2016 - Charlotte
    2017 - Asuka
    2018 - Becky Lynch
    2019 - Tessa Blanchard

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Re: 2020 Womens Wrestler of the Year Ongoing Discussion

Rhea and Bianca are the two names that jump out at me for this so far. I loved their Takeover match, and then Rhea had the best match of mania weekend while Bianca was the MVP of the women's rumble match. Still early days though

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

Belair is a great shout, she prob be ranked high with Kai & Nox not far behind

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    ​Brayden Bridges

Status

Ripley's definitely my fave from what I've seen (admittedly little). She ended 2019 redhot and has carried that over with, as Ed said, some great high profile matches. I watch a lot more AEW than WWE these days and comparatively their division is absolute shit so I might not have much input on this one by year's end

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

If they go with Shida like they should, she'll win this.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Greece

Still can't believe that Layla won back in 2010

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    Still can't believe that Layla won back in 2010
    Just had a look back at that year and even Nattie made the top 5 ballot. Fair to say that it was a pretty shit year for women’s wrestling.

King EC

Status

I'm pretty sure up until like 2013 or so, Nattie was generally considered a solid wrestler.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peanutbutter View Post
    I'm pretty sure up until like 2013 or so, Nattie was generally considered a solid wrestler.
    Yeah but look at the quality around her at the time and the state of the division. It’s easy to be solid when you’re surrounded by Kelly Kelly’s and your one of the only women on the roster with actual wrestling experience.

King EC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Yeah but look at the quality around her at the time and the state of the division. It’s easy to be solid when you’re surrounded by Kelly Kelly’s and your one of the only women on the roster with actual wrestling experience.
    For sure. I just don't think Natalya being top 5 is the biggest indictment on how shitty women's wrestling was for so many years is all I'm saying. If anything I'm a little surprised she never won back during those darker times.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Going with Tessa again so far. She did become Impact Champ this year and while her subsequent feuds haven't been as great as her feud with Sami that was inevitable her and Sami are that good that anything after would be a letdown.

From the WWE I think by years end it has to be Sasha Banks. I know they've teased the Sasha-Bayley feud a lot and not done it but surely this time they'll pull the trigger and Sasha will get to shine again.

Fire Walk with Me

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Im going to go outside of the 4HW on this one. I don't know about Tessa Blanchard personally, I think the momentum and build up of her was great but the execution with her as champion just seems to be leaning on challenging for other titles and tag team matches. I feel like Impact Wrestling overall have been scared of pulling the trigger on intergender matches (despite the fact that's how she won it). Personally I would look at:

ASUKA: She's really been carrying the empty arena shows and I think while she isn't anywhere near her heyday, she's constantly been used in some capacity. Could they have done more with the Kabuki Warriors rather than putting them into singles matches? Of course but I also think it helped the Tag team titles to have Asuka as a champion in the spotlight with Becky. Now that she's no longer holding the belts, I feel that she could potentially rise again.

BRITT BAKER: It might be too soon for Britt but she is a solid worker and in the voyage of AEW's ascension, she has been the constant. Riho touched base now and then with a few defenses without any actual stoyline and Britt was making waves with a heel turn. I actually think being such a generic and dull face made her turn all the better than had she just gone in right off the bat as a heel. Further to this, she's been putting on consistently good matches and I assume with the pandemic meaning Nyla is MIA, she's the top heel that the company can rely on. I would also agree with the above that Hikaru Shida has had a really strong outing so far and seems to have built a fanbase.

RHIA RIPLEY: Yes, the title regin was short and I really felt that they could have done so much more to give her a definitive run, she did still beat Baszler which was no easy feat. Rhia also became the first and so far only woman to hold both the NXT and NXT Women's Championship. I think her promo work is good, her look and her energy is so refined for someone of her age and the WM match was probably the saving grace of that night.

DAKOTA KAI: I feel like Dakota is always the unsung hero but she's another person that's gone from cookie-cutter babyface to a compelling heel. I always thought Dakota was a star in the making, she never seems to have a bad match and when they finally turned her, she just seems to have gone from strength-to-strength. Kai's matches with LeRae and Nox have been standouts and her alliance with Gonzalez I feel is doing tremendous things for both workers. I do think maybe they're holding out on her but I think it's all too easy to go for the Charlottes and the Beckys. I think as good as Bianca has been, her title matches have never felt Takeover worthy (yes I may be going back further than 2020) and that's what takes the shine off of her, for me.

I do think Natalya is a solid wrestler, literally every woman in the company is given to Nattie at some point because she's trusted in the ring. Has she always been in the spotlight? No, has she always had storylines? No. However she is always in the background, she's had more PPV appearances than any other woman on the roster and with Alicia leaving last year, is the longest in tenure. I think the division has come a long way but I don't think that means her quality has gone, I do feel that Nattie is the type to be grateful for what they have and to try and make the most of it (fart gimmick, Khali and Hornswoggle etc) than to complain to higher-ups. Anyway I digress...

Thread Information