Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus in European Sport

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: Coronavirus in European Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Deco90 View Post
    100% agree with this!

At the end of the day, they've not won the league. And ultimately, no team should ever be GIVEN anything.

You wouldn't think so with the way some of their fans go on about it, and I know it's absolutely guttering but there's more teams then just Liverpool that are going to lose out and like Ed said, Leicester are a great example.
    Will you be equally aggrieved when Man Utd are given a european place next season? Or if Leicester are given a european place next season?

Liverpool had the league won. There isn't a person alive that thinks that the title was going to end up anywhere but with Liverpool. This isn't a closely run thing like the Champions League places, they were more dominant than any team in any other league in Europe this season (and it's not even close either).

Voiding the league is silly anyway when there's an entire 20/21 season that can be voided, to make time for the 19/20 season to finish. It makes no sense to me to cancel the season that is already underway when it would be far simpler and fairer to just cancel next season instead, and use that time to finish this one. Of course, the Premier League wouldn't do that because money is all that matters to them.

Points per game wouldn't be too bad, but relegation is not an option there.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Well if that's the case, points per game, no idea where that leaves United because we was shit most of the season.

Yet our form towards the end, we was looking good and in with a shout of Champions League.

It's difficult. Personally, I'd like to see the season ended voided or settled on current positions if need be, and I think if it wasn't for the money involved- then it would be. Football in the grand scheme of things means very little when the risk's are still going to be present.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Table would stay the same haha.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
    I have a plan so cunning......

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Will you be equally aggrieved when Man Utd are given a european place next season? Or if Leicester are given a european place next season?

Liverpool had the league won. There isn't a person alive that thinks that the title was going to end up anywhere but with Liverpool. This isn't a closely run thing like the Champions League places, they were more dominant than any team in any other league in Europe this season (and it's not even close either).

Voiding the league is silly anyway when there's an entire 20/21 season that can be voided, to make time for the 19/20 season to finish. It makes no sense to me to cancel the season that is already underway when it would be far simpler and fairer to just cancel next season instead, and use that time to finish this one. Of course, the Premier League wouldn't do that because money is all that matters to them.

Points per game wouldn't be too bad, but relegation is not an option there.
    Sorry, just seen your comment before I replied. Apologies for the double post Haha!

I don't want my club, or any other club given anything. To me, this isn't about my team, or not liking this or that team. What's going on is far bigger then football.

But in my opinion, regardless of how many points or games was needed- they haven't won the league. So it really doesn't matter if they would have or not, they haven't won it.. And if it ends now, they're being given the league any way you want to slice it, that's pretty much undisputed.

Headlines are saying that PSG have been awarded the French league.. Well there's not another human on the planet that didn't think they wouldn't win the French league, but it's the same thing.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I’m uneasy about giving Liverpool the title in the event that the league gets cancelled, as much as I agree it was the lock of all locks they were winning it. Either all 20 teams get the chance to finish the season or all 20 teams have to feel the effects of the season being voided imo. Leicester have all season looked set for champions league football, hows it going to feel for their fans if Liverpool get the rewards of their great season, but Leicester’s goes unrewarded and they end up starting the 20-21 season in the same boat as Southampton. Same thing with giving Liverpool the title but saying Leeds and West Brom have to stay in the championship. If difficult decisions have to be made, there has to be a level of consistency shown.
    Which is exactly why everything needs to be done based on the final table at the time of voiding the season. So that those in a champions league position get champions league football, those in relegation zone get relegated, those in promotion positions get promoted etc.... it’s the only fair way to do things other than actually finishing the season.

Like I said earlier, we were far enough in the season that the league table was beginning to take its final form, so it’s not too unreasonable to do it that way.

Comeback King

Status
      Country                    England

That won't happen, they'll have to do it like France and do it on points per game otherwise it simply isn't fair and even that is a push.

In a way I wish the Gov would just say no sport until September like the French so it takes the decision away from the PL who are handling this terribly.

People's Champion

Status

Whilst the best solution would be to finish the season however long it takes with other leagues already closing down and with the pressure from UEFA to get shit sorted, something is going to be done and done soon.

Best solution for me would be to finish this season no matter how long it takes then just do a half season for the new season and scrap the league cup, even the FA Cup if it's needed.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Which is exactly why everything needs to be done based on the final table at the time of voiding the season. So that those in a champions league position get champions league football, those in relegation zone get relegated, those in promotion positions get promoted etc.... it’s the only fair way to do things other than actually finishing the season.

Like I said earlier, we were far enough in the season that the league table was beginning to take its final form, so it’s not too unreasonable to do it that way.
    I'd almost agree with this because I actually feel bad for clubs like Liverpool/Leicester, but I just don't think you can. For the clubs on the positive side of things, it's fine, but relegating teams who potentially still had a chance to fight out of the relegation zone doesn't work for me. To big of an impact on the clubs to get that one across the line for me.

The EST of WC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Stojy View Post
    I'd almost agree with this because I actually feel bad for clubs like Liverpool/Leicester, but I just don't think you can. For the clubs on the positive side of things, it's fine, but relegating teams who potentially still had a chance to fight out of the relegation zone doesn't work for me. To big of an impact on the clubs to get that one across the line for me.
    Unless we finish the season, someone will get screwed over. That's the reality. It's really just a case of finding the solution which is the fairest. Just can't help but feel that in that situation, the teams who played well between August & March get what they deserve, and teams who performed badly between August & March also get what they deserve.

Renegade™

Status
      Country                    Australia

imagine Liverpool being crowned as Champions* and having that permanent asterisk next to it after waiting thirty years to win the big one again haha

I hope they finish the season behind closed doors eventually tbh, doing what France did is a no from me

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status
      Country                    Poland

Quote Originally Posted by ReneGR8 View Post
    imagine Liverpool being crowned as Champions* and having that permanent asterisk next to it after waiting thirty years to win the big one again haha

I hope they finish the season behind closed doors eventually tbh, doing what France did is a no from me
    You're dead to me Reney!

WCW 99: The Fingerpoke of Doom
    Now Playing in BTB Section!

People's Champion

Status

Another Brighton first team player has tested positive. Put the player safety first and end the bloody season.

Find a way...use a super computer for all I care to predict outcomes of the final matches or just scrap the season...do something before we see worse than what is already happening.

Comeback King

Status

It beggars belief they are even considering restarting

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    It beggars belief they are even considering restarting
    It really is. I get the desire to get things completed however there are lives at risk for doing this.

The EST of WC

Status

Money talks. For the economy’s sake the league needs to restart....even though it’s obvious that nothing should happen until Autumn at the very earliest

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

It's good to see Scottish football has some sense. The team that were obviously going to be champions are champions, and the team that were obviously going to be relegated were relegated

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

R. I. P. Lionheart

Status

can't wait for Rangers fans to bitch about how it isn't a real league win despite being 12 points ahead Defo the right thing to do, hopefully the premier league follows suit

Impact 2014: Re-Branding When It Mattered
    In the BTB Section!

Comeback King

Status

Premier League all depends on this second spike. Feels like they are going to train again and aim for the date in June and then it might be cancelled ladt minute because there's a second spike nationwide.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    It's good to see Scottish football has some sense. The team that were obviously going to be champions are champions, and the team that were obviously going to be relegated were relegated

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
    I'm not entirely convinced Hearts were going down but I do think Celtic were obviously going to win the league and fans of a certain team are kidding themselves if they think we were dropping enough points to lose the league. Not only that but they were in extremely poor form.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddes View Post
    can't wait for Rangers fans to bitch about how it isn't a real league win despite being 12 points ahead Defo the right thing to do, hopefully the premier league follows suit
    13* (might seem pedantic but that's an extra game where we have to drop points basically - they win their game in hand, they needed us to drop points in 4 games to get close )

The only people upset with the season's outcome are fans of teams relegated (Hearts, Partick etc) and Rangers fans. Probably be Hearts fans out there more upset at Celtic winning the league.

Here we gooo 10 in a rowww

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

People's Champion

Status

There will be a 2nd spike......anyway, cancelling seasons is the best way to do it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information