Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shade reviews The Ultimate Fighter!

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: Shade reviews The Ultimate Fighter!

I remember thinking Parke's style was really good for LW at the time. I thought he would be a decent gatekeeper. But yeah now you say it, I can't really remember any of his damn fights.

Whittaker has really become a favourite of mine and I really didn't expect that considering I wasn't extremely high on him for a long time.

I've really not liked Roy Nelson at all He was a meme but offered nothing of substance as a personality imo. I preferred Mark Hunt as the big dude with punching power.

Also I forgot all about Julian Lane LMAO. What a clown he was.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    I remember thinking Parke's style was really good for LW at the time. I thought he would be a decent gatekeeper. But yeah now you say it, I can't really remember any of his damn fights.

Whittaker has really become a favourite of mine and I really didn't expect that considering I wasn't extremely high on him for a long time.

I've really not liked Roy Nelson at all He was a meme but offered nothing of substance as a personality imo. I preferred Mark Hunt as the big dude with punching power.

Also I forgot all about Julian Lane LMAO. What a clown he was.
    You know who he sorta reminded me of albeit without the Obama hate, Jacob Volkmann. Norman had that similar heavily grappling based style in which he would smother opponents at times. I think what he truly missed out on was the McGregor fight as Norman turned it down while Conor accepted it. Had he have gone through that even in defeat it'd have been memorable.

See I think with me about Roy. I just respected the mans toughness. Like those fights with Werdum, JDS and even Miocic were brutal beatings where he wouldn't go down. But I'm totally with you, Mark Hunt was one of my all time favorite fighters and I honestly remember making some good money on him knocking out Nelson early doors.

Lane was a total joke. Like I think what makes him worse to me than say Junie Browning. Is that Junie can fight if you get me. Like when Junie fought it was interesting and entertaining. Whereas Lane would give it all his let me bang shit and then spend fights pressed up against the cage. It was absurd and overly cringe.

Heel Champion

Status

Shade reviews The Ultimate Fighter

Team Jones vs Team Sonnen

Now this was a fucking season! Hands down when I started this venture this season was definitely one of the ones I was excited to go back and watch. This would be for many, many reasons with one key one being Chael Sonnen. For one reason or another I have never been a Jon Jones fan. As a fighter I agree he is super talented and one of the greats. But as a person there is a lot to be desired. On this show however he didn't come off too bad in fairness as you could see he was there for his guys. It was just unfortunately for him he was matched against in my opinion one of the show's all time best coaches Chael Sonnen. While he maybe a controversial figure in some light thanks to his checkered past with suspensions and outspoken behavior. Chael Sonnen was an excellent coach on this season who was fully behind his fighters. This would include his marvellous speech about failure to his team and Uriah Hall in particular which to this day I go back and watch from time to time.

I think what makes this tournament stand out to me is that there was a lot of talent involved and a lot of guys I genuinely thought to be quite impressive. The top of that list without a doubt was the fearsome Uriah Hall. A vicious striker who hospitalised all of his opponents Uriah Hall made a quick impression with that horrific knockout of Adam Cella during the opening round. Soon after he'd follow up with a scary stoppage of Bubba McDaniel in which for a moment you worried he'd ripped the poor guys eye out before finally putting down tough Gritty Aussie Dylan Andrews off his back. Hall came off like a beast on this season and while at times his attitude and the way he could talk to people was off. I did share in Chael Sonnen's belief that Uriah Hall was a future contender. While of course we'd see Uriah later get exposed by Kelvin Gastelum about him perhaps being mentally weak. To this day I have to watch him fight based on the potential for insanity.

Having mentioned the future title contender I have to talk about Kelvin Gastelum here who definitely was a pleasant surprise to watch grow on this season. Having been left right until last much to the surprise of Chael Sonnen. I have to admit myself I didn't think much of Kelvin based on his early fight to get into the house. More in that others stood out to me more and I just thought it was a case that perhaps he'd made it on the show too soon. Yet you could just see his time in the house and the regular fights cause him to constantly improve with him putting away some tough guys like Bubba, Colin Hart and Josh Samman in impressive fashion. It was definitely quite fascinating to look back on how much raw potential he had back then and how far he has come since then. Kelvin of course wasn't the only last pick to prove his worth as Dylan Andrews showed himself to be a straight warrior without an ounce of quit in him. This was shown when he put down Chael's top pick Luke in the second round and by the heart he displayed against Uriah Hall.

Going back to the coaches if there was two decisions that Jon Jones made which I questioned they are as followed. The first of which would be some of the match making that he selected throughout the tournament. Because in my mind the decision to put the smallest man in the tournament Gilbert Smith against the largest member Luke Barnatt was a poor choice. Which was then later followed by putting in possibly the only individual capable of striking with Uriah Hall, Clint Hester against a straight up grappler Jimmy Quinlan. Both these fights were costly decisions for Team Jones in my book as I do feel that Clint would have probably knocked out Luke and while he wasn't an impressive fighter. I'd back Gilbert over Quinlan. I also questioned the decision to pick Bubba over Clint for the wildcard but I understand Jon had to go with his team mater. As honestly you could see Bubba was petrified of Uriah. Whereas again I stand by Clint Hester had such power himself he might have caused Hall some problems.

Before I wrap up this review I want to give special mention to Josh Samman. I remember on my first watch that I wasn't the biggest fan of Samman. Now in hindsight I could see that Josh was someone playing up for the cameras. However during his UFC run I became a Samman fan especially after the tragic tale of the death of his girlfriend and his inspiring comeback against Eddie Gordon. Sadly of course it seems that Samman never quite overcome his demons as he himself would later be found dead following a drug overdose. Just a really sad story for someone who I felt had some potential. So as one might surmise I really enjoyed this season of the Ultimate Fighter and it's definitely one which is must watch in my book.

Who I'd have picked to win

Uriah Hall - Shocker! I know but everyone and anyone was backing Uriah Hall to win this tournament especially with that brutal knockout of Adam Cella. It wasn't meant to be I know but it's still one of the most vicious things I've seen.

Who Impressed me

Josh Samman - RIP. Honestly he was the top guy on Team Jones and while you could see he was perhaps trying to avoid the bout. I'd have definitely been curious to see just what he'd have attempted to do had he been matched up with Uriah.

Clint Hester - I really saw a lot of potential in Clint and honestly part of me wishes he'd have been picked by Chael. Because I feel Chael would have definitely matched him up better than Jon did. A bout with him and Uriah on this show would have been madness.

Tor Troeng - Definitely a case of someone perhaps too technical for their own good. You could see that Tor had a lot of skill and ability. But he simply was gun shy in truly using it. Regardless I definitely saw a lot in him and it was sad to see him sparked by Samman.

Tim Williams - He may have lost his fight to get into the house. But I've always been a fan of the tough and gritty Tim Williams. I'm glad more than anything that he was given another shot later on to fight his way in.

Dylan Andrews - Definitely not deserving of being the last picked by any means. Dylan Andrews was as scrappy as they come and he performed very well on the show even beating a madly under rated Zak Cummings.

Andy Enz - First time I've mentioned two guys who didn't even make it into the house but you can't not have respect for Enz. He was the only guy Hall couldn't KO and he made it to the decision with a broken arm. Just a tough bastard.

Luke Barnatt - I saw a lot of potential in Luke namely due to his size and cardio. I don't think I'd have personally made him my first pick if I was in Chael's shoes but he was definitely someone I had my eye on.

Best Team

Team Sonnen - Again Chael was one of the best coaches this show had ever seen. He had numerous great moments in which he supported and helped build up his fighters. Key point being the way he worked with finalists Uriah Hall and Kelvin Gastelum.

Best Fight

Dylan Andrews vs Luke Barnatt - This was a absolute battle between two tough guys who wouldn't back down. Sadly Luke reminds me in some ways of Stefan Struve who couldn't quite use his reach to full extent and would brawl and be knocked out by people who he shouldn't.

Who I wasn't a fan of

Jon Jones - Personal Bias I know. I'm just never gonna be a fan of Jon as a person. I will say though out of everything he has done. The rewatch of this defo made me dislike him a little less. Until you know he got in trouble again.

Heel Champion

Status

Shade Reviews The Ultimate Fighter

Team Rousey vs Team Tate

Definitely an interesting season in hindsight to look back on as for the first time ever not only would women be competing on the ultimate fighter but they would also be sharing the house with men! Now obviously we all knew the comments and remarks about to be made this season as for lack of a better term I remember a lot of people stating there would be fucking in the house haha. In the end there wasn't anything like that which to be fair was probably for the best this season. Yet there definitely was quite a lot of drama in particular from the coaches Ronda Rousey and Miesha Tate. Now honestly it's amazing to look back and wonder just how different this season would have been had Cat Zingano not been hurt. Because obviously there was a lot of respect between Cat and Ronda which definitely wasn't the case for her and Miesha. In fact I'd even say that because of this bad blood and her behavior at times on the show. This could have been where people began to slowly turn against Ronda Rousey. As I remember myself not liking her or her coaches on this season at all and looking back I can definitely see why.

As while you could definitely see that Ronda wanted the best for her fighters. She very much would be over ruled by her dislike for Tate and this was shown at multiple points in the season as when the team Tate corner would look to show respect following bouts they'd be flipped off constantly and Ronda's comments about Miesha laughing at her girls pain. Honestly there are major Shamrock and Tito vibes in regards to this feud as while yes Tate and in particular Bryan Caraway had said some things in the past and could be expected to be the bad guys this season. Ronda instead was over ruled by it and this dislike in turn only made a more respectful Tate look better. Particular note was when Edmond stared down Dennis Hallman who offered him out in response. Now straight up we all know Hallman dominates that and Ronda got in Dennis' face as if it was his fault. In reality I think she did that to save Edmond.

Onto the talent of this season it was definitely very up and down. Because on the men's side only two individuals really stood out to me and they were Chris Beal and Chris Holdsworth. I knew that one of them would win the tournament and when they got matched up in the early round it was a clear case that this was truly the finals fight. As no offense to eventual finalist Davey Grant but he used questionable tactics to get into the house with attacks to the spine and then didn't even need to win two fights to get to the finale. The women's side however definitely had it's fair share of name value and talents with prominent names in WMMA appearing such as Shayna Baszler, Roxanne Modafferi, Tonya Evinger, Colleen Schneider and Tara LaRosa. Of those names mentioned only two made it into the house and they wouldn't make it past the next round in what was a clear indication that this tournament was the beginning of a new wave of talent for the division.

The standouts were the 4 semi finalists Sarah Moras, Raquel Pennington, Jessica Rakoczy and Juliana Pena with Pena rightfully being the favorite to win despite her being the source of much conflict in the house thanks to her bad attitude. Rakoczy meanwhile was the sentimental favorite having been a boxing champ crossing over into MMA while Moras similar to Pena had upset a big name veteran to get in the house while Pennington had the best fight of the season against Jessamyn Duke. I'd be remiss before the end of this review to say just how much of a mess the men's side of this tournament was. Because while unfortunately for Tim Gorman who suffered a bad leg injury that he'd be removed following making it into the house in place of Louis Fisette. Yet this wasn't where the show fell apart. It fell apart due to the fact not one but two fighters badly missing weight and pissing away their opportunity. The first of which was Cody Bollinger who seemed to have quite a lot of potential before he quit with 5 pounds to go. More unforgivable however was Anthony Gutierrez who in my book might be worse than Gabe Ruediger. Because not only did Anthony advance to the semi finals because Cody failed to make weight. But he was constantly shown to be eating before failing to make weight himself Just a massive fail all around then and what a joke it was that this led to Davey Grant making it to the finals. So yeah this was not a particularly great season but it was filled with some noted drama and moments. Nice to look back on but not something I'll go out of my way to see again.

Who I'd have backed to win

Chris Beal - Beal was someone I was very much aware on and high on before the tournament and someone I banked heavily on to take this tournament. Unfortunately he'd run into a bad hand injury and an early bout with eventual winner Chris Holdsworth.

Shayna Baszler - I went with experience factor again here by picking Shayna and unfortunately it cost me. Must be said though things worked out well for her in the end with her WWE career. So can't say she was hurt badly by this season.

Who Stood out to me/Impressed me

Louis Fisette - I respect people like Louis who just come on this show with nothing to lose and go for it. He may have lost twice but you know damn well had they asked him he'd have stepped in after Anthony's departure. I respect this kid.

Josh Hill - Man It was a shame that Josh didn't perform as well on this show as I'd have liked. Always been a fan of Hill since his impressive showing in defeat against Moraes. Shame he only was a lay and prayer in regards to this season as I'm a fan.

Best Fight

Raquel Pennington vs Jessamyn Duke - Duke is another Luke Barnatt in that she has a lot of physical tools to cause problems but an inability to use her range led to her engaging in these kinda slugfests she shouldn't be having. Regardless this was a fun gutsy performance by both girls.

Best Team

Team Tate - Ronda herself wasn't a bad coach by any means. She was very much ride or die with her fighters. But Meisha was definitely the better coach this season. Which was further shown by her team winning both tournaments.

Who I wasn't a fan of

Ronda Rousey - This season didn't make Ronda look the best let me tell you. Her pettiness in the way she acted to Tate was really bad but what made me laugh more was when Edmond realised he fucked up glaring down Dennis Hallman and she tried to make it sound like it was Dennis' fault. Defo put me off Ronda.

Cody Bollinger - In my book Cody quit. I don't know what happened there because he seemed to have some potential but yeah can't respect someone for packing it in and giving up the way he did.

Anthony Guttierez - So you already get a bye because your opponent missed weight and all we see is you eating in the house so that you can later miss weight. I never expected someone to out Gabe Gabe Ruediger.

Tim Gorman - For someone who constantly talked a big game, he was definitely quick to run across a cage looking for takedowns. Gorman is here because of just a lot of idiotic statements he made. Full respect for him though wanting to fight with a bad leg injury.

Juliana Pena - Pena is someone who I'll always begin by saying that she's clearly got a lot of tools as a fighter. But as a person even on this show she didn't come off very likeable or genuine for that matter.

Heel Champion

Status

Shade reviews the Ultimate Fighter

TUF 19 Team Edgar vs Team Penn

Talk about an uninspiring season. Very much if I had to draw up a list of the order of seasons by quality, TUF 19 very much would be close to the bottom. What sucks is on watching episode one. It was easy to feel some excitement thanks to some electric performances by the likes of Daniel Spohn, Anton Berzin and Tim Williams. But when the season would officially begin. This was all sadly for nought as many of the fights were uninspiring affairs with only the battle between Dhiego Lima and Tim Williams proving to be an exception to the rule. I can honestly tell you guys straight up that this review will probably be my shortest yet as this was such an uninspiring season. Neither of the winners of the tournament looked that great on the show with Corey coming off like a one dimensional fighter and every Eddie Gordon bout being unmemorable. As for the coaches this season we'd see BJ Penn return as he was matched up with old rival Frankie Edgar.

Now this was actually a pleasant surprise for me to look back on because BJ Penn in my book before this season was a piss poor coach. Yet on this season while he wasn't perfect by any means he definitely redeemed himself somewhat with his performance here. While not a perfect coach by any means BJ Penn brought together a very impressive training team here for his team and dominated the early equations of this tournament. I think the turning point sadly came when one of his top dogs Tim Williams was defeated causing BJ to overthink things and believe he was over training his team. This caused their team to slowly come apart and we'd see team Edgar begin to take over. Frankie meanwhile while not a stand out coach was by no means a bad coach at all. He was a fairly chilled guy and honestly this season defo lacked that coaches drama which Penn's previous season with Jens had.

Now I'd be failing if I didn't mention one of the most controversial moments yet in the Ultimate Fighter and thankfully this incident in particular took place in the cage as opposed to the house. This of course was the fight between Roger Zapata and Ian Stephens. A styles clash of the highest order on one side you had the striker Zapata while on the other you had the one dimensional wrestler Stephens. Stephens definitely fit the mold of a lay and pray fighter in this fight as he repeatedly held Zapata down but the controversy came from a point deducted from Zapata thanks to an illegal elbow. To this day this whole situation has baffled me as exciting or not, Stephens controlled Zapata the entire 2 rounds and with the point taken off it should have been a clear cut win for him. Instead they go to a 3rd round with Zapata wins and somehow wins the fight. A very confusing and odd episode to watch. Probably worth a look just to see what you all think. But yeah honestly there's not much else to look back on. This was a poor season!

Daniel Spohn - Biggest disappointment yet by far. All the makings of a Uriah Hall like knockout artist. Yet instead as we'd see he turned into a grappler holding people down and keeping him there. So disheartening.

Cathal Pendred - Definitely a favorite going in. Cathal Pendred here was very much like his UFC run. Very uninspiring and honestly neither of his bouts were worth watching. His fight with King however was fun so there is that.

Lyman Good - Went with pedigree here again and I stand by had Good not been matched with a human Blanket in the qualifying round, he'd have done quite well for him on the show.

Who Stood out/Impressed me

Dhiego Lima - Probably the most entertaining and consistent fighter on this season. Dhiego Lima was probably the only fighter worth going back to watch thanks to entertainment. While his first UFC Run wasn't great. He's performed admirably in his return.

Tim Williams - Second time he's been on this list but man it's hard not for me to rate the skills of Tim Williams. A well rounded fighter who unfortunately has had a bad run in the UFC. I still have faith that Williams will get his due one day.

Josh Stansbury - Let's be honest Josh battered Chris Fields in their fight until he suffered that freak injury. I'm thrilled that he got a second chance on the show as this was a shit situation.

Best Fight

Tim Williams vs Dhiego Lima - This was an entertaining battle on what was quite the underwhelming season of fights. A back and forth battle with a nice submission at the end. Hard not to be impressed with both guys.

Best Coach

Frankie Edgar - Now while on season 5 BJ Penn was quite the poor coach. He definitely redeemed himself some this season. But there was a lot of inconsistency there which certainly wasn't shared by the competent Frankie Edgar. Frankie won this simply by being consistent.

Who I wasn't a fan of

Matt Van Buren - Just a real negative individual who didn't come off well at all. There wasn't anything at all to Matt Van Buren I saw which was likeable. Wasn't happy to see him make the finals.

Roger Zapata - For someone who lucked out a victory the way he did, he sure did like to talk. Hands down the most controversial fight I've ever seen in the ultimate fighter saw Roger Zapata gifted a win against Ian Stephens. Just wasn't impressed at all.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I watched very little of this season because I don't think I was overly into BJ's return. I remember some decent names being involved and looking bad, shit yeah, maybe I should've watched all of this. I wanted him to win though. I've seen some of it here and there. I remember there being monster hype about Cathal Pendred though then seeing him be complete shit I think I watched the opening episode and I remember thinking Spohn was a goddamn beast. Lyman Good, I think, got shitcanned from the get go by Dana for being a Bellator guy. Dana still had his whole Bellator-hate shtick going on around then.

Dhiego Lima really flopped after this huh

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Heel Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    I watched very little of this season because I don't think I was overly into BJ's return. I remember some decent names being involved and looking bad, shit yeah, maybe I should've watched all of this. I wanted him to win though. I've seen some of it here and there. I remember there being monster hype about Cathal Pendred though then seeing him be complete shit I think I watched the opening episode and I remember thinking Spohn was a goddamn beast. Lyman Good, I think, got shitcanned from the get go by Dana for being a Bellator guy. Dana still had his whole Bellator-hate shtick going on around then.

Dhiego Lima really flopped after this huh
    Honestly I really didn't fancy seeing BJ coaching again on the show and I even questioned why he was getting another shot at Edgar with their career trajectories. To his credit though, he was a better coach this time round than his first appearance. He actually seemed more interested in being here for this season. Mate Cathal Pendred's hype to this day is something I'm confused about. Because it seems to me before the show he was basically a heavy top game grappler not much else and that was against subpar competition. Yet on the show, he got absolutely exposed. Crazy to think he like won 4 straight in the UFC. Lyman defo got fucked over, so I'm glad he's proved Dana wrong by making it to the UFC and actually having some solid performances. Always a fan of this.

Lima is a tough one TBH and I think what doesn't help is his brother is pound for pound one of the top welterweights in the world. It's basically like comparing Antonina to Valentina. In that if there wasn't that relation out there smashing it, you'd be like OK they are serviceable but when they compete in the same weight class it's just more noted who the success story is. Going by this show though, I really wanted Lima to do well. He was the most must watch guy on there. So having rewatched it, I have a new found appreciation for him and will be rooting for him in his next bout.

Heel Champion

Status

Shade reviews The Ultimate Fighter

TUF 20: Team Pettis vs Team Melendez

A history making season to say the least. This season entitled a champion will be crowned was put together to introduce the women's Strawweight division in order to crown it's first champion. Which is why it is no surprise that this season has quite the stacked cast filled with numerous credible contenders. I think what's crazy is to know it nearly was more packed with names knowing that the likes of Joanna and Gadelha were intended to be on the series as well but for one reason or another they were left of the series and brought into the UFC at a later date. One thing I found interesting and different this season was the use of tournament seeding and predetermined match ups. What this did mean unfortunately was a lot of the opening round matches weren't competitive whatsoever as the weaker fighters found themselves put up against the stronger fighters right away.

Of course this also took the match making away from the coaches as really all they could do is determine the bout order. While it was definitely an interesting concept. I very much prefer seeing the deliberation of match ups and it would have been nice to hear why they got put in said position against one another. What was great however were the introductory promos each fighter got during their episode to fight. It very much helped you get to know these characters all the more quicker and made you invest in the personalities as the show went on. While for most part as I mentioned early on the opening round of the tournament was quite predictable we did get two shake ups. The first being the surprising upsets carried out by underdog Randa Markos while the second would be the unfortunate injury suffered by Justine Kish which allowed Tecia Torres to fight once more.

Coaching wise you had Anthony Pettis and Gilbert Melendez who very much didn't seem to have any feeling towards one another at all. Both coaches were strictly business even when Team Pettis dominated Team Melendez throughout the tournament. Were it not for the run turned in by Rose Namajunas, Gilbert Melendez nearly ended up having a worse TUF record than Rampage Jackson. The main drama seemingly came from the women in the house as honestly it did seem like the only way to potentially have prevented it would have been to keep Penne, Esparza, Herrig, Magana, Rawlings, Hill and Namajunas on the same team. This would have very much kept all the bitchier housemates away from the likes of Joanne Calderwood and Tecia Torres for example. Apart from that I'd say this season is definitely worth a look for the history of crowning it's first Strawweight champion and it does have some fun fights. Same time round it is relatively uneventful which is why my review has been kept so brief.

Carla Esparza - I said it with Roy Nelson and I said it with Mac Danzig. Now I get to say it here with Carla Esparza. This was a woman who didn't really need to be on the show. As the reigning champion of Invicta, it didn't take long for Carla to prove herself as the top woman on the show as she put away Angela Hill with ease. From here she'd use her wrestling to dominate Tecia Torres and Jessica Penne before putting away Rose to win a title which probably could have just been handed to her to begin with.

Who Stood Out/Impressed me

Randa Markos - It's tough in a season with a ton of UFC calibre people to pick standouts as everyone impresses in one way or another. But same time I can't not give some credit to Randa Markos. Having been a no name before the show she upset the field several times beating both Tecia Torres and Felice Herrig to make it to the semi finals against Rose. While in the UFC she hasn't been able to maintain consistency, it's hard not to be impressed with Randa here.

Best Team

Team Pettis - This was a dominant season for Anthony. His team very much swept Gilbert in the opening round going 7 to 1. I wouldn't really say either guy was a bad coach, it was more a case that Pettis' selections performed better.

Best Fight

Rose Namajunas vs Joanne Calderwood - Now this was a fun fight. More than that it also showed us all just how good Rose Namajunas was as before this she was just seen as someone with youth on her side and potential. But in this fight against a game Calderwood, the two had a battle and Rose picked up an impressive finish.

Who I wasn't a fan of

Angela Magana - While her story and her upbringing was sad not too mention horrific to learn about. There's no denying that Angela Magana was a bitch on this season. While a lot of the house mates had their trivial drama. Her antics and treatment of others really stood out and made her the villain of the season by miles.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information