Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Benoit: Dark Side of the Ring

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Benoit: Dark Side of the Ring

Yeh, I never knew Sullivan would physically abuse Nancy. And before reading the comments in this thread I didn't even think of them trying to paint it as a romantic relationship. Now I certainly can see the way they were trying to push it in that direction. Even Chavo who was related to Eddie was like yeah that reaction by Benoit was weird.

I'm a little surprised that people didn't know about the Sullivan abuse. It's the biggest reason why Benoit was never vilified for stealing another man's wife.

Status

I always thought Sullivan just got cucked.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I'm a little surprised that people didn't know about the Sullivan abuse. It's the biggest reason why Benoit was never vilified for stealing another man's wife.
    I had heard rumblings about it. Sad as it is, I think the bigger reason Benoit wasn't vilified was because the people who knew stories like that (smart fans) were generally massive Benoit fans so they didn't care.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Very Important Lobster

Status

Just wanted to confirm that part 2 does air tonight on Vice. They're airing part 1 and 2 back to back starting at 9 pm est, and also supposedly have an "after dark" show that'll have a round table discussion of the show afterwards, similar to what "talking dead" is and things like that.

Turns out I actually get Vice on Sling so I'll be watching it tonight.

Very Important Lobster

Status

After watching part one again, plus part two as it debuted, the whole thing was very well done. It was a real tear jerker at points, everything with David was tough especially when it came to him and Daniel.

Same as part one, if you've heard everything from the story already, theres not a ton of new info (although they did have texts from Nancy and Chris talking about his steroid issues that I hadn't seen before), but it was still a good thread of telling the story and getting different perspectives from it. Very much enjoyed this, albeit tough to watch at some points

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

watching part 2 right now. it's crazy how detailed they went into how he did it. stuff I've never heard before.

Hail To The King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by John Mayer View Post
    watching part 2 right now. it's crazy how detailed they went into how he did it. stuff I've never heard before.
    Me too this is really intense

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Status

I just finished part 2.

All the stuff about Eddie from part 1, I had heard Chavo Jr and Dean talk about before. So while it was hard to listen too. I was more prepared for it I guess.

Part 2 really hit me hard. Even though he’s always been the reason I got into wrestling, I never really paid too much attention to the details of how he killed his family and himself. I just kind of put it off somewhere and didn’t focus on it. The reasons will always be up in the air as to why he did what he did, but ultimately it happened. This is just from me, a fan. I can’t imagine being David. I feel so badly for him. Especially hearing that only Jericho and Chavo reached out. Chris may be the guilty one, but David is innocent. He didn’t do anything wrong.

I felt as if part 2 really made the gay vibes in part 1 feel unintentional. Watching it in one full part, Benoit's over the top reaction to Eddie's death ended up being unofficially paired with his CTE. You can go back to pre-Eddie death to find Benoit's diary entries where he's mentioning how forgetful he's becoming and perhaps a part of him realized that something wasn't right in his head.

The frustrating thing about a show like this is that even with all of their details, there's still so many unanswered questions. Especially in the second half after the roid rage segment, they were really hammering home that CTE was the cause of everything. If that's the case, when was the CTE getting really bad for Benoit? Although Sandra didn't state the date for when the domestic violence occurred where Johnny Grunge tried to intervene and she helped get Woman and Benoit back together, I'm guessing that's 2003 because that's when Woman filed divorced and got a restraining order against Benoit. That's not only four years before the murder happened, but it's also before the deaths of Eddie, Boss Man, and Johnny Grunge.

It's all just one giant mess, but it's also what continues to make this a fascinating story to look into because there's so few concrete answers.

The most rewarding part of the episode was Sandra and David coming back together. I do kind of worry about David because he's dealing with so much and he seems so lost.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

It hurt a little bit listening to other people talk about Benoit like they were. One thing I actually forgot was poorly the WWE handled everything surrounding this, and that's not even giving them grief for the Benoit memorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan Superman View Post
    It hurt a little bit listening to other people talk about Benoit like they were. One thing I actually forgot was poorly the WWE handled everything surrounding this, and that's not even giving them grief for the Benoit memorial.
    That whole media campaign to try and make themselves look good blew up so badly in their face with the likes of Mr. Kennedy, one of the most vocal advocates, being named as one of the mass buyers in that ESPN steroids article.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

The most rewarding part of the episode was Sandra and David coming back together. I do kind of worry about David because he's dealing with so much and he seems so lost.
    When I posted I was taking an emotional baggage break from the documentary, but the way they ended it with their embrace and reunion was really a good send off for the documentary. I'm hoping that all the talking David is doing about it is helping him cope.
    Last edited by Suntan Superman; 03-25-2020 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan Superman View Post
    When I posted I was taking an emotional baggage break from the documentary, but the way they ended it with their embrace and reunion was really a good send off for the documentary. I'm hoping that all the talking Daniel is doing about it is helping him cope.
    I don't think Daniel is going to be helped at all...

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I don't think Daniel is going to be helped at all...
    Rest his soul, hopefully.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Sandra deserves a medal. What an unbelievably brave human being.

Same with David Benoit too.

Incredible pair of episodes. Nothing particularly new, but hearing it from those sources made it feel even more real

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Caught up on those and it did bring it back about how sad the whole thing was, and what still stands out Chris attempted to reach out for help when it was pretty much too late. Also poor Nancy, abuse from Sullivan, then abuse from Chris towards the end too.

I want to touch on something Jericho stated, Nancy should be recognised and be in the HOF as arguably the second lady of wrestling after Elizabeth, and that is something I have to agree with given how good she was at what she did.

I also though it was a nice touch by Jericho to reuninte David and Sandra.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Glitching It

Status
      Country                    UK

Both parts to this were really captivating and it was really interesting to hear more about Benoit's state of mind when he did all of this. It is clear that Eddie's death broke him, given how Chavo said he reacted to the whole thing. I didn't get the impression that there was anything romantic implied, but Chris had an obsession with Eddie. That much is clear to me.

The details of how Benoit committed the atrocities was hard to listen to, and the Google searches that he made afterward are absolutely chilling in hindsight, knowing what he had done before he searched for those things.

On a relatively lighter note, this is another reason why Chris Jericho is genuinely my favourite person on this planet. What an amazing thing to do to bring them together after realising it is what was needed the most for both of them. As Jericho said, Sandra and David are victims in all of this, too. Seeing them rebuilding their relationship out of all of this was an extremely moving thing to watch.

I also wholeheartedly agree with Jericho that Nancy should be going into HOF. Don't call her Nancy Benoit, call her Woman if that is what the hang up is, I don't care, but she deserves recognition for her career and accomplishments and for that to be swept under the carpet because of what Chris did to her, is just plain wrong. Woman deserves a spot in the HOF and Sandra deserves to accept that accolade on behalf of her sister.

Vote for WC’s Favourite Video Game of the 2010’s!
    CLICK HERE FOR THE COUNTDOWN!

I guess the concern with inducting Woman is that it's going to overshadow everything else that's going on at that year's HOF. Would it be necessarily fair to some other wrestler to have their HOF swept under the rug because of a murder victim's induction? Ironically, for as much as I hate multiple time inductions, a year with a bunch of second time inductions would be ideal to induct Woman since they already had their moment in the spotlight. I do think that if the WWE were to ever induct Woman, it could be the start of referencing her career without it being connected to Benoit and what had happened to her. The reality is that the Benoit portion of Woman's career was very short. As an act, they were together for roughly a year, a little longer if you count from when she first returned to WCW to join back up with the Horsemen.

Woman's best chances of being inducted would be if she was inducted as part of a group. Kevin Sullivan's Army of Darkness would be the way to go.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

If Nancy's family is comfortable with it, then she should. I think there's a way to tastefully induct her and recognise her contributions. However given their reaction to JR at the funeral I'm not sure they'd want it. Yeah it was a long time ago and we've heard from Sandra, but not the rest of her family.

It's like the Martha Hart situation. I have zero issues with the family not wanting WWE to profit in any way from the death of a loved one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information