Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 625

Thread: Coronavirus

  1. #461
    War Eagle
    CNEW2's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Auburn, AL
    Posts
    504
    Rep Power
    90431
      Country                    United States

    Re: Coronavirus

    So, for awhile, I was seeing that because of the scarcity of the tests early on, you had to meet a certain set of criteria to even get tested...how exactly did so many people test positive for the virus while showing absolutely no symptoms? I've seen stories of people who claimed they had a fever/cough/aches and went through all the red tape and called their doctors, WHO, etc. and would be turned away because they "didn't fit the criteria". Unless I've missed something, didn't Tom Hanks test positive without any symptoms?

    Also, my friend STILL thinks this is a hoax designed for money. The holes in his theory are staggering, to the say the least

  2. #462
    Cardcaptor
    Sakura's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,386
    Rep Power
    936318

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by CNEW2 View Post
    So, for awhile, I was seeing that because of the scarcity of the tests early on, you had to meet a certain set of criteria to even get tested...how exactly did so many people test positive for the virus while showing absolutely no symptoms? I've seen stories of people who claimed they had a fever/cough/aches and went through all the red tape and called their doctors, WHO, etc. and would be turned away because they "didn't fit the criteria". Unless I've missed something, didn't Tom Hanks test positive without any symptoms?

    Also, my friend STILL thinks this is a hoax designed for money. The holes in his theory are staggering, to the say the least

    The US doesn't have enough tests, and isn't doing enough to get more.

    That's the problem.

    In South Korea, they pretty much were testing everyone at drive through checkpoints. The countries who have handled this best, have done the most testing.
    Everything will surely be alright.



  3. #463
    I'm your Huckleberry
    Dakstang's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    21,405
    Rep Power
    311491
      Country                    United States

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    The US doesn't have enough tests, and isn't doing enough to get more.

    That's the problem.

    In South Korea, they pretty much were testing everyone at drive through checkpoints. The countries who have handled this best, have done the most testing.
    Well, to be fair our population is nearly 6 times that of South Korea.

    Overall we have conducted slightly more tests than South Korea (on the numbers reported but there is no mandatory reporting requirement) but their percentage of tests to total number of population exceeds ours.

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...il/2906983001/

    I also saw where Donald Trump put in a call to South Korea's leader in helping to secure some more tests.

    Buddy if you try to take my rights you're in for one hell of a fight
    When it comes to my Constitution I'm a true believer
    Come to my house I'll tell you right now, I'll give you my gun
    When you pry it from my cold dead hand, start with my middle finger

  4. #464
    Cardcaptor
    Sakura's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,386
    Rep Power
    936318

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang View Post
    Well, to be fair our population is nearly 6 times that of South Korea.

    Overall we have conducted slightly more tests than South Korea (on the numbers reported but there is no mandatory reporting requirement) but their percentage of tests to total number of population exceeds ours.

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...il/2906983001/

    I also saw where Donald Trump put in a call to South Korea's leader in helping to secure some more tests.
    Yes, but it took a very long time to get there. We had our first case the same day they had theirs. Only a mere two weeks ago, they had tested six times more people than we had. The thing is, they acted fast and had systems in place. We do not.



    Also, here is why it is absolutely not going to work to open by Easter as Trump plans:


    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...share_facebook
    Everything will surely be alright.



  5. #465
    I'm your Huckleberry
    Dakstang's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    21,405
    Rep Power
    311491
      Country                    United States

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    Yes, but it took a very long time to get there. We had our first case the same day they had theirs. Only a mere two weeks ago, they had tested six times more people than we had. The thing is, they acted fast and had systems in place. We do not.



    Also, here is why it is absolutely not going to work to open by Easter as Trump plans:


    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...share_facebook
    It is a lot easier to be prepared and handle something like this with a population 6 times less in a space about 100 times smaller.

    Apples and oranges.

    Buddy if you try to take my rights you're in for one hell of a fight
    When it comes to my Constitution I'm a true believer
    Come to my house I'll tell you right now, I'll give you my gun
    When you pry it from my cold dead hand, start with my middle finger

  6. #466
    Cardcaptor
    Sakura's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,386
    Rep Power
    936318

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang View Post
    It is a lot easier to be prepared and handle something like this with a population 6 times less in a space about 100 times smaller.

    Apples and oranges.
    Also helps if you don't fire the pandemic relief team.

    Also helps if you react fast, instead of saying it's no worse than the flu for 2 months.

    Obviously, it's easier when it's a smaller area and smaller population. But that doesn't distract from the fact that a lot more could have been done that South Korea was doing, while the US downplayed it.
    Everything will surely be alright.



  7. #467
    People's Champion
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    7,839
    Rep Power
    729222

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by CNEW2 View Post
    So, for awhile, I was seeing that because of the scarcity of the tests early on, you had to meet a certain set of criteria to even get tested...how exactly did so many people test positive for the virus while showing absolutely no symptoms? I've seen stories of people who claimed they had a fever/cough/aches and went through all the red tape and called their doctors, WHO, etc. and would be turned away because they "didn't fit the criteria". Unless I've missed something, didn't Tom Hanks test positive without any symptoms?

    Also, my friend STILL thinks this is a hoax designed for money. The holes in his theory are staggering, to the say the least
    I think traveling helped get a test done. Hanks was in Australia before he got tested.

    Yeah there are still people who think its a hoax. Its crazy
    Proud Member of the PC Master Race.

  8. #468
    Cardcaptor
    Sakura's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,386
    Rep Power
    936318

    Re: Coronavirus

    For what it's worth, Hanks also had flu like symptoms.

    Also, one thing I often see...Whenever we discuss "America can't ____, because how large we are" as an argument, I scratch my head and think. If a country is too big to manage efficiently and effectively by current standards of infrastructure, handling disasters, etc..Is that not a problem in itself?
    Everything will surely be alright.



  9. #469
    I'm your Huckleberry
    Dakstang's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    21,405
    Rep Power
    311491
      Country                    United States

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    For what it's worth, Hanks also had flu like symptoms.

    Also, one thing I often see...Whenever we discuss "America can't ____, because how large we are" as an argument, I scratch my head and think. If a country is too big to manage efficiently and effectively by current standards of infrastructure, handling disasters, etc..Is that not a problem in itself?
    Well there are other issues here that you have to take into consideration.

    You mentioned they were stopping cars and testing people in South Korea. I am imagining like a checkpoint or something.

    That would be a violation of Constitutional Rights to do that here.

    That is why comparing countries is dumb.

    You can argue more could have been done all day long but nobody could have imagined something like this would have happened 6 months ago.

    Now if this happens again and we aren't more prepared then you will have an argument.

    As it stands your argument is weak.

    Buddy if you try to take my rights you're in for one hell of a fight
    When it comes to my Constitution I'm a true believer
    Come to my house I'll tell you right now, I'll give you my gun
    When you pry it from my cold dead hand, start with my middle finger

  10. #470
    People's Champion
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    7,839
    Rep Power
    729222

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang View Post
    Well there are other issues here that you have to take into consideration.

    You mentioned they were stopping cars and testing people in South Korea. I am imagining like a checkpoint or something.

    That would be a violation of Constitutional Rights to do that here.

    That is why comparing countries is dumb.

    You can argue more could have been done all day long but nobody could have imagined something like this would have happened 6 months ago.

    Now if this happens again and we aren't more prepared then you will have an argument.

    As it stands your argument is weak.
    This is exactly why you look to other countries. The US isn't on some other planet.

    Canada dealt with SARS in 2003. That's why we prepared for the past 20 years to make sure we were prepared if it ever happened again.
    Proud Member of the PC Master Race.

  11. #471
    Cardcaptor
    Sakura's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,386
    Rep Power
    936318

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang View Post
    Well there are other issues here that you have to take into consideration.

    You mentioned they were stopping cars and testing people in South Korea. I am imagining like a checkpoint or something.

    That would be a violation of Constitutional Rights to do that here.

    That is why comparing countries is dumb.

    You can argue more could have been done all day long but nobody could have imagined something like this would have happened 6 months ago.

    Now if this happens again and we aren't more prepared then you will have an argument.

    As it stands your argument is weak.
    No, they are drive-through test clinics. Not checkpoints.

    However, I'd still support it if it was checkpoints. Because that's still a good idea.

    Other countries were more prepared than the USA. We were amply warned in January, and downplayed it til the beginning of March. That is a fact. When other countries are doing something right and effectively, you adapt a similar system. That's how it goes. You can't just stick with broken systems because they are the way it's done and been done in the USA.

    Nobody could have imagined? Really?

    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/27/bill...-like-war.html
    Everything will surely be alright.



  12. #472
    I'm your Huckleberry
    Dakstang's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    21,405
    Rep Power
    311491
      Country                    United States

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    This is exactly why you look to other countries. The US isn't on some other planet.

    Canada dealt with SARS in 2003. That's why we prepared for the past 20 years to make sure we were prepared if it ever happened again.
    SARS was nothing compared to this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    No, they are drive-through test clinics. Not checkpoints.

    However, I'd still support it if it was checkpoints. Because that's still a good idea.

    Other countries were more prepared than the USA. We were amply warned in January, and downplayed it til the beginning of March. That is a fact. When other countries are doing something right and effectively, you adapt a similar system. That's how it goes. You can't just stick with broken systems because they are the way it's done and been done in the USA.

    Nobody could have imagined? Really?

    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/27/bill...-like-war.html
    The fact of the matter is each country brings it own unique roadblocks and situations.

    No country can model itself on another country exactly.

    Could we have been more prepared? Maybe.

    Blaming the President is dumb though. Blaming the President for this is about as dumb as blaming the President for the weather.

    Get real.

    Buddy if you try to take my rights you're in for one hell of a fight
    When it comes to my Constitution I'm a true believer
    Come to my house I'll tell you right now, I'll give you my gun
    When you pry it from my cold dead hand, start with my middle finger

  13. #473
    People's Champion
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    7,839
    Rep Power
    729222

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang View Post
    SARS was nothing compared to this.



    .
    Besides ratios and amounts whats different? Sars with this spread ratio would be even worse.

    You re suppose to learn from the past and if you could do it watching other nations dealing with it, consider it a blessing.. a Viral outbreak is a viral outbreak.
    Proud Member of the PC Master Race.

  14. #474
    WC Hall Of Famer

    Inogenius's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cleveland/London
    Posts
    6,031
    Rep Power
    150080
      Country                    United States

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang View Post
    Blaming the President is dumb though. Blaming the President for this is about as dumb as blaming the President for the weather.

    Get real.
    I agree with you that you cannot blame the President for the virus.

    However you can blame the President for the poor response and lack of leadership. Because of the President's lack of decisive action, there's been more deaths than necessary, and the economy has been negatively impacted.

    The President is refusing to accept accountability for his inaction, and his constant finger pointing. COVID-19 isn't a democrat hoax. It's not just a cold. It's here, and it's killing people.

    He's border-line peddled the equivalent of essential oils as miracle drugs for COVID-19 - and while it is ultimately up to people to take them, America needs a leader. He was even given a softball like question from the media asking what people should tell their employees, and kids, and he threw a fit. Immediately after the market went from being up 400 points to down 900. People want leadership, and we're not getting it.

  15. #475
    I'm your Huckleberry
    Dakstang's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    21,405
    Rep Power
    311491
      Country                    United States

    Re: Coronavirus

    I see zero poor leadership.

    None.

    Buddy if you try to take my rights you're in for one hell of a fight
    When it comes to my Constitution I'm a true believer
    Come to my house I'll tell you right now, I'll give you my gun
    When you pry it from my cold dead hand, start with my middle finger

  16. #476
    Tag Team Specialist
    Raye's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,105
    Rep Power
    509930
      Country                    Canada

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang View Post
    I see zero poor leadership.

    None.
    Come on now

  17. #477
    Last Real Man Hype
    Marketh's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    18,783
    Rep Power
    770513

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang View Post
    I see zero poor leadership.

    None.
    Because there's a smudge on your scope?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

  18. #478
    WC Hall Of Famer

    Inogenius's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cleveland/London
    Posts
    6,031
    Rep Power
    150080
      Country                    United States

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang View Post
    I see zero poor leadership.

    None.
    I'll play. Here's are some examples of what I'd expect from a good leader.

    1.) Planning: Whether you go back to the firing of the pandemic team, or when we were first made aware of the virus, Donald Trump has completely failed to plan for any scenario of the COVID-19 virus. Not a best case, certainly not the worst case.

    2.) Transparency: We've received limited information on how to get tested, unaware of a realistic timeline and certainly most Americans never received real information as to the threat facing them.

    3.) Honesty: COVID-19 is just a cold. There's treatment available. And the list goes on.

    Trump has failed at all 3.

  19. #479
    Intercontinental Champion
    Thundercat's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,638
    Rep Power
    88605
      Country                    Canada

    Re: Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang View Post
    I see zero poor leadership.

    None.
    Well I guess it's hard to see anything with your head buried that deep in the sand.
    Seriously now, if Trump does have everything open up to go back to normal in a week or two are you gonna go out to a movie? Go see a show? Or go to any large social gathering if he says it's ok?
    I'm honestly curious.

    Sent from my LM-Q910 using Tapatalk

  20. #480
    Cardcaptor
    Sakura's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,386
    Rep Power
    936318

    Re: Coronavirus

    2+ months of doing nothing, downplaying it, telling people it's no worse than a cold, etc. You call that good leadership?

    Refusing to take any responsibility. You call that good leadership?

    Comparing how the president handles a pandemic versus blaming the president for the weather being poor is a moronic comparison.

    You're going from "He's doing great. He's doing excellent leadership" to "There was nothing more he could have done." to "You can't blame the president for what happens, anyway.".

    Instead of the rhetoric that dems just hate America, and will use anything to try and spite him...Has it occurred to you that possibly what the rest of the world and country is saying, is not a lie? That maybe, just maybe, there are times to be critical of the POTUS? That he just might not be doing as good of a job as he's tweeting he is?

    People who overpay at a used car dealership for a lemon leave feeling like they just got this great deal, and feel proud of what they have. In reality, they've been taken for fools by the dealer.
    Everything will surely be alright.



Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •