Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pokemon Emerald Randomised Nuzlocke Challenge

Don’t make me Chang this

Status
      Country                    UK

The Pokemon Emerald Randomised Nuzlocke Challenge

So, one thing that I have started doing again whilst staying at home more is playing Pokemon. I've had a Pokemon Emerald rom on my laptop for ages, and have recently found out how to randomise the rom to give some pretty interesting results. I'm a fan of watching Pokemon playthroughs and challenges on Youtube, and a couple of the content creators I follow play Nuzlocke challenges, often on randomised roms. So, I thought that I would give a randomised rom of Pokemon Emerald a go and I would make it a Nuzlocke challenge for added FUN~!

For those unfamiliar with what a Nuzlocke challenge is, which I would imagine is most, if not all, of you, the rules for the challenge are summarised here:

The Challenge:

The goal of the challenge is to complete the main story and objectives in the game; for me in this challenge I will be attempting to gain all eight Gym Badges, defeat the Elite Four and then the Hoenn Pokemon Champion, Wallace.

The Rules:

1) I am only allowed to catch one Pokemon per route/area, and that Pokemon must be the first Pokemon encountered in each new route/area. I can use Repels to delay catches in certain areas and can use a fishing rod to catch Pokemon in cities and towns without grass or other wild Pokemon areas. There are two exceptions to the 'first encounter' rule:

-'The Species Clause'. If the first Pokemon I encounter is a Pokemon I have already caught, or in the same family as a Pokemon I already have (e.g. I have caught a Charmander at any point, and I encounter a Charmeleon as my first encounter in a new area). I am allowed to either kill the Charmeleon for experience or run away. The next wild Pokemon encountered after that will then be my eligible encounter for that area. I however cannot catch the Charmeleon, if the Species Clause activates.
    -'The Shiny Clause'. If I encounter a shiny Wild Pokemon, regardless of whether it is my first encounter on a route, whether I have caught a Pokemon on the route already or whether the Species Clause applies; I am allowed to catch the shiny Pokemon.

2) Every Pokemon I obtain must be nicknamed. I will name them after fellow WC members.

3) If a Pokemon faints, it is permanently eliminated from the challenge, and I must release it.

4) If all Pokemon in my party faint and I black out, I am permitted to continue the challenge using Pokemon from my PC.

5) If I completely run out of Pokemon, the challenge is over and I have lost.

I want to make this interactive when I can, so I will be deferring to all of you for choices to make during the game. The first one will be which randomised starter Pokemon I will be using. So, I will play to the point where Professor Birch is attacked by the threatening Zigzagoon and then let you all know what the options are.

In terms of what has been randomised, the list is; Starter Pokemon, Wild Pokemon, Trainer Pokemon, Pokemon Abilities, Trainer Names, Trainer Classes, Held Items, Field Items and TMs. Where a static Pokemon is a legendary Pokemon (e.g. Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza), these will be randomised to another legendary Pokemon.

I think this post covers everything you will all need to know about what I am trying to do, but please let me know if you have any questions!

First Attempt:

Chapter One: The Adventure Begins...
    Chapter Two: Into the Woods
    Chapter Three: Rockin' out in Rustboro
    Chapter Four: Dewford Blues
    Chapter Five: The Road to Mauville City
    Chapter Six: The Mauville Gym Showdown
    Chapter Seven: A Legendary Encounter
    Chapter Eight: Doubling Down on Dad
    Chapter Nine: The Good Samaritan
    Chapter Ten: The Recurring Remoraid Rampage
    Chapter Eleven: Double Trouble in Mossdeep City
    Last edited by Man; 04-22-2020 at 09:17 AM.

RIC FLAIR AND THE NEW HORSEMEN: THE NATURE BOY'S LAST RIDE
    NOW PLAYING IN THE BTB SECTION

WC's Favourite Video Games of the 2010's - The Countdown | The Pokemon Emerald Randomizer Nuzlocke Challenge

I won some BTB awards a while ago...

Hi.

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: The Pokemon Emerald Randomised Nuzlocke Challenge

Looking forward to this, my man.

Huggin' and Kissin'

Status
      Country                    Ireland

In for the ride.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Subscribing, love a good nuzlocke

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Should be a fun read brother.

Don’t make me Chang this

Status

Thanks for the early comments of support, peeps. Now, I need you all to do me a favour and help me pick my Starter Pokemon! I have started my adventure as the future Pokemon Champion MAN, arrived in LITTLEROOT TOWN in the moving truck, set my clock, met MAY for the first time and now I am where I get to choose my starter to save PROFESSOR BIRCH from the Zigzagoon (why is he even scared of it?) and the three options are:

PINECO

FORRETRESS

DELCATTY

So, not the best choices there. In terms of moves each of these Pokemon learn by levelling up, there isn't a great variety (as Pineco/Forretress have the same move base and Delcatty can't learn any moves via levelling up) and with the TMs being randomised there is no guarantee that I will be able to improve on the movesets as I progress. I am going to lock in Delcatty as my vote, though. I'll give everyone a few hours to make their choices. Just post in the thread your choice as well as any Pokemon (Gen 1-3) that you would like to have nicknamed after you. You can choose more than one Pokemon for your namesake (I'll just call them Shock, Shock II etc.).

WC's Favourite Video Games of the 2010's - The Countdown | The Pokemon Emerald Randomizer Nuzlocke Challenge

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Voting for FORRETRESS.

Down for Snorlax, any Hitmon family pokemon, Machop, or Ghastly.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

where did the name Nuzlocke come from? always been curious.

WC without Duke is like McDonalds without the Big Mac. - DD

Don’t make me Chang this

Status

Quote Originally Posted by John Mayer View Post
    where did the name Nuzlocke come from? always been curious.
    I believe it was by the guy who came up with the idea/rules for the challenge and created a comic or story of some sort for what he was doing and posted it on 4chan or reddit. Basically, within this documentation of it all, he had a Nuzleaf in the challenge but gave it a character similar to John Locke from Lost. The name then came from there. Someone like Shock might be well placed to correct me on that, in case I have got it wrong.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Man View Post
    I believe it was by the guy who came up with the idea/rules for the challenge and created a comic or story of some sort for what he was doing and posted it on 4chan or reddit. Basically, within this documentation of it all, he had a Nuzleaf in the challenge but gave it a character similar to John Locke from Lost. The name then came from there. Someone like Shock might be well placed to correct me on that, in case I have got it wrong.
    You are absolutely right.

Anyway, I vote for our new cat overlord, Delcatty. Just for the fact we can breed it with a Wailord if we want to.

Pokemon to be named after me if possible: Masquerain/Surksit; Bulbasaur line; and any of the Clefairy line

Hi.

Status

+1 for Delcatty.I'll take any of the Squirtle line and or Totodile line.

Don’t make me Chang this

Status

Alright, I think that locks that in. I choose the DELCATTY and Doubleslap the Zigzagoon down in two turns and head back to BIRCH's lab where he offers me the Delcatty to keep and I name him Renji. We're going to take a closer look at what Renji has in terms of moves and stats before kicking the challenge off properly:

Renji
    DELCATTY

Level:5
    Caught: LITTLEROOT TOWN (Starter Pokemon)

Moves:
    Growl
    Attract
    Sing
    Doubleslap

Ability:
    Rough Skin

With my only attacking move being 10PP Doubleslap, I could find myself in trouble against Pokemon with high defence and might find myself needing to Struggle my way out of things (thank goodness for the speed up button as I will have to exhaust all of my other moves before I can cause damage). Although with Attract, Sing and Growl I am able to defend myself either by preventing attacks altogether or decreasing the attack of the opponent's Pokemon. Also, having Rough Skin as an ability will surely prove to be useful too, especially as I have the potential to deal out damage even if I run out of Doubleslap PP. Renji was also holding an Escape Rope, which I am sure will come in handy at some point...

I'm going to go and battle MAY next for the Starter battle, and then once she gives me the Pokeballs afterward, the Nuzlocke Challenge will officially begin.
    Last edited by Man; 03-23-2020 at 03:41 PM.

Don’t make me Chang this

Status

Chapter One:
    THE ADVENTURE BEGINS...

After leaving PROFESSOR BIRCH (I have almost typed 'BITCH' so many times already), I head over to MAY on ROUTE 103, north of OLDALE TOWN for our first true battle with Renji. Luckily, she has the PINECO and not the FORRETRESS for now, although she is going to have the evolved form later on in the game. I manged to land an Attract early on in among the Protects which prevented it from hitting subsequent Protects and I was able to polish it off with a few Doubleslaps. After my victory, which elevated Renji up to Level 6, we tracked back to LITTLEROOT TOWN and back into the lab. Birch gave me a Pokedex and May the Pokeballs, meaning that the Nuzlocke is officially underway from this point.

The beginning section of the game is useful for this challenge as we are able to get three encounters initially off of the bat, in ROUTE 101 (between Littleroot and Oldale), ROUTE 103 (north of Oldale where I just battled May for the first time) and then on ROUTE 102 (west of Oldale towards PETALBURG CITY). I am pleased to say that I managed to catch all three of my first eligible encounters, using the same tactic of Renji using Sing to put them asleep and then only requiring one Pokeball... and it is a mixed bag.

Shawn
    VOLBEAT

Level: 2
    Caught: ROUTE 101

Moves:
    Tackle

Ability:
    Stench

Tig
    BAGON

Level: 3
    Caught: ROUTE 103

Moves:
    Rage

Ability:
    Synchronize

Todd
    HITMONCHAN

Level: 4
    Caught: ROUTE 102

Moves:
    Revenge
    Comet Punch

Ability:
    Drizzle

The first eligible encounter in one of these challenges is one of the most exciting moments on paper, so you can surely appreciate how a Level 2 VOLBEAT was a bit of a let down, but I have faith in Shawn and sure that we will find a use for him at some point, although he's marked down for death fodder right now if I need to ever sacrifice someone in order to heal or eat a hit.

I am very excited about Tig the BAGON, for obvious reasons given what this girl (sorry mate) will eventually evolve into if I put the work in. Then a HITMONCHAN coming this early in the game with his high attack stat is going to be very useful. I called him Todd as per Jon's request.

I do have an issue though. I am screwed if I run into a trainer with a Ghost type, as all of my attacking moves across all four Pokemon are either Normal or Fighting physical attacks, which don't affect Ghosts. So, to avoid screwing myself this early into the game, I need to do some grinding in order for someone to learn a move that can hit a Ghost type. Luckily, Bagon learns Bite at Level 5. I achieve this by doing some switch training with my Hitmonchan, also raising Todd to Level 5 at the same time. However, whilst training on ROUTE 102, something very unlikely happens...

Shiny Ed
    GRAVELER

Level: 4
    Caught: ROUTE 102 (SHINY CLAUSE ACTIVATED)

Moves:
    Tackle
    Defence Curl
    Mud Sport
    Rock Throw

Ability:
    Clear Body

I have genuinely never caught a Shiny Pokemon before, so this was quite crazy for me. Who better to name a Shiny Pokemon, a GRAVELER no less, after than our amazing Admin, Ed? It is great to get this bonus number on the team, and also to have a second move to hit Ghost types with with his Rock Throw.

I am putting the game down on this high, as it is a good moment to end the post on. Not every update will be this short in terms of game progress made, but given the high number of encounters and additions to the team, I didn't want it to be an information overload. To summarise, this is where we are now in terms of the team:

Renji (DELCATTY) - Level 6
    Shawn (VOLBEAT) - Level 2
    Tig (BAGON) - Level 5
    Todd (HITMONCHAN) - Level 5
    Shiny Ed (SHINY GRAVELER) - Level 4

I think that using the Hitmonchan and switch training the Bagon as the two main Pokemon, with the Delcatty and Graveler as the second tier is the way I am going to approach the early game and the first gym at least (although there are four more encounters available before I have to challenge the first Gym in Rustboro, so the team may change as I can sub Pokemon in). Next post I will probably take us up to the point where we arrive in Rustboro and take us to where we can challenge Roxanne, so it will be an encounter-heavy post again.
    Last edited by Man; 03-26-2020 at 08:52 AM.

Status
      Country                    United States

Grats on the shiny, bruh. Pretty rare to find one in the middle of a run and not as part of the shiny grind (only done it once myself, a lovely lil Crobat I hope to bring into SwSh someday).

Nuzlockes are fun. Had one on here once that I abandoned cause I'm me.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

Hi.

Status

Bagon and Hitmonchan are good pickups and Volbeat will be a good option for a sacrificial lamb as it were. Congratulations on the shiny, I've only ever had 1 shiny and it was a Pidgey..Looking ahead to the next post!

HOSS MOD

Status

I do love me a good Nuzlocke challenge. Just completed one of Sword and Shield (Toxtricity was the only survivor).

If you find a Spoink or Grumpig, you automatically win. That boy is a absolute unit.
    Last edited by Cyrus Truth; 03-24-2020 at 12:39 AM.

Status

Bagon is a good pickup in theory but in my experience pseudo-legendaries early in a Nuzlocke can be more trouble than they're worth. He's a slight upgrade over say a Beldum I suppose, but truthfully most Pokes cut from that cloth are borderline worthless for almost 50 levels before they turn into killing machines. Keeping one upright and leveled-up can be damn tricky, especially in a randomized environment.

Best of luck though, if you can get him to Salamence he'll be a sharp weapon for your climactic battles.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

Don’t make me Chang this

Status

Speaking of pseudo-legendaries I’ve got another save on the go as well (undocumented), but my starter choice for that was a Metagross and it’s an absolute beast to have right from the beginning of the game. I’ve paired it up with a Marshstomp (now a Swampert) that I caught and have swept the first half of the game with them and not lost a Pokemon in the process.

That run has made me realise how important the ‘supporting cast’ can be (excluding the HM slave of course) as I have a Breloom and Sudowoodo as the back ups.

So I’m going to try to replicate that with this run. Bagon will be protected the best I can to make sure he gets up the levels and Hitmonchan will be my main attacker for the time being unless something good comes up in any of the next four, with Delcatty and Graveler supporting.

There’s the route west of Petalburg, Petalburg Woods, the route north of Rustboro and then Rusturf Tunnel I can get, all before I need to fight Roxanne. So I’ll be on nine captures in total if all goes well so I’ll have my contingency plan ready in case it all goes belly up at some point. Lots of Pokes available in the early game with this one.

Squash Fodder

Status

Never heard of the challenge before but it seems fun. I've been playing FireRed lately. I'll take any of the Nidoran family, Onix or bayleef. Or surprise me lol

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Breloom is one of my all time favourite Pokemon so I hope he gets some time.

Drizzle Hitmonchan sounds like a beast, I think he could be your early game MVP.

I can't see Bagon lasting long enough to get a Salamence. 50 levels is a long time for a Nuzlocke and I worry that switch training Bagon could end up killing another teammate

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information