Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shade reviews The Ultimate Fighter!

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Shade reviews The Ultimate Fighter!

Shade reviews the Ultimate Fighter

Team Liddell vs Team Ortiz

Two of the show's most successful coaches returned for this season and while for Tito Ortiz this would be standard fare participating against a rival. For Chuck it would be a stark contrast from his very respectful dynamic with Randy Couture during the first season. You could very much see that unlike some of the other rivalries I've seen so far, there was genuine bad blood and hatred here. There was real potential for a fight to break out with this pair and it nearly did a few times thanks to the many disqualifications we saw on this season. I'd also say that unlike season 3 of the show, I'm not sure this was the best showing for Tito Ortiz. He didn't come off as well at all at times such as his interactions with Chuck and also his treatment of Clayton. Yet same time he was a good coach and you could see that deep down he cared for his boys and was devastated when Dana kicked him off the show when he pulled out the fight due to his injuries.

This season had quite a solid cast of fighters as it also served to introduce the wildcard format for the first time. Now while in future seasons there were questionable choices for this. The wildcard here made for a compelling storyline to follow throughout the season as we'd see Kris McCray despite his shocking early elimination from the tournament. Make some big developments and turn things around as he beat the likes as tough veteran Kyacey Uscola, his training partner and friend Kyle Noke and then the guy who beat him in the first place Josh Bryant to make it to the final. He wouldn't be the only one to get a second chance as eventual winner and reformed drug addict Court McGee came off a controversial loss to Nick Ring and rebounded with some impressive victories over James Hammortree and Brad Tavares to get to the finals where he'd pick up his 3rd consecutive submission victory as part of the show.

I will say that for most part there wasn't like many true stand out personalities this season as a lot of guys tended to fade into the background. However the individuals who stood out to me were Kris McCray for obviously fighting every Tuesday. Court McGee for his redemption story and of course Jamie Yager for very much being the dick of the house. Now I actually found Yager to be quite the impressive combatant in the early going. He had a lot of natural gifts with his athleticism and his power but as we'd see later on in the tournament when the tide was turned against him and he had to fight from underneath. He really seemed to lack the heart for it which was a shame. I will say on this note that I'd have very much liked to have seen how Chris Camozzi fared during the season. Because there is one thing Camozzi has shown especially by his repeated call outs and fights with Jacare. It's that he won't back down or be broken by anyone.

I also found myself rooting for Kyacey Uscola quite a bit over the season. As I really liked how he owned having a shit record but at the same time he said there was a fuck ton of fights I just shouldn't have taken. Unfortunately for him he dropped 2 fights on the season one of which was very controversial as while there was no denying during the second DQ of the season that Seth Baczynski connected with a soccer kick right to the head of Tavares. It was only in multiple rewatches that I saw Kyacey's illegal knees didn't connect with Attonito's head. They broke his arm yeah but they really didn't connect with his head what so ever. In a way it reminds me of Jones losing to Hamill. In that while yes he landed an illegal blow. The reason the guy receiving the blow couldn't continue was not for a reason to be DQed for if that makes sense. Like Matt really had injured his shoulder during a sprawl and Rich had injured his arm during the knee. So yeah I'd probably disagree with that. Out of all the seasons I've watched I'd say this was perhaps the least interesting of the bunch. Regardless it wasn't a horrific season by any means.

Who I'd pick to win

Nick Ring - On paper he had the best record and he looked good in his early fight. Ring was well rounded and while yes his fight with Court definitely deserved an extra round. It was a shame that we never truly got to see how he'd perform in the tournament thanks to his knee injury.

Fight of the season

Court McGee vs Seth Baczynski - Rare case but this was a fight to get into the house and an absolute battle as both guys hurt one another and rebounded. While it sucked to see one eventually lose. Seth was able to return to the show thanks to Camozzi's injury.

Who I saw potential in

Joe Henle - Very impressed with Henle. Not so much during his opening fight despite the fact he upset future top 10 fighter Costa Phillipou after being battered by him. But more his performance in defeat to Seth. As Henle handled himself quite well and showed quite a lot of development. It was a shame they never gave him a chance at the finale.

Seth Baczynski - A tough and gritty competitor who lost his opening round bout but was brought back following the jaw injury of Chris Camozzi. Seth was a tough well rounded fighter who did quite well for himself despite arguably being good at everything and great at nothing.

Kris McCray - You had to root for Kris really. As Dana even said it he basically fought every Tuesday. Based on the fact that he always seemed to be improving and just never backed down. It was a fun story to follow.

Best Team

Team Liddell - Neither team was really bad but Team Chuck definitely gelled together better out of the teams. You could definitely see a divide in Team Ortiz.

Who I despised

Tito Ortiz - OK so this is more down to moments than it is overall. Because honestly Tito isn't a bad coach by any means. You know what you are gonna get from him. The reason he is on here was I didn't really like the way he handled an injured Clayton following his loss. Making him immediately drill the submission he got caught in.

Heel Champion

Status

Team Mayhem vs Team Bisping

Now this was a bloody good season! I've said it before and I'll say it again I love it when The Ultimate Fighter is used to establish a new weight class. Because they seem to overload it with talent and all in all it puts on a good show. I mean if you look at two guys who failed to make it onto the show alone. You'd see one of the early tournament favorites Michah Miller as well as future UFC top ranked fighter Jimmie Rivera. Coaching this season would be Jason Miller and Michael Bisping and man did I really enjoy the back and forth on this season. It made for quite compelling viewing as opposed to when Michael was on this with the ever cool Dan Henderson. Again Bisping is proof to this rule I've noticed about fighters who have been on the show before themselves making for good coaches as he was a brilliant coach whose only setback I'd argue was his team seemed at times to have major personality clashes and fiery moments as opposed to the more close knit Team Miller.

Mayhem was quite a surprise this season as while you could definitely see his goofiness at points. He made for quite the great coach himself and it was clear that he cared for his guys. The talent on this season as I've already said was great with standouts being Diego Brandao, Dennis Bermudez, Akira Corassani, TJ Dillashaw, Louis Gaudinot, John Dodson, Johnny Bedford, Dustin Pague and Steven Siler having some noted performances. The opening 16 fights to make it onto the show were filled with action with all but three of them I think being finished in one way or another. I think what I liked as well about this season was practically everyone stood out for one reason or another as a personality. Be it the emotionally volatile slugger Diego Brandao or the cocky prankster Akira Corassani or even John Dodson who turned traitor on his team for a majority of the early part of the season until it was exposed spectacularly later on.

There was a notable lot of confrontations on this season in particular due to the antics of Akira. A prankster who was quite the shit talker. Akira rubbed a lot of people the wrong way but there was no denying he was quite the entertainer and it was his feud with Dustin Neace which really got air time as Neace mistakingly assumed some pranks on him were by Akira when they wasn't and not only did he wreck his stuff but he also shot in for a weak takedown on him during a stare down. true to form there was some controversy in that bout over a phantom tap. It's definitely a tough one to call but the referee didn't stop it and Akira rebounded to beat Neace down and take the win. While Akira didn't make the finals or win the show. Extra credit has to be given to him because he fucking demolished Dennis Bermudez the entire round of their fight before Dennis caught a quick takedown and guillotine. He might have chatted shit but the man did have the talent to back it up.

Pranks definitely were key on this season of the show and I definitely have to mention the be all and end all of pranks here. See while we had been treated to tires being removed, cars being towed and even donkey shit being thrown not too mention sweaty underwear being put in people's faces. The best and funniest prank without a doubt was carried out by Team Bisping when they attacked the gym with fire extinguishers sending a scurrying team mayhem out into a mariachi band Honestly that was one of the best things I have seen and it set the bar for pranks high for seasons to come. This for me is a must watch season of the show filled with great fights and action, a lot of fun pranks and a ton of drama. Defo worth a look as well to see Diego Brandao come off like a mini Wanderlei Silva just obliterating people.

Who I'd pick to win

John Dodson - Hands down the stand out at Bantamweight. Dodson you could tell even with him coasting at points with fights. Was the stand out of 135 division. Will admit with his return looming I'd be open to seeing a rematch between Dodson and Dillashaw at this stage in their careers.

Dennis Bermudez - Diego was a wrecking machine no doubt but Michael said it himself he could get tired and we'd already seen Dennis weather some tough storms to get to the finals. Obviously I was wrong but the way their fight went it could have been anyones.

Fight of the Season

Diego Brandao vs Dennis Bermudez - I have tried to say fights on the show as opposed to the finale for most part. But there are special cases like this one which just can't be ignored. Brandao and Dennis while only a 1 round fight was pure insanity in which both guys got hurt badly culminating with Diego catching Dennis in a real Hail Mary Armbar.

Who I saw potential in

Johnny Bedford - He had a lot of size for bantamweight which I definitely felt would serve him well. This was further established at the finale where he battered the very undersized Louis Gaudinot.

Best Team

Team Miller - Overall they just seemed to click better. Yes Dodson did go traitor but they had nowhere near the amount of blow ups that Team Bisping had. However TBH there wasn't really a best/worst team on this show. The coaches on both were great and the fighters performed well.

Who I didn't like

Dustin Neace - Like Akira was the guy who defo wore the black hat this season but honestly. Neace and his over reactions to things did trigger a lot of the conflict. Along with this his cheap shot double leg just didn't sit well with me.

Heel Champion

Status

Shade Reviews The Ultimate Fighter

Team Lesnar vs Team Dos Santos

The first season I watched on Fight Pass. I'm gonna be honest and say with this season I think for me my fascination with it comes down to two simple things. My intrigue and curiosity at seeing Brock Lesnar take a coaching gig and my fandom of Tony Ferguson. Having heard stories about the kind of guy Brock was and how he didn't really like being around that many people. I was curious to see just how he'd fare as a coach especially when compared to a very humble and likeable Junior Dos Santos. In the early going it appeared that it wouldn't be that well because Junior's team had an early run of success and there were frequent comments that Lesnar only really took an interest when the cameras were on. However as the season went on Brock turned things around and defo took an interest as TBH I'd say his coaching was pivitol to season underdog Chris Cope upsetting Shamar Bailey for one thing.

Truthfully though with my rewatch of the season I can honestly say that it's definitely a weaker season overall compared to many that I have watched. There are not many standout fights or performances throughout. Which is why I am thankfull that we had Tony Ferguson because everytime he fought there was violence and a vicious knockout at the end of it. another standout was Ramsey Nijem who performed very well all the way to the finals in what was actually a nice reminder of just how decent a fighter he was. While also standing out in the wrong way in the house for frequently trying to get naked and dance for people Along with these two I'd say my main standout was Chuck O'Neil. Chuck was basically the people's favorite who failed early but come back and gave his all to get to the finals. Yet sadly he wasn't able to have that Kris McCray run.

Another person who stood out more as a personality than as a fighter was pariah Chris Cope. The target of a lot of shit and back talk. Cope wasn't much to watch in the cage but thanks to his conditioning and Brock's coaching he was another surprising underdog who made it to the semi finals before being stopped by Ramsay. I think tragically the show might have been more interesting if Myles Jury didn't get hurt in the early going. While I don't see Jury beating Ferguson he definitely would have added an interesting challenge on the tournament and I could honestly see him making it to the finals as well. Jury wasn't the only one to leave this season as while Jury left due to a bad injury. Keon Caldwell very much quit. Junior tried his hardest to get Keon to stay but there was clearly no helping him. Thankfully the scrapping Justin Edwards took his place and made a fun bout with Tony Ferguson happen.

Apart from this came the drama with Lew Polley. Now I am of two minds about this because Lew clearly clashed with Junior's ideals. Lew wanted harder training and to really work the guys while Junior wanted things more laid back. So I wasn't surprised that the two clashed however what surprised me was how bad Lew's departure seemed to play an effect on his team. But Ramsey did say it best when he said that the issue he had with Lew going was that with the rest of Junior's team not speaking like fluent english it was going to be tough to take instruction during fights. I can sympathise with that and I do feel for the guys on the team for having setbacks with that drama. One person who I didn't sympathise with however was Len Bentley. Now Len did have quite an entertaining fight in the opening round which deserved a 3rd round. Yet instead a decision was ruled for Ryan McGilvary. Now while Len should have been a shoe in for the wildcard he didn't get it surprisingly as Javier Torres was picked over him.

Now I can understand why Len was frustrated but he didn't put himself in the best light with how he bitched and moaned about it frequently before potentially blowing his shot at the finale by asking for specific fights. It's a shame as he clearly was talented but that trip to the hospital with his knee injury fucked him up badly for the rest of the show. Zach Davis meanwhile also joined the hospital trips and this was a sad one as Zach seemed to have some potential. Yet an eye injury basically ended his career on this show. Now I know this review has took a dark turn but let's be honest this season wasn't exactly a ray of sunshine. As obviously I've taken till now to mention Tony's rampage. This was a bad situation which I've actually looked into but honestly by the sounds of it everyone was hammered and Tony got badly triggered thinking Charlie had poured beer on him and brought up his son. This set up a bad chain reaction and very much made Tony the villain of the season. Which was a surprising turn from a few episodes before in which they said that Tony kept himself to himself. I've never really been sure what to make of this event as we all know Tony is a little crazy but this seemed very out of character for him. It definitely was a standout episode and moment in what was an uninspiring season. A couple of fun fights and a little intrigue but this season wasn't much to write home about.

Who I thought would win

Tony Ferguson - I mean it's hard not to pick the guy knocking everyone out. As the show went on him and Nijem were definitely the standouts. I just felt that the power would make the difference which it very much did.

Fight of the Season

Tony Ferguson vs Justin Edwards - This was a one round battle. Edwards was another late comer to the show but he went for it in this bout with Tony. Both guys threw to finish and both got hurt before Tony blasted him with an upkick. On a season with a lot of meh fights. This stood out.

Who I saw potential in

Chuck O'Neil - Like Dana White said it on the show. I really liked what I saw from Chuck O'Neil. A late replacement following an injury to Myles Jury. Chuck didn't perform that great in his first bout with Zach. But he more than made up for it with his later run on the show as he beat Javier Torres and won a rematch with Zach. He might have got battered by Tony but even in that fight he showed a ton of heart before finally falling.

Chris Cope - I mean let's be honest I don't think anyone expected to see him make it to the semi finals. Yet Cope's unlikely run seemed to be aided by the fact that a lot of people underestimated him and also by the fact that he had great conditioning. Also I mean the improvements you saw in him from the Torres fight to the Bailey fight. Showed that Cope was not the worst guy that everyone thought he was.

Best Team

Team Lesnar - Both teams had their problems for sure. But to me it seemed that team Brock did better as the show went on while team JDS fell apart with the drama involving Lew Polley.

Who I wasn't a fan of

Shamar Bailey - It wasn't really anything so much personally. It was more just this belief that come about that he was the top dog in the house. The guy was a blanket with all due respect and he got embarrassed during his so called grudge match with Cope only to cite an injury.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

I was reading your review thinking "what the hell" until you mentioned the Ferguson rampage at the end? Sadly, one of the main things to remember out of the season except for Tony's fights. Not much else that was impressive.

I do sometimes look back and wonder how different things could possibly be if Ferguson didn't land that up kick. I think it's safe to say he was probably on his way to a close loss at that point.

Heel Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Stojy View Post
    I was reading your review thinking "what the hell" until you mentioned the Ferguson rampage at the end? Sadly, one of the main things to remember out of the season except for Tony's fights. Not much else that was impressive.

I do sometimes look back and wonder how different things could possibly be if Ferguson didn't land that up kick. I think it's safe to say he was probably on his way to a close loss at that point.
    Ah dude tell me about it. Like I think the novelty of seeing Brock in this situation wore off quickly and honestly if it wasn't the season that discovered Tony Ferguson. This might very well be one of the worst seasons going. I will say and I stand by this what may have rose this situation up a little bit would have been if Myles Jury didn't get hurt and have to withdraw. Because I don't think he'd have beaten Tony but he'd just be another credible name in the tournament and definitely a tougher fight for Tony than what he had in the house. And honestly yeah if he didn't land that upkick he was definitely losing that fight to that point as Edwards was giving all he had. To his credit though if there is one thing we know about Tony he is never out of a fight and that was shown here. But yeah that rampage will stick with him with this season. One of the only memorable things by far.

Heel Champion

Status

Shade Reviews the Ultimate Fighter

Team GSP vs Team Koscheck

Now this is a curious one going into it I will admit. Look we all know that Josh Koscheck is a dick. He's got a list longer than my arm of things to hate him for and even on this show there were moments where you could see it. But honestly I'm just going to say it. I don't know if it's because I expected less or worse but I actually for most part quite liked Josh on my rewatch and I'll explain why. Firstly though let's just be honest GSP was never going to be the villain here. He's humble and gracious and honestly he took a very smart approach to his team in that rather than coach them himself. He brought in all his coaches to do that and acted more as a training partner. This was a move I very much liked and respected and we'd see him bring in a great wealth of talent for them such as Freddie Roach and Phil Nurse. Koscheck however while at times he could be immature and a dick. You could see he cared for his fighters. He was in there with them and when they lost he lost with them. Which made it all the more annoying when in the later parts of the season you saw his guys complaining about the coaches because it's like guys He's brought AKA with him. Daniel Cormier was his assistant coach for god sake!

So honestly yeah while I thought in the run up oh I'm gonna dislike Koscheck. Instead I found myself disliking a lot of the fighters on his team. Because honestly for one reason or another a lot of them took some embarrassing losses throughout the show. None more so than Koscheck's first pick Marc Stevens. Before I get on this brilliance all credit to GSP for playing Koscheck like a fiddle in an effort to have Josh pick Marc Stevens over Michael Johnson. GSP did a great hustle there but it's crazy to think that if Josh didn't fall for it his first pick would have been Michael Johnson. Now back onto Stevens, Stevens by all accounts was on paper a potential favorite to do well in this tournament. He had a decent record some good power and some great wrestling. Yet at the same time you could just see his ego build the second he was the first pick. Like when you think about it there was no real way Stevens should have lost to Cody McKenzie. McKenzie with all respect is a tough guy but a guy like him the worst thing he could have ever done was go on a show like this. Because everyone then knew to avoid the guillotine choke. National TV took away his element of surprise unfortunately as we'd see through his UFC and later career. Yet instead Stevens in his over confidence panicked when Cody rushed him and got guillotined in like 13 seconds.

He wasn't the only one on team Koscheck with a questionable attitude as honestly guys like Jeff Lentz, Sevak Magakian and Andy Main all come off badly at points. Be it bitching about their coaching or in the case of Lentz smoking in between workouts. It just got to a point where I honestly almost began having sympathy for Josh at having to deal with all these guys and I sure as shit felt bad for the one good fighter on his team Nam Phan. Nam you could tell was serious and here to win. Despite being undersized he had some good performances and I really liked the work he did to the body. So honestly for most part I'd say a lot of the reason his team turned against him was out of petty jealousy that had had made it further in the tournament than a lot of them could even dream of! While we'd see Team Koscheck basically fall apart as the season went on things weren't harmonious on Team GSP either. This was down to the immaturity really of Alex Caceres which brought him into conflict with Michael Johnson. Now while GSP very much was a great guy to his team I will forever question why he pushed for that fight to happen. Alex while he had potential very much lacked the wrestling to deal with Michael and it showed. It was a terrible match for a fighter on his team to take.

The winner of this season was of course Jonathan Brookins. Now on this show Brookins looked dangerous with the way he'd just get people down. Beat them up and submit them. Honestly I overlooked him mainly as I remembered him getting tooled up by Jose Aldo badly in the WEC. No shame of course losing to Jose but Jose made him look bad. So I was surprised to see him make it to the finals let alone beat Michael Johnson who as we'd know was the most successful fighter on this show. As for drama there was a couple of little moments as well as Michael and Alex's rivalry. One thing that stood out was the Cody McKenzie and Josh Koscheck feud. Honestly if the UFC would have put them together down the line following this. I'd have watched that fight. I also know for whatever reason that it wasn't shown on TV that Jeff Lentz broke the jaw of Spencer Paige in a fight and now of course it's time for me to get to Josh Koscheck and Brad Tate. Now the beauty of editing here is this made Koscheck look worse than what the DVD extras did. It come off that Koscheck was salty about Tate dissing his fighting style and career. Yet as we'd see from a classy and apologetic Koscheck during the DVD extras he didn't care what Tate said to him. In fact he encouraged it but what he didn't like and had to stop was Brad antagonising his fighters as some of whom at this point wanted to fight him and were risking getting kicked off the show. Josh could have handled it a lot better obviously but again I kinda like the fact that he stood up for his guys. This wasn't a great season by any means. There wasn't many standout fights or whatever. But the show did make me turn around on Josh Koscheck a little and before I forget. There is an absolute gem midway through the season in which a hammered Jean Charles Skarbowsky shows up and just wrecks people. So that's worth a little look for sure haha.

Who I would have picked to win

Nam Phan - He was fighting at the wrong weight but honestly in cases like this I do lean towards a veteran with big fight experience. From my reviews I've already seen guys like Danzig among others perform great because of their experience. Sadly with Nam he was just too small and it allowed Michael Johnson to out wrestle him.

Best Fight

Aaron Wilkinson vs Michael Johnson - Now this was a good fight. Like many I did see a lot in Michael Johnson on this show and honestly I was pleasantly surprised with the fight Aaron Wilkinson gave him. Wilkinson fought his heart out here and actually was out striking Michael with technique. In the end Michael may have won but this performance made Aaron a worthy wildcard winner.

Who I saw potential in

Alex Caceres - He may have been immature but it was tough not to like Bruce Leroy. His fight with Jeff Lentz was a lot of fun but similar to Koscheck I also began to question just why GSP would push for Alex to fight Johnson. I get that both wanted it but that was a terrible fight for him to take.

Sako Chivitchian - A lot of Team Koscheck I didn't find myself being impressed with but there was something about Sako I liked. He had a great Judo background and a lot of skill. Honestly it'd have been nice to see him get another shot despite losing to Watson at the finale. I felt he could have done more.

Dane Sayers - Despite nearly spiking himself on his own head with that flying knee in his qualifying fight. I saw a lot I liked in Dane this season. He had a lot of heart and a lot of guts. He definitely over performed against Sako and despite the loss he had nothing to be ashamed of. While I got the frustration about him not getting the wildcard. At the same time I can understand it because honestly. At that very time I think Marc Stevens would have beat Dane as well. Surprised he's never been given another look tbh.

Pablo Garza - Going a bit controversial here as he never made it into the house. But I liked Pablo Garza. He was unfortunately matched against Michael in the qualifying bout. But due to his great record they bought him in regardless of the loss for the finale where he annihilated Paixao with a vicious flying knee. He had some wild finishes in his UFC run and it was a shame to see him leave after some rough losses to Poirier and Brandao.

Best Team

Team GSP - I mean like I said Josh Koscheck was by no means a terrible coach. But Team GSP just worked better overall. He had a great rotating group of coaches and his decision to be their training partner was a good one.

Who I didn't like/care for

Brad Tate - Who is Brad Tate? That's a question Josh asked and I find myself still answering. He had a lot to say for himself towards Josh and Team Koscheck and while Josh could have handled things better. He did very much have some of it coming.

Most of Team Koscheck - Honestly this is just for bitching about their coaches when they didn't perform. Marc Stevens for example was the top pick and was constantly told by Dave Camarillo to respect what Cody brought to the dance. Yet he still shot in and got choked out. However he like the others blamed their coaching rather than accept fault. That attitude doesn't sit with me.

Heel Champion

Status

Shade reviews The Ultimate Fighter

Team UK vs Team USA

Countries collide for this special season of the Ultimate Fighter as the UK would battle Team USA. Now I have to be honest. This season has never really been one which stood out to me. Like unlike others where I could remember things or pieces before my rewatch I honestly didn't have much to look back on. Part of the reason I think was the season very much was tame. Like there wasn't really much drama or antics to talk about and honestly even Michael Bisping said it in his book. The show probably would have been more entertaining had Rich Franklin been the one to coach against him as opposed to the very quiet and soft spoken Dan Henderson. This is something I definitely agree with because for most part Dan just faded into the background.

It very much become clear in the opening episode that the UK guys weren't fucking around as we saw some very impressive finishes and moments. A few things that stood out to me were Andre Winner's KO of Gary Kelly and Ross Pearson mauling AJ Wenn. I was also surprised to see that both Che Mills and Alex Reid were in the qualifying matches of the season with Mills surprisingly being tapped in like 30 seconds while Reid made an absolute idiot of himself against Dean Amasinger by just laying on his back and going for triangles. While he did come close at points Reid really should have tried to do more as chances are he'd have beated the very raw Amasinger. I also feel as a personality he'd have definitely brought a little more life into this season.

Team USA meanwhile was an absolute shambles during it's qualifier. We had another fainter this time in Jason Pierce who'd be a constant source of frustration during this season. We saw a failed weight cut lead to a fighter quit and we also saw some guy somehow develop herpes on his fucking forehead. Where he'd been putting his head I don't know So honestly you could just see this wasn't looking good for Team USA as not really anyone stood out apart from Mark Miller who had to destroy one of his friends to get in the house and the veteran Damarques Johnson who hands down was the best fighter on their team. I found the team banter very cringy as Team USA seemed to just think of UK stereotypes countlessly with a very stupid Rob Browning thinking it was good day and put another shrimp on the barbie Honestly though Rob wasn't anything special and nothing like his brother (That's a review I'm waiting for haha). As the season went on there'd be occassional tension between the teams such as Bisping spraying Johnson in the face with a water bottle but honestly nothing ever really came of it.

Dan Henderson for his part seemed like a good coach and he had some good guys on his staff but honestly his team didn't click at all despite his best efforts. They never united as the UK guys did and while at first things did seem even going into the semi finals with it being 4 UK guys vs 4 USA guys. Soon you saw what the first few episodes made clear that the UK guys weren't messing around as 3 of them won their fights with only Nick Osipczak losing an absolute war against Johnson. I think one thing I will say was quite a pleasant surprise about this season was it reminded me of how solid James Wilks was as a fighter. It's a shame his UFC run had setbacks and his career was cut short to injuries because honestly he looked quite good across the season. But yeah this wasn't a standout season by any means and probably not one I'll watch again for a very long time.

Who I'd have picked to win

Damarques Johnson - He had experience and a lot of skill. It was hard not to see Johnson as the top dog for his team by miles. I think what also threw me was the opening round really didn't establish just how talented Wilks was.

Andre Winner - I really liked Andre Winner. He had good stand up and some surprisingly good submissions in his repotoire. Which is why I picked him over Ross who I saw as a more one dimensional brawler.

Best Fight

Damarques Johnson vs Nick Osipczak - This was a battle. I think watching this season you could tell Damarques was a top dog but it was hard to gauge where Nick was in comparison. Then these two put on an absolute war and just banged it out. Can't say enough about this fight.

Ross Pearson vs Jason Dent - There are rare cases when a guy is more impressive in defeat than in victory. Up until the semi finals Jason Dent didn't look that impressive but in this fight with the pitbull that is Ross Peason. Dent gave him a fight and these two had a battle with Dent showing quite a lot of heart. This was a moral victory for Dent.

Who I saw Potential in

Frankie Lester - To me some guys are just straight fighters. Ross Pointon earned my respect for being willing to fight anyone and Frankie Lester reminds me a lot of that. The guy was a little too cocky before his first bout with Wilks and then basically lost all his front teeth. They had to pull them from his gum shield Yet he still wanted to fight again. He literally said they are just teeth and spoke about getting his stitches removed in order to fight again. He got his chance and out hearted Dave Faulker before unfortunately losing to Wilks again. But honestly I respect Frankie Lester for doing what he could in this tournament.

Jeff Lawson - I feel for Lawson so much on this show. He was probably Team UK's most experienced guy and everyone said he was sick as fuck for the first few weeks and unable to train. So when he goes against USA's most experienced Jason Dent, Lawson takes it too him as best he can only to completely gas out and get caught in a submission after practically owning most of the fight. Sucks he didn't get a second chance at the finale. He had some fun grappling abilities.

Nick Osipczak - At times he could be a little cocky but I liked Nick. He had good size for his weight and some very good stand up. His fight with Damarques was an absolute battle. He's someone I do try and keep tabs on every now and then as he did try and make a comeback following his UFC departure.

Best Team

Team UK - Team USA didn't work together really at all. Like it was a group of individuals not a team. At least team UK came together and supported one another. Dan Henderson for his part wasn't a bad coach but he didn't have much to work with.

Who I didn't like

Jason Pierce - Truth be told I didn't really like much of Team USA but there is no doubt in my mind that Pierce didn't want to fight. He was moody and negative. I don't think we really saw him smile once. The guy just was there and it was annoying to see him just moping about constantly.

David Faulkner - Let's just be honest. He might have had talent but Dave didn't have the heart to be a fighter. I don't know what was going on with him but he just irritated me and then he quit on the stool. I don't blame Michael for being pissed off with him saying how much he enjoyed it.

Heel Champion

Status

Team Nogueira vs Team Mir

This is a rewatch I was looking forward to for as we know when it comes to notoriety there is perhaps no season which stands out for insanity more than season 8 of the ultimate fighter does. The tone for which was very much set when later tournament favorite Phillipe Nover fainted due to heat exhaustion. So basically we had a fighter drop before the show had even began haha. This would then bring us towards the opening fights to get into the show and I got to say there was quite a few standout finishes and moments here. Beginning with Krzystof Sozynski absolutely destroying an overmatched opponent with a series of punches. From here we'd see fainting Phillipe, Junie Browning and Ryan Bader all particularly stand out before we'd see Karn Grigorian also standout for picking up a robbery of a decision against Eliot Marshall. Of course it wouldn't be long for a lot of decisions to be taken back as not only would Antwain Britt lose his spot in the house due to injury but so would Karn and Brian McLaughlin.

Perhaps this is a little harsh to say but I don't feel either Karn or Brian would have really performed much better on the show than they did. So they didn't really come off as huge losses when they were replaced by Kyle Kingsbury and Rolando Delgago. In fact I'd add the entertainment factor went up with these two additions as Kyle was a very strong goofy personality and Delgado was apart of quite a few situations in the house. Britt however I've seen fight in Strikeforce and while I don't think he'd have won the show. I'd have liked to have seen him get a shot especially as he beat Ryan Jimmo (RIP) to get into the house. As for the coaches this season you definitely had quite the stark contrast. One side you had Frank Mir and honestly at times I think Frank came off perhaps a little disinterested but he still seemed a solid coach for most part. I've read interviews after of his about his experience about the show and the dvd extras show that he was perhaps more invested than edited to be.

Nogueira meanwhile might be one of the best coaches the show has had too date. Not just for training but also for the bond he developed with his fighters. He came off like an absolute sweet heart and gentleman on this show who basically was a proud father to his team. His coach Stankie as well was a lot of fun and a true character. But honestly when we talk about characters and season 8 of the ultimate fighter. We all know that the talk in reality has to turn to the house and everything that went on in this season. In truth I will say the drama on this season was at peak and it was for the best as honestly there wasn't really many standout fights or performances. Like you could see guys had talent on this season but it wasn't like wow guys you got to see this or that. Instead it was OMG did you see what went on in the house because this season was absolute madness. So let's get the obvious elephant in the room out of the way and talk about Junie Browning.

The guy who topped Chris Leben. Junie was an absolute fucking maniac. He'd throw glasses like they were tennis balls and he'd lose his shit out of nowhere for the littlest reason. Junie lived up to his nickname as the Lunatic and honestly he deserved to be kicked off the show but we all know Dana kept him because he made the season. Like let's be honest that is why he was on the main card of the finale and while to this day I'm a bit irked that the UFC never gave us Marlon Sims vs Noah Thomas following their fight on TUF 5 haha. I will say though I saw potential in Junie. I could see some raw talent in him despite his many flaws and I think it's a shame how Frank Mir basically hit the nail on the head that sometimes it's the ones with all the tools and talent who piss it away. Because Junie set his sights on day one to eventual winner Efrain Escudero for reasons I'm not quite sure about and he wound up forgoing any instruction to getting subbed by Efrain in the semis. Efrain of course was called out all season with Shane trying to punk him while drunk and Junie even hopping a cage to go for him. I will admit watching this season I actually had hope for Escudero in the UFC especially after he destroyed Cole Miller at UFC 103 but his career never quite panned out.

Another guy who stood out for his antics albeit in a more harmless was Krzystof Sozynski. A prankster of the highest order Sozynski was a constant source of entertainment with his very creative practical jokes. The two standouts for me were when he made a funeral for Jules ahead of his fight with Vinny and also when he moved all the kitchen cutlery and table out on the basketball court to tell everyone to fuck off On this note about antics now we get to the bodily fluids and the tone was set very early on when Vinny pissed on Efrain's bed in what was a massive over reaction to a prank pulled on him. I know Eliot tried to say that's Vinny but Jesus Christ. That was definitely a step up to a lame prank the red team pulled from here things only escalated food got involved and we'd see future MLW star Tom Lawlor become sick of his fruit platter being eaten day and in return he and several others would piss in it. Before quite disgustingly but also hilariously the other team would eat it. Their reactions on discovering what had happened was actually amazing with a lot of heaving unless you're Kyle Kingsbury who might have a thing for golden showers And just when we thought that was it in the same episode comes the splushi. Where poor Dave Kaplan who tbh I wasn't the biggest fan of just because he seemed to greatly overestimate himself ate a piece of sushi that he been ejaculated on by Kingsbury.

Dave's reaction tbh was quite rightly rage as I think anyone would be but surprisingly he didn't seem uber grossed out to have ate cum haha. Same time part of me does wonder if he ever did follow up on his threat to have his fecal matter come into contact with the other team. Which is words I never thought I'd type or even speculate about ha. So honestly if you are a fan of just insane moments and drama watch this season. Because it is filled with that if nothing else. If you want a season with more quality of fights then I'd definitely suggest another as that is what this season did lack. Regardless I'm glad I rewatched it.

Who I'd pick to win

Ryan Bader - Truthfully I've always been a fan of Ryan Bader and on this show I saw a ton of potential in him. He had power and great wrestling which very much brought him to the dance. Glad he's finally living up to his potential in Bellator.

Phillipe Nover - He may have fainted on day one. But Nover had some skills and nasty finishing ability. I was always sad to see his UFC run not go as well as I thought. He got robbed against Barao IMO.

Who impressed me/stood out too me

Junie Browning - Controversial I know but I saw potential here. As a lifelong boxer myself I really appreciate body work and Junie was very good at that. He had a lot of raw potential in my eye with his submissions and striking. Honestly if he took things seriously, dialled back the craziness and had a good gym behind him. He could have been a credible fighter.

George Roop - Not only was he tall for the weight but he was also tough as hell. Roop reminded me of someone who while perhaps skill wise might have been lacking. He had the heart and grit to rise to the occasion. His wins over Zombie and Bowles are insane.

Krzystof Sozynski - Honestly Krzystof looked like a beast on this season. Powerful striker and nasty submissions. I thought he'd have a big future ahead of him. Glad he's doing well now on movies because honestly his pranks were amazing and constantly entertained me.

Best Fight

Junie Browning vs Rolando Delgado - I appreciate scrappiness I always have and this was a scrappy fight. Rolando was expected to be blown away by Junie but he made a bout of this. Junie defo lacked conditioning which impacted him here but they had a battle an enjoyable battle which stood out to me.

George Roop vs John Polakowski - I think this fight stands out to me because Roop for his part had a fucked up hand which he fought his ass off despite. John meanwhile while a goofy individual was in this bout fought his ass off. They was due a third round but regardless it was a war.

Best Team

Team Nogueira - Nog said it best when he said team Mir was a group of individuals. Meanwhile Nogueira came off as one of the nicest men not just in MMA but ever as he become a proud father to his team. Which gave them a family element and brought them all together. There was absolutely no debate who the better team was here.

Who I didn't like

Shane Nelson - So I can kinda forgive Junie. Like he was a fucking idiot but you knew what you got with him. Shane meanwhile when drunk acted like an absolute hard man which only made him look like a bitch when Efrain tapped him.

Vinny Magalhaes - Vinny is a weird one because I constantly feel like he's potentially the best submission guy MMA has ever seen yet he constantly underperforms when the time comes. His fights on the show were uninspiring as he tried to be a kickboxer and yeah I'd say this was super frustrating. He's basically a less scrappy Andy Wang on this show in that instead of pulling guard. He has tentative kickboxing bouts for a while then gets a sub.

Jason Guida - I think one consistent thing with me is I don't like quitters. At the end of the day you got a chance to make a name for yourself with this show. While a journeyman for most of his career when you look at the experience of a lot of the guys he'd have had a chance to upset some people. Instead he pissed it away by not making weight. That frustrated me.

Heel Champion

Status

TUF 10: Team Jackson vs Team Evans

This season was fascinating to watch to say the least. For the first time since TUF 6 we didn't get fights to enter the house. Instead we had 15 Heavyweights all gathered for Dana's opening speech where he introduced the 16th man to the tournament Kimbo Slice. Now Kimbo was griven quite the harsh response early going by the other fighters with Brendan Schaub notably saying fuck that guy. At first on my first rewatch I thought this was down to them sharing Dana's attitude to Kimbo. Yet in truth as I've since learned most of the guys were shitting themselves thinking it was Fedor not Kimbo From here we'd get to the evaluations and it didn't take long for you to see again that Rampage Jackson just isn't a coach. His idea of evaluations was basically having guys batter one another in the ring and in the cage as opposed to Rashad Evans having them run drills. This is why during the team picks you could very much see Rashad had picked the overall better team.

Now over the course of the season you'd very much see a much different dynamic for Rampage as opposed to the last time he coached he had quite the entertaining dynamic with Forrest Griffin. Whereas this time around he and Rashad very much hated one another and had a series of escalating arguments with each other. I think Rashad said it best it'll start out with a harmless joke then one will say something and the other will respond and very soon they are face to face with one another and moments away from fighting then and there. This for me was definitely one of the most heated pairs of rivals we have seen as coaches for the season so far and honestly for me their banter absolutely made the show. Because you just had to keep watching knowing that sooner rather than later these two were going to kick off. This made up for a real lack of drama in the house as for most part there was no real drama this season as most of the guys were focused on the tournament.

That's not to say there wasn't some things going on in the house as the treatment of Zak Jensen wasn't great. However I will say while he may have took part in this I did often find myself entertained by the antics of Wes Sims. A crazy character Wes' highlight for me was him attempting to scale a white wall in a black ninja gi in an effort to sneak up on Matt Mitrione. The standout individuals in the house for me this season were Roy Nelson, James McSweeney, Brendan Schaub, Justin Wren, Kimbo Slice, Matt Mitrione and Marcus Jones. Wren while perhaps not a standout personality when compared to the others mentioned very much was a pleasant surprise with the way he ran through Wes Sims. He'd then follow up with a great performance against eventual winner Roy Nelson which was marred by poor judging which robbed him of a 3rd round in a back and forth bout. Speaking of the eventual winner Roy very much was another fighter who didn't belong on the show. A talented veteran who had fought top competition and competed in big organisations before. Nelson was always the heavy favorite to win this show but he wasn't overly impressive in how he did so for most part as he defo played it safe with his experience at points to eek out wins. His attitude also rubbed Dana White the wrong way and set up a rivalry between the two which spanned years.

McSweeney didn't have the best showing either. While a top recruit for team Rashad, McSweeney was in my mind competing in the wrong weight class and definitely didn't come off well with his treatment of Zak. His training partner Brendan Schaub fared a lot better as one of the more entertaining personalities in the house. A quick witted individual who got along with everyone. Brendan's fights on the show all ended spectaculary and he was a highly entertaining individual to follow. In fact I'd wager that of Roy Nelson wasn't apart of this season, it would be Brendan Schaub who would have won this season. The black hat was worn this season by Matt Mitrione for his mind games which turned the entire house against him. Shown to be quite a raw athlete with a lot of power, while Mitrione did bring a lot of things on himself. I very much disagreed with Marcus Jones aggresively confronting him over the injury which jeopardized Scott Junk's career. Apart from that moment Jones for most part seemed like a nice guy until he stepped in the cage and it sucked to see him put down the way he was by Schaub.

I've waited until now to truly talk about Kimbo Slice and there is a reason for this. Out of everyone Kimbo Slice was my main reason for watching this show and he was also my pleasant surprise. Before this I'd only seen Kimbo Slice the street fighter and the Kimbo that EliteXC had tried to build itself round only to fall on it's face spectacularly. I'd argue that while before this season I was familiar with Kimbo Slice. It was this season that introduced us to Kevin Ferguson. Totally exceeding expectations. Kimbo didn't come here looking to put the fear of god in people. Instead he was shown to be a humble individual who was quite the deep thinker and spiritual individual. His talk about the inner me being the enemy was a great piece of wisdom from a surprising source. I really found myself rooting for Kimbo as this show went on and while he may have lost his opening round to Roy Nelson. It wasn't a super embarrassing defeat and he was shown to constantly be learning and trying to improve afterwards. It's just a shame with his bad knees he'd be forced to turn down a second fight. Probably for the best though as McSweeney would have leg kicked the shit out of him. While fight wise I'd say this season was lacking in some quality. It was entertaining regardless thanks to Rampage and Rashad. While also equally fascinating thanks to the inclusion of Kimbo. RIP Kimbo Slice.

Roy Nelson - I've said this before about Mac Danzig and one or two others and I'm going to say it again here. Roy Nelson with his credentials and record shouldn't have been on the show. He was worthy of being in the UFC already and it was his experience that played a factor in this fight. As he used his veteran tactics and technique to pick up wins throughout the season before knocking out Brendan Schaub. His win was defo not a surprise in my books as he was the most skilled and most experienced man on the show.

Who impressed me/stood out to me

Brendan Schaub - I'm sure this might be a punchline to some now but Brendan was without a doubt the second best fighter on this show. A big, athletic heavyweight with good submissions and powerful striking. Had Roy Nelson not been apart of this season. I will say that Brendan would definitely have been the winner in my eyes.

Matt Mitrione - There was a lot of drama and confusion about him at times but Matt Mitrione had a lot of raw potential on this show. An athletic heavyweight who was a real hard hitter. I actually was quite impressed with Mitrione in his defeat to McSweeney as I feel that had James not got that takedown he was gonna get knocked out by Meathead.

Wes Shivers - Dunno what it was but he impressed me against the much more experienced McSweeney. A former football player turned MMA fighter. Wes had a lot of size and power on his size in this season. It was just unfortunate that he was robbed of a third round in that bout with McSweeney.

Kimbo Slice - Might be a surprising entry but I really liked what I saw of Kimbo Slice on this season. He genuinely seemed like a great guy who was surprisingly in contrast to his years of street fighting quite the deep thinking individual. Very philosophical and eager to learn. It's a shame that Kimbo didn't get that second fight but as someone with major knee issues myself. I get why he didn't go for it.

Justin Wren - Probably the surprise of the season was how good Justin Wren looked. Not the biggest of the heavyweights by any means. Justin absolutely blew threw Wes Sims before in my opinion got robbed of a third round in his bout with Roy Nelson. A talented heavyweight I honestly think the UFC missed the boat by cutting him after the finale. He had a lot of upside.

Marcus Jones - It wasn't pretty but fuck it was effective. When Marcus fought it was quickly apparent he would get you down and batter you. A big imposing individual what truly let Marcus down was his chin and striking defense as we saw by his knockouts to Brendan and Mitrione. Regardless the man known as Big Baby in the house was a dangerous individual if you let him take you down.

Best Fight

Brendan Schaub vs Marcus Jones - When it came to his fights you knew what Marcus Jones was looking to do. Get his opponents down and work them over. This fight very much was one which would show what he had to offer for real. Because against Brendan Schaub he had a scrappy opponent who wouldn't allow him to bully him. An impressive showing for both guys ending with a brutal KO. Can't ask for much more.

Roy Nelson vs Justin Wren - Now this was a fight which should have gotten a third round. Back and forth with a great showing from Justin Wren who rose to the occasion here against his more experienced and skilled foe. They battle it out on the feet and the first two rounds were definitely split in my books. Just a shame the judges didn't see it the same way.

Best Team

Team Evans - When it comes to the season's he has had to coach. There is one recurring issue and that is Rampage isn't a coach. He's entertaining as hell and a good guy but he is definitely one of the worst coaches in the show's history. Whereas Rashad here was fantastic as a coach for his team which was only made further notable by how bad Rampage was.

Who I wasn't a fan of

Jon Madsen - It wasn't even so much him as a person it's just with Jon Madsen you knew what you was gonna get. A boring wrestling match. Plus he did fake a glove touch in that fight with Abe.

Mike Wessel - This is more down to the stories that have come out about him since the show which he has confirmed. Including his highly racist rant in the house which nearly got him beaten up by Kimbo and others. Just didn't sit well with me.

Zak Jensen - OK so there is no doubt Zak got a lot of shit in the house from practically everyone. But by the sounds of his he did bring a lot of it on himself in the early going by talking himself up and not delivering. He needed to stand up for himself more and stop allowing himself to be made a mug of.

James McSweeney - Rashad's top pick didn't come off well at all in this season. Mainly for how he treated Zak. While Zak definitely should have stood up for himself you could tell that James was probably the worst of the group with how he treated him. Locking him in that bathroom very much was the peak of James' bully. Just not a good look for someone who was probably one of the better fighters in the house.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

I definitely think you're on the money here. Rashad/Rampage chemistry was what made this season.

I also thought Kimbo was a cool dude. Feels strange knowing that Schaub would end up becoming podcast best friends with Joe Rogan when you seem him here.

Roy Nelson getting a run in here is bullshit though, you're completely right. Dana getting shitty over it was weird though, since he's the moron who put him in the house to begin with.

Heel Champion

Status

I definitely think you're on the money here. Rashad/Rampage chemistry was what made this season.

I also thought Kimbo was a cool dude. Feels strange knowing that Schaub would end up becoming podcast best friends with Joe Rogan when you seem him here.

Roy Nelson getting a run in here is bullshit though, you're completely right. Dana getting shitty over it was weird though, since he's the moron who put him in the house to begin with.
    Yeah honestly mate, if any other coaches were in charge of this season. I don't think it would have worked as well. Those two together literally were dynamite and it was great to watch. Agreed with you on Schaub. It's amazing to see how far he has come. Like honestly I know a lot of people don't like him for whatever reason. But I do like Schaub. I won't say he was an amazing fighter but for a time he looked like a good heavyweight prospect. More than anything it's just nice seeing fighters getting more opportunities following their time in the cage. I think the issue Dana had with Roy was due to his attitude which to be fair is just his personality anyway which they should have been aware of. Nelson even says it when he returns as a coach that on the show. Prioritise winning over performance. So I can kinda see both sides of the fence in that Roy knowing he had to win 3 fights in a close time period wanted to play it safe but in the same regard it bothered Dana how he was talking like he'd blown these guys away. I will say it's fascinating how seasons like 10 and 6 with Roy and Danzig really shaped my perspective for choices on who would win these tournaments back in the day. Because literally I would begin backing guys with the big match experience who arguably shouldn't be on the show. Sadly it meant I could be quite badly wrong as we'll see with some of my upcoming season reviews.

Heel Champion

Status

Shade Reviews the Ultimate Fighter

TUF The Comeback

A stark contrast to the seasons that were on before it. The ultimate fighter season 4 didn't feature a cast of fighters who were battling to earn a 6 figure contract with the UFC and a chance to make a name for themselves. Instead this season brought back 16 veterans all of whom had fought in the UFC against top competition and for one reason or another didn't acheive the success you felt they could have. Now they would be brought back to show they not only could they still compete with the UFC but also to earn themselves a title shot against the 170 pound and 185 pound champions respectively. Truthfully this is actually an idea I have long wanted to see the UFC replicate. Now I know it might not be ideal under some circumstances to give someone who has washed out the chance to earn a title shot. But I think we can all think of at least one or two guys we'd like to see get another crack in the UFC and for that reason if they did another TUF I'd want a real comeback season.

Also making this season different was the fact that we didn't have coaches per say but more trainers for the teams to work with. Some guys brought in to coach the teams came off very well with GSP, Randy Couture and Chuck Liddell all shown to be big hits with both teams. Chuck in particular may very well be the best coach the Ultimate Fighter has ever had as even here as a later addition to the ranks he really stood out. Along with them Marc DellaGrotte also stood out not just as a good coach but quite a fun personality with some of his banter with the teams. However there were others who didn't fair as well and honestly it sucks to say but this is the one time in my eyes Rich Franklin didn't look that great. I dunno if it was the editing or what but Rich's addition was just awkward especially knowing not only did he have to fight the winner of the Middleweight side but also with the horrific staph outbreak that he couldn't really do anything. Plus his drop to a knee idea for Matt Serra was a little questionable even though we now see Jon Jones has basically took some notes

Again Matt Hughes came off a little bit of a bell end. Not really for how he was with the guys as for most part he was more down to earth and laid back here. But just in his interactions with GSP. Matt just come off as a bit of a twerp. Don't think I'll ever truly like him at all. But the worst of all hands down was Marc Laimon. He just come off as a smug, entitled, opinionated miserable dick head and it was great seeing Matt Serra put him in his place as the season went on. In the words of Din Thomas, Matt Serra made him look like a bitch. Speaking of the fighters I'd be a fool right away not to mention the Shonie Show. Of all the characters who stood out none did more so than the brilliance of Shonie Carter. The most experienced individual by far who was absolutely made for this show. Shonie was always doing something to stand out be it his very skimpy ring attires and training gear to his antics at the house with his art projects and his building of a raft. I really enjoyed seeing Shonie on this show and I've always wondered why he didn't get a spot on the finale as he was such a stand out character who in the words of Chris Lytle would find a way to rise to the occasion.

Another standout personality was definitely Mikey Burnett. A wild man from the early days of the UFC. Mikey is kinda a sad story here as he confessed his bad troubles with addiction in the run up to the show and then suffered what was a career ending injury in the house. It's a shame the UFC never covered his injuries at the same time it's hard to convince people you got hurt in the fight when an episode or so later we see you repeatedly trying to run through a fucking wall while a sad story in hindsight. I really liked Mikey. Matt Serra stood out as well as to be expected. A loud character by all means I would say that it was Matt's leadership that really brought the grey team together when compared to the Blue team. In fact this season was dominated by the Grey Team and it's kinda shocking in hindsight when you look back and see guys like Rich Clementi and Jorge Rivera out in the first round. But same time the blue team did seem to lack that solidarity and leadership which the grey team had.

One person on the Blue team however did excel and he was definitely the best guy brought back at his weight. This of course was Travis Lutter. While as a personality we didn't get to see much from Lutter. When it came time to his fights against Scott Smith and Pete Sell. Lutter pretty much dominated his way to the finals and while I am a big fan of Patrick Cote. You could just see from the off that Cote would be no different to the others when he fought Travis. I think what made this season refreshing was that everyone was talented and a good fighter. While we did see some bad stylistic matches like Serra/Spratt and Lutter/Smith. The fights were mostly even for most part as everyone was a tough fighter and the drama was dialed down to a minimum as for most part everyone was professional. But there was a few things to note. Firstly was the hate directed to Shonie by the blue team. Now for their part I could see how Shonie's pranks to some might be annoying. But as a viewer I found him to be entertaining. I also feel as Matt Serra said a lot of it was down to Shonie upsetting Rich Clementi in their fight.

Along with this two more negative standouts in my book would be Charles McCarthy and Jeremy Jackson. Now Charles very much just come off as an arrogant, miserable dick. If he wasn't talking about how he was smarter than people and stuff like that. Then he was just moping around and it made the pranks played on him all the more entertaining as he'd just fuck off outside while the guys laughed. Jeremy however was an idiot. Like the guy has had a rough life by the sound of it in the run up to this but you know the rules. You aren't allowed to leave the house and he did in order to hook up with a lifeguard. It was pathetic and for someone who needed it as much as he did. It was a dumb decision and it got him kicked off the show. So honestly yeah I like this season. It's entertaining, has some fun fights and a decent roster of fighters. Defo a good one to look back on.

Who I'd pick to win

Din Thomas - A well rounded fighter. Din I still feel like made a mistake when it came to the semi finals by asking for Chris Lytle. Chris in my book was the toughest fight for Din of the three guys left but he felt he needed to prove something. In the end this backfired and he got beaten.

Travis Lutter - Honestly. There was no one in the middleweight class who was beating Travis. His ground game was lethal and he had some power in his hands. Just a shame he fucked it all up when he missed weight against Anderson.

Who Impressed me/stood out to me

Shonie Carter - Shonie was a great character and I think it's kinda hard sometimes as usually the big characters aren't the best fighters. Now while Shonie seemed to be in a lot of people's eyes the easiest fight. As Chris said he always rose to the occasion which we saw against Rich and we also saw by the performance he put in against Serra. Shame he never got to fight on the finale.

Best Fight

Matt Serra vs Shonie Carter II - This was a fun fight and a rematch of their iconic first bout. I think a lot of people underestimate Shonie but this fight showed he had a lot of skill as he took it too Serra at points. I know with their trajectories it might not have worked out. But I'd have loved this trilogy.

Best Team

Team Mojo - You couldn't even class the Blue side as a team really. They got wiped out and seemed to lose interest with Travis being the only one training. On the other hand this was an early glimpse to the brilliance of Matt Serra as a coach.

Who I wasn't a fan of

Jeremy Jackson - Let's be honest he was an idiot on this show and a bigger one in real life. As now I believe he has a life sentence for multiple rapes. Some people can't be helped.

Charles McCarthy - He was just a miserable bastard. There wasn't anything likeable about Charles or that impressive either.

Marc Laimon - Biggest douche on the season by miles. The way he'd disrespect fighters rubbed a lot of people wrong and rightly so. As Matt Serra said he's an expert swimmer that couldn't even swim. Glad he got put in his place.

Heel Champion

Status

Team Couture vs Team Liddell

Where it all began and I know it has been a while but I did deliberately hold off on season 1 for a reason. As I had previously rewatched it randomly the year before so I wanted to give it some time so that things felt fresh. First off I have to say how bizzare it is seeing such a professional spoken Dana White wearing a suit. The Dana I'm used to on the Ultimate Fighter is casually dressed relatively easy going. It's also weird to go back and see not for the first few episodes no fights at all only challenges not too mention the fact that we have a host by the name of Willa Ford. Basically it's the first season and they was experimenting with a bunch of concepts to see which would and which wouldn't work. Personally I'm glad they dropped the weekly challenges in place of a one off coaches challenge which I always enjoy seeing. It's amazing looking back as well as the sheer talent brought in for this season with names like Forrest Griffin, Diego Sanchez, Kenny Florian and Josh Koscheck all taking apart. But it's equally shocking to see that over half of the roster of fighters are fighting at the wrong weight clases. Like most of the middleweights are blown up welterweights and lightweights

Elimininating two people early on through challenges might seem harsh but honestly. I do not personally feel that we missed out on anything particularly by not seeing Jason Thacker or Chris Sanford fight. Thacker really shouldn't have been on this show let's be honest. I don't know if they put the guy on hear just to make him struggle so we could see how hard it was. But the guy was way out of his depth and it showed. I read an article recently about how this show negatively impacted his life and it sucks to hear that he's really struggled based on this. Sanford meanwhile to me looked to be badly out of shape and out of condition. We got enough of these troubles with Bobby Southworth so I doubt we needed to see more from Chris. Still both guys got shots on the finale and both got finished quickly proving my point. I will say these challenges very much highlighted a story for this season which is despite both Chuck and Randy being great coaches that Randy's team was over matched against Chucks. The Blue team dominated this season winning a lot of the fights and challenges throughout.

With so much talent on this show it's sad in a way to look back and go we missed out on something. That something of course was seeing just what would have happened if Nate Quarry didn't get injured. Hurt in a freak training accident Nate proved himself to be a great guy as he supported his team despite his injury and went above and beyond to help his team mate and friend Chris Leben. I really rooted for Nate and it sucked to see him get eliminated without having a single fight. This season had a lot of standout fighters and personalities on it as you can tell. None stood out more so however than Chris Leben. He was a loud trash talker who constantly got loaded in the house but then proceeded to bring it in training. People either loved or hated Chris and while he could be quite obnoxious I personally found myself to be rooting for Chris Leben in the tournament especially when things turned ugly in that incident with Josh and Bobby. Personally I wasn't a fan of either Josh or Bobby's on this show. Josh was a one dimensional wrestler at the time but he proved quickly to be quite the instigator. Bobby meanwhile despite being one of the more experienced and older guys had a horrific attitude and had his heart rightly questioned for the ways he would act at points.

Another standout would be eventual winner Diego Sanchez. In stark contrast from the party animal that was Chris Leben. Diego was all business and constantly shown to be excercising and performing yoga as he sought to be prepared for the season ahead. This was apart from one notable moment where Diego on a night out drank so much he had to be carried to his bed haha. As I mentioned before it was crazy to see so many guys fighting above their normal weight classes. I mean Kenny and Diego for example have fought as light as 145 pounds yet here they were trying to gain weight to fight at Middleweight and that's not even mentioning Mike Swick who to my mind had best success at Welterweight stepping in there with Stephan Bonnar for a fight and getting the better of him in the early going. This was a talent rich season without a doubt but it is hard to overlook in my mind how many genuine Light Heavyweights and Middleweights there actually was. One who wasn't in question was eventual winner Forrest Griffin who was probably one of the most consistently entertaining individuals in the house.

Overall this is a great season in truth filled with great talent and it's hard for me to say much more than everyone reading these reviews will already know. There are plenty of strong performances in fights from the likes of Diego and Forrest plus a brutal early KO picked up by Bobby. Not too mention entertaining battles between the likes of Josh and Diego as well as Leben and Florian. Plus you have a lot of antics going on in the house from the likes of Leben, Diego, Koscheck and Southworth. A must watch season in my books for any fan of the UFC and the series itself.

Nate Quarry - The big question I always have with this season is what would have happened had Nate Quarry not been injured? Honestly I think Nate had a shot at winning the entire tournament. He'd been training his whole life at defending takedowns from the likes of Couture, Lindland and Sonnen. Not too mention he had some nasty power. In my mind I think he could have probably beat Diego.

Forrest Griffin - He was one of the bigger guys in the weight and definitely one of the more skilled ones as well. Griffin for me was the standout in his weight apart from Stephan Bonnar. Plus I just had to root for the guy with how goofy he was.

Who stood out/Impressed me

Chris Leben - Could he be a dick at times? yeah but honestly I can't look back at Chris Leben without raising a glass to just a warrior. A heavy handed guy who went in there to put your lights out. On this show he definitely had some troubles but my heart did break for him seeing him lose two fights in a row. I do think it's a shame the UFC never gave us Leben vs Koscheck and Leben vs Swick 2. Fuck I'd have even been curious to see Leben vs Diego.

Mike Swick/Kenny Florian - Swick and Kenny Florian for that matter both have a lot of respect from me because they were so undersized for their respective weight classes. I think honestly while it'd have changed so much I'd have been curious to see Swick compete at 185 and Kenny instead participate on season 2. For their part neither let the size bring them down as Kenny fought his ass off against Chris Leben and Swick despite losing to Stephan also fought his heart out. That's all we really ask for. Shame we never got Swick/Leben 2

Alex Schonauer - I think we all knew and Alex knew that he was in a tough position against Forrest Griffin. Forrest was one of the best Light Heavyweights brought in for the season but Alex came out with an amazing strategy you don't see a lot of. Rather than be nervous and fight not to lose. Alex went out there and just said if I'm going down I'm going down swinging. Can't say much more than he majorly has my respect for that performance.

Best Fight

Forrest Griffin vs Stephan Bonnar - Cheating I know but this fight had to be mentioned. The fight which basically made the UFC. Forrest and Stephan was an absolute battle and to this day it is amazing to look back on. All respect to both guys and I'm happy they each had long careers following this.

Diego Sanchez vs Josh Koscheck - This was a surprisingly entertaining war. Didn't expect Koscheck to look as good against Diego as he did. I know there was some debate about who really won this fight but honestly I had it 2 to 1 for Diego. Fun fight and a worthy winner.

Best Team

Team Liddell - I've said it before and I'll say it again here for my money Chuck Liddell is probably the best coach the Ultimate Fighter has had. The success of everyone he has coached on the show says it all through the tournament. Randy for his part seemed like a great coach but let's be honest Team Liddell dominated this competition.

Who I wasn't a fan of

Bobby Southworth - I think out of everyone on the show. Bobby was the person I disliked the most. One of the more experienced and older guys Bobby seemed to have a bad attitude from the early going which was only made worse by his treatment of Leben during their incident. I for one was very happy when Bonnar eliminated him from the tournament.

Josh Koscheck - God Josh was a dick on this show. He basically set the tone for what would be the case his entire career. Very much a one dimensional wrestler at the start of the show. To his credit Josh did show some improvements during his fight with Diego. But the Leben incident really didn't put him in the best light.

Sam Hoger - I think this was something that I noticed more on the second viewing but Hoger was a bit of an elitist. The way he'd talk about himself and about situations. He constantly dropped big words in to avoid admitting the truth. Honestly even if he was on Team Couture, I still personally think he was a thief to the teams. Again though have to give credit that he fought well against Forrest.

Josh Rafferty - Honestly I don't think Josh was that bad of a guy. I just think he didn't embrace the situation as well as he should have. He just came off a tad of a drip and his unhappiness at being apart of Team Couture was more just a case of him being unwilling to try to fit in. Respect though for him trying to take out Diego. It was a horrific fight for him but he asked for it.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Josh Koscheck is a dick, but for some reason he's never really rubbed me the wrong way. I've always kind of thought he's okay, can sometimes be funny, sometime misses the mark completely, but I hate other fighters more. Like Fabriciou Werdum, fuck that guy.

Yes, it's cheating but you couldn't not mention Bonnar/Griffin. I actually watched this back not to long ago, and it's crazy how they both lasted so long. They were both gassed from half way through the first round due to the nature of the night. I do think Bonnar had the better of more exchanges and won the fight though.

Finally, happy to see you show some love to K-Flo. Outside of Brock Lesnar with the obvious wrestling/UFC crossover, F-Flo may have been my first favorite fighter.

Heel Champion

Status

Josh Koscheck is a dick, but for some reason he's never really rubbed me the wrong way. I've always kind of thought he's okay, can sometimes be funny, sometime misses the mark completely, but I hate other fighters more. Like Fabriciou Werdum, fuck that guy.

Yes, it's cheating but you couldn't not mention Bonnar/Griffin. I actually watched this back not to long ago, and it's crazy how they both lasted so long. They were both gassed from half way through the first round due to the nature of the night. I do think Bonnar had the better of more exchanges and won the fight though.

Finally, happy to see you show some love to K-Flo. Outside of Brock Lesnar with the obvious wrestling/UFC crossover, F-Flo may have been my first favorite fighter.
    I would say that with Josh he himself said it best that he is an instigator. Like if you look back Bobby was the real cause of the issues with Leben and the one who broke him. Josh was the one in the background who said let's turn a hose on him afterwards. So I will say like while the guy definitely is a dick. I've never been fully against him although to this day I want to know what he said to Paul Daley before he stood up at UFC 113 Honestly that fight is absurd and both guys will forever have my respect. I do actually see where you are coming from about Bonnar but in hindsight when you look at their career trajectories it was for the best that Forrest won. I will say though it's crazy how the first 3 finales had one absolutely amazing final with Griffin/Bonnar, Herman/Grove and Stevenson/Cummo along with one blowout fight Sanchez/Florian, Evans/Imes and Bisping/Haynes. Then the comeback ruined it with Serra and Lytle choosing to spent the fight against the cage.

Oh dude have to respect Kenny. Like honestly I feel like he is one of the more under appreciated fighters the UFC has had. Yet on his resume he has wins over Huerta, Gomi, Stevenson and Guida. I also feel that had he been given more time he'd have beaten Sean Sherk for the title but they put him in too soon with that powerful of a wrestler. Still he was always entertaining and had some nasty elbows as we saw with Leben. Shame he had to retire as soon as he did but he did so after competing for a title so I raise my glass to him for sure.

Heel Champion

Status

Team Cruz vs Team Faber

The series goes live! In what was an experimental season for the Ultimate Fighter this season would forego the taped format and instead was filmed over the course of 13 weeks with the action shown during each episode from it's respective episode. Now I have to be honest with you when I began to go on this look back on the Ultimate Fighter for one reason or another this season really didn't stand out to me in the run up. I remembered Mike Chiesa winning it but honestly apart from that nothing really stood out to memory and I got to say I think part of it was down to the live format while also I'd be honest and say that this season definitely was one of the more tamer seasons drama wise especially when you consider that the season before involved some absolutely absurd pranks while the season after would be non stop drama at points. Thankfully one thing I did enjoy was the Cruz and Faber beef. Their rivalry is a classic and honestly I have to say over the past year I've really developed an appreciation for Cruz when it comes to his trash talking abilities. He is straight savage.

I will say that I don't actually believe that the live format works for the Ultimate Fighter which I think they cottoned onto as well as they've never done it again. You could see as well there was quite a lot of awkward pauses at points due to the nature of Live TV not too mention a major issue due a commercial break during one of the fights which meant both fighters had to wait around for 2 to 3 minutes between rounds in order to return to action. The opening round to get into the house was oddly switched to a one round fight and while this had some fighters fighting with more urgency there were times in hindsight where I began to wonder just what would have happened in some bouts had it have been the basic 2 round qualification fight. Still we had some good performances and fun finishes in the opening round with the likes of Cristiano Marcello, Joe Proctor, Sam Sicilia, Chris Tickle and Justin Lawrence standing out to me thanks to their finishes while Al IaQuinta looked equally impressive in his fight with Jon Tuck.

One story that I personally found myself compelled to follow was that of Mike Chiesa. Now honestly I'm going to say even on the rewatch at the time there was several dudes I'd have put above him just from first impressions. In fact I'd honestly say over the course of the season you saw Chiesa improve and get better as he went from just out wrestling guys to putting away both James Vick and Justin Lawrence with ground and pound. What really stood out though was the sad news that Chiesa's father passed away while he was on the show and I will forever respect Chiesa for simply carrying on in that tournament despite this. In such a horrible time in his life he was able to put it together and honor his father's wishes by continuing in the tournament before eventually winning it. Say what you will about Chiesa but you just couldn't help but have your heart go out to him here and you definitely couldn't help but cheer him on.

Another person who impressed me over the course of the tournament was Chiesa's fellow finalist and team mate Al Iaquinta. The Serra fighter actually upset a guy I had a lot of hopes for in this tournament and that of course was the returning Myles Jury in an absolute banger of a fight. From here Al continued to progress through the tournament before making it to the finals with wins over Vinc Pichel and a brutal KO of Andy Ogle. Honestly that Ogle KO was up to this season one of the nastiest knockouts I've seen. Probably not Riddle/Simmler bad but still up there when looked back on. In fact this made for quite the final actually as it was a pure striker vs grappler bout with Chiesa shown to take people down and work them over while Al was the total opposite preffering to fight things out on the feet. Of course as we know eventually the grappler would win. While I stand by that this wasn't the most eventful season it was a lot more entertaining fight wise than I originally remembered. Plus it had an amazing Coaches' challenge in which the pair got to fire a variety of armed weapons at targets. Not a terrible season by any means as like I said it has some entertaining bouts. But it's far from the standout season.

James Krause - It's crazy looking back with the success he has had in the UFC that Krause didn't make it onto the show. As honestly when the season was announced he was my top pick to win. Sadly he'd wind up getting hurt and then knocked out badly in his bout with Justin Lawrence.

Cristiano Marcello - Went with experience here and pedigree. By rights Cristiano Marcello should have been a major threat in this house thanks to his ground game. Yet annoying he is another Jorge Gurgel/Andy Wang who forgoes what brought him to the dance and tries to brawl. This would end up with him being sparked by Justin Lawrence.

Dakota Cochrane - Sods law right I had hopes for 2 guys who didn't even make it into the house. But I to this day feel the UFC has missed the boat on a talented Lightweight in Dakota Cochrane. I felt this way since watching him upset Jamie Varner when they fought. He's a tough gritty wrestler and I'd argue that he should have won that fight with James Vick to get in the house.

Who Stood Out to me

Joe Proctor - You could definitely see the Joe Lauzon connection with Proctor. A tough, scrappy guy with power in his hands and good submissions. A consistently entertaining fighter and honestly you can't ask more than for someone who looks to finish.

Justin Lawrence - He was the youngest guy in the house and he had a great pedigree. I liked Justin Lawrence a lot and expected big things from him. While he's tenure in the UFC wasn't much. He's done well in Bellator and still has time on his side.

Best Fight

Myles Jury vs Al IaQuinta - This was an absolute war between two of the top guys in the house and it was in the early stages of the tournament. Both men left it all in the octagon and while in the run up I expected a Jury win. I remember this was the fight that made me a fan of Ragin Al.

Best Team

Team Faber - Neither guy was a bad coach by any means. I just felt that Team Faber really lacked like dissension in the ranks which we'd see at odd points with Cruz's team be it from Tickle and his antics or Lawrence and his cockiness. Plus I can't pick Cruz due to his coaching staff.

Who I wasn't a fan of

Chris Tickle - Honestly he just came off as a bit of a douche. A bit of a whiner and a complainer who seemed to clash frequently with Cruz as he was being an idiot. Shame is he did seem to have some talent.

Lloyd Irvin - If you've heard the stories you'll know why I've put Lloyd Irvin here. I know Cruz trains out of Alliance which further baffled me as to why he had Irvin here. Thankfully he wasn't appearing as frequent as the show went on.

Heel Champion

Status

Team Carwin vs Team Nelson

Yikes is the first thing that comes to mind with this season. Hands down one of the worst seasons of the Ultimate Fighter that I've seen I've got to be honest this season was quite the slog to get through at times. I will say though whats frustrating for me is that in my head I already found one way that the show could have been better. With better match making in the opening round you had guys like Max Griffin, Saad Awad, Frank Camacho and Cortez Coleman all of whom while not great fighters usually put on a show could have potentially advanced in place of some of the other guys. Instead unfortunately we had a lot of guys fighting not to lose if not even fighting at all through the tournament which was testament to the speech given by Roy Nelson in which he said basically put victories over performance which as you can imagine didn't sit well with Dana White who remembers Nelson's style of fighting during the 10th season.

This would be a haunting proclamation throughout the season not only in regards to what we could expect from Roy Nelson but also from the fighters themselves because across the whole season. We only got 2 finishes and the smallest margin of decent fights throughout. Honestly on this season it was basically a case of a lot of fights blending together with no one really standing out. Whereas in the house honestly there was a lot of bullshit going on but it wore it's welcome very quickly. As these guys not only were just looking to be on TV but they were not even performing with this energy in the cage. Julian Lane for example was an absolute headcase and it was embarrassing. His fights were just uninspiring and in the house he'd fly off the handle very quickly showing the self control of a petulant child. It was honestly annoying and ridiculous and he deserves the shame of all those let me bang bro jokes.

The overall winner of this season as well would show how bad it was as Colton Smith was basically a lesser version of Jon Fitch. A tough guy yes but with that lay and pray style of take you down and keep you down. Honestly though the only thing that really stood out with him was the fact that he faked a glove touch in the first episode and really didn't come off well because of it. I hate people who do that, it's one of the worst acts you could do as a fighter. I would be remiss to say there was a couple of guys I did see some potential in. Finalist Mike Ricci showed himself to have some potential despite his less than impressive UFC run. Neil Magny showed a lot of potential on the show as he was able to beat in my mind two of the more skilled guys in the house Jujitsu specialist Cameron Diffley and veteran Bristol Marunde. Two guys who stood out to me in defeat were both Eddy Ellis and Nic Herron Webb. While the fights on this season were uninspiring both guys stood out in their fights for trying to make things happen and trying to put their opponents away.

Sadly another common denominator on this season was the judging. There was horrific judging throughout the show with Eddy Ellis and Nic Herron Webb both being ruled losers despite doing major damage to their opponents in a round of the two round fight. This is why I said Eddy Ellis definitely deserved to be brought back for the finale and had he have fought someone. I'd have given him Nic who definitely should have got a 3rd round as had he have done so, I feel he'd have put Igor Araujo away. Special mention must go to the two finishes on this show the first I'll mention was a nasty standing elbow by Mike Ricci on Neil Magny which was probably just as bad if not worse than the IaQuinta one on Ogle the season previous. The second was a fun one round fight between James Chaney and Jon Manley. Manley wasn't the most exciting fighter but the wild Chaney made this interesting in what was an aggressive grappling match marred by controversy when Chaney bit him. James for his part admitted it like a man to Dana and while yeah it wasn't a good move on his part to bite his opponent. At least he admitted it and knew he had done wrong.

In this final part of my review I need to talk the elephant of the room. The coaching as on one side you had Shane Carwin. Now Carwin is someone you can easily misjudge as just a meathead but instead he's a quiet and well spoken individual. Shown to train with a great team, Shane Carwin was giving to his fighters and a great source of wisdom to them in defeat. Definitely in my books a pleasant surprise as a coach. Whereas Roy Nelson was unfortunately a major disappointment. There's no other way to say it he may very well be the worst coach the show has ever had and that's saying something when you look at the likes of Rampage Jackson and Ken Shamrock. Roy honestly didn't come off well this season be it from the stupid shit he was saying about fighters not making weight to blaming his fighters for their losses when he hardly trained them. This definitely wasn't a good look for him in the slightest in what was a very underwhelming season.

Bristol Marunde - Again I'd have gone with experience this time in the case of IFL and Strikeforce Veteran Bristol Marunde. While a journeyman for most part I had him pegged as someone crafty enough to pull out wins.

Who Impressed me

Neil Magny - Neil was a work in progress on this show and while I didn't expect him based on his appearances here to have the success he'd later have he did. He is someone I respect though for constantly making improvements and to this day for fighting as actively as he does. Big respects.

Eddy Ellis - It bothers me actually to this day Eddy Ellis didn't get a fight on the finale. He had a great showing on the show in both of his fights and was robbed of a third round. Truthfully the way I'd have done it is have him fight another guy who was robbed Nic Herron Webb at the finale. Both guys deserved that shot at redemption.

Best Fight

Colton Smith vs Eddie Ellis - In a show filled with poor fights this was quite the battle. Colton is one dimensional for sure but he took his lumps here against Eddy Ellis and kept going. Should have had a third round.

Best Team

Team Carwin - No dispute at all. Shane was there for his fighters and he wanted them to do well. He gave his all as a coach in stark comparison to what we saw from Roy Nelson.

Who I wasn't a fan of

Roy Nelson - Probably the worst coach I've seen so far and that's saying something considering he had the winner. Roy had no business in coaching this with the way he went about things. Going about doing his own thing and basically not even employing a strategy to match make his team. He failed majorly as a coach.

Colton Smith - If you fake a glove touch you are an asshole. It's that plain and simple. Some things just don't sit well with me and that is definitely one of them. Not a good look at all for a one dimensional fighter.

Julian Lane - Absolute nutcase. I didn't see any think really special about Julian and his house antics were embarrassing TBH. He should have been kicked off the show in my honest opinion.

Michael Hill - Just found him a bit annoying really. He talked a good game at points but honestly that was all he did. His fight with Secor was horrible and how they scored him winning that I don't know.

Heel Champion

Status

Shade reviews The Ultimate Fighter

TUF Smashes

An unexpected addition to the reviews as thanks to Fight Pass I was able to watch this one. Would love to be able to do TUF Nations as well but have not had much luck finding that one on there just yet. Still I'm gonna push forward with this recap of the smashes and hope one day I'll get to see TUF Nations as well. Because there's a couple of things from that show I have some opinions about to say the least. Anyway this season would go back to the country vs country format which TBH didn't really go down that well on TUF 9. As again straight from the bat it was the Brits who made the show really. Like this isn't country bias at all but TUF 9 Team America was one of the weakest teams of the early seasons and Team Australia here while having some decent talent. Really was the less interesting team of personalities to follow. This was further added to the fact that their coach George Sotiropoulos became more unbearable as the season went on with his snide remarks to losing fighters on the other team as well as his general lack of a personality or sense of humor.

It also has to be noted that this show was marred with injuries and baggage as in the first episode Michael Pastou who I felt has a good shot at being a finalist would be eliminated due to a bicep injury and was replaced by 21 year old Brendan Loughnane. Sadly along with him Mike Wilkinson would suffer a bad eye injury eliminating him from the tournament after he'd made it to the semi finals and we'd also see Manny Rodriguez lose his place in the semi finals thanks to a broken leg he'd suffered early in his fight with Bola Omoyele. Gutsily however Manny kept fighting and got the win. Chaos would then continue as Team UK while having swept the Aussies in the 155 category then saw bloated Flyweight Richie Vaculik return to fight Colin Fletcher while in one of the most confusing situations going. James Vanikolo was brought in to replace Manny in the semi finals before it was decreed he had to fight to earn his spot in that round. Then it was determined he'd have to fight a fellow Aussie with the choice being the trash talking Xavier Lucas only for James to badly miss weight and Lucas to then get a bye to the next round. Just reading that back alone gave me a headache and told you all you needed to know about this season.

That's without me mentioning the phone call incident in which Luke Newman and Bola Omoyele after losing their fights talked a neighbor into giving them a phone. From here we know that they and others would use the phone to make calls and send texts with Dana pissed that they had potentially given out results. You look back and in hindsight had Dana booted all those involved it would have devastated team UK with at least 5 of them guilty for their involvement. It was poor decision making but in my book Luke and Bola should have been removed, Luke in particular had not come off well with his loss to Robert Whittaker. So it wouldn't have been a big miss. In fact I'd say in the early goings that not many of the characters in this house were that likeable however one major stand out in this was Colin Fletcher. Made for a show like this was the character of Colin Fletcher thanks to his erratic dress sense and antics. Plus his Australian persona of Russel Mandingo was brilliant!

Honestly though while this season did have some fun moments and produced a future world champion in Robert Whittaker. I don't see me watching this one again. It's just a bit of a slog with not many standout or likeable individuals and some absolutely cringeworthy back and forth between the two teams at times. Especially the Australian Side who for most of the show were bland. Good to see the beginnings of Robert and fun for the antics of Colin. But there's not much else to this really!

Colin Fletcher - Man was I wrong here. My basis for picking Colin was I'd seen him fight before the show and knew what he was capable of. Unorthodox as all hell with the creepy clown gimmick. Colin was a standout fighter on this show and it's a shame he didn't fare as well in the octagon.

Robert Whittaker - Robert for me was the top welterweight of the season. He was a good athlete and had youth on his side. Not too mention his wins were all brutal knockouts on the show. Amazing though to see the fighter he's become since.

Who stood out to me

Richie Vaculik - Undersized by a large margin but scrappy as hell. Richie was a flyweight who was competing and Lightweight and while he lost both of his fights quite convincingly. I have to respect a man for stepping up that much in weight and giving it what he did.

Brendan Loughnane - One of the youngest guys of the bunch. Brendan as we know recently got royally fucked over on the Contender series. I'm still a big fan of him and his talents. So hopefully he does well in the PFL.

Manny Rodriguez - He won a fight I didn't expect him to win against Bola and he did so on a broken leg. The man is a warrior in my book and it's a shame that he only got one fight in the UFC which was a stoppage loss to Ben Alloway. Would have liked to have seen more from him.

Best Fight

Benny Alloway vs Brad Scott - While he's not a spectacular fighter by any means. I did see the early Forrest Griffin comparison to Brad Scott, he had cardio for days and was very scrappy which made for a fun fight against the veteran Benny Alloway.

Best Team

Team UK - Neither team was bad by any means but it seemed that Team UK had a brotherhood which the Aussies lacked. Plus honestly if it wasn't for the antics of Team UK, this season wouldn't have been as entertaining.

Who I wasn't a fan of

George Sotiropoulos - Considering I was quite impressed with him on season 6 and a fan of him during his early UFC run. It took his coaching role here to put me off George. He came off as having no real sense of humor and his constant digs at Team UK for how they lost were unnecessary.

James Vanikolo - A late entry given a big chance to step right into the next round but he can't make weight. Honestly he should have just been removed from the show. Nothing against him just not a fan.

Luke Newman/Bola Omoyele - Shame is especially with Bola I saw potential. Yet same time Luke wasn't a great team mate to his guys and he and Bola nearly destroyed the team by bringing in that phone. Put me right off the both of them.

Benny Alloway - Obviously you knew with the Welterweights 2 guys from Australia had to fight. But the way Ben went about picking his team mate just didn't sit right with me and then from there he went as far to deny it.

Norman Parke - Was never a big fan of Stormin Norman. His style wasn't the most entertaining to watch and he was always a bit up and down emotionally which was shown on this season. Nothing major just not a fan.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

As discussed in the SB with you, great write ups man. Digging it. I don't want to repeat what I said in the SB so you know my thoughts on a few seasons here and there.

Just on the Smashes:

I genuinely thought Colin Fletcher was the freakiest dude I've ever seen. I'd proper shit myself meeting him in a dark street. He was legit though. But I think this season was one where the two best guys won. Despite being a bit of a tool, Norman Parke was fairly decent iirc. Still is though he's had some issues in KSW.

Whittaker... well we all know the story there. Honestly, I didn't think he was that great. Then he beat the shit out of Colton Smith and I was so damn happy. Been a legend ever since no matter what.

Also G-Sot was a dickhead yeah.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Heel Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    As discussed in the SB with you, great write ups man. Digging it. I don't want to repeat what I said in the SB so you know my thoughts on a few seasons here and there.

Just on the Smashes:

I genuinely thought Colin Fletcher was the freakiest dude I've ever seen. I'd proper shit myself meeting him in a dark street. He was legit though. But I think this season was one where the two best guys won. Despite being a bit of a tool, Norman Parke was fairly decent iirc. Still is though he's had some issues in KSW.

Whittaker... well we all know the story there. Honestly, I didn't think he was that great. Then he beat the shit out of Colton Smith and I was so damn happy. Been a legend ever since no matter what.

Also G-Sot was a dickhead yeah.
    Cheers for the kind words man. Totally agree with what you say about Fletcher. He definitely lived up to his moniker of the Freakshow. Do agree with you that on this season the best two guys definitely won their respective weights. Parke did definitely have some talent but he really had one of those uninspiring grappling based styles. So with his style and the fact he could be an helmet, it just wasn't the best look for him. As for Whittaker, mate I remember that Colton Smith fight as well. I thought he looked tremendous, plus anyone who batted Smith got a thumbs up from me. Honestly the G-Sot thing is crazy as similar to Nelson, I actually didn't mind them when they competed on the show despite some obvious flaws. Yet when they returned as coaches man it really put me off them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information