Page 91 of 99 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 1967

Thread: Coronavirus

Le Champion

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: Coronavirus

I think people need to just accept that this year is what it is and we can't have the Christmas we wanted to. Me and my partner had a baby in March who has only met her grandparents twice and great grandparents once and even if the government allow household mixing for a few days over Christmas I'm not going to be stupid enough to actually do it. It sucks, I feel terrible on my daughter who has not had really any family interaction outside of me and my partner but I accept it. I've got Christmas off for the first time in 7 years and won't be spending it with family because it's the sensible thing to do just now. People need to get off this "let's have Christmas together" pish and just accept it is what it is this year. I'll be very disappointed in the Scottish government if they agree to this nonsense.

Main Eventer

Status

im having the biggest Christmas party ever. Just kidding, Im happy not see any family members over Christmas.

Our premier is allowing gatherings of 10 for 4 days over Christmas break.

People are going to gather anyway wether they insisted no gatherings or not.
    Last edited by indyfan; 11-22-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    I am the Foundation

https://twitter.com/TheJonGresham

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    im having the biggest chridtmas bash ever

All the white people you can find.

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Prank Sinatra View Post
    All the white people you can find.
    Whites only... and i can find a lot. im a pretty popular guy

Were not afraid of a widdle cold.
    Last edited by indyfan; 11-22-2020 at 04:46 PM.
    I am the Foundation

❄❄❄❄❄

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing Dak View Post
    Getting worse here in my state. Idiots won't wear their dang masks. It is going to get worse in the coming weeks after Thanksgiving because people are vowing, "THE GUVNER CAN'T TELL ME HOW TO CELEBREATE THANKSGIVING!!!! " and their parents and grandparents don't want to tell them no so we are going to have large family gatherings and massive spikes in numbers I fear.

Oh well.
    I have family like this as well. My great aunt (My great grandmother's sister) has family coming to her house all the way from Las Vegas and Ohio. She didn't even want to hold it at her house, but they're forcing her to because they say her house is the biggest. She's their 80 something year old mother, and she is on a breather machine right now as it is due to medical issues currently unrelated to COVID. She is at very high risk if she contracts the virus, and frankly they shouldn't even be in contact with her until this blows over.

I don't even consider them family though. Once my Great Grandmother dies, her siblings and her siblings in law are basically dead to me at that point. We rarely see them anyway, and they're always very rude when we do. Doing things like the above is only making me want to see them less. My family is basically just the children of my Great Grandmother, and then their children. But even us, we're not having a big gathering. One of my aunts is but I don't think anyone else is going but her family despite invites. Meanwhile, my house which is me, my grandmother, and my great grandmother, are hosting my uncle and his wife (Grandmother's son) and that's it. They're in our bubble, but yeah it's just going to be the five of us.

Christmas is on the fence. My Grandmother usually hosts Christmas for the family (including that extended family I mentioned above although most don't show up) but I'm urging her not to this year and to keep it very small. My Great Grandmother herself is 88 years old. I'm fine with small crowds. My Great Gram though wants to see her family, understandably, but I just don't think it's worth the risk. Especially since at that point we're probably going to be facing another Stay at Home order anyway.

People in PA are villainizing our Governor, Tom Wolf, as well. Meanwhile PA has been one of the better states in regards to COVID cases due to his precautions and restrictions. I've had friends share pictures of him with captions saying "I'm cancelling all the holidays" even though he never said such things, as well as a picture of him as the Burger Meister Meister Burger. Thankfully though Tom Wolf has reached his term limits and can't be reelected, so he's not really playing the politics game in PA. He's doing his best to mitigate the deaths. But like you said the people refusing to wear masks and social distance are prolonging this.

Remember back in school when the teacher would force everyone to have a silent lunch, but other keeps kept talking and getting the time extended? That's what's going on here. People just can't do what we need to do, and it's hurting everyone. It doesn't help that BOTH sides turned COVID into a politics thing, and it's turned into this thing where the far right thinks COVID is a hoax and masks are oppression. I don't want to just blame Trump or the Republicans on that, because the moment Trump started it the Democrats bounced on and basically made it a point of their campaign against him. It solidified the issue as just another thing to have two sides of a fence on...when really it shouldn't have ever turned into a two sided thing at all.

I understand masks suck and social distancing sucks. But because they suck, people don't want to do it. They're like whining little kids who need forced through this. It's so crazy.

Main Eventer

Status

What percentage of people in your areas do you think are being difficult?

I think here its around maybe 40-50
    I am the Foundation

Cult of Fuji

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Quote Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
    I have family like this as well. My great aunt (My great grandmother's sister) has family coming to her house all the way from Las Vegas and Ohio. She didn't even want to hold it at her house, but they're forcing her to because they say her house is the biggest. She's their 80 something year old mother, and she is on a breather machine right now as it is due to medical issues currently unrelated to COVID. She is at very high risk if she contracts the virus, and frankly they shouldn't even be in contact with her until this blows over.

I don't even consider them family though. Once my Great Grandmother dies, her siblings and her siblings in law are basically dead to me at that point. We rarely see them anyway, and they're always very rude when we do. Doing things like the above is only making me want to see them less. My family is basically just the children of my Great Grandmother, and then their children. But even us, we're not having a big gathering. One of my aunts is but I don't think anyone else is going but her family despite invites. Meanwhile, my house which is me, my grandmother, and my great grandmother, are hosting my uncle and his wife (Grandmother's son) and that's it. They're in our bubble, but yeah it's just going to be the five of us.

Christmas is on the fence. My Grandmother usually hosts Christmas for the family (including that extended family I mentioned above although most don't show up) but I'm urging her not to this year and to keep it very small. My Great Grandmother herself is 88 years old. I'm fine with small crowds. My Great Gram though wants to see her family, understandably, but I just don't think it's worth the risk. Especially since at that point we're probably going to be facing another Stay at Home order anyway.

People in PA are villainizing our Governor, Tom Wolf, as well. Meanwhile PA has been one of the better states in regards to COVID cases due to his precautions and restrictions. I've had friends share pictures of him with captions saying "I'm cancelling all the holidays" even though he never said such things, as well as a picture of him as the Burger Meister Meister Burger. Thankfully though Tom Wolf has reached his term limits and can't be reelected, so he's not really playing the politics game in PA. He's doing his best to mitigate the deaths. But like you said the people refusing to wear masks and social distance are prolonging this.

Remember back in school when the teacher would force everyone to have a silent lunch, but other keeps kept talking and getting the time extended? That's what's going on here. People just can't do what we need to do, and it's hurting everyone. It doesn't help that BOTH sides turned COVID into a politics thing, and it's turned into this thing where the far right thinks COVID is a hoax and masks are oppression. I don't want to just blame Trump or the Republicans on that, because the moment Trump started it the Democrats bounced on and basically made it a point of their campaign against him. It solidified the issue as just another thing to have two sides of a fence on...when really it shouldn't have ever turned into a two sided thing at all.

I understand masks suck and social distancing sucks. But because they suck, people don't want to do it. They're like whining little kids who need forced through this. It's so crazy.
    I just wished the remote learning for the schools was much better. My daughter goes every other day and the days she doesn't go she has no work all she does is check she is present. The teachers need to have work for them because its basically them not doing crap. If we go fully remote then they need to have actual lessons and stuff for them to do school properly.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

TEAM CYRUS

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

What percentage of people in your areas do you think are being difficult?

I think here its around maybe 40-50
    Its easily young adults where i live. People gotta get their drink on.

Edit: i read this as what age range. Id say about 20-30% here but i barely leave the house.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    It's going to be very interesting to see how the UK government handle Xmas over here.

I could potentially see the current lockdown going as far as the 16/12 to really get the numbers down before Xmas causes a peak again. But non-essential retail businesses would be apocalyptic at losing another 2 weeks during their peak period, and I can't see the Tories doing that sort of damage to the economy. I'm sure the government is fully aware families are going to gather no matter what restrictions are in place, the most they can do is get guidelines in place to keep it as sensible as possible, get the numbers down beforehand, and be ready to act after.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    There is no way this spineless government will have tight lockdown restrictions for Christmas. They'd rather take the hit in January than piss people off that much.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
    Sounds like we're heading into a tier 3 lockdown across the entire country.

When the initial lockdown was announced I predicted that it would be tweaked. I totally expected them to announce that school would shut that week (so around 2 weeks early) but retail would begin to open up more with some restrictions still in place. Similarly to the end of Summer this government just can't afford to miss out on the money that comes with Christmas Shopping (Hence why retail/restaurants/pubs will be opening up but Gyms and similar venues are being penalized yet again), so they will keep them open and like Shock said, just put us back into Lockdown in Jan/Feb time.

[Merry Xmas WC]

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Sounds like we're heading into a tier 3 lockdown across the entire country.
    I read it as were going back to the 3 tier system, with some modifications made to the previous one

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Coronavirus

So, a bbq joint in a suburb of Toronto defied our recent lockdown orders and opened up for indoor dining. The cops showed up but didn’t issue any fines or close the place down. A lot of folks think that’s because they’ll get this dude at the provincial level (for a much higher fine) but I’m not so sure.

I think this is just the beginning of small business owners fighting back against our municipal and provincial governments, who have shut them down without lifting a finger to help. It’s pretty terrible that its come to this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    So, a bbq joint in a suburb of Toronto defied our recent lockdown orders and opened up for indoor dining. The cops showed up but didn’t issue any fines or close the place down. A lot of folks think that’s because they’ll get this dude at the provincial level (for a much higher fine) but I’m not so sure.

I think this is just the beginning of small business owners fighting back against our municipal and provincial governments, who have shut them down without lifting a finger to help. It’s pretty terrible that its come to this.

Its just like the mask mandates in the states. They issue them but then come right out and say they wont enforce them. Of course people are going to resist if they know there isnt a penalty.

[Merry Xmas WC]

Status

some gyms over here rebelled against the second lockdown too. Not sure how long they stayed open but were pretty clued up on the legalities of what the government could and couldn't do.

Main Eventer

Status

The saddest part is small businesses need to lockdown while chains can operate.

im glad they re fighting back and dont blame them.
    I am the Foundation

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    some gyms over here rebelled against the second lockdown too. Not sure how long they stayed open but were pretty clued up on the legalities of what the government could and couldn't do.

If enough businesses defy their orders, it won’t matter what the government can and cannot do.

The saddest part is small businesses need to lockdown while chains can operate.

im glad they re fighting back and dont blame them.
    To be fair, all restaurants in Toronto are shut down for everything but takeout/delivery. However, the chains will obviously be able to weather the storm for a lot longer.

I feel particularly bad for one of our customers at the brewery. He had just taken delivery on a large amount of beer which he now cannot sell. He did, however, tell me yesterday that he’s going to cut his losses and drink a bunch of it while watching football on Thursday. I guess if his spirits aren’t dampened, mine shouldn’t be either.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

[Merry Xmas WC]

Status

If enough businesses defy their orders, it won’t matter what the government can and cannot do.

To be fair, all restaurants in Toronto are shut down for everything but takeout/delivery. However, the chains will obviously be able to weather the storm for a lot longer.

Interestingly, whilst the chains can weather this over here, a lot of them have still announced closures and job cuts to get costs down. But then again, a lot of these businesses were struggling before Covid, this is merely the trigger finally being pulled.

Meanwhile, a lot of my local independents have actually done really well to pivot and alter their businesses to not only survive, but thrive. The true entrepreneurs realised they had a lot more wriggle room to change things than the big chains.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Sounds like up to 3 households can meet for Christmas in the UK. I think that's fairly sensible, I do think it should be opened up a little bit because Christmas can be the most lonely time of the year and a Lockdown Christmas would be a really difficult one for many to get through mentally. I feel like the timing of the November lockdown always had the secondary goal of allowing for a somewhat normal Christmas. In my particular situation it means I'll probably be staying with my girlfriend for the day because it's gonna be a choice of spending it with her or my parents and sister.

I don't like how it's being framed as a Christian Vs every other religion thing when it comes to people asking why restrictions weren't loser for Eid and other celebrations like that. I'd wager the % of people that want a normal Christmas aren't the people of faith that were including going to Church as part of their normal Christmas, and most Christian's have accepted this year that the Church's can't be opened because it risks the elderly. It's because it's a time of year we get 2 bank holidays goes and spend quality time with their family, way more people than just Christians celebrate the day.

#CR2K21

Status
      Country                    UK

Taking a local pub around where I live as an example, this has actually resulted in them having one of their most successful years. When the pub was allowed to be open, even with the curfew, it was packed every night and they even had to open on Mondays and Tuesdays which they had never usually done.

In the first lockdown they converted the back room of the pub into a small shop to sell essentials which they were able to purchase from their existing supply chains for the kitchen so there was no issue with demand being too high because they were always well stocked. They also did a good delivery service.

In this lockdown they’ve hired a food van and are operating a cafe out in front of the pub, as well as doing delivery and collection for Sunday dinners. I saw one of their posts on Facebook and this past Sunday they’d prepared the most roasts they’d ever done in a day.

So whilst there are inevitably going to be businesses that suffer as a result of all of this, it is possible to make the best of a bad situation.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Its honestly crazy reading how much of a big deal COVID-19 still is. Overall Australia as a whole as got through it pretty well, we still have some occasional lockdowns, but the isolation that this part of the World has from the rest of the World to begin with has really limited the impact here.

And on top of that here in Western Aus, the capitol City of Perth is geographically the most isolated Capitol City in the World. And then to further that I'm in the middle of the desert in a mining town where COVID has been a complete non issue for months and months now and life is back to normal largely outside of where you can travel too for Christmas.

Like work wise everyone in town is flat out, there isn't a single tradesman in town that doesn't have too much work on.

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    Its honestly crazy reading how much of a big deal COVID-19 still is. Overall Australia as a whole as got through it pretty well, we still have some occasional lockdowns, but the isolation that this part of the World has from the rest of the World to begin with has really limited the impact here.

And on top of that here in Western Aus, the capitol City of Perth is geographically the most isolated Capitol City in the World. And then to further that I'm in the middle of the desert in a mining town where COVID has been a complete non issue for months and months now and life is back to normal largely outside of where you can travel too for Christmas.

Like work wise everyone in town is flat out, there isn't a single tradesman in town that doesn't have too much work on.
    Benefits of an island
    I am the Foundation

Page 91 of 99 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast

Thread Information