Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coronavirus and the Entertainment Industry

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: Coronavirus and the Entertainment Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    It's already starting. I see ABC is doing a celebrity-centric Who Wants To Be a Millionaire revival this Wednesday. Get something on the air and give those stir-crazy celebs something to do to keep their names in the limelight. Win-win for the biz.
    It would be more of a win if we could just keep them out of the limelight permanently. This whole situation has helped open my eyes to some of the celebrities that will no longer be getting any attention from me going forward. Their insecurity is equal parts ridiculous and sad.

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Cult of Fuji

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    It would be more of a win if we could just keep them out of the limelight permanently. This whole situation has helped open my eyes to some of the celebrities that will no longer be getting any attention from me going forward. Their insecurity is equal parts ridiculous and sad.

If we could get rid of the Kardashians that would be a huge win for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

TEAM CYRUS

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

Trolls World Tour has had it's streaming rental release today. One to keep an eye on, as it's performance could be an indicator if other films follow suit. The rental price is steep, but for it's target market, it's about the same price as a family of four would pay for the cinema anyway.

Batista film My Spy has now had it's cinema run cancelled and is just going straight to Amazon Prime. No date yet, but it was due in cinemas mid April.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Trolls World Tour has had it's streaming rental release today. One to keep an eye on, as it's performance could be an indicator if other films follow suit. The rental price is steep, but for it's target market, it's about the same price as a family of four would pay for the cinema anyway.

Batista film My Spy has now had it's cinema run cancelled and is just going straight to Amazon Prime. No date yet, but it was due in cinemas mid April.

Out of curiosity, what's the price where you are? It's $19.99 here, which is much cheaper than the $50 that it would cost a family of four to go to the cinema.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

[Run]

Status

Out of curiosity, what's the price where you are? It's $19.99 here, which is much cheaper than the $50 that it would cost a family of four to go to the cinema.
    £15.99. Between the two cinemas here locally, it'd be about £16-£20 at the cheaper one, and about £30-£40 at the better one. That's before taking into account buying food and the ability to pause the film when the kids inevitably need the toilet.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X104F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Postman Dave; 04-10-2020 at 10:01 AM.

[Run]

Status

Pixar's Soul has been pushed back to November, meaning the last beacon of hope for June has gone.

So now attention switches to July with Tenet, Mulan, and yet another Purge movie to see who blinks first.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Knowing Nolan’s penchant for large scale summer releases, I have to imagine Tenet will be pushed all the way to next July if it’s not going to be released this year.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

[Run]

Status

Tenet watch: still on for July

Meanwhile, Sony have pushed back Spider-Man 3(?) to November 2021. The domino effect is that Marvel have now moved Doctor Strange 2 to March 2022 to avoid the two movies clashing. Notably, Thor 4 retains its February 2022 slot despite this.

Depressingly, Into The Spiderverse 2 has now been bumped to October 2022.

Scoob! is now going straight to streaming. Noticing it's mostly kids/animated films taking this route, presuming that's because they're cheaper to make. Trolls World Tour did big streaming sales figures, but no idea yet if that's translated to anything resembling a profit yet.

[Run]

Status

Trolls World Tour did big streaming sales figures, but no idea yet if that's translated to anything resembling a profit yet.

Ohhh boy....

With cinemas closed during the current pandemic, studios have been forced to migrate a lot of their movies to home streaming, or face delaying their release for months. But Universal's straight-to-home-entertainment release for Trolls World Tour has sparked an almighty (if civil for now) row with cinema chain giant AMC in the States, which owns Odeon over here. The latest broadside in tis battle? AMC has decided to ban all Universal films.

In truth, the dispute stems from Universal looking to release other films this way, a big break in the traditional model, where cinemas could expect several months of a release window before a big film heads to streaming or physical media. But the impact of Covid-19 has seen that change, and cinema owners are not happy. In a letter to Universal film boss Donna Langley, AMC's Adam Aron accused the studio of looking to "have its cake and eat it too".

Part of his letter states, "AMC believes that with this proposed action to go to the home and theatres simultaneously, Universal is breaking the business model and dealings between our two companies.

"Going forward, AMC will not license any Universal movies in any of our 1,000 theatres globally on these terms."

Jeff Shell, president and chief executive of NBCUniversal, parent company of the film studio, told the Wall Street Journal the film had "exceeded our expectations and demonstrated the viability" of streaming. "As soon as theatres reopen, we expect to release movies on both formats," he said. And while other studios have moved a few films to streaming – Warners has Scoob! headed straight there, it's mostly Universal that has drawn fire for looking to change the status quo for movies. Which would mean a lot of lost revenue for cinemas, between fees from the studios and concessions like popcorn and drinks.

Empire
    Trolls is looking profitable enough to scare the shit out of cinemas.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Universal has come a long way from the time that they tried to sue Sony for providing a platform to watch content at home.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

[Run]

Status

Universal has come a long way from the time that they tried to sue Sony for providing a platform to watch content at home.
    Had to look up what you meant by this. That's my something new for the day taken care of.

[Run]

Status

Cineworld have now joined in said they won't show any Universal films in the UK either. That's two of the biggest UK chains, if Showcase & VUE join in that's pretty much a complete blackout.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Cineworld have now joined in said they won't show any Universal films in the UK either. That's two of the biggest UK chains, if Showcase & VUE join in that's pretty much a complete blackout.

Let's see if they feel the same way around a week before No Time to Die's release date.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

[Run]

Status

Let's see if they feel the same way around a week before No Time to Die's release date.
    I dunno, considering Bond was the first major film to move, they sure as hell won't want to take a hit financially. I can see MGM(?) pressuring Universal to back down too.

All fascinating stuff whichever way it goes. Personally I'd at least like the opportunity to see films like Bond and JW3 on the big screen.

[Run]

Status

More Universal/Cinema fun for the UK.

VUE have announced not only plans to reopen in mid July (in time for Tenet), but have also said they still plan on showing Universal movies.

Positivity~!

Maple Leaf Muscle

Status

Just a random thought I had while seeing a commercial for Ultimate Tag on Fox but does anyone think that networks will just let shows run their course instead of cancelling them due to poor ratings because there is nothing else on TV?

[Run]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Bananas View Post
    Just a random thought I had while seeing a commercial for Ultimate Tag on Fox but does anyone think that networks will just let shows run their course instead of cancelling them due to poor ratings because there is nothing else on TV?
    The bar is certainly going to move in terms of what gets cancelled or pulled and what doesn't. It's a sellers market right now, broadcasters just need fresh content more than anything.

[Run]

Status

Movie release date dominoes has returned~!

Tenet has finally caved and postponed it's release date.......by two weeks. Better than 12 months I guess.

The knock on effect however, is that Wonder Woman 1984 has now moved from August to October, The 4th Matrix movie has now been bumped to 2022 due to production delays, and Godzilla vs. Kong has been delayed yet again, and now won't see light of day until May next year. That's in danger of becoming the next "New Mutants" at this rate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information