Thread: Suntan Superman Reviews: The 2010 Green Bay Packers

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

NFL Suntan Superman Reviews: The 2010 Green Bay Packers

Welcome to something that may be a one-off, may be a continuous thing, really who knows, but with NFL Gamepass being free during this weird bizarro world we live in, I decided to put my time to good use, at least for myself.

We're starting out with one of my favorite football teams, and consequently one of my favorite seasons, the 2010 Green Bay Packers. Aaron Rodgers was in his third year as the full-time starter, coming off a season in which he threw for 4.434 yards, and 30 TDs in 16 games. The Packers having the third ranked offense in 2009, returned all of their offensive starters for 2010, including Ryan Grant at running back, Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, and James Jones at WR(Damn!) Jermichael Finley was back and expected to have a huge year at Tight End, and we were nearing the end of the Packers bookend tackles of Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher. The interior of the line contained Scott Wells, Daryn Colledge and Josh Sitton.

On defense, a different story emerged, as fan favorite and former starter Aaron Kampman departed for Jacksonville, and Johnny Jolly was suspended indefinitely by then NFL for a second-degree felony charge in 2008. Long-time cornerback Al Harris was injured in the pre-season and wouldn't play in his final season at Lambeau. On the plus side, this was the second-year of Dom Capers hybrid 3-4/4-3 defense, and B.J. Raji and Clay Matthews were entering their second years as professionals. The terminology and playcalling was bound to be smoother, and after ranking 2nd in total defense, they simply needed to improve on not giving up scoring plays, as they finished 7th in defensive PPG.

After a heartbreaking end to the 2009 season, losing to the Kurt Warner-led Arizona Cardinals 51-45 in Overtime, what could be in store for our beloved Green Bay Packers? Stay tuned!
    Last edited by Suntan Superman; 03-19-2020 at 12:03 PM.

Very Important Lobster

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Suntan Superman Reviews: The 2010 Green Bay Packers

This one is tough. This year was the last year that the steelers made it to the super bowl. At that point they had won in 05 and 08, now threatening for a third in 6 seasons. That game could've went either way, plenty of big plays that tilted the outcome like Reshard Mendenhall fumbling late.

Crazy to think about how different it would be right now. Had the steelers won that game, they'd have 7 super bowls instead of 6, Ben would have 3 rings in his first 7 seasons in the nfl, and that alone would probably start to put him in the discussion for one of the greatest of all time.

For Green Bay, this was Rodgers only Super Bowl, and I honestly imagine itll stay that way. As great a career hes had, had the packers not won this game, I think the narrative of his career is completely different. Instead hes in the Dan Marino category of guys who were really good, but couldn't win the big one.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, and Pam Oliver at the game for FOX. Packers in white, Eagles in throwback kelly greens with the silver wing. Kevin Kolb has replaced Donovan McNabb as the Eagles starting QB for Andy Reid.

McCarthy goes with three passes to start off the Packers first drive, and they all end up incomplete. Rodgers underthrew all three balls, though arguably Jermichael Finley should've dug out the first one. We have a gamebreak for the controversial end to the Bears/Lions game, in which Calvin Johnson catches the ball from Shaun Hill, but then "drops" it getting back up, you can check out that call here

Eagles first drive, and Aikman and Buck talk about the decision to move BJ Raji inside as a nose tackle, and him being flanked by Cullen Jenkins and Ryan Pickett. The Linebackers I remember fondly with Clay Matthews and Brad Jones as the outside linebackers, and Nick Barnett and A.J. Hawk on the inside. Eagles return the three and out favor after a 3rd and 10 where the Packers initially rush 3, but Matthews comes in a giant hole created by Raji going to his right to sack Kevin Kolb. LeSean McCoy was supposed to pick up Matthews, but left on a short drag route.

Packers second drive finds their first 1st Down of the year on a five-yard slant to Donald Driver after an offside penalty on the Eagles. Ryan Grant's first carry comes after four straight pass plays, the drive ends after Rodgers takes a sack, then has a pass intended for Jermichael Finley tipped by Quentin Mikell, and picked off by Joselio Hanson.

Eagles second drive contains some of what I recall we'd see from the Eagles throughout the year, and end around to Jeremy Maclin, and Vick comes in for Kolb and has an option play where he runs for six yards. The interesting part of this Eagles team right now is you can just tell that Kolb has jitters. Long-time Eagles kicker David "Green" Akers comes on to hit a FG.

Eagles 3 - 0 Packers

As we're closing the second half, we're really seeing why everyone was so high on Jermichael Finley, supremely athletic, his catch mechanics aren't very good, and that will come back to haunt him, but he runs good TE routes, and is bigger than any corner, and more athletic than most linebackers.

At the end of the first quarter, unfortunately the Gamepass viewing cut out, hopefully after awhile I'll be able to resume it.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

From what I remember, that season's Falcons team was probably the second best of the Matt Ryan era. And they got absolutely boat-raced, at home, by the Packers.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Status

What a coincidence, this is one of my favorite teams too <3 <3 <3

When all is said and done you should def touch on 2011 a little too. 2011 was a funner season than this one, because the team battled so little adversity, but then of course the results couldn't be more different. A little insight into where things went wrong on the repeat attempt could be a cool addition.

Either way, looking forward to all this. My all-time favorite football game happened in this season.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

WC Hall of Famer

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Week 2 - Buffalo at Green Bay

So, I wasn't able to get the rest of the week 1 game to work so sadly that one will be cut short, but the Packers won 27-20. Rodgers threw 2 picks. The main news story out of the game though is that last years leading rusher, and starting HB Ryan Grant was injured and two days after was put on Season-Ending IR. Justin Harrell was also placed on IR, HB Dimitri Nance, and DE Jarius Wynn were signed to replace them. HB Brandon Jackson is announced as the starter for this game.

We get CBS for this game, as the NFC team is at home with Spero Dedes and Randy Cross on the call. I don't remember much about this Bills team, then again, I've tried to erase these hideous Bills uniforms from my mind.

Spero just said that the Bills may have the best defensive backfield in NFL, so we'll see how Rodgers and co decide to attack it. First Drive has Kyle Williams with two very bad offside calls. There's a bit of forgiveness that exists when you can see the QB hard count to draw an offside, but Williams is just ready to get after Rodgers. A nice balanced approach from the Packers ends with a FG by Mason Crosby. You wanted a little more from the Packers, but McCarthy is known for starting games conservatively.

Oh man, Trent Edwards as the starting QB for the Buffalo Bills. I was holding out hope that we were still in the J.P. Losman or Ryan Fitzpatrick era. The old fashioned running back by committee for the Bills consists of Fred Jackson, rookie CJ Spiller, and Marshawn Lynch. I assume this is the year that Lynch gets traded to the Seahawks. The Packers defense starts out by ruining the Bills offense. With how the defense went out, it's easy to forget how innovative and smart a lot of the Packers schemes were under Capers.

Highlighting the first play of the Packers drive here, because this was how McCarthy should've started most drives. Rodgers and Driver connect on this very simple out route that goes for a small gain, but you really want the defensive backfield to push up the field so you can stretch them later on a Greg Jennings or James Jones post route. On the very next play, they run a play action roll right, and Jermichael Finley is wide open after beating Blake Costanzo off the line of scrimmage. Shortly after Rodgers nearly throws a bad pick forcing the ball in to Jermichael Finley. After two good plays, the Packers are forced into another FG.

The rest of the first quarter isn't terribly exciting. McCarthy makes a terrible challenge where it was very easy to see that James Jones, while making an excellent catch came down out of bounds. The Packers score a TD with :11 left on a Brandon Jackson weak side run, with a beautiful lead block by John Kuhn.

End of 1st, Packers 13, Bills 0

Both teams should be settling in right now, but the Bills have -13 yards and Trent Edwards looks so far out of his depth. Dom Capers disguising blitzes within his 3-4 defense is completely obliterating Trent's senses. Marshawn Lynch is unsurprisingly the best part of their first drive in the second quarter. The first long pass by Edwards is called for Pass Interference on Charles Woodson. Chan Gailey calls a good drive for the Bills, and caps it with Fred Jackson scoring a TD on a sweep play. Lynch was the catalyst for the whole drive though, a few strong runs really set them up nicely. Let's get some F's in the chat though for this KFC Double Down ad, I sure could go for a Double Down right now

Speaking of fun little asides, Greg Jennings drops a pass over near the sideline and you see a guy clapping sarcastically on the sideline, and it turns out that's Brian Brohm. For those at home, here's a fun clip where Merril Hoge and Todd McShay talk about Brohm potentially being better than Aaron Rodgers

After a good drive, the Bills look like their showing life, and then it just gets cut short by Trent Edwards getting an intentional grounding penalty on a 1st and 10 where he should've just taken the sack. Edwards does look a little hurt after the play, something to keep an eye on as Ryan Fitzpatrick warms up. Two plays later, and Brian Moorman is on to punt again. Moorman is a helluva punter, by the by.

After largely getting played off the field in the first half, Buffalo's defense is locking down the receivers, and they are exploiting Rodgers' early weakness which was locking on to receivers. The Bills go on to end the half by running down the clock, and after another punt by Moorman, the Packers oblige to end the half, by running the ball, and run out the clock.

Halftime Packers 13, Bills 7

Going into the second half, I hope the Packers offense starts going down the field more, you can't always set up conservatively for every drive, every now and then you just gotta take a shot, and McCarthy just will not do it. From the Bills, it's clear they need to run the ball more, Trent is not a great QB, and if you can make Green Bay's defense commit to playing more lineman to stop the run, you can get your slot and tight end mismatches that Edwards should be able to hit.

Buffalo's first drive kind of stalled out, and then gets blown up by a great stunt blitz, then a ball going right through Steve Johnson's hands and gets picked by Brandon Chillar. For as bad as some of the play has been today, this is somehow the first turnover.

The Packers take over around midfield, and there's two very conservative plays that lead to a 3rd and 7, where they finally get a little downfield on an excellent pass and catch between Rodgers and Jennings. Another mid-range play call, at first down that goes to Jordy Nelson for 10 yards, and you can see that the while the defensive backfield may be a strength for the Bills, the linebackers are not to covering people across the middle. The drive ends with the ever-reliable Donald Driver simply beating his man one-on-one(something he hasn't done much this game) A basic slot-in route is perfectly thrown and caught for 6.

The Bills get the ball back, and it's clear that Edwards time has to be coming to a close in Buffalo. His awareness is almost nothing, and for whatever reason, only down two scores, the Bills just don't run the ball as much as they need to, the passing game is just not open at the moment. The Packers get the ball back and attack Leodis McKelvin in the slot with a Jordy Nelson deep hook, then beat Donte Whitner covering Jermichael Finley on a slant, the Packers march up the field and it's capped by Aaron Rodgers flushing out to the right and taking it in from 9 yards for the score.

Bills come back with a flat offense, and after one good play to Steve Johnson(a short slant), Trent Edwards gets a little dip pass to Roscoe Parrish and Morgan Burnett intercepts it ripping it basically from the hands of Parrish.

End of 3rd Quarter Packers 27, Bills 7

Technically the interception happened as the second play of the fourth quarter, but whatever. Jermichael Finley is once again providing mismatch after mismatch, too tall for the safeties and nickel/dime backs to cover, too fast for linebackers. The Bills defense is becoming passive, and you can tell, when you look at their execution here

I'm no NFL HB, but I could find, and run through that hole. No safety help til it's too late, and no one is even really working to close the hole on Kuhn as he basically has the rest of the fourth quarter to decide to cut back through the A gap here. Kuhn fumbles at the end, but immediately covers it up, the very next play, the Bills get a double penalty, but they're both declined as Rodgers finds James Jones on another beautiful back shoulder pass, that Jones takes to the house.

The Bills come back, get a 1st down, then get a turnover on downs on a THREE MAN RUSH. Put a fork in this Bills team, they are done. Clay Matthews gets around the edge easier than anyone I've seen, and I have no idea what this offensive playcall is even supposed to be with the way the tackles block both ends. Trent Edwards has been sacked six times in this game.

The rest of the fourth quarter was rather uneventful, the Bills had a decent 11-play drive that ended on a turnover on downs with less than two minutes left to go, and the Packers take two kneel downs to run out the clock.

Packers 34, Bills 7, FINAL

Bills Takeaways:
    Their offense in odd quarters was terrible. Chan Gailey is oft hailed as an offensive mastermind, but it's crazy to me that he couldn't get this game under control offensively. The offense has some great weapons, Fred Jackson, CJ Spiller, Marshawn Lynch, Steve Johnson, Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish and a decent offensive line, but Trent Edwards is a terrible QB. Decision-making wasn't good, and as Lee Evans eluded to in a press conference before this, he's just afraid to throw the ball deep. Edwards would go on to be replaced in Week 3 by Ryan Fitzpatrick, and as I guessed earlier, in Week 4 Marshawn Lynch was traded to the Seattle Seahawks. This would be Lee Evans last year in Buffalo, and last year as an effective player, he would be traded in the off-season to the Ravens for a 4th round pick in 2012. Bills would go on to be 4-12, and take Marcell Dareus in the first round of the 2011 draft.

Packers Takeaways:
    The defense is real good, like REAL good. Clay Matthews really emerged in these first two games as a huge playmaker, and had the speed and agility to get around the corner and hit the QB with great efficiency. The drive the Bills scored, the Packers kept lining up with two down lineman, and Dom Capers adjusted to make sure that wouldn't happen again. The offense showed signs of life in the second half, but one of the issues that would go on to plague McCarthy's tenure in Green Bay, overly conservative playcalling. The Bills showed more respect for Rodgers' ability to throw deep than McCarthy. I'm curious on the re-watch if we can attribute the teams losses in the regular season to having the reigns too tight on Rodgers and the offense after the loss of Ryan Grant. One final thought, for having been in the NFL for 25 years, and one of it's best defensive coordinators, Dom Capers doesn't seem to know how to wear a headset.

Last edited by Suntan Superman; 03-24-2020 at 02:50 PM.

American Ninja

Status

Oh this is very cool. I wanted to watch through the 2010 Texans season but Game Pass app on my Roku fucking sucks, lots of loading and videos just crash, most of the games from 2009-2010-2011 that I try to load just wont play at all. I dig what you are doing here though, will be reading.

Very Important Lobster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Oh this is very cool. I wanted to watch through the 2010 Texans season but Game Pass app on my Roku fucking sucks, lots of loading and videos just crash, most of the games from 2009-2010-2011 that I try to load just wont play at all. I dig what you are doing here though, will be reading.
    Yeah the roku app is terrible, as I just tried to use it. I tried the ps4 app today and it seems to work better so far

Thread Information