Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start

Well this is already regrettable

I'm joining in with Steve, Marketh and Stojy here with my own series of rewatches/reviews/ramblings.

I actually started doing this some point last week when I decided to watch Victory Road 2004 on a whim. And then I felt like watching Turning Point 2004, so I figured why not have a little fun with things and record my thoughts while I'm watching through these PPVs. Plus I need to justify my continued subscription to Impact Plus somehow. Fair warning here, I'm not going be doing formal reviews of these shows. I'm not going to be going play by play and doing star ratings or anything like that. This is going to be more like a stream of consciousness situation where I just give my thoughts on what I'm seeing.

Hopefully some of y'all will find some amusement in this thread and enjoy this walk down memory lane with me.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start

These early shows have a lot to talk about if nothing else. Apart from Victory Road, most of them have a MOTYC on them too.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Status

Good move ducking past those early weekly shows. Enough to drive even the most gifted and beautiful of posters to stop reviewing within a couple of episodes.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

King EC

Status

VICTORY ROAD 2004!

The first monthly PPV in TNA history. They were previously doing weekly PPVs in lieu of any major TV shows but since Impact! was heading to Fox Sports Network, they made the move to pivot to monthly PPVs.

First of all, I have to go ahead and establish right off the bat how much I love this era of TNA's presentation. Looking back now, it definitely feels dated but it was 16 years ago, what the fuck do you expect? Anyways, the whole vibe to me still feels very "regional". At this point, they are definitely pretty well known across America but they still have that strong southern feeling to them. It's probably the production values. Also, Don West and Mike Tenay are maybe my favorite announce team ever, rivaled only by Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler. And keep in mind when I say that, that I was born in 1996 so I never experienced teams like Heenan and Monsoon and what not. I've watched shows they've called but the fact that I actually experienced these other teams while they were around gives them an edge. So it is what it is. Deal with it.

First match is an X Division gauntlet with a lot of familiar faces. Some I didn't expect to see in TNA in 2004. Matt Sydal in particular stands out. Dude looks like he's 14 years old in there. TJP makes an appearance as well as the masked Puma. Shark Boy's in there. Chris Sabin. Alex Shelley. Brian Kendrick as Spanky. Definitely wasn't expecting to see him here. And there's also Hector Garza, uncle of the greatest wrestler in history, Angel Garza. The match honestly feels too long. It's not like anyone in this match is a big name to keep you really invested. In the end, Garza gets the win. So, I mean, that's pretty unspectacular stuff. There were some good spots and everything but it felt like nothing was really at stake.

I was surprised by some of the names featured in that X Division gauntlet but I was REALLY surprised to see Johnny B. fucking Badd wrestling in the next match. And the audacity of the commentators to try to put him over as some legendary figure. Yeesh. Ron Killings, Johnny B. Badd, Erik Watts and Simon Diamond beat Dallas, Kid Kash and The Naturals, not that it matters.

Lucha mini match follows. No comment.

Konnan and BG James then defeat Bobby Roode and Eric Young to win the tag team titles. This is apparently a pretty long running feud but you wouldn't really get that sense from the match. There's not a big "hook" to it or any hatred on display. I like 3 Live Kru a lot, but at this point in time, the one member of it that is worth watching in the ring is Killings, and he isn't a part of this so... average match there.

Next we have Piper's Pit with Roddy Piper and Jimmy Snuka. The thing is... if you're TNA and you want to become the alternative and close the (considerable) gap with WWE (who by the way you dedicate a fair amount of air time taking shots at), and you decide on your first big monthly PPV to rehash a WWE segment from 20 years prior, who are you expecting to win over? Come on. Anyways the whole thing here is that Piper wants Snuka to hit him with a coconut to even the score. Kid Kash interrupts and it turns into a brawl, featuring Michael Shane and Kazarian giving Kash an assist until Dutt comes out to make the save for the legends. I mean, I'm certainly not interested by Kid Kash and Sonjay Dutt but at least the younger talents got a little something out of it.

Trinity next wrestles the debuting Jacqueline and that's a thing that happened.

Alright now this next match actually renewed my interest. I was already starting to check out. It's Monty Brown vs. Abyss vs. Raven in a Monster's Ball match. I'm not going to lie and tell you this was some awesome brawl but compared to everything that's happened so far, it is easily the best part of the show. As I watch through these PPVs I am reminded how good of a complete package Monty Brown was. Not only did he have the legit NFL background, an awesome physique and a dope ass finisher but he could actually cut a good promo too. I don't think we ever got to see if he could work a legit 20 minute main event with drama and psychology (guess I'll figure that out eventually) but I wouldn't doubt him. Anyways, the big moment of this match is when Abyss tries to superplex Brown off the top, but Raven comes in and powerbombs Abyss onto the thumbtacks. Always a fun time. The match ends with Monty pouncing Raven through a table, which was also cool.

Now for one of the most pushed matches on the card: Petey Williams vs. AJ Styles for the X Division Championship. Petey is champ heading in. Now you figure given by this point AJ was already one of the biggest things TNA had going, he was surely a shoe-in to win here, but no. Petey overcomes. It's an absolute spotfest, in a good way, and Petey wins with the Canadian Destroyer after some interference. It seems kind of weird on the surface to have Petey go over AJ here but in watching more shows that would follow this, TNA were really getting behind Petey and especially trying to establish The Canadian Destroyer as the most devastating move in all of TNA, which it probably was.

Triple X face AMW next. It's a feud that's been raging for a long time, but based on the video package, not a lot has actually happened. I was out of this match honestly. I'm pretty sure it's both an elimination style match, as well as a Texas Deathmatch. God damn TNA. I wanna see if I can make it through one PPV without there being some sort of ridiculously convoluted match type or stipulation. Bet it takes a while. Anyways, the match just isn't that great and ultimately not something I would recommend. Luckily next month they step it up in a big way. AMW win this one.

At this point, I want to talk about the segments that are going on throughout this event. You have two major stories playing out.

The first is a campaign to be elected the TNA Director of Authority. It's Vince Russo against Dusty Rhodes. To my knowledge, they've both been around in TNA for a while at this point. I didn't care enough to research everything that lead up to this election, but I do like that they're running attack ads on each other throughout the show like it's a political thing. It's at least a tad bit humorous. Ultimately, Rhodes wins the election and going forward he will be the Directory of Authority. I remember not enjoying that.

The other thing that's going on has to do with the main event. Jeff Jarrett is defending his title against Jeff Hardy in a ladder match. Jarrett will have Hall in his corner, while Hardy will have Nash in his corner. At least that's the plan. Throughout the night, it's in doubt whether Hall or Nash will make it to the arena. Apparently, they're both expected to not make it to the show, presumably due to some kind of set up. Hall shows up in the middle of the show and there's also a limo that pulls up that I guess is Kevin Nash but no one gets out and no one is allowed to see who's in it. Anyways, the big point is that Nash and Hall will be ringside for the main event, so they really phoned in the ending of the PPV imo.

The main event comes and it's just okay. There are a few decent spots in there. There's not much in the way of a cohesive match though. Hall gets involved midway and hits The Outsider's Edge on Hardy off the ladder. The funny thing to me is that Hardy basically no sells it and still gets to his feet before Jarrett. Some more tussling takes place and eventually it's clear we're getting ready to wrap things up. Nash finally makes his presence felt. He's obviously here to keep his word and help Jeff Hard- WAIT NO! It's a swerve BRO! Nash turns on Hardy and all three of the elderly gentlemen smash guitars over Hardy's head before Jarrett grabs the title and wins.

Thus, The Kings of Wrestling are formed. I don't really have an issue with going back to the well and creating a spinoff of the nWo so to speak, but I do hate The King of Wrestling, and I will talk in more detail about why when I give my thoughts on Turning Point. Anyways, we have this new heel stable here to dominate things, but wait just a second! AJ Styles comes out to confront them but he never held the WCW World Heavyweight Championship so of course he's no match! 3 Live Kru make a run out too but The Kings quickly dispose of that weak shit. The lights go out and making his surprise debut is Macho Man Randy Savage! Finally someone who was relevant enough in the 80s and 90s to stand up to these three! The show goes off air with Savage staring down the new heel faction.

In total, I feel like this show had one actually good match and two or three that I wouldn't necessarily tell you to watch OR avoid. In my opinion, the big thing they failed to do here was play to their strengths and show fans what makes them different to WWE (in a good way). There wasn't enough emphasis put on their own creations and this wasn't the best showcase of the X-Division or tag team division for that matter. I just really doubt that there was a significant portion of the population out there who were going to see a power struggle between Dusty Rhodes and Vince Russo and say "now this looks like a company for me!". Same goes for Jarrett forming another stable with a very old looking Kevin Nash and very just bad looking Scott Hall. I mean the craziest thing to me is how similar the booking and overall essence of this company is to dying days WCW which I have also been watching a lot of recently. I mean, these same tactics weren't doing you any favors 4-5 years ago, so what gives? I think you would have made a bigger impression on people if you put Hardy over in the main event, even though he wasn't yet the main event player he would become in a few years. At least it's forward thinking and alternative IN A GOOD WAY.

Show was below average.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peanutbutter View Post
    I'm joining in with Steve, Marketh and Stojy here with my own series of rewatches/reviews/ramblings.
    How fucking dare you.

King EC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    How fucking dare you.
    You've been at this shit for years. I'm grouping myself in with the other dudes who are only doing this because now we have nothing better to do.

You've been at this shit for years. I'm grouping myself in with the other dudes who are only doing this because now we have nothing better to do.
    Steve and Marketh have had review threads off and on dating back to a dozen years ago! I'm still outraged and fuming!

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Steve and Marketh have had review threads off and on dating back to a dozen years ago! I'm still outraged and fuming!
    I’m outraged at not being acknowledged for also reviewing a bunch of these 8 years ago dammit.

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    I’m outraged at not being acknowledged for also reviewing a bunch of these 8 years ago dammit.
    Start up a new thread and I'm sure you'll be credited as being one of the new up and coming reviewers like Steve and Marketh.

OUTRAGED!

King EC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

I hope you really, really, really look forward to every Sean Waltman and Jeff Hardy PPV match and will be devastated if they don't end up happening.

King EC

Status

I hope you really, really, really look forward to every Sean Waltman and Jeff Hardy PPV match and will be devastated if they don't end up happening.
    You monster...

I'm going to go find Fuji's thread...

You monster...

I'm going to go find Fuji's thread...
    While you're at it, find all of those plentiful wonderful review threads created by Marketh and Steve.

King EC

Status

I gave up on finding Fuji's thread but if he wants to link it, I'd like to check it out...

TURNING POINT 2004!

There are three truly noteworthy things that happen on this show I think. One is that Macho Man wrestles his final match in the semi-main event. The other is something that actually happens in the main event, which I will get to. And one is just the most uncalled for shit I think I've ever seen. And they get right to it at the beginning of the PPV.

So apparently back in 2004, WWE had a show in Orlando. TNA, behaving like teenage edgelords, thought it would be cool to send a few of their folks over to their show and film it. And that's what they did. But, as I understand it, WWE caught wind and threatened to sue TNA if they aired it. So TNA held off.

But boy would TNA have the last laugh on this night!

Throughout the event we are treated to a series of promos featuring impersonators of Vince McMahon and Triple H. They are at the arena to find the tape and destroy it! I hate that TNA did this but I will give credit to the people doing the parodies because they do great impressions of McMahon and Trips. The main joke is that Triple H is Vince's bitch. Through various segments we see Traci deliver them cookies, which fall on the floor, that Triple H proceeds to eat, then a midget that works for TNA comes to their locker room and beats up Vince after he mouths off to him, and then we see Vince taken off in an ambulance.

And then comes the big moment, TNA Director of Authority Dusty Rhodes orders the production team to show the tape, which they've been referring to as Cookiegate! This is the big moment! This is what this was all for! And I think it would be best if you just watched the segment for yourself...

Like I said, joke's on WWE! TNA really stuck it to them with this one.

Definitely worth committing about 30 minutes of your 3 hour PPV to this bit. Anyways, let's get to the action.

First two matches of the show are solid tags.

There's a 3LK/Team Canada rematch which is an improvement over last month's because Killings is wrestling in this one in place of Konnan.

Then there's a six man X Division Tag Match with Kid Kash, Michael Shane and Kazarian facing Sonjay Dutt, Sonny Siaki and Hector Garza. This is a continuation of last month where Kid Kash dissed Jimmy Snuka and Sonjay Dutt came for the save. To be honest, I kinda agree with what Kash was saying. Snuka did a splash off the top of a cage which is sick and worthy of the praise, but the X Division guys are blowing that kinda shit out of the water regularly, so why in 2004 are we dedicating air time to Snuka instead of the X Division dudes? Anyways, Garza gets the win for the good guys in the end.

The next match is Monty Brown vs. Abyss in a hardcore match. Brown calls it a Serengeti Rules match but there's nothing that sets this match apart from any hardcore match. It's a hardcore match. I really loved this match, and once again I give props to Brown who cuts a great promo before the match. They really duke it out here and it feels like there's some real hatred behind this thing. Abyss gets shirtless in this match which I don't think I've ever seen in any other match of his. Abyss quickly regrets getting shirtless though, because Monty Brown hits The Alpha Bomb (Alabama Slam) onto a pile of thumbtacks. Abyss for the most part misses the tacks but it's the thought that counts I guess. Brown gets the win.

Johnny B. Badd is still around and he and Pat Kenney (aka Simon Diamond) defeat Disco Inferno and Johnny Swinger. The nerve of this company.

Raven and DDP meet up now because DDP for some reason wants to keep Raven away from the World Title. Erik Watts is at the commentary table so I have to conclude that TNA didn't want people to enjoy this match. They have an all over the place brawl that culminates with some druids showing up. Erik Watts springs into action. He's going to stop these damn druids. And that he does. But then he pulls a SWERVE BRO, by clotheslining DDP. It's met with crickets of course because it's Erik fucking Watts after all. The crazy thing is, DDP then counters Watts, hits him with a cutter, hits Raven with a cutter, and still wins the match. I guess fuck Raven. The nerve of this company again.

X Division Title Match. Hell yeah. It's Chris Sabin vs. Petey Williams. Both of them were really hot at this point, and you almost get the sense that one of them is going to break out and be the next guy to transcend the X Division with how they're being treated. Like I said for Victory Road, TNA are really putting over the Canadian Destroyer as the most dangerous move in the world, but Chris Sabin knows how to counter it! In the weeks leading up to the PPV, Sabin would block the Canadian Destroyer multiple times and hit Petey with the Cradle Shock. If he can do the same tonight, he might just win that title. Petey does a great job hitting all the tried and true heel moves he can, but honestly the fans are really into both guys. Good thing Scott D'Amore is there to get his guy some heat by association! They have a really awesome match that gets sufficient time and hits a number of highs. The end sees Sabin block the Canadian Destroyer to attempt the Cradle Shock, but Petey counters that into a sharpshooter which I was sad to see was not that well executed. Apparently the sharpshooter is the hardest fucking move in the world to apply. Ultimately D'Amore causes a distraction, letting Petey hit Sabin with some brass knuckles to win. He avoided the Canadian Destroyer but it turns out Petey ain't no one trick pony.

Now it's time for the semi-main event which will be The Kings of Wrestling against AJ Styles, Jeff Hardy and Randy Savage. No matter what, you had to know Hardy and Styles would carry things for their team considering Savage's age but just to safe, they ran an angle earlier in the show where The Kings of Wrestling threw Savage in a car and sent him on his way. So it looks like it's going to be a handicap match.

Now I'm going to talk about why I hated The Kings of Wrestling... it's because they stunk. They are the top feel faction, but their gimmick is completely goofy. I know they were going for a hateable, goofy, assholes thing but they weren't funny and they didn't come across like guys who should be dominating a company. And basing your persona around Elvis in the year 2004 is just criminal. I don't care that you're a Tennessee based company and he's an American icon, it's just not topical. Just because people know the name, doesn't mean they'll actually care. So to have these guys coming out to honky tonk music and for Hall and Nash to be wearing jumpsuits was just not a good look. It might have worked when Hall and Nash were in their 30s but at this stage, it almost doesn't even read as a parody, they just actually look significantly less cool than they normally would. The good news is that the stable pretty much lasted two months.

This match also felt mercifully short. The babyfaces were very over so it worked stacking the deck against them, and of course with AJ Styles in there, you know he's going to make the match watchable at worst. Things get to looking pretty bad for the faces but just then, the Macho Man arrives! And the fans are into it, to be fair. But right off the bat, he gets on the apron in the heel corner, which makes you wonder if he was paying any attention at all to what was going on. Hardy still tags him in and Mach gets a couple of moves in on Jarrett. Jarrett tries to do a sunset flip into a pin but Mach drops down on him and hooks the leg to get the win. Boy that was not pretty. Mach was clearly not in any shape to be in the ring at this point.

And then the commentators put over Savage as the new number one contender for the NWA World Title. It's a good thing that didn't come to fruition.

Up next is AMW vs. Triple X in the six sides of steel, which I was surprised to see was the main event. I had only seen this match once before. Didn't realize it was actually the main event and since it has been many years, it almost felt like watching it again for the first time. I have to say, this match was awesome. This shit was just super well worked from start to finish pretty much. For this being two midcard tag teams, they went out there and validated the choice to put them on last. There was blood, violence, aggression and there was also some amazing spots and feats of athleticism, including most likely the most famous spot in TNA history.

In addition to that, you also see Daniels flying off the cage for an elbow drop and then a four person tower of doom spot that sees Daniels suplexed from the top of the cage. It's all quite the spectacle. AMW prevail in the end in what is quite possibly the best tag match in TNA history.

Final take on the show is that this was a huge step up from Victory Road as far as the matches are concerned. And that counts for plenty, honestly, because PPVs tend to be more about the matches. Of course you always want to include some big angles, but I tend to emphasize the ring work when it comes to PPVs. This was a step up in that department. But I hated to see all the WWE shit going on. Not only was it horribly anticlimactic and a waste of time with all the Vince/Trips parodies, but like... it wasn't even original either. With "Cookiegate", it was like they were trying to copy what DX did to Nitro, only it was much worse. And it was also a WWE idea. How are you going to steal ideas from the company you're trying to get one over on? And then not even have the decency to make it good? All that achieved for me was making Shane Douglas and 3LK look washed and bitter.

The other big downer here was Randy Savage. He may have been useful as far as his name value and creating some buzz, but he couldn't wrestle and once again you're sacrificing quality for the sake of getting someone with a name in the mix. Thank God he didn't wrestle Jarrett at Final Resolution as planned because it surely would have been an instant front runner for worst match of the year.

They did the right thing putting Triple X vs. AMW in the main event.

wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=143995

Took maybe 60 seconds. Outraged!

King EC

Status

Excellent work Jim.

Now I know me and Fuji were pretty much on the same page about these first two events and I have to strive to at least make it to Hard Justice in this thread.

Now I know me and Fuji were pretty much on the same page about these first two events and I have to strive to at least make it to Hard Justice in this thread.
    Motherfucker! You're ignoring me again?!

http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=93187

King EC

Status

Motherfucker! You're ignoring me again?!

http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=93187
    Yikes. Now I have to commit to a whole year?

I do have my Final Resolution... ramble... written and it's good to know that you, me and Fuji all actually sorta kinda liked the main event although we disagreed with the outcome. See, we aren't so different after all.

WAKE UP

Status

Remember when everyone thought that cage top hurricarana spot was the craziest thing they ever saw? I expect the match still holds up outside that but it's weird in hindsight how revered that one spot was.

King EC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Remember when everyone thought that cage top hurricarana spot was the craziest thing they ever saw? I expect the match still holds up outside that but it's weird in hindsight how revered that one spot was.
    The match is very good outside of that spot even. But honestly, walking the top of the cage to hit a frankensteiner is ballsy no matter how you look at it. Lots of ways that could end badly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information