Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus in European Sport

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: Coronavirus in European Sport

6 positive tests in PL batch testing already. Don't put these people at risk ffs.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
    I have a plan so cunning......

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Dean Smith has been telling his players to lick door handles and supermarket trolleys.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Dean Smith has been telling his players to lick door handles and supermarket trolleys.

That would be genius.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Also, Hull City are the first Championship side to write to the EFL and say they are against project restart and think the season should be voided.

That'll be the same Hull City that sold their two best players in January, have won 1 (one) game in 2020 and are in a relegation battle.

This is the problem with project restart even once you get past the obvious health issues. In a money driven dog eat dog industry, how are you going to get clubs to be impartial on this unless their season was already dead and buried (which in the Championship isn't a lot of teams).

I'm in the middle with it, I think forcing a restart in June is a bit risky and we shouldn't really be doing it until we have a better grip of things. At the same time, I'm still strongly against voiding the season because at this point I doubt England can even get a normal 2020-2021 season together.

People's Champion

Status

I don't think you can void a season this late in. End the season with a pools panel and be done with it. Heck flip a sodding coin to see who wins what matches for all I care.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Comeback King

Status

I just think delay it and delay next season. Wait as long as it takes but they won't do that.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Did you guys see the Troy Deeney comments? I thought it was spot on and I respect him for speaking out.

If you didn't; essentially he was saying he's not going to return to football. He has a 5 month year old son with breathing problems and he's not prepared to take the risk.

Respect.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    I just think delay it and delay next season. Wait as long as it takes but they won't do that.
    Pretty much. It’s the only fair way outside forcing a restart. You’re never going to get a unanimous decision between the clubs in the league because they will obviously all just look out for themselves. Those at the bottom will obviously fight for a void season while those near the top will either fight for a points based ending or fight for the right to end the season. Those who are in a good enough position to not go down but have nothing else to battle for will just go with the flow.

I still maintain that unless they delay things, ending the season as things stand is the fairest way to do it.

Renegade™

Status
      Country                    Australia

there's too much legal action possible if they just end the season with the standings as is, look at what's happening in France

The EST of WC

Status

There will always be someone who gets fucked over. It’s the nature of the circumstances

- You end things as they are or decide to go by a PPG basis, those in relegation or European places get fucked

-You Void the league alongside relegations, European positions and title wins etc then those who played great for 75% of the season get fucked.

-You decide no relegations/ promotions or decide on having relegations but no promotions then the potential promoted teams gets fucked

-You decide to not relegate anyone but allow promotions then the teams who were in touching distance of promotion get fucked (not to mention everyone gets fucked by more games the following year)

Hell if you really want to go into it, if you decide to play the season later on, then teams still get fucked because of contract expirations etc...there really is no perfect scenario

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I can just see the games getting played behind closed doors (like the Bundesliga now) until the end of the season. I think deciding whether to void the league positions or keep them as they are to crown champions and relegate people will cause so many arguments and legal battles.

Comeback King

Status

Another four positive tests in the fourth round of testing in the Premier League. On the day they voted to do contact training again. Surely they can't now...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    Another four positive tests in the fourth round of testing in the Premier League. On the day they voted to do contact training again. Surely they can't now...

my god its a microcosm of the uk government. turkeys are voting for christmas.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

[Run]

Status

Pending government approval, looks like PL could be back 17th June.

Positive tests be darned!

People's Champion

Status

Yet Cricket...which is naturally socially distanced isn't coming back before August.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Here's the thing, the lockdown is on it's way to being over now. The Cummings story and gorgeous weather is going to encourage more people to ignore the restrictions, primary schools are opening up again shortly, non-essential shops are opening up mid-June, takeaways like McDonalds and Burger King are gonna be back next week, we can now meet in groups of 6 again outside, in two weeks time this government might relax things even further. There probably will be a second peak again, but that's not going to be empty arena footballs fault.

If you want the PL to bail out the rest of the football league financially, then like it or lump it they have to come back otherwise the TV rights people will pull out their money, PL teams get into debt, and clubs lower down start dying off. I know people like to turn their nose up and say football is not an essential business ignoring completely how much money it generates and how much happiness it brings the population, but if John Lewis and Burger King are coming back mid-June, then I see no reason why top flight football can't when that's a business that has the money and the means to test all the players and staff that will be involved.

Also, you put 8 hours of football on TV every Saturday for free like they are planning to do, that's going to keep a lot of people in their house rather than encourage them to spend the day at a crowded beach or doing non-essential shopping for example.

At least they are being smart in making those with games in hand play first so the league at least gets back to equal footing in case a 2nd peak brings an end to the season. Hopefully Liverpool win the title as quickly as they can so the players at least can win it on the pitch.
    Last edited by Ed; 05-28-2020 at 01:38 PM.

People's Champion

Status

Agree about showing the matches live and I would say put what you can on free to air too. I'm eagerly awaiting what Welsh Government say tomorrow now.

People's Champion

Status

Sky have said 25 of their 64 games will be on free to air, that's a start.

Backyarder

Status

Today sees the return of elite level sport in the UK, with Snooker and Horse Racing kicking things off. As an ardent snooker fan I am happy to see its televised return with the Championship League on ITV4, although I’m still a bit skeptical on whether professional sport should be returning so soon. Having read a few articles on the measures to safeguard everyone in attendance it does appear to be very thorough though, so if sport is to return, I’m probably more comfortable with a non-contact sport like this taking place ahead of contact sport where social distancing is impossible.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Championship to resume on June 20th as it stands. Looking forward to the Albion collapse

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information