Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: WWE Wrestlemania 36 Discussion

WAKE UP

Status

Re: WWE Wrestlemania 36 Discussion

I'll just keep my take very short. I didn't care for the Boneyard match for a number of reasons. The FFH match leaned way more into the goofy/psychological stuff and I actually enjoyed it and it was good that Cena really went for it as well. I have no interest in this "cinema presentation wrestling" or whatever term it'll be labeled with. BUT... this was probably the best use of the Bray/Fiend character (much better than all other shitty matches beforehand). If we save this stuff to one big match per quarter (Rumble/WM/Summerslam/Survivor Series) for Bray I could maybe accept that.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peanutbutter View Post
    Did it really tell the story as well as it could have been told? I certainly wouldn't go that far. But, I would agree that it beats watching an actual Cena vs. Fiend match. That's not saying a lot though.
    Given the poor and random build around the match? I would say it did yes. You could certainly argue that it was better place as a go-home segment in the build up to the match but honestly i think it worked perfectly well in place of a full blown match itself.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
      Country                    United States

I thought both were a lot of fun, if I had to pick a favorite I’d give the slight edge to the funhouse but I thoroughly enjoyed both of them.

Rollins/KO was great as well, I also dug the LMS even if it did drag a little towards the end. Kabuki/Bliss and Cross was also a really good match as well.

Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

MR WRESTLEMANIA

Status
      Country                    England

Ok so I finished last night at Otis/Dolph.

Edge/Orton was fucking dreadful and one of the worst matches in Wrestlemania history. If you're gonna suck and have a bad match, make it quick. About 10 minutes in I felt like we'd already hit 30 minutes and I said in the group chat, how long is this fucking match going on for and it just went on and on and on. If you're going 36 fucking minutes, why do the starting angle where Orton sneaks an RKO in to really take the advantage on Edge. How do you do that and then wrestle for 36 minutes. The walk and brawl around the PC might of been a nice idea for 10 minutes, but it's just too much of the same stuff with maybe 2 high spots in the whole match, it was so dull. I really didn't care for the strangling spot by the weight machines a week after the Benoit documentary came out. And what's Edge fucking crying for? Has he caught the Gargano virus from the performance centre where he's questioning his morals during a match. He attacked your wife.....but ok we'll cry about having to hurt him too much. Fuck off what a horrible horrible match.

Raw tag titles was a Raw TV match. Thank god for Angel putting in some effort.

SD womens match was average but it was never gonna be much better than that with 5 women in the ring. Acting like Tamina was a threat that 4 women had to team up on was hilarious.

Bray/Cena really didn't land on the same level for me as Taker/AJ. Some parts were funny, a lot of it was bizarre, and Cena's a hell of a guy for jumping all in on that to make fun of himself, not many superstars with his legacy would do that. But ultimately it was a promo segment that didn't really deliver much once it got to the ending, and I can't get behind an effort to continue building Bray.

Brock/Drew was too finisher heavy even for a Brock match, it was ok but nothing I'll ever watch again. Did he really need to kick out of 3 F5s?

Thank god for Charlotte Vs Rhea to absolutely save this show, but it still might be the worst show of the year so far.

Curtain Jerker

Status

I thought night one was a consistently good show and I had hoped that night two would at least equal it, but I thought night two was a pretty weak show compared to night one.

Charlotte/Ripley was my MOTN, I would’ve had it as a great match but Ripley’s audible selling was really putting me off and dragged the match down from great to very good in my eyes. If you’re in so much pain that you are screaming that loud, you wouldn’t be able to walk properly let alone do a top rope missile dropkick. Get off my lawn.

Edge/Orton was a pretty physical affair but waaaaaay too long.

Cena/Wyatt was enjoyable for what it was. Have to take my hat off to them for trying two of these segments and arguably pulling them both off successfully.

Glad to see Drew get the win. Shame it wasn’t in front of a huge crowd the moment deserved.

Overall I’d say this Wrestlemania just about exceeded my expectations. A good first night let down a bit by the second night, but I had fun watching it and that’s all you can really ask for in the current climate.

Underdog

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Gilo View Post
    I thought night one was a consistently good show and I had hoped that night two would at least equal it, but I thought night two was a pretty weak show compared to night one.

Charlotte/Ripley was my MOTN, I would’ve had it as a great match but Ripley’s audible selling was really putting me off and dragged the match down from great to very good in my eyes. If you’re in so much pain that you are screaming that loud, you wouldn’t be able to walk properly let alone do a top rope missile dropkick. Get off my lawn.

Edge/Orton was a pretty physical affair but waaaaaay too long.

Cena/Wyatt was enjoyable for what it was. Have to take my hat off to them for trying two of these segments and arguably pulling them both off successfully.

Glad to see Drew get the win. Shame it wasn’t in front of a huge crowd the moment deserved.

Overall I’d say this Wrestlemania just about exceeded my expectations. A good first night let down a bit by the second night, but I had fun watching it and that’s all you can really ask for in the current climate.
    I have to echo the Ripley statement. I'm not sure why she couldn't sell. You could tell Charlotte was the more experienced of the two. Ripley, in my opinion, had the worst performance of the weekend, and definitely underwhelming. She didn't alter her moveset and performed offense flawlessly, which is great to her in-ring ability, but you're not doing 80% of those moves flawlessly with a knee injury we're supposed to believe.

I had to suspend my intelligence watching Rhea Ripley, more so than the Firefly Funhouse, and that says something.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I don't think I've ever had such an existential crisis watching wrestling as I did during that match. I was watching it and questioning my very reason for watching wrestling and all I wanted was for someone to just switch it all off and make it go away.

That's how absolutely dreadful Edge vs Randy Orton was. This might be recency bias at work, but this match was genuinely one of the worst, most pathetic matches I've ever seen. I'd definitely put it as one of the worst Wrestlemania matches of all time. I sat there watching it as the minutes ticked away, just begging for it to end. The worst thing a match can be is boring. I can deal with a bad match that still has stuff worth watching. Shane McMahon vs Undertaker is a match I abhor, it's one I've called the worst match in Wrestlemania history before last night's show - but I can still find something I think it entertaining. Michael Cole vs Jerry Lawler of all fucking matches at least had Jack Swagger and Michael Cole's goofy antics. There is not a thing about Edge vs Orton that I like. This was embarrassing from two guys with a combined over 40 years experience. The "brawling" was fucking boring. There was no hatred here. Daniel Bryan and Sami Zayn in a five minute match with little backstory showed more aggression and hatred than this very personal feud. Rhea Ripley and Charlotte had more brutality than this match. The five women match had more energy and passion than this match. This was boring meandering punching, stalling, more stalling. Last Man Standing matches always inherently have an uphill struggle to stay interesting - nevermind a nearly forty fucking minute match between two guys that were barely that good in their prime nevermind at this stage. Why are they staying down till a 9 count after a punch? Why are the commentators not saying anything? Why are these wrestlers, in this deeply personal and hate-filled feud, not shit talking each other and showing any sort of aggression? This was an absolute embarrassment, and that's not the circumstances or the lack of crowd. This sucked because some fucking dumbass thought it would be a good idea to have two mediocre-at-best wrestlers wrestle for 40 minutes; and these two guys producing a lazy performance. I see people compare this to Michaels vs HHH from Bad Blood. I hate that match as much as anyone, but at least there was some interesting stuff happening. At least some of their laying about felt earned and made sense. It was just filled with a shit load of lying about. This had nothing interesting, it wasn't so bad it was good, it was 40 minutes of god-awful boring brawling. Worst match of the year.

Ripley vs Charlotte fucking ruled and is probably my favourite of the weekend along with Owens and Rollins. Really loved the limb work and how Ripley sold it. These two ladies beat the ever loving shit out of each other and I think they actually benefited from the lack of crowd.

Black/Lashley, the tag title match, and the SD women's title match were all ok but nothing too interesting. Lack of build had me struggling to get into the matches. Nothing wrong with any of them though, they did what they had to.

Otis vs Ziggler was lots of fun. If ever there was a match and angle that deserved the crowd it was this one, and I think this is the biggest shame coming out of Wrestlemania. Great angle.

The Firefly Funhouse match sucked. It flat out sucked. Nothing clicked with me whatsoever. I get what they were going for, and I do appreciate it was different to the Boneyard/House of Horrors matches, but none of it felt good to me. It was dumb. Like what was mentioned earlier in the thread, at least the Boneyard match can exist within the universe of wrestling, it makes sense - the characters and what they are doing make sense. The Firefly Funhouse does not. I didn't think it was funny, I didn't think it was engaging, and I didn't think it was exciting. So there was very little, outside of a couple of neat lines, that I actually enjoyed. The Fiend still sucks, and so does old man John Cena who somehow - after a 10 year dominant run - doesn't feel special anymore. Great job.

The main event sucked, of course. Don't care about Drew, don't have much time for Brock when he wrestles like this.

Night 2 was horrible. Really putrid show, and all my positive thoughts coming out of Night 1 feel like a lifetime ago.

All in all this Wrestlemania is, over the two nights, probably the only Wrestlemania I would never want to rewatch again. Outside of a couple of matches, I probably won't even revisit any of the matches - probably just Undertaker vs AJ if anything. Owens and Rollins and Ripley and Charlotte were both fun matches but I don't think I'd go out of my way to ever rewatch them. I feel bad for some of the talent, not so much others.
    Last edited by Shock; 04-06-2020 at 05:13 PM.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

About a day removed and I enjoyed some matches like the AJ vs Taker match, Charlotte vs Rhea and I liked the segement between Cena and Wyatt although it probably served best as a precurssor of a match. Edge vs Orton was bad. Way worse than even I expected. Tedious brawling for near 40 minutes. The title matches were the laziest ways to do those matches but whatever. The rest I'll never think about again.

Underdog

Status

I've been re-watching WrestleMania Part 1 and 2 today. I also went back last night and re-watched the Last Man Standing match, so I've watched Edge and Orton three times.

Still love it. They went anywhere and everywhere, and to finish with the con-chair-to needed to happen. I loved Edge's inner conflict before he took the final shot, realizing this was once his best friend, but did what needed to be done.

People are saying it was too long, but they warranted the 37-minute match. They've saved Raw the last month with the empty arena promos, and they've been the highlight of WrestleMania season with the build to this match the last 3 months. I have no issue with them taking their time on telling their story, especially when it's 37 more minutes of Edge than we expected to see again. Perfect comeback story.

My only thing: commentary could've helped out a lot more. I would have loved Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler calling this match. Phillips and Saxton didn't know how to call the match.

WAKE UP

Status

i only skimmed through it, but what did they need 37 minutes to do that they couldn't have done in 17?

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

yeah not a fan of the match, especially after Edge said in interviews it would be a tough act to follow

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

You can take your time to do your match. And I don't hate them for going 37 minute on that alone. More so that they didn't do anything to capture your investment for that amount of time.

And no feud or built means a match HAS to go a certain length. It could've been shorter and no one would be complaining about them not going 37 minutes.

MR WRESTLEMANIA

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    i only skimmed through it, but what did they need 37 minutes to do that they couldn't have done in 17?
    Stare at each other and not make contact for 20 minutes. They heard this was the formula to a great match.

Putting Butts in Seats

Status

Quote Originally Posted by John Mayer View Post
    yeah not a fan of the match, especially after Edge said in interviews it would be a tough act to follow
    He's not wrong...a lot of people probably turned the show off at that point!

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread Information