yet in the cage the quiet kid became a ruthless striker as he picked up a nasty KO to make it to the finals which was all the more impressive as he was the last pick. Special credit also has to go to how the overly focused and health concious fighter immediately goes on a massive junk food binge the second he wins haha. That's a guy who knows how to celebrate. So yeah this was a good if unspectacular season and in closing I'd like to say I really don't like Matt Hughes.

Joe Stevenson - The most talented guy at Welterweight by far. Honestly it was tough to pick anyone who'd even come close to having a chance and while some may have given him more than expected. Joe was the standout.

Mike Whitehead - I didn't like him but Mike was one of the true actual Heavyweights on that season with a good wrestling background and some good power. He too me was the favorite to win until Rashad broke him spectacularly

Fight of the season

Jorge Gurgel vs Jason Von Flue - This was a fucking battle. Like a true war of attrition. While Gurgel has rightly earned criticism from not taking his fights to the ground. I have no complaints here as he fought his heart out against a game Jason. What makes this sad is despite his impressive showing Jason was still treated like shit by Matt Hughes.

Who I saw potential in

Seth Petruzelli - The man who killed Elite XC. Now I know that Seth has always been a journeyman I guess when it comes to MMA. But I've always been a fan of his and even though clearly he's not a heavyweight. He brought a very unorthodox style to the show here which got him to the semi finals.

Jason Von Flue - Was Jason a little cocky at points or quirky. Yeah of course he was. But honestly I couldn't help but root for him. Matt treated him horrifically even after he knocked off one of Franklin's best fighters and then when he got matched with Joe. He gave him a scrap until it went to the ground. Similar to Emmerson, he was consistently entertaining.

Best Team

Team Franklin - Both teams had positives and detriments but honestly it come down to. If I was in one of those fighters shoes where would I be comfortable and the answer honestly is Team Franklin. At least Rich seemed to want the best for everyone on his team.

Who I despised

Matt Hughes - I can't honestly say enough about how bad he come off. He just seemed like a dick and a bully with the way he treated some of the guys. It's frustrating because for an arguable legend of the sport. I'm just like I want to respect his accomplishments but I always end up citing how big of a dick he is

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

All I'm picturing here is GSP telling Matt Hughes that he was not impressed with his performance...

Heel Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Stojy View Post
    All I'm picturing here is GSP telling Matt Hughes that he was not impressed with his performance...
    You hit the nail on the head there my friend. I really wasn't impressed and I know I've got more to come of him which I'm dreading haha.

Heel Champion

Status

Shade Reviews the ultimate fighter

Team Serra vs Team Hughes

Will Matt Hughes redeem himself to me? Not really. I've always found season 6 to low key be an under rated season TBH. While perhaps it didn't produce talent that really lasted or made a dent in the UFC. When compared to the previous five seasons. However I've always found this season to be quite entertaining with some fun fights throughout and some compelling personalities. The coaches had quite a fun rivalry and while I think in the run up a lot of people expected to hate Matt Serra. It was hard not argue that he not only come off as a brilliant coach but also an entertaining personality. One thing I'm going to get out the way as well. Is barring a few noted exceptions, fighters who seem to have gone through this show and come back as coaches do very well it appears. As Serra's team very much dominated Team Hughes in the early going. Something which definitely brought that dickish side out of Matt Hughes again as he tortured his boys when in cased they'd either just got caught or made rookie mistakes.

The cast for this season was quite an interesting mix and one of the standouts albeit not in the best way was eventual winner Mac Danzig. When I first watched this I just thought Mac was a grumpy bastard but in my rewatch for this and thanks to the DVD extras I come to understand him better. While yes his treatment of Blake at times was not great. Mac was a serious competitor who just wanted to get on with things. He didn't like his stuff or food being fucked with and those were his triggers which I think we can all understand. Another person who seemed to come off bad but in actually was there and recognized it was a competition was George Sotiropoulos. While a lot of his team seemed to be heavy partiers and drinkers. George very much was all business and you could very much argue because of that attitude and mentality he might have been a better fit for Team Hughes who for most part apart from Mac were shown to be good boys who attended Matt's bible study.

There was quite a bit of turmoil this season in the early going as first Roman Mitichian broke his arm and had to be withdrawn. Now I feel for Roman here and honestly he has my respect because he wanted to just crack on. He was fully prepared and ready to fuck people up with one arm and that while not the smartest move is admirable in my book. I would have been curious to see how he performed in the tournament as by the looks of his bout on the finale he had some good skills about him. Along with this came the Joey Scarola drama and honestly with this show, you know what you sign up for. It's tough to have sympathy for guys who want to quit. I mean fuck Paul Georgieff rather than quit the show accepted to fight Troy Mandoloniz before leaving briefly to attend his cousin's funeral. That situation there was way worse than Scarola just bitching out that he lost and wanted off the show. So I don't blame Serra at all for washing his hands of him entirely.

The season very much went as expected because realistically Mac Danzig with his record and experience was always the favorite to win. He'd had the big fight experience from Pride and King of the Cage. So it wasn't a surprise to see him make it all the way. The pleasant surprise was powerhouse farm boy Tommy Speer who while being quiet and not knowing what a vegetable was. Was actually quite an impressive fighter in the cage and he made for a surprising finalist. Before I wrap this review up I have to express my sadness as the best moment in this season being on the DVD extras. That was when Matt Serra's coach Drago got absolutely hammered in the swimming pool and began sinking all the while threatening to piss on Matt Hughes' championship... Only to be reminded that Serra was still champion That whole scene should have been on an episode because it was an absolute gem and had me rolling. So yeah this wasn't a bad season but definitely not a stand out. I don't think I'm ever going to be a fan of Matt Hughes.

Mac Danzig: Another case of a guy too good for the show. Mac was just too experienced and skilled for a lot of the guys in the house and it showed. Wouldn't be the first time this happened and won't be the last time you hear me say this.

George Sotiropoulos: In my opinion the only real threat Mac had was George. If it wasn't for a nasty eye poke he took against Tommy. I feel he would have took that fight and it'd have been interesting to see how him and Mac fared.

Fight of the season

Dan Barrera vs Ben Saunders - This was a great fight in the house. They definitely should have had a third round. Ben was the better fighter but all credit to Dan for sticking in there in this.

Jared Rollins vs War Machine - This was an absolute war on the finale itself. While I can't stand War Machine this was an amazing fight. Shame it seemed to be the last time we'd ever see J Roc.

Who I saw potential in

Tommy Speer - It was hard not to be kinda impressed with Tommy. He wasn't the most skilled guy but he was just a strong farm boy with no quit in him. Beat some good names in the house before getting out classed by Mac.

Matt Arroyo - Little controversial as it did come off that he quit the tournament in the semis rather than fight Danzig. Yet until then Matt looked very good. Hughes definitely under rated Arroyo and I'm actually curious how he'd have performed with Mac.

John Kolosci - This wasn't so much potential but more respect. John was over matched by Mac Danzig and it showed. Yet when he had a second chance to step in and fight again against Mac. He didn't hesitate what so ever unlike the rest of his team.

Best Team

Team Serra - Bless him Matt Serra really went out of his way to make his team a family and I love that. His main mistake was having too much faith in some of his boys as had he put Mac against Tommy in the second round, he'd have only had to deal with one of them in the semi finals.

Who I despised

Joey Scarola - This frustrated me. I don't think Joey was as good as Matt made him out to be but there's no denying that he quit in that fight with Danzig and then he quit the show. Poor form on his part in comparison to Roman who would have fought with a broken arm.

Matt Hughes - While he wasn't as bad as he was on season 2. Matt Hughes still did himself no favors just by the way he treated some of his boys when they were losing. Punishing the whole team for rookie mistakes and things like that just didn't sit well with me.

Richie Hightower - At first I didn't really care about Richie. But he did get quite annoying as it went on and his bitching about Serra playing favorites while refusing to train under Hughes at the same time when he had the chance. He was just irritating. Respect though for going for it against George.

War Machine - Honestly I'll say apart from the upper decker which was quite funny. War Machine come off just as a meat head on the show. The reason he is on this list is for his incidents in later life and yeah fuck him.

Heel Champion

Status

Shade reviews the Ultimate Fighter

Team Griffin vs Team Rampage

A season with some big changes ahead for the future of the show. Season 7 had the fantastic idea to make people fight their way into the house. Which I personally am a fan of to this day. It was through these fights that we was quick to see some standouts for the tournament namely Tim Credeur, Amir Sadollah, CB Dalloway and Matt Riddle. Special mention has to go here for one of the nastiest knockouts I've ever seen on the Ultimate Fighter as Matt Riddle destroyed the jaw of his opponent and we heard the haunting cries of his opponent after he suffered that knockout. So it has to be said going through these opening bouts you could tell that they had managed to cultivate some good talent for this season. Although it was quite humorous to hear Dana White blast Paul Bradley for his lay and pray style during the opening round fight and calling it turtles fucking haha. This wouldn't be the only humour in the season as our coaches frequently bought the laughs with Forrest Griffin and Rampage being constant sources of entertainment.

Rampage bless his heart just isn't a coach. You can see it here and you definitely see it on a later season. But you could also see he genuinely cared for his boys and he won when they won and lost when they lost. Sadly he did an awful lot of losing when compared to Griffin who was not only a surprisingly excellent coach. But also again proof of the fact that when guys come back from the show to coach. They do tend to do rather well. He and Rampage also didn't really bring much drama apart from one heated argument but they made up for it with their antics which included an amazing moment when Forrest shot at Rampage with a net gun. I will say to Rampage's defense this season had some questionable decisions in the early round. The biggest of which was Patrick Schultz not receiving a third round in his bout against Cale Yarborough despite absolutely battering him on the feet in the opening round. This of course was the fight which brought tension between the coaches and saw Forrest destroy a door.

As for the fighters themselves this season had very much a range of personalities with quite a few standouts. Tim Credeur for his part was the experienced veteran who for most part was respectful but had quite the sharp wit when it came to stare downs with his opponents. Amir Sadollah meanwhile was constantly unsure of himself and lacking in confidence until he stepped in the cage and become a fighter with absolutely no quit in him what so ever. You also had the steadily growing more cocky over the course of the season CB Dollaway which in fairness wasn't helped by his coaches telling him he was a future champion etc. While I personally wasn't as big on hating him as others were the villain I guess of this season was Jeremy May. Although I will admit I actually have some respect for Jeremy for how he fought against Matt Brown in what was a grudge match over Tobacco. Brown is a savage but May took the fight to him while being injured and if it wasn't for his lack of cardio. He could have got his hand raised.

Now this brings me to for me the real idiot of the season Jesse Taylor. God this story absolutely drove me mental back in the day as honestly. What the fuck was he thinking? Jesse had surprised me by making it to the finals but honestly I didn't really see much in his skills. I saw him as basically a more active version of Paul Bradley with his lay and pray. Same time he probably had a chance at beating Amir because we'd see with his fight against Gerald he could be grounded and taken down. Yet we'd never get that answer because he went on a stupid drunken rampage and deserved to lose his place in the tournament. Plus this also gave us a tremendous bout between CB and Tim which then made Amir Sadollah's run all the more impressive. Because not only did he upset CB to make the finals but he proved it wasn't a fluke by submitting him a second time. I like this season a lot tbh. It has a ton of fun personalities and you have to respect Amir for what he did. It's crazy to see this 0-0 fighter prove himself to be as tough and game as he is.

CB Dollaway - Controversial opinion. I have always liked and rooted for CB Dollaway. Is he cocky? yeah and could he be arrogant? hell yes. But He impressed me on this show and was definitely the golden boy on Team Rampage. Plus the banter after he subbed Rampage on national TV was amazing haha.

Tim Credeur - One of the more experienced guys on the show who had fought some big names. Tim very much knew what he was doing and brought to the table some dangerous submissions. I do question his decision to coach Jesse on what submissions he'd go for against him the week of their fight. As that was piss poor decision making which cost him.

Fight of the Season

Amir Sadollah vs Matt Brown - This was brutal and it again showed the heart Amir Sadollah brought to the show. Brown is and always will be a monster but Amir took his best shots and kept firing back before taking the wind out of him with a body shot and finishing him. Very good fight.

CB Dollaway vs Tim Credeur - This in my mind on first watch was the finals and the fight I really wanted to see. It definitely lived up to that billing as both guys had a war to get to the finals and I honestly was a fan of both of them. So it was brilliant to see them each fight their hearts out.

Who I saw Potential in

Gerald Harris - I honestly think if they'd have given him anyone other than Amir in that opening round, the way he fought he'd have won the fight. A powerful stud wrestler who was unlucky enough to just have got caught.

Dan Cramer - It's weird because Dan didn't really do much in the house or anything but what he did show in his fights was despite being looked at as a pretty boy. He had a lot of heart and was very scrappy. I enjoyed his fights because of that.

Matthew Riddle - It was definitely weird on the rewatch seeing the original bro with short hair and no flip flops. But you couldn't deny he had some raw talent. His loss to Credeur really was down to experience but he picked up one of the nastiest knockouts in TUF history to enter the house.

Best Team

Team Griffin - He may have at times over trained them, but there was no denying that Forrest Griffin just was a better coach than Rampage. Rampage himself will admit he isn't a good coach. It doesn't make him a bad guy it just means he's wrong for that aspect of the show.

Who I despised

Jesse Taylor - He was just a meat head on this season. Like he'd get drunk and proudly piss himself plus honestly he had a good shot at winning the show and threw it away. I know by right Jeremy May should have been included here as he very much wore the black hat at times this season. But from my rewatch Jesse did antagonise Jeremy and Jeremy in return took things too far to get a rebuttal.

American Ninja

Status
      Country                    United States

Wow what a great blast from the past. Some great memories getting all hyped up to watch season 3 and 4 back in the day, it was like a weekly ritual very similar to what it was like in our house on Monday nights in the 90's. I tried rewatching through the older seasons on Fight Pass several years ago and didn't make it very far. The show has not aged well. It was remarkable the shameless product placement, like I'm not sure the specifics but I think the network made the UFC finance the show themselves and possibly even paid for the time slot? So UFC in order to pay for it they would just shamelessly plug away at their sponsers, like their would be segments where all the guys where putting on Right Guard deodorant talking about how great it smelled or there would be a segment devoted to them putting over Xyience weight lifting supplements with the fighters talking about how great they worked. I can't lie, I did go out and buy some N.O.X. CG3.

Mikey Burnett was a favorite of mine and my little brothers back in the day, he just vanished and then popped back up out of nowhere on Season 4 so we were rooting for him so hard to win.

I actually fought a guy who fought in the prelims of the Rampage vs Forrest season, Jeremiah Riggs, I fought him in my 7th fight in a smoky bar in Ft. Smith Arkansas called the Electric Cowboy in the Summer of 2008, he outweighed me by close to 30 pounds. The guy I was supposed to fight didn't show up so this guy shows up with some other guys who were fighting that night so they put him against me literally like an hour before the show started.

Nobody knew who he was at the time, they made sure to stay away from everybody so nobody would recognize him. I was so deep into the training at the time that I never did see that season so I wouldn't have known who he was anyways. He came right at me trying to knock me out at the opening but I backed up and nailed him with a kick to the body. He came in trying to take me down but I used his momentum against him and flung him into the cage and hit him so hard with an uppercut, the hardest I've ever hit anything in my life. It shocked me because he just fucking ate it like it was nothing. He picked me up on his shoulder but I grabbed the fence to keep him from slamming me. The ref knocked my hand loose and he slammed the fuck out of me and knocked the air out of me and shook me up quite a bit. I locked him up in a tight guard and held onto his wrists with a death grip, not allowing him to do anything. There was like a 40 second struggle where I had his wrists in a vice grip and he was just trying unsuccessfully to do anything. He finally stood up in my closed guard so I gave up wrist control and grabbed him by the back of his heels and swept him backwards and rolled on top of him in the full mount and just completely dominated him for the rest of the fight.

I took his fucking ass to the school house, I would wrestle circles around him and man handle him on the ground and was landing 3-4 strike combos on the feet. He tried to check one of my low kicks late in the fight and I just kicked right through it and knocked both of his legs out from under him and put him on his ass. He would try to slam me down but I would explode in mid-slam and come down into a sprawl position and just manhandle him. The crowd was popping for everything I was landing on him it was great, I was kicking him so hard to the body it was lifting his feet off the ground and the crowd would just go nuts for every kick I would land. I won the decision and made $800 it got a lot of hype going for me that was a great night(I remember guys where asking for my autograph after the fight, one girl wanted me to sign her tits), I was training very hard going into that fight and I believe I could have given anybody a run for their money at that time. I didn't find out who he was until like a week later. I wish I could have had a video of that fight it was my best one.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 04-25-2020 at 06:34 PM.

Heel Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Wow what a great blast from the past. Some great memories getting all hyped up to watch season 3 and 4 back in the day, it was like a weekly ritual very similar to what it was like in our house on Monday nights in the 90's. I tried rewatching through the older seasons on Fight Pass several years ago and didn't make it very far. The show has not aged well. It was remarkable the shameless product placement, like I'm not sure the specifics but I think the network made the UFC finance the show themselves and possibly even paid for the time slot? So UFC in order to pay for it they would just shamelessly plug away at their sponsers, like their would be segments where all the guys where putting on Right Guard deodorant talking about how great it smelled or there would be a segment devoted to them putting over Xyience weight lifting supplements with the fighters talking about how great they worked. I can't lie, I did go out and buy some N.O.X. CG3.

Mikey Burnett was a favorite of mine and my little brothers back in the day, he just vanished and then popped back up out of nowhere on Season 4 so we were rooting for him so hard to win.

I actually fought a guy who fought in the prelims of the Rampage vs Forrest season, Jeremiah Riggs, I fought him in my 7th fight in a smoky bar in Ft. Smith Arkansas called the Electric Cowboy in the Summer of 2008, he outweighed me by close to 30 pounds. The guy I was supposed to fight didn't show up so this guy shows up with some other guys who were fighting that night so they put him against me literally like an hour before the show started.

Nobody knew who he was at the time, they made sure to stay away from everybody so nobody would recognize him. I was so deep into the training at the time that I never did see that season so I wouldn't have known who he was anyways. He came right at me trying to knock me out at the opening but I backed up and nailed him with a kick to the body. He came in trying to take me down but I used his momentum against him and flung him into the cage and hit him so hard with an uppercut, the hardest I've ever hit anything in my life. It shocked me because he just fucking ate it like it was nothing. He picked me up on his shoulder but I grabbed the fence to keep him from slamming me. The ref knocked my hand loose and he slammed the fuck out of me and knocked the air out of me and shook me up quite a bit. I locked him up in a tight guard and held onto his wrists with a death grip, not allowing him to do anything. There was like a 40 second struggle where I had his wrists in a vice grip and he was just trying unsuccessfully to do anything. He finally stood up in my closed guard so I gave up wrist control and grabbed him by the back of his heels and swept him backwards and rolled on top of him in the full mount and just completely dominated him for the rest of the fight.

I took his fucking ass to the school house, I would wrestle circles around him and man handle him on the ground and was landing 3-4 strike combos on the feet. He tried to check one of my low kicks late in the fight and I just kicked right through it and knocked both of his legs out from under him and put him on his ass. He would try to slam me down but I would explode in mid-slam and come down into a sprawl position and just manhandle him. The crowd was popping for everything I was landing on him it was great, I was kicking him so hard to the body it was lifting his feet off the ground and the crowd would just go nuts for every kick I would land. I won the decision and made $800 it got a lot of hype going for me that was a great night(I remember guys where asking for my autograph after the fight, one girl wanted me to sign her tits), I was training very hard going into that fight and I believe I could have given anybody a run for their money at that time. I didn't find out who he was until like a week later. I wish I could have had a video of that fight it was my best one.
    Glad you are enjoying it man. Honestly for me rewatching these seasons it has been a great dose of nostalgia as well. Totally with you on the product placement. TUF 2 had it really bad because all you heard them saying was right guard and xyience haha. I got to admit I'm curious to know what that stuff tasted like.

Honestly dude I can't wait for TUF 4 because of Mikey. He was such a character and for me him and Shonie Carter very much made that season personality wise. Shame how bad Mikey got injured that show and it surprisingly wasn't from the wall!

Dude that's awesome! Shame you don't have a video of that. How many fights did you have? Got to admit Jeremiah Riggs definitely come off like a tough, scrappy guy in this. I was actually quite impressed with him especially with how coachable he was in that fight. Always felt he'd have been a better choice to be brought back than Schultz but that's just my hot take.

Status

TUF 3 I remember watching alot on Bravo, I think?

I was really into Kendall Grove and Michael Bisping. I agree completely with what you said about Pointon as well. Again, this season has some decent talent that went on to become UFC staples. Bisping obviously the most successful. I really thought both of them could be big and Bisping definitely was. Kendall fizzled out unfortunately but man his career could have been different if he beat Cote and Rivera.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

American Ninja

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Glad you are enjoying it man. Honestly for me rewatching these seasons it has been a great dose of nostalgia as well. Totally with you on the product placement. TUF 2 had it really bad because all you heard them saying was right guard and xyience haha. I got to admit I'm curious to know what that stuff tasted like.

Honestly dude I can't wait for TUF 4 because of Mikey. He was such a character and for me him and Shonie Carter very much made that season personality wise. Shame how bad Mikey got injured that show and it surprisingly wasn't from the wall!

Dude that's awesome! Shame you don't have a video of that. How many fights did you have? Got to admit Jeremiah Riggs definitely come off like a tough, scrappy guy in this. I was actually quite impressed with him especially with how coachable he was in that fight. Always felt he'd have been a better choice to be brought back than Schultz but that's just my hot take.
    Its funny because I was just talking about the NOX CG3 with my little brother the other day, it was actually pretty good stuff for a pre-workout creatine, maybe better than a lot of stuff on the market today. I remember drinking that stuff before working out and getting massive pumps jamming some mid-2000's Nu Metal.

I had 9 fights, I lost my first 3 but got recruited by the coach of the guy that beat me in my first fight, I went up to Arkansas and trained with some great fighters there at that gym. The guy I learned from was close with Rolli Delgado from season 8 of TUF, that was where I met wrestling legend Billy Robinson I went to a couple of his seminars at Rolli's gym in Little Rock. Mike Wessell was also from that same gym I knew him also I think he was on season 10 the Kimbo season but he was about done with MMA at that point(his wife had cancer at that time), he was a beast a few years earlier he just kinda peaked before he finally got any big opportunities.

Riggs was extremely tough in that fight, I hit him with everything I had as hard as I could and he never even hinted at going down or quitting. Some of the shots he walked through it would just stun me I couldn't believe it. The uppercut I hit him with in the first round would have knocked anybody else out and almost broke my hand and it just didn't even phase him.

The thing I heard about that fight was that he had a bigger money fight coming up that he was unable to train for, he took the fight with me as like an easy tune up fight to get ready for the other fight. The guys he showed up with were notorious about going to smaller shows and lying about their names/records to get easy fights. There was no athletic commission regulating MMA in Arkansas back then so this shit happened all the time, it was still kinda like the wild wild west days of MMA back then as far as weight classes and such. Like for my fight with Riggs I noticed before that he didn't even have real MMA gloves on, he was wearing like a Century brand foam pad sparring glove that was like not wearing a glove at all. Nobody noticed it but I didn't want to look like a bitch complaining about it so I let it go. I drew upon the Miyamoto Musashi books I had read and just prepared mentally to be cut open and bleed and harnessed the fear I had to use it to my advantage, like when he was in my guard and I had wrist control I had a grip on his wrists as if his hands were razor blades. It was life and death. I never let him land a single clean punch in the entire 3 rounds. It was probably the most focused I've ever felt, it's a crazy feeling to be that dialed into a moment.

He was super nice guy after the fight he gave me a lot of props and respect and said that he totally underestimated me.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 04-26-2020 at 07:31 AM.

Heel Champion

Status

TUF 3 I remember watching alot on Bravo, I think?

I was really into Kendall Grove and Michael Bisping. I agree completely with what you said about Pointon as well. Again, this season has some decent talent that went on to become UFC staples. Bisping obviously the most successful. I really thought both of them could be big and Bisping definitely was. Kendall fizzled out unfortunately but man his career could have been different if he beat Cote and Rivera.
    Yeah it was on Bravo. I also remembered it playing on was it Sentana sports.

I was like you with Kendall and Michael. Bisping has always been one of my favorites and honestly I really felt bad for Kendall towards the end of his ufc run. As I found his cut to be unjust with his two losses to Maia and Boetsch. Regardless he reminded me of struve in that he had size. He just didn't know how to use it effectively. Which definitely was a shame.

Heel Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Its funny because I was just talking about the NOX CG3 with my little brother the other day, it was actually pretty good stuff for a pre-workout creatine, maybe better than a lot of stuff on the market today. I remember drinking that stuff before working out and getting massive pumps jamming some mid-2000's Nu Metal.

I had 9 fights, I lost my first 3 but got recruited by the coach of the guy that beat me in my first fight, I went up to Arkansas and trained with some great fighters there at that gym. The guy I learned from was close with Rolli Delgado from season 8 of TUF, that was where I met wrestling legend Billy Robinson I went to a couple of his seminars at Rolli's gym in Little Rock. Mike Wessell was also from that same gym I knew him also I think he was on season 10 the Kimbo season but he was about done with MMA at that point(his wife had cancer at that time), he was a beast a few years earlier he just kinda peaked before he finally got any big opportunities.

Riggs was extremely tough in that fight, I hit him with everything I had as hard as I could and he never even hinted at going down or quitting. Some of the shots he walked through it would just stun me I couldn't believe it. The uppercut I hit him with in the first round would have knocked anybody else out and almost broke my hand and it just didn't even phase him.

The thing I heard about that fight was that he had a bigger money fight coming up that he was unable to train for, he took the fight with me as like an easy tune up fight to get ready for the other fight. The guys he showed up with were notorious about going to smaller shows and lying about their names/records to get easy fights. There was no athletic commission regulating MMA in Arkansas back then so this shit happened all the time, it was still kinda like the wild wild west days of MMA back then as far as weight classes and such. Like for my fight with Riggs I noticed before that he didn't even have real MMA gloves on, he was wearing like a Century brand foam pad sparring glove that was like not wearing a glove at all. Nobody noticed it but I didn't want to look like a bitch complaining about it so I let it go. I drew upon the Miyamoto Musashi books I had read and just prepared mentally to be cut open and bleed and harnessed the fear I had to use it to my advantage, like when he was in my guard and I had wrist control I had a grip on his wrists as if his hands were razor blades. It was life and death. I never let him land a single clean punch in the entire 3 rounds. It was probably the most focused I've ever felt, it's a crazy feeling to be that dialed into a moment.

He was super nice guy after the fight he gave me a lot of props and respect and said that he totally underestimated me.
    Can't go wrong with 2000s music when training. I remember when I was competing our gym doubled as a bar and we'd always have the most random training music playing by way of a bar radio ha. I remember sparring with people to the likes of Since you've been gone by Kelly Clarkson and a ton of James Morrison tunes.

You know what man, All respect for you sticking with it after dropping your first three. In my years of boxing I saw tons of guys quit after losing one. So it says a lot character wise that you kept at it. Rolando was an interesting guy on that season of TUF. I know there was some debate over his black belt but he looked to have a lot of talent on the ground plus you know he slugged it out with Junie which I respect. OK So I don't know if you heard about this. But theres a weird story and event with Wessell and I'm not entirely sure what to think. In which he said that he and his wife had lied about her sickness and also that he got drunk one night in the tuf house and began spouting white power stuff. Brendan Schaub and Matt Mitrione spoke about this as well but didn't say his name.

It's always a good feeling when you have a performance like that. But yeah it's crazy the short cuts people take with gloves and wraps. I remember my dad coached a guy in the 90s and during one boxing match. His guy got really busted up only to find post bout his opponent had smuggled brass knuckles under his gloves and bandages.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information