Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: WC's Fave Five TRIPLE H Matches!!

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: WC's Fave Five TRIPLE H Matches!!

Not too much to say about the Power Trip tag. Its one of the best tag matches I've ever seen with an electric crowd and four guys who you can argue were all at or near their peak. It's also an important match in HHH's career because you can pinpoint it as the moment he stopped being good.

The hell in a cell with Batista is awesome. Definitely a proper use of the stipulation. I loved the story of HHH being extremely violent, only for Batista to be equally violent later in the match. Great great match and truly solidified Batista as a star.

The Bryan match is also terrific. Its certainly the best old man HHH match because they kept the story simple and worked a match unlike most others in WWE.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Watched the Raw match before sending in the five picks and while I didn't vote for it, it's a great match. The crowd is super hot and there is always something going on. In an era where good tag wrestling was mostly in big plunder ladder matches, this reverted to a traditonal style of match perfectly.

The HIAC match is great. I'm not a big fan of Batista, at all, but he and Triple H just clicked in this match. It had everything a great Hell In A Cell match should have. Huge levels of violence, tons of hatred between the opponents, great storytelling and blood. Lots of it. Loved how HHH would set up things like a barbed wire chair being used, the steel steps, the chain whipping only for it to come back to haunt him. Batista looked great and HHH's selling was a big part of that. I think it's ahead of my #2 (which looks like will be in the top 5) because it falls into less tropey things than this match does (and a better finish) but we'll get to that though.

A great HHH match for one so late in his career. Bryan was great and all, and the drama was with his journey, but HHH makes this match for me. Great heel work on top, he attacked the arm is a visually nasty manner. I liked him pulling out new moves to beat Bryan like the tiger suplex, of all things, after failing with the crossface chickenwing. Compare that to Cena and his springboard stunner. God bless Cena but that never really flowed into the match whereas HHH's did.
    We Don't Confrom, Kiss Ass Or Get Married
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

Status
      Country                    United States

Fave Fiiiiiive

5th
    No Way Out 2000 [Hell in a Cell]: Triple H vs. Cactus Jack - 180 (RED #2, OMB #2, Saint Dubb #2, Shock #4, Wolf Beast #4, Mr. Peanutbutter #5, Silk #5)

4th
    No Way Out 2001 [Three Stages of Hell]: Triple H vs. Steve Austin - 200 (MC 16 #2, Keefmoon #2, King Steventon #3, RED #4, Saint Dubb #4, Cameron #4, Jimmy King #4, Wolf Beast #5)
    A pair of consecutive No Way Outs bring us into our top five in style. In 2000, Triple H's iconic feud with Mick Foley came to an end with one of the harrowing cage spots of all time, and the next year just before they struck up a deal to run the company together, Triple H and Stone Cold brawled in the No Way Out midcard in the rare three stages of hell.

Coming up next, we have three matches that if you can believe it were deadlocked at the top of this list at the deadline. I had to solicit more lists to get the tie broken! Tonight, the resolution to one of the tightest fave fives of all time!

Last edited by Silk; 03-15-2020 at 01:59 PM.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

WC Hall of Famer

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Vs Austin - a real proper hate filled epic. Didn't vote for it myself but I don't blame anyone for going for it. I just find the third fall just a little lacklustre.

Vs Foley - I think this is better than the street fight and its between this and Badd Blood 97 for the best HIAC ever. I know the Foley retirement didn't last, but the emotion in this match was off the charts.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Jam Up Guy

Status

Silk, my 2nd place vote was for the Austin 3 Stages of Hell match, not the Foley Hell in a Cell...

Really sad the Rock Backlash 2000 match didn't rank higher, that to me is where the WWF is at it's best. It's not necessarily the "workrate" promotion, but when they get their stories working they can be so much damn fun. I can only imagine the fact that Triple H almost seems like the 4th most important person in the match (behind Rock, Austin and Vince) is why it scores so low, but compared to some of the stuff that came after...

Pleased the Jericho Last Man Standing got some love too. I really wanted to find a place for it as it's one of my low key favourites, but I just couldn't find a slot for it ahead of the 5 I went with.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    Silk, my 2nd place vote was for the Austin 3 Stages of Hell match, not the Foley Hell in a Cell...
    u right. Guess that's what happens when you have two No Way Outs right next to each other. This flip flops the order of these two matches but otherwise doesn't affect the list, sorry about that!

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

WC Hall of Famer

Status

Ready to finish this? Maybe I should let you squirm a little longer.

3rd
    Summerslam 2002 [Unsanctioned Street Fight]: Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels - 350 (Shock #1, Postman Dave #1, Ed #1, The Gipper #2, Silk #2, Todd Chavez #3, Saint Dubb #3, Cameron #3, Keefmoon #3)

We know there's not gonna be a lot of surprises from here on out, and it's not surprising at all to see the finest one-on-one in the HHH/HBK rivalry take a snug third place. Triple H always seems to do well in a street fight environment, and Michaels was clearly saving up four years of big match energy for this one. A world class match, I think none would hesitate to say.

I'll put up our winners tonight. Second place had just ten points more than this one, and the winner just twenty more than that. A photo finish tonight!

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

WC Hall of Famer

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Considering how shit their other matches are, this match is lightning in a bottle. Michaels hadn't wrestled for four years, and Triple H in 2002 was having the worst in-ring year of his career to date. Factor in what we know about their lack of chemistry after this, and you realise that this match had no right to be as good as it was. But it was, it's not only the best match of Triple H's career, I'd also say it's the best non-Undertaker match of Michaels', and one of the best WWE matches of all time. Perfect story, great hatred from Triple H, a genuine fear that Michaels might be crippled in the ring. This match is perfect.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

The match in theory hits all the notes. HHH works the back, Shawn Michaels makes all his signature comebacks and wins. It has big moments, like the ladder spots. And a hot crowd. It should work for me but the match loses its appeal about half way through when they . I don't really feel invested in Michaels when he goes on his extended run of offence and the match is reliant on him showing that he's the same old Shawn Michaels. So it hurts when I don't feel into those key moments.

I'm guessing his match with Cactus Jack at the Rumble is in the next two. The other one is more up in the air. The WM 20 seems most likely but you have the Raw HHH vs HBK match that people love (Hey, I like this match, too).
    Last edited by MC 16; 03-15-2020 at 07:17 PM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I almost included the Hell in a Cell w/ Foley but I went with their Rumble match from the month before instead, and the No Way Out match I went with I just love everything about it.

Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

no thoughts head empty

Status

late on this but, wow i totally blanked on the batista hiac match, that's probably my favorite hell in a cell match besides the first one and probably my favorite batista match ? don't know how i forgot it.

Status

2nd
    Wrestlemania 20: Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Benoit - 360 (RED #1, Saint Dubb #1, Cameron #1, King Steventon #1, Mr. Peanutbutter #1, Silk #1, Postman Dave #3, Shock #5, Ed #5, Smooth Jazz Wolf #5)

And your fave Triple H match of all time...

1st
    Royal Rumble 2000 [Street Fight]: Triple H vs. Cactus Jack - 380 (Keefmoon #1, Wolf Beast #1, Jimmy King #1, The Gipper #1, Postman Dave #2, RED #3, Mr. Peanutbutter #3, Smooth Jazz Wolf #3, MC 16 #4, Ed #4, BoJack Horseman #5)

My favorite Wrestlemania match of all time comes up just short but there's still no denying the magic that Trips, Shawn, and a non-descript third party came up with on the grandest stage. And there's also no shame in losing to yet another grand Mick Foley match, which seems to make Mick the Fave Five king through two entries. I can't say for sure, but I can safely assume he won't be doing it three times in a row.

So thanks everyone who sent in your lists and played along. I know this one took a little longer to play out but what a journey we all had. I'll have a thread up for our next fave five in the coming days, and I'm also happily taking recommendations again so use this space to discuss these two great matches and also pitch some some folks you'd like to see a thread for.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

WC Hall of Famer

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I think that the triple threat from Wrestlemania XX is higher than Triple H's fifth best match (where I placed it on my list), but it felt like more of a favourite Benoit match rather than HHH. It's an all time classic though, and probably the one instance where we all benefited from the reign of terror from Triple H.

The Street Fight is very good, but I've always had a couple of reservations about it. I think it's a fitting number 1 since it's a big match in making Triple H a star and getting him over when nothing else was working for him on his own. But as a match I've always preferred the No Way Out match. The Rock coming out during the handcuff spot will never not annoy me.

Thanks for running this, Silk. Always a pleasure to discuss some Triple H. Hoping for the fave five Kane matches next!

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I'm not a big fan of the Rock spot myself but I guess it makes sense given the Rumble the year prior and the history behind the spot. Maybe it'd be better fit for a different match. The match is great, I just prefer other matches to that one. It's actually not a big gap between any of my choices.

I won't debate against the WM 20 match being this high. I always thought it suffered from a bit awkward pacing in the middle but the quality is still pretty great, I'd say. The finish/title celebration is iconic. The match combines the best aspects of the Triple H and Michaels matches with Benoit being the glue and adding that extra spark to keep it all together and rise the quality overall.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

Pretty good

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Delighted to see the Rumble Streetfight top the list. That one holds a special place in my heart as a fan. I didn't put the WrestleMania match on my list, but it's certainly worthy of its spot on this countdown.

Mick Foley topping two lists in a row too. Foley is Good!

Thanks for running this again, Silk. These countdowns are always fun to see unfold.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information