Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CWA: ONE NIGHT ONLY?

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

CWA: ONE NIGHT ONLY?

CWA Event Advertised for Philadelphia; trademarks registered in company’s name.
    Shake Meltzer
    4th April, 2020

It’s a few days too late to be an April Fool’s, but some very peculiar news indeed emerged this morning. The epicentre was Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where local television began to run advertisements for an upcoming professional wrestling event to take place at the 2300 Arena. Those familiar with the city’s local wrestling scene will know the significance of this particular setting, and things only became more bizarre when eagle-eyed viewers spotted this listing on the arena’s website:

ONE NIGHT ONLY announced for 18th May at the 2300 ARENA.
    See the formidable stars of the legendary CWA battle it out for one night only! Tickets go on sale at 10.00am, Saturday 25th April, only on 2300Arena.com.’

The listing was taken down shortly after it was discovered, but it had already been shared on social media thousands of times. Was this a typo? A late prank? We’ll see. For now, we’ll have to chalk this one up as a rumour.

UPDATE:
    It appears there may be more to this story than was originally thought. Of course, this and many other news outfits contacted the CWA (which still exists and employs a small skeletal staff to handle video archiving and administers past employee outreach) for comment, and got nothing in return. But it emerged early this afternoon that this very same company filed for the following trademarks:

‘ONE NIGHT ONLY’
    ‘CWA: ONE NIGHT ONLY’
    ‘ONE NIGHT IN PHILADELPHIA’
    ‘ONE NIGHT IN PHILLY'
    We will have to wait for official word from the company itself, but could this be what the internet has, of course, assumed it is? Could we be about to see the return - albeit for a promised one night - of the company that once sold out arenas all over the world?

More, surely, to follow…

---

OOC.

So, I thought it might be fun to put on some sort of supershow to help us through the duler days of ongoing self-isolation. And, of course, because it would be great to see some of our favourite CWA stars return for one more night in the spotlight!

This is just to gage if there would be interest in doing something like that from members here.

We could have proper matches, with promos, for those that wanted to do that. But for those who don’t want to commit to rp-ing for it we could also have special appearances by CWA stars where they don’t compete but speak or interact or whatever. Even if your character was never in CWA, I'm sure we could find a good way to involve you still...

Just post in the thread if you’d like to get involved and whether you’d want to promo or appear or whatever. It would be great if we could produce something really collaborative and unique with the host of fantastic characters in CWA’s past.

Announced Talent
    ALYSTER BLACK
    ASHLEY ADAMS
    CHUBBY CARLOS
    CLINT SHEPHERD
    DICKY ZUKO
    DIEGO GONZALEZ
    THE ECHO (DREW and ETHAN CONNOR)
    HUMANITY
    KRASH
    LIGHTBRINGER
    LILITH
    MICHELLE VON HORROWITZ
    NOAH STOCKE
    PRINCE ALI
    SHAWN SUMMERS
    TREVOR OCEAN
    XYZ
    (More to follow…)
    Last edited by SuperSaiyan; 04-11-2020 at 02:34 AM.

I'm a Stone Cold Lee Guy.

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Re: CWA: ONE NIGHT ONLY?

Yes yes yes please

take all my children.

-Chubby Carlos
    -The Echo
    -Lilith
    -Dicky Zuko.

Take them all
    The most amazing thing about this recent conversation is that I've learned AON is even more of a waste of space than I thought he was previously

Young Gunz

Status
      Country                    United States

I'm hesitant to sign up for this because the last CWA (Decade of Decadence) never was finished/posted and I had RP'ed for it and thought that it would be a good way to have things end. If we can get a commitment from some of the other guys/girls and some match writers, I'd be happy to bring The Elite and Shawn Summers out for one last CWA event...but I'm waiting.

Backyarder

Status

I'm in if Comeback Kid commits to participating.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

I'm in with my XYZ character and can help write matches if needed. FWA match-writing is a little shorter than CWA match-writing, but it's better than nada.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Comeback Kid View Post
    I'm hesitant to sign up for this because the last CWA (Decade of Decadence) never was finished/posted and I had RP'ed for it and thought that it would be a good way to have things end. If we can get a commitment from some of the other guys/girls and some match writers, I'd be happy to bring The Elite and Shawn Summers out for one last CWA event...but I'm waiting.
    That's understandable. I'm committed to getting this done and making it great if we have enough interest. I'm sure I could twist a few arms to get help with match-writing and grading, if needed.

Would be awesome to have you involved?

Status

CWA release teaser for ‘ONE NIGHT ONLY’ event.
    Shake Meltzer
    5th April, 2020

Two days ago, we reported that the internet rumour mill had began its wheels once again with regards to a CWA re-union show. A local ticket listing for ‘CWA: ONE NIGHT ONLY’ appeared and then disappeared on the website of the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia. This was followed by a series of related trademarks being taken out by the company that handles CWA’s extensive video archive.

Well, in a follow up to that, the official YouTube account of the CWA - which has remained dormant for the last two years - burst into life this morning with a video promoting… something.

We’re still not exactly clear what ONE NIGHT ONLY is going to be, but it appears that it’s going to be, well, at least something! More, surely, to follow...

You can watch the video below.

Spoiler:

The picture opens up slowly and silently on the ivory keys of a grand piano. We are in black and white, and the contrast between the colour of the keys is startling.

Two hands appear: old hands, full of life and vitality and, it seems, memories. We hear a deep, wistful sigh as she maneuvers her still-nimble digits into position, and as she pushes the first key and the first note of her song rings out, the picture abruptly shifts.

We are still in black and white, but now instead of piano keys we see men in a wrestling ring. It is the 31st of December, 2008. More than a decade ago. From opposite corners of the ring, Logan V, the Ultimate Pain, Devon Jones, and Rich Stone silently size each other up. Not much happens in the scene, but it takes centre stage for a few seconds, unravelling in ultra slow motion. Fans in the crowd are caught mid-applause, or exclaiming something that is lost in the silence. A young couple kiss on the front row. Three rows behind them, a camera flash momentarily obscures that part of the picture. This is a moment of history: the first match ever on Adrenaline Rush.

“Stars, they come and go. They come fast, 'n slow. They go like the last light of the sun. All in a blaze. And all you see is glory.”

Slowly, the footage from New York on New Year’s Eve, 2008, fades to black, and is replaced by images from within a much larger stadium in the same city. Madison Square Garden. Again, things play out in slow motion, and we’re given a wide shot of a stadium in rapture. In the middle of the ring, Nickolas Kennedy Arsen celebrates his victory in the inaugural Wrestle Royale Match, staring up at Roberto Superstar (the first ever and five-time World Champion), who stares back at him from the stage. It is Five-Star Attraction, 2009. The first installment of CWA’s biggest show.

"Hey, but it gets lonely there. When there's no one here to share."

"We can shake it away. If you'll hear a story."

At an achingly measured speed, we see glimpses of various main events from Five-Star Attractions throughout the years. Mr Showtime poses on the second turnbuckle, Rich Stone and Mr Willis visible in the ring behind him, readying themselves for their triple threat match in 2010.

From 2011, we get an intense close-up of Rolando Fuentes slapping a sleeper hold onto Ultimate Pain. Sweat bounces off both competitors as Pain and Fuentes come together. Chubby Carlos celebrates his 2012 victory in front of a crowd that is losing their shit in super slow motion. In 2014, at FSA’s fifth show, Dan Maskell holds Leon Wallace up for his patented brainbuster as Krash watches on from across the ring, a look of anguish etched on his face.

"People lust for fame. Like athletes in a game. We break our collarbones. And come up swinging."

Prince Pain roars into the camera, his arms pumping and his chest violently expanded, as he closes in on his World Championship victory in 2015.

"Some of us are crowned."

He is a stark contrast to Jon Snowmantashi, who has a calm, almost indifferent look as he steps over the fallen body of Michelle von Horrowitz in 2016, his eyes locked onto Jonathan McGinnis, who has appeared on the stage with the Echo at his side. He clutches the World Championship on his shoulder.

"Some of us are downed."

In 2017, the kaiju still occupies centre stage, and we get an elongated shot of him winding up in slow motion, his face consumed with rage as he drives himself into LIGHTBRINGER with a vicious headbutt.

"Some of are lost and never found. But most have seen it all."

As his opponent slowly succumbs to gravity and falls to the mat, the kaiju beats his chest and lets out a roar. We cannot hear it. We hear only the soft playing of a piano, and a woman’s voice.

"They live their lives. In sad cafes and music halls. They always have a story."

We see Nightmare on his knees, his hands on his hips, staring down at the mat. His tag team partner, Humanity, is lying face-down in front of him. The scene is Global Collision, 2015, and the Movement have just seen the end of their second tag team title reign. They gradually become blurred, the camera instead deciding to focus on the new champions. The Echo are standing on the stage, the belts lifted high above their heads.

"Some make it when they're young."

"Before the world has done it's dirty job."

Roberto Superstar is on his knees in the middle of the ring, staring at his newly won CWA World Championship. It is February, 2009. He is the first champion in history. His face blurs, as do the crowd around him, and the scene gradually morphs into another.

"And later on, someone will say, 'You've had your day, now you must make way'."

Braiden Bridges sits with his head against the second turnbuckle, his face covered in a crimson mask. He holds the same championship, nine years later, in June of 2018. His eyes are glazed over, his condition only marginally better than that of Lilith, the woman who lies on her back in front of him.

"Don't they always?"

Cyrus Truth sits on the apron, adjusting a knee pad. The World Championship is draped over his shoulder. Behind him, out of focus, Samuel Hyde is being checked on by officials, the Meltdown 2012 sign visible in the distance. The assembled Orlando audience stares respectfully at Cyrus; a portrait of a champion in stasis.

"But they'll never know the pain, of living with a name you never owned. Or the many years forgetting, what you know too well."

We view glimpses of some of the greatest teams in CWA history. Axl Rose and Daren Storm of The Future stand upon opposite turnbuckles, the camera slowly panning around them. The Tag Team Championships hang high above the ring as the Domino Brothers look on at them from outside of the ring. This is the 267th and final day of their inaugural and longest ever reign.

"You try to make amends. Without defending. Perhaps pretending."

We cut to Ethan Connor of the Echo in mid-air, mid-rotation in a Shooting Star Press. The footage is slowed down so that he is barely moving, almost levitating above Nick Lawton of The Moment. We fade to Alyster Black and Krash of the Gang Stars, as they stand in the centre of the ring with the belts at Meltdown 2011. They stare with dead eyes at the Brotherhood on the outside. We cut to Krash handing over the CWA Undisputed Tag Team Championships to Ricardo Vance and Santino Dongarelli at the first Krash Tag Team Classic in 2017. Finally, in September 2018, we see The Elite - the final ever champions - holding their championship belts aloft in the ring in Victoria, Australia.

"They really loved you. Never."

Three separate pieces of footage are shown from Dan Maskell’s career. He hooks the leg of Dexter Darwin Douglas in Chicago, the referee sliding into position to count him to the X-Fly Title. Secondly, in Richmond, he and Krash exchange a tag in the match that would lead to his first Tag Team Championship. Finally, he and Krash fall through the air from the top rope with a Big Ben Bash in Vancouver, Maskell on the way to his first World Championship. All of these clips, like all of the footage in the package, are shown in the same ultra slow motion, so that the image is almost stationary. They represent moments in careers.

"Some make it when they're old. Perhaps they have a soul they're not afraid to bare. Perhaps there's nothing there."

These images of Maskell are intercut with parallel scenes from Krash’s career. He steadies himself on the top rope at Madison Square Garden at Five-Star Attraction in 2017, staring down at the High Voltage Champion, Elijah Edwards. Back in October 2011 at Meltdown, he nails Kenneth LeBlanc of the Brotherhood with the Kill on the way to the tag straps. Finally, he has both legs of The Andrew Alexander hooked, the referee bringing his hand down to count the three in Atlanta for his first World Championship.

"But anyway that isn't what i meant to say. I'm meant to tell about a story, since we all have stories, but can't remember it anyways."

Back in 2011 at Hostile Takeover in Rome, Italy, we’re treated to elongated shot of Mr Willis ducking beneath a wild right hand from Mr Showtime, moving into a rear waistlock. In ultra slow motion, every movement of the two former champions is amplified and laid bare, particularly the look of focus on both of their faces.

"Some people play a fine guitar. I could listen to them play all day."

We see the Ultimate Pain with Roberto Superstar hoisted up in position for his Ulti-Bomb at Uprising in Houston back in 2012. Superstar’s body is driven towards the mat, Pain moving towards his second and final World Championship reign.

"But anyway, I'm trying to tell my story"

The piano is louder, the music building towards its crescendo. Images of former champions in their prime are inter-spliced with momentary glimpses in black and white of contrasting images. A solitary man walks down a road, which stretches and winds towards the horizon before him. A lonely mountain dominates the horizon as the sun peeks its head over its shoulder, casting the first morning light. A white wolf silently prowls through a forest, its nose close to the ground, alone and proud.

"Janis Ian told it very well."

Michelle von Horrowitz rotates through after a huge back body drop from Jon Snowmantashi at the Garden in 2016. The slow motion highlights the look of terror on her face, and the expression of passivity on his.

"Janis Joplin told it even better,"

Jonathan McGinnis is mid-F5 on Cyrus Truth, footage from the climax of 2015’s World’s Strongest in Philadelphia, the Last Indy Darling on the cusp of his first world title.

"Billy Holiday told it even better. "

Roberto Superstar stands on the second turnbuckle with the World Championship back in February, 2009.

"We always..."

Inhuman Jon Snowmantashi is in the middle of the ring, the belt on his shoulder, on the first of a record 412 days with the same championship in 2016.

"We always..."

Braiden Bridges stands on the stage in 2018, his back to the camera. He seems to be looking at the ring, the very same leather strap in his hand. Finally, after lingering for a moment, he drags his eyes away, and walks away from us, through the curtain.

"We always have a story."

We cut to black. Finally, the teaser’s only moment of colour gradually fades onto the screen. The teaser poster for CWA: ONE NIGHT ONLY.

"The latest story that I know is the one that i'm supposed to go out of."

Wednesday 20th May, 2020.

Last edited by SuperSaiyan; 05-14-2020 at 04:13 PM.

@MyRecycledBalls

Status
      Country                    Norway

I'm sure Humanity could sneak a special appearance, just for SS.

Status

First names announced for CWA: One Night Only.
    Shake Meltzer.
    10th April, 2020.

The internet has been buzzing with rumours since CWA released a promotional video for their upcoming One Night Only event. Since then, the company has made public the first series of names who are scheduled to appear at the event. This is from the 2300Arena.com listing of the event:

See all of your favourite CWA legends, including:
    ALYSTER BLACK
    ASHLEY ADAMS
    CHUBBY CARLOS
    CLINT SHEPHERD
    DICKY ZUKO
    DIEGO GONZALEZ
    THE ECHO (DREW and ETHAN CONNOR)
    HUMANITY
    KRASH
    LIGHTBRINGER
    LILITH
    MICHELLE VON HORROWITZ
    NOAH STOCKE
    PRINCE ALI
    SHAWN SUMMERS
    TREVOR OCEAN
    XYZ
    (More to follow…)

There are some huge names on this list, with THREE former CWA World Heavyweight Champions in the form of Chubby Carlos, Krash, and Lilith all slated to make appearances. We have three and a half sets of Tag Champions, the last ever Women’s Champion in Ashley Adams, and a whole host of High Voltage champions!

The company has promised another release of scheduled appearances in the next few days, but this reporter is already salivating at the potential dream matches that this event could throw up.

Status

Gonna leave this open for any late entrants until Wednesday, and then I'll start putting a card together. Let me know if anyone else is interested!

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Mark Merriweather will appear to promote his new movie. The DiMiaco Brothers and Sweet Sammy Riggins will appear as well

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

The Maniacal Martyr

Status

I know the Valanders never partook in CWA, but they wouldn't mind to make an appearance on the show, count them in.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Yeah involved Triple J Security in some fun if you want too. (Think Right to Censor)

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Maniax, I have an idea. I'll get to you on Discord.

It would be great if those who have expressed interest could let me know if their characters would like a match (which will require a promo) and which are just going to appear on the show (which won't require a promo). If you could tell me in here or pm me that would be great. Card will be up later on today, and I'm thinking at the moment a ten day deadline to give people time to write. I might extend that to two weeks once I know the deadline for the next fwa show, which a lot of us will be writing for as well so I'll avoid deadlines that are really close together.

There's a great cohort of characters here. This could be great!

Status

Hey guys, I'm about to post the card in a separate thread... If you have any thoughts or want any changes, shoot me a PM or let me know in here and I can try and re-jig things around.

If you have any segment ideas or anything, let me know so we can start to structure how the show is going to look. Thanks a million to those who have agreed to grade promos or write matches. I've listed which matches I'd like you to do on the card so that you know which promos you need to look at. We're just going to use the FWA grading scale, which I'll send around by PM to people before the time comes. Also, if anybody wants to write a specific match, let me know.

Think there's some really great dream matches on here - Elite v Echo v Gangstars in particular will be great and very excited about the main event...

I'm a Stone Cold Lee Guy.

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Re: CWA: ONE NIGHT ONLY! [card and promo thread]

Welp. Ash is gonna die.
    The most amazing thing about this recent conversation is that I've learned AON is even more of a waste of space than I thought he was previously

Status

Quote Originally Posted by An Original Name View Post
    Welp. Ash is gonna die.
    I'm counting this as your lilith promo :p

Discussion in the other thread bro. Just promos in here.

Edit: thanks for moving the posts wolf.
    Last edited by SuperSaiyan; 05-09-2020 at 01:42 PM.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by An Original Name View Post
    Welp. Ash is gonna die.

The last ever CWA women’s champion and longest reigning women’s champion says bring it on she ain’t scared.

Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

Status

Slight adjustments to the card...

http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=174678

The CWA World Tag Team Championships, held by The Elite at the end of the company's run, will now be on the line in a three-way LADDER MATCH!

Thanks to Rawr for agreeing to write this match-up, and also to Mitch for agreeing to grade a match. TGO, I've taken you off the Lilith v Adams grading duties because you have a few others already and put Mitch on it.

If anybody else wants to write a match, we have some remaining .

Status

Just as a heads up to everyone, after a few requests, I'm changing the deadline to end of day on Tuesday, 26th May.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information