Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020 Most Improved Wrestler of the Year Ongoing Discussion

Jobber

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: 2020 Most Improved Wrestler of the Year Ongoing Discussion

Deleted, my argument was stupid
    Last edited by Ingonious; 10-16-2020 at 11:10 PM.

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Ingonious View Post
    Oh right. Well, first things first, Maverick went from another jobber going for the 24/7 championship to probably having one of the biggest underdog stories in last while. Being in the Interim Cruiserweight Championship Tournament while he wasn't under contract got him a lot of love, and he definitely had his moments. I think he should be up there for the contenders, even though he hasn't been on TV in a while.
    How has he improved as a wrestler though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Mitch View Post
    How has he improved as a wrestler though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Improvement is tricky to define in Pro Wrestling though. The vast majority of the time a noticeable improvement is just someone going from struggling for TV or struggling for a serious role to then getting that TV and a solid role that lets them work. If a wrestler is largely boring in an enhancement/comedy jobber role then suddenly gets a push and becomes entertaining that often feels like they've improved simply by getting to show more.

I mean Braun was still green as grass and incredibly limited in 16 and 17 but his role was entertaining as this big over the top Monster. Did he necessarily improve as a wrestler though?

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

It is always a tricky award to vote on because some people lean towards wrestlers that showed improvements in their skills and had better matches and promos, and some people will lean towards wrestlers that got a push up the card which allowed them the opportunity to have better matches and promos and get more over with crowds. I try to balance both, but I think I lean on improved opportunities and output of good matches, I sort of see it as the opposite award to the 'Fall From Grace' award.

Yoshi-Hashi is a guy that springs to mind having won his first title this year in New Japan and feeling like a guy that deserves his spot in a G1, arguably being the B block MVP. I've always liked the guy but this feels like his career best year.

Eric Young also ticks those boxes. 2020 didn't start with me thinking I'd be throwing roses at Eric Young towards the end of the year, but he's gone from not being on WWE TV to being Impact World Champion, a fantastic heel (maybe the heel of the year), and had a couple very good matches with probably another coming this weekend against Rich Swann in the BFG main event.

I don't want to vote for Roman Reigns because it's only going to be because of the last 4 months of the year, but if I'm blown away again this weekend with his Jey Uso match it'll be hard not to use one of the 3 votes on him.

WAKE UP

Status

I'd say Young and Roman have been good for years. It's cool that Young has been given a chance at the top of the card but I don't think you can define that as him improving.

The only WWE shouts I think for this are either Raquel Gonzales and Shotzi Blackhart, but let's see how they do over the next couple weeks. In AEW I feel like Jungle Boy is a guy who has developed and improved a lot over the past year.

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

Not sure if he's more of a "best newcomer", but Wardlow would be in contention for me. Unsure if he was even doing anything before AEW, and had generic big lug written all over him. But he's held his own all year, and if anything over performed. If he keeps developing, the inevitable face turn and breakaway from MJF is gonna be something.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information