Thread: Lucha Match YES/NO Thread

WAKE UP

Status

Lucha Match YES/NO Thread

Same concept as here - http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=174120

All Mexican wrestling goes here.

Nominations require an explanation/reason. Let's watch and talk good wrestling for the year of our lord 2020.

NOMINATIONS:

Psycho Clown/Pentagon Jr./Fenix vs Rush/LA PARK/El Bestia Del Ring, AAA 25/1

Hechicero vs Camulflaje, DTU 27/2

Villano III Jr. vs Aereo, AAA 1/3 - 1 YES, 2 NO
    Last edited by King Steventon; 04-09-2020 at 04:13 PM.

WAKE UP

Status

Re: Lucha Match YES/NO Thread

Nominate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke4kDHRkCv0&

Psycho Clown/Pentagon Jr./Fenix vs Rush/LA PARK/El Bestia Del Ring, AAA 25/1

Invading rudos!! Man, the Rush/PARK/Bestia trio are awesome here, just completely wrecking the top AAA babyfaces in front of a rabid crowd. First half of this is great and feels like a wild, chaotic brawl. We get tonnes of hate, stiffness, blood, mask-ripping, violence, crowd going mad for this shit. Psycho Clown in particular is one of the laziest, shittiest top babyface workers in wrestling, and Rush absolutely pastes him all over the ring area. Second half with the babyface comeback is less strong, as their offence is all flippy cutters and superkicks and shit, but it's fine. Finish is obviously not clean, but it does a good job making you want to see the next chapter and these rudos get theirs. Felt like a AAA version of the Shield debut.

WAKE UP

Status

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR0yKWTF7hc

Nominate

Hechicero vs Camulflaje, DTU 27/2

This is a bit borderline but I enjoyed it a fair bit. A Hechicero singles match with time is always a rare treat, but it's his opponent who makes this match. I know nothing about Camulflaje, but this was billed as DTU vs CMLL and he certainly fights like a guy defending the honor of his home promotion. Hechicero is considerably bigger, stronger and the bigger star, but the DTU boy brings it. We get cool lucha matwork with some nasty looking holds, plenty of stiff shots as tension boils over, and a couple big spots. Hechicero does Hechicero things, but it's Camulflaje that surprises with the heat and intensity and effort that makes this more than a throwaway match.

WAKE UP

Status

NOMINATE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INK1pb-36fY?t=02h02m06s
    starts around 2 hours in

Villano III Jr. vs Aereo, AAA 1/3 [MASK VS MASK]

Wow, this was totally fucking bonkers and totally epic. Most of the way this felt like a one man show from V3 Jr, who is great, but by the end both men had lost their fucking marbles. First fall grappling has V3 showing plenty of skill on the mat and busting out a bunch of slick takedowns and transitions and is all very good. Second fall is also good, but the third is completely blowaway great. V3 is such a great shitbag heel, between his taunting and riling up Aereo's hometown crowd, to all the dickish moves and punishment he starts unloading on their boy. He hits a tope that I think must have broken Aereo's nose because his mask was pissing blood after that, and V3 doesn't let up on the beatdown. Up until that point I thought Aereo was bringing nothing to the match, but then when he made his comeback he absolutely pastes V3 with an absurd chairshot and the violence just escalates from there. Because of how much of a dick V3 was, that escalation really felt organic and justified. By the end we get great brawling, tonnes of violent shit, a bunch of GREAT payback spots where Aereo gives V3 receipts for the shit he has done earlier, a load of genuinely dramatic nearfalls, and a bunch of nutty spots and bumps I won't reel off here. The finish was a bit jank, but totally unexpected, and I kind of dug the wrestling morality of it. Aereo could have won with a count-out, but goes back for one last big spot to put an exclamation mark on it and ends up paying the price. That it was an 11/10 nutbag insanity spot only made it more insane.

I came in with no expectations and this blew me away. This is what a mask vs mask match should be, 2 guys laying their heart and soul and bodies on the line and throwing it all out there. Easily my MOTY right now.

Voices Of Wrestling also had a really good write-up of this on their site.
    Last edited by King Steventon; 03-26-2020 at 08:20 PM.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

They lost me in the final fall. The drama was really lacking and I felt nothing for either guy during the big climactic finishing stretch. Everything upto that point was good but it didn't hook me.

So.. NO to Villano 3 Jr vs Aereo

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    They lost me in the final fall. The drama was really lacking and I felt nothing for either guy during the big climactic finishing stretch. Everything upto that point was good but it didn't hook me.

So.. NO to Villano 3 Jr vs Aereo
    I don't know if I've asked before, but how good does a match have to be for you to recommend it? Personally I vote to yes to anything just fairly solid.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

WAKE UP

Status

Drama was lacking? That feels like a crazy opinion to have to me. I'll count the vote, but just know that you are as mad as Aereo must have been to do that final spot.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peanutbutter View Post
    I don't know if I've asked before, but how good does a match have to be for you to recommend it? Personally I vote to yes to anything just fairly solid.
    I try to have standards to it otherwise I'd nominate a ton of stuff. Basically anything great. I don't think this is great, the match was good but what prevents it from being great or something I'd yes/recommend is because of what I said.

And yes, the drama was really lacking for me. I've spoken to people who think the same so it's not too crazy . They went big for the final fall and I never got on board with it. The finish was nuts. I'll give Aereo that.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Yeah, I'll be honest I'm closer to MC than Steve on this one. I enjoyed the first two falls as they had more depth to them than I usually see in Lucha, but the final fall just went on and on and was very spotty in it's nature, I didn't feel gripped at all. It's a no for me; certainly not anywhere near my MOTY.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

YES on Aereo/V3Jr. - Am 100% on Steve's side on this one. I loved the touch of each of the 3 falls trying something different and adding a different layer to the overall match. I really felt Villano was the stronger worker of the two but Aereo added his own flavor and by the end stole the show with the finish of the Tercera. I definitely felt the drama heavily here in the 3rd fall so I'm going against MC & Ed, although with Ed I get where he's coming from on it being spotty, but like Steve I felt it was justified because of the preceding two falls. The only thing that took me out of it was the way too apparent Blade in the second fall but they definitely won me back over. Great, great match.

Thread Information