Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shade reviews The Ultimate Fighter!

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: Shade reviews The Ultimate Fighter!

I remember thinking Parke's style was really good for LW at the time. I thought he would be a decent gatekeeper. But yeah now you say it, I can't really remember any of his damn fights.

Whittaker has really become a favourite of mine and I really didn't expect that considering I wasn't extremely high on him for a long time.

I've really not liked Roy Nelson at all He was a meme but offered nothing of substance as a personality imo. I preferred Mark Hunt as the big dude with punching power.

Also I forgot all about Julian Lane LMAO. What a clown he was.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    I remember thinking Parke's style was really good for LW at the time. I thought he would be a decent gatekeeper. But yeah now you say it, I can't really remember any of his damn fights.

Whittaker has really become a favourite of mine and I really didn't expect that considering I wasn't extremely high on him for a long time.

I've really not liked Roy Nelson at all He was a meme but offered nothing of substance as a personality imo. I preferred Mark Hunt as the big dude with punching power.

Also I forgot all about Julian Lane LMAO. What a clown he was.
    You know who he sorta reminded me of albeit without the Obama hate, Jacob Volkmann. Norman had that similar heavily grappling based style in which he would smother opponents at times. I think what he truly missed out on was the McGregor fight as Norman turned it down while Conor accepted it. Had he have gone through that even in defeat it'd have been memorable.

See I think with me about Roy. I just respected the mans toughness. Like those fights with Werdum, JDS and even Miocic were brutal beatings where he wouldn't go down. But I'm totally with you, Mark Hunt was one of my all time favorite fighters and I honestly remember making some good money on him knocking out Nelson early doors.

Lane was a total joke. Like I think what makes him worse to me than say Junie Browning. Is that Junie can fight if you get me. Like when Junie fought it was interesting and entertaining. Whereas Lane would give it all his let me bang shit and then spend fights pressed up against the cage. It was absurd and overly cringe.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    England

Shade reviews The Ultimate Fighter

Team Jones vs Team Sonnen

Now this was a fucking season! Hands down when I started this venture this season was definitely one of the ones I was excited to go back and watch. This would be for many, many reasons with one key one being Chael Sonnen. For one reason or another I have never been a Jon Jones fan. As a fighter I agree he is super talented and one of the greats. But as a person there is a lot to be desired. On this show however he didn't come off too bad in fairness as you could see he was there for his guys. It was just unfortunately for him he was matched against in my opinion one of the show's all time best coaches Chael Sonnen. While he maybe a controversial figure in some light thanks to his checkered past with suspensions and outspoken behavior. Chael Sonnen was an excellent coach on this season who was fully behind his fighters. This would include his marvellous speech about failure to his team and Uriah Hall in particular which to this day I go back and watch from time to time.

I think what makes this tournament stand out to me is that there was a lot of talent involved and a lot of guys I genuinely thought to be quite impressive. The top of that list without a doubt was the fearsome Uriah Hall. A vicious striker who hospitalised all of his opponents Uriah Hall made a quick impression with that horrific knockout of Adam Cella during the opening round. Soon after he'd follow up with a scary stoppage of Bubba McDaniel in which for a moment you worried he'd ripped the poor guys eye out before finally putting down tough Gritty Aussie Dylan Andrews off his back. Hall came off like a beast on this season and while at times his attitude and the way he could talk to people was off. I did share in Chael Sonnen's belief that Uriah Hall was a future contender. While of course we'd see Uriah later get exposed by Kelvin Gastelum about him perhaps being mentally weak. To this day I have to watch him fight based on the potential for insanity.

Having mentioned the future title contender I have to talk about Kelvin Gastelum here who definitely was a pleasant surprise to watch grow on this season. Having been left right until last much to the surprise of Chael Sonnen. I have to admit myself I didn't think much of Kelvin based on his early fight to get into the house. More in that others stood out to me more and I just thought it was a case that perhaps he'd made it on the show too soon. Yet you could just see his time in the house and the regular fights cause him to constantly improve with him putting away some tough guys like Bubba, Colin Hart and Josh Samman in impressive fashion. It was definitely quite fascinating to look back on how much raw potential he had back then and how far he has come since then. Kelvin of course wasn't the only last pick to prove his worth as Dylan Andrews showed himself to be a straight warrior without an ounce of quit in him. This was shown when he put down Chael's top pick Luke in the second round and by the heart he displayed against Uriah Hall.

Going back to the coaches if there was two decisions that Jon Jones made which I questioned they are as followed. The first of which would be some of the match making that he selected throughout the tournament. Because in my mind the decision to put the smallest man in the tournament Gilbert Smith against the largest member Luke Barnatt was a poor choice. Which was then later followed by putting in possibly the only individual capable of striking with Uriah Hall, Clint Hester against a straight up grappler Jimmy Quinlan. Both these fights were costly decisions for Team Jones in my book as I do feel that Clint would have probably knocked out Luke and while he wasn't an impressive fighter. I'd back Gilbert over Quinlan. I also questioned the decision to pick Bubba over Clint for the wildcard but I understand Jon had to go with his team mater. As honestly you could see Bubba was petrified of Uriah. Whereas again I stand by Clint Hester had such power himself he might have caused Hall some problems.

Before I wrap up this review I want to give special mention to Josh Samman. I remember on my first watch that I wasn't the biggest fan of Samman. Now in hindsight I could see that Josh was someone playing up for the cameras. However during his UFC run I became a Samman fan especially after the tragic tale of the death of his girlfriend and his inspiring comeback against Eddie Gordon. Sadly of course it seems that Samman never quite overcome his demons as he himself would later be found dead following a drug overdose. Just a really sad story for someone who I felt had some potential. So as one might surmise I really enjoyed this season of the Ultimate Fighter and it's definitely one which is must watch in my book.

Who I'd have picked to win

Uriah Hall - Shocker! I know but everyone and anyone was backing Uriah Hall to win this tournament especially with that brutal knockout of Adam Cella. It wasn't meant to be I know but it's still one of the most vicious things I've seen.

Who Impressed me

Josh Samman - RIP. Honestly he was the top guy on Team Jones and while you could see he was perhaps trying to avoid the bout. I'd have definitely been curious to see just what he'd have attempted to do had he been matched up with Uriah.

Clint Hester - I really saw a lot of potential in Clint and honestly part of me wishes he'd have been picked by Chael. Because I feel Chael would have definitely matched him up better than Jon did. A bout with him and Uriah on this show would have been madness.

Tor Troeng - Definitely a case of someone perhaps too technical for their own good. You could see that Tor had a lot of skill and ability. But he simply was gun shy in truly using it. Regardless I definitely saw a lot in him and it was sad to see him sparked by Samman.

Tim Williams - He may have lost his fight to get into the house. But I've always been a fan of the tough and gritty Tim Williams. I'm glad more than anything that he was given another shot later on to fight his way in.

Dylan Andrews - Definitely not deserving of being the last picked by any means. Dylan Andrews was as scrappy as they come and he performed very well on the show even beating a madly under rated Zak Cummings.

Andy Enz - First time I've mentioned two guys who didn't even make it into the house but you can't not have respect for Enz. He was the only guy Hall couldn't KO and he made it to the decision with a broken arm. Just a tough bastard.

Luke Barnatt - I saw a lot of potential in Luke namely due to his size and cardio. I don't think I'd have personally made him my first pick if I was in Chael's shoes but he was definitely someone I had my eye on.

Best Team

Team Sonnen - Again Chael was one of the best coaches this show had ever seen. He had numerous great moments in which he supported and helped build up his fighters. Key point being the way he worked with finalists Uriah Hall and Kelvin Gastelum.

Best Fight

Dylan Andrews vs Luke Barnatt - This was a absolute battle between two tough guys who wouldn't back down. Sadly Luke reminds me in some ways of Stefan Struve who couldn't quite use his reach to full extent and would brawl and be knocked out by people who he shouldn't.

Who I wasn't a fan of

Jon Jones - Personal Bias I know. I'm just never gonna be a fan of Jon as a person. I will say though out of everything he has done. The rewatch of this defo made me dislike him a little less. Until you know he got in trouble again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information