Page 62 of 71 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1420

Thread: Coronavirus

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Coronavirus

I think the key is socially distancing, wherever you are and whether you're in your home country or abroad. Has anyone seen any data that suggests you're more likely to get COVID if you're in a different country?

Where are you thinking of heading away to, Order?

Le Champion

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Anyone going abroad or wanting to go abroad anytime soon is mental. I get we all have to live our lives but it just seems stupid to me that anyone would even entertain the idea right now. There are people I know who are gagging for a holiday and choking to fly out the first available date they can get. Second wave is coming because people have 'got bored' of Covid and Boris Johnson really doesn't give an impression that it's as serious as it still is.

Heel Champion

Status

^ There's a theory that COVID-19 is similar to a hurricane, in so far as it hit's its worst at the start and then starts to fade away as it moves through the area. Maybe Boris has evidence to support this theory?

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Is anyone on here planning on travelling abroad this summer? I'm definitely not!
    I'm not going abroad, but I flew home to the UK a couple of weeks ago. It was a very strange experience on the flight! I won't be going away this Summer but there's no chance I'm not going somewhere in October.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

^ There's a theory that COVID-19 is similar to a hurricane, in so far as it hit's its worst at the start and then starts to fade away as it moves through the area. Maybe Boris has evidence to support this theory?
    I mean.. I don't know how much of that a theory and how much of that is common sense given what a virus is. Viruses are always bad at the start and get weaker as long as transmission is prevented or combatted against. Boris doesn't have evidence to support anything - it's not like he has given a fuck about any scientific evidence/advice beforehand?

No way would I go to another country right now. At least, I wouldn't visit anywhere with a higher R number than here because, obviously, that means more chance of getting it.

"US breaks record for daily Coronavirus cases" is a headline I feel I have seen every day of this week.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Heel Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    I mean.. I don't know how much of that a theory and how much of that is common sense given what a virus is. Viruses are always bad at the start and get weaker as long as transmission is prevented or combatted against.
    That's not necessarily true. Viruses often have waves and go up-and-down rather than being bad at the start and getting weaker as time goes on. There's many conflicting theories on the Coronavirus but one is that we've hit the peak and the virus is burning itself out and won't be around beyond the new year.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

That's not necessarily true. Viruses often have waves and go up-and-down rather than being bad at the start and getting weaker as time goes on. There's many conflicting theories on the Coronavirus but one is that we've hit the peak and the virus is burning itself out and won't be around beyond the new year.
    How so?

Waves happen because of the opposite of what I have just said. If people stop preventing transmission or don't combat (vaccine) then, yes, it's going to get worse. The theory that Coronavirus is petering out is a bit nonsensical given what's happening in the US right now. The reasoning? Because people weren't preventing transmission enough. Viruses get stronger as they infect more people - they are able to adapt/evolve/mutate to combat the human immune system hence why the flu and rhinovirus are still present today.

With no vaccine, antibody immunity to the Coronavirus is not guaranteed without infection. I believe I have seen a study that implied antibodies to the SARS-COV2 infection would only last around 3 months before dipping massively. Might just be making that up but would imply herd immunity isn't a good idea (if it wasn't already). Of cases with an outcome, ~9 percent have died.

The idea that the virus is burning itself out could be right. But, equally, couldn't you just say that since we went into lockdown, it's only natural for us to 'peak' and look to peter out? The number of infections in England are still pretty bad. The virus could mutate and make a comeback. There's no reason to use theories to lull yourself into a fall sense of security.

Also this virus has been around since what... November officially? It's now about July. It's still having a major effect on some parts of the world. It's hardly petering out.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

[Run]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
    Second wave is coming because people have 'got bored' of Covid and Boris Johnson really doesn't give an impression that it's as serious as it still is.
    This is no knock against you Baldy, and I certainly can't say it won't happen here, but I feel like this line has been said every week for the last 2 months.

We've had two bank holidays, several mass protests, quite a few scorching beach days, people apparently breaking rules everywhere and yet that "2nd wave" we keep getting promised hasn't appeared. I'm starting to think maybe we should chill a bit with the doomsday prophecy?

As for the subject, funnily enough I've been offered a job interview tomorrow, but it's out of town. I can't fully convince myself to get on a train right now, let alone a plane that up until last year took 9 years of anxiety to overcome. Besides, this has been the longest I've been off work in over a decade, I think a holiday can wait

SuperSaiyan, glad you're back home dude, your post from Russia(?) was quite the eye opener at the time.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Heel Champion

Status

I'm not going to claim to be a doctor or a medical expert, but I saw a report that says there's 3 main "strands" of COVID-19 called A, B and C.

Strain A appears to be most common in America and Australia, whilst B is present in Asia and C is spreading throughout Europe. What's to say that America's current issues aren't a result of several strands intertwined? Highly unlikely, but I don't think Scientists know enough yet.

I'm not fully clued up to the petering out theory, but I don't think there's a specific "set time" for the virus to spread before it does start to retreat.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

The virus is petering out in certain places because countries across the world had to take drastic action to shut themselves down. If people/countries become complacent then it will just rise again. Look at what's happened in Germany when they've started to open up - they had a few big outbreaks last week. This is a country that has handled coronavirus arguably better than any other European nation too.

We need to learn from other countries to see what happens when we try and open up too much, and how to handle outbreaks (e.g. localised lockdowns, better tracing systems). Otherwise all that will happen is that we'll be seeing cases pop up left right and centre for a long, long time yet.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Comeback King

Status

So I haven't looked into it but it's my 30th in September and I just thought about going to Gran Can for a week literally because I have two weeks off work and just to chill. Haven't decided anything yet and will continue to monitor it. But honestly it would be no more dangerous than going to a park in London imo. It is super crowded everywhere.

As for the second spike is incoming rhetoric, I do think there will quite possibly be one but all we can go on is what is happening day by day. July 4 is the next test and we will see how we do.

My housemate actually worked on the modelling for the testing capacity and has done shit loads of research into the second spike given multiple different scenarios and there prediction is that if it does come it would most likely be in November. The aim is that testing capacity would be up to 500,000 a day by that point should it be required.

Of course it all ultimately depends on the behaviour of every individual because people are taking more risks and I get that but it is taking risks that don't impact multiple others which is the important line I think. Mingling with one other is one thing, mingling in a crowd of 30 friends is another.

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    SuperSaiyan, glad you're back home dude, your post from Russia(?) was quite the eye opener at the time.
    Thanks dude. I actually flew back the day they opened everything up in Russia! All the signs at the moment are pointing to this just being a temporary measure to get people out voting for upcoming constitutional reforms (essentially getting rid of maximum terms so Putin can rule forever), and then afterwards the lockdown will start again there... Which is obviously bonkers.

I've taken two trains since being home, one from Euston to Manchester and today from Manchester back to Wolves (I couldn't self-isolate with my parents, so did so elsewhere with friends), and both were extremely quiet. Everyone socially distancing and stations organised in such a manner as to reduce contact. I worry more when going to Sainsbury's than on the train, to be honest. Funnily, the day I got the Euston-Manchester was the same day as a big BLM rally and counter-rally, and I was on the same train as all the racists going back up north, trying to distinguish myself from them somehow...

Le Champion

Status

3 days in a row with 0 recorded deaths in Scotland. Granted weekends tend to see lower reporting figures but this is still excellent news for us. I see cases are spiking in some areas of England and Leicester may be given a local lockdown too.

I'm really nervous about work tomorrow and the amount of bams we may get in store. Really hope everyone follows the guidelines we've set out in store but the amount of junkies roaming around near where I work is concerning, the street felt incredibly unsafe today.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Well my household has managed to upset both sides of the family haha.

In Wales we're allowed to bubble with 1 other household from next week and we decided we aren't going to bubble with anyone as there are elderly grandparents on both sides so we need to keep bubbles open incase anyone needs to bubble with the more vulnerable.

It's also likely we'll be having plenty of dry weather so there is no need for us to be indoors with anyone.

The family don't appreciate where we are coming from but tough luck this is our decision.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
    I have a plan so cunning......

Heel Champion

Status

Are people genuinely sticking to this "bubble" business? If you have 3 grandparents, surely socially distancing with all 3 is the best idea rather than cutting off members of the family.

Le Champion

Status

Welcome what Nicola Sturgeon has said regarding the next steps for Scotland. Love her or hate her, she's done a far better job than Boris Johnson has in handling this whole thing. Really happy face masks are now mandatory in shops.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Are people genuinely sticking to this "bubble" business? If you have 3 grandparents, surely socially distancing with all 3 is the best idea rather than cutting off members of the family.
    Pretty much what we've done, our objective is to keep everyone safe.

Welsh Government have said hospitality industry can re-open in two weeks if numbers stay low, as long as everyone is sat outside of the premises, i'm assuming social distancing still has to apply too, but again, but like Scotland, we're going slow and steady.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Status

Trump saying he hopes the virus will just disappear has to be massively disheartening to Americans. What the fuck of leadership is that? Thousands upon thousands are getting infected everyday due a failure of effective and rationale leadership, from both the federal and state level. Downplaying the virus from the start, politicizing it (both sides), playing on some people's resistance to masks and politicizing that are all unforgivable political power plays that will cost tens of thousands of lives. Watching some Republican pols and media walk back their anti-mask rhetoric would be comical if it wasn't horrifying.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

Status

Flatten the curve they said. Social Distancing they said.

Sad thing is no one listened.

I've seen quotes and interviews and videos of other Americans who STILL are not taking this seriously, and I'm literally flabbergasted on a daily basis, that there are so many complete and utter morons running around.

For the record, we had 17K more reported cases yesterday than we did at our WORST point in March/April/May.

Everything about this is embarrassing to any American who takes this seriously and has a family to protect.

Heel Champion

Status

The government has published its safety plans for England's return to school in September - built on the principle of keeping classes or whole year groups apart in separate "bubbles".

Schools will have testing kits to give to parents if children develop coronavirus symptoms in school.

Mobile testing units may be sent to schools which have an outbreak.

The education secretary said there must be a "concrete determination" to get pupils back to class.

"By working together we will make sure that their hopes and dreams for the future are not to be knocked off course," Gavin Williamson told journalists.

"We cannot sit back and... just say that children are not going to go back to school."

He said a "system of control" would "minimise the risk" from Covid-19.

Children will not be taught a "watered-down" curriculum, he added - insisting that it will be "world-class ".

Labour's shadow education secretary Kate Green accused the government of being "asleep at the wheel" over getting children back into school full-time.

Head teachers said it would be "mind-boggling" to try to keep groups of pupils apart all day in school.

What are the new rules for autumn?
    The safety plans issued by the Department for Education say that "given the improved position, the balance of risk is now overwhelmingly in favour of children returning to school"

The return will be based on separating groups of children into "bubbles" and minimising contacts between them, rather than social distancing

It will mean:

• Grouping children together in groups or "bubbles", a class in primary and year group in secondary
    • Avoiding contact in school between these groups, with separate starting, finishing, lunch and break times
    • Attendance compulsory with the threat of penalty fines
    • Test and trace in place for schools
    • Regular cleaning of hands, but masks not expected for pupils or staff
    • Those with symptoms told to stay out of school
    • No big group events like school assemblies and arranging classrooms with forward facing desks
    • Separate groups on school buses and discouraging the use of public transport
    • Pupils will be expected to continue with all their GCSEs and A-levels

Yet another thing in the UK that's going to be "world class". Getting boring now..

Does anyone on here have children? If so, do you feel safe sending them back?

Page 62 of 71 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread Information