Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 NFL Offseason Thread

Very Important Lobster

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: 2020 NFL Offseason Thread

I dont see why it wouldnt be a good move for the Patriots to sign Dalton, assuming itll be a low money deal and probably only a year. Stidham isnt proven so even if they do have him start I would want a better QB than Brian Hoyer to back him up. People seem to grab onto the idea that the patriots are gonna tank and I still think they're probably a playoff team and compete to win that division as they always do. The Bills and Jets are getting better and the patriots wont be as good as last year, but I would still favor new England to win that division because they still have what will be a top tier defense. If Stidham doesnt work out Dalton can be a fine game managing QB and still probably be a playoff team.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    You have no idea how much being able to actually see helps improve how you play.
    I've seen a lot of "duh" sports takes over the years but this is far and away the best of them all.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

Cardcaptor

Status

I don't think Dalton is an upgrade over Brady, or Stidham. Saying a lot from me based on my posts about what level I think Brady is at nowadays.

Also for all you Jameis haters, the dude had Lasik surgery back in February and they say his depth perception has improved mightily. I wear glasses, and I've played football without and with them because I can't wear contacts. You have no idea how much being able to actually see helps improve how you play.

Think you're gonna see an entirely new Jameis next time he takes the field.
    It's his pocket presence and awareness I'm worried about, not his accuracy. Even if all you see is blur, that won't completely change if you now have 20/20 but zero awareness and just heave it up. Awareness and mental sharpness is a lot more than just vision.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Broc's totally right about the Patriots and NFC East. They were a playoff team, largely in spite of Brady last season and now they're going to fall by the wayside because Miami has a new rookie QB? (Albeit one I'm a fan of and think could be a star if his body doesn't fall apart) The Bills and Jets both are like TB in the NFC, there's been many a year that they've been predicted to take that step forward. Buffalo is worthy but if you asked me to bet today, I'd still go with New England. I also think that Dalton would be smart, simply because I'm not in love with Stidham as it is and I would love to see Dalton somewhere else. The Bengals mismanaged the offense around him heavily throughout his career and the one part they were good at, 3/4ths of were injured essentially the entire time Dalton was there. I'm not saying he's a future Pro Bowler or anything but nder Belichick I think he could show something that Cincinnati wasn't his fault.

Jameis I predicted it at the end of last year and it's lining up to be true. He's the next generation Fitzpatrick. He can go off for a few game stretch and will hang around for years and years as a mercenary. I'm not really a fan of his or would want him on the Panthers even above Mr. Average who we currently have, but there's room for a guy like Jameis to bounce around and have a fun few games every year.

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Broc's totally right about the Patriots and NFC East. They were a playoff team, largely in spite of Brady last season and now they're going to fall by the wayside because Miami has a new rookie QB? (Albeit one I'm a fan of and think could be a star if his body doesn't fall apart) The Bills and Jets both are like TB in the NFC, there's been many a year that they've been predicted to take that step forward. Buffalo is worthy but if you asked me to bet today, I'd still go with New England. I also think that Dalton would be smart, simply because I'm not in love with Stidham as it is and I would love to see Dalton somewhere else. The Bengals mismanaged the offense around him heavily throughout his career and the one part they were good at, 3/4ths of were injured essentially the entire time Dalton was there. I'm not saying he's a future Pro Bowler or anything but nder Belichick I think he could show something that Cincinnati wasn't his fault.

Jameis I predicted it at the end of last year and it's lining up to be true. He's the next generation Fitzpatrick. He can go off for a few game stretch and will hang around for years and years as a mercenary. I'm not really a fan of his or would want him on the Panthers even above Mr. Average who we currently have, but there's room for a guy like Jameis to bounce around and have a fun few games every year.
    They lost Jamie Collins, Ted Karras, Elandon Roberts, and Kyle Van Noy. Two of them went to Dolphins. Dolphins also acquired a very good CB in Byron Jones from Dallas. It's not like the only change here was Dolphins getting Tua and Pats losing Brady.

New England had a terrible offense and had their entire season stats padded by an easy first half of the season against a handful of really bad teams. The only good teams they beat, they beat by very small margins and didn't really look so hot. Two of their biggest playmakers on defense are gone.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

I actually think the Panthers could be pretty good this season. I don't think they're getting enough credit for upgrading their coaching staff and getting a capable QB to manage possessions and not turn the ball over. Remember, they were a 5-2 team to start last season and were 5-5 and should've beaten the Saints in New Orleans to possibly put together a late playoff push. I don't think they are Super Bowl-caliber good (maybe, who knows?) but 8-8, give or take a win. Then again, maybe the Falcons finally put it together and re-emerge as a playoff team. The NFC South is regularly weird and surprising. I think the Saints are still the best team in the division. I don't think they will be the best team in the division going into the 2021-2022 season, though.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Status

Let me just say this about the Pats and Dalton. I legitimately think they could win a Super Bowl with him as soon as next year.

Now if they see something in Stidham to go that way instead, no franchise has earned that trust more than them. But Dalton is exactly the picture of "good enough."

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Sully McFarland:

" You see, Joe, sight is a great asset to have when playing quarterback in the NFL. If your quarterbacks eyes are closed, his chances of completing passes go down roughly 90 percent, and if his vision is impaired, it goes down about 50 percent. When I asked Tom Brady if he preferred throwing with clear vision or with something in his eye, it was no shock to me, Joe. When he said he prefers clear, unobstructed vision. Back to you, Joe."

Status

Hey it could've been worse. I could have listed out a whole word fort of meaningless stats dating back to the 1950s.

I miss Emerson.

I was just trying to give Jameis Winston some credit, as I feel the poor vision has impacted him as a Quarterback. Like pointed out, maybe it won't solve his biggest flaws. But awareness and mental sharpness are things that can be fixed with coaching. And I've said before that I don't think he was coached correctly in Tampa Bay. He's in a position with way less pressure and an opportunity to turn his career around.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

I think the Panthers could make the playoffs too, but it would take some things falling our way.
    * I think Rhule is an upgrade over Rivera and potentially a large one. Norv did an admirable job last year with a QB that was put in a position over his head last year and Brady has no NFL experience as a coordinator, but he was a mastermind in college. The pieces are there for this staff.

* The offense in general is capable of being very very good if everyone is healthy. CMC, Moore, & Samuel is a dynamic weapon group. Anderson as WR3 is much better than Anderson as WR1 like with the Jets and the O-line was upgraded with Okung and Little moving in.
    *Defense has some holes. It's a true shame Luke retired because if he didn't I'd actually feel pretty good about the front seven, but losing him hurts a lot and the team wasn't good with him last season. I think one of the more puzzling picks of day 1 of the draft was not taking Simmons when we already had Short. The DB corps is rough on paper, there's no real nice way about it. And it's a bad division for that to be an issue with considering every other team is loaded with weapons and the top dog has an all time great at QB. If they were to pull one more move to even get a #2 caliber DB I'd feel a lot better because Jackson wasn't a #1 DB on his own last year and was shaky multiple times as a 2. If someone can step up then we might have something.

*I'm not a fan of the Teddy contract but he's a HUGE upgrade over Allen. We have enough weapons that this team won't tank like people say and compliment Teddy. He just needs to do more on his own than he did last year, his tape in NO was far from awe inspiring. If he can then the offense can be prolific. I think a floor for them is 6 wins and people will predict less. If the defensive backfield doesn't play above expectations it's hard to see how we could compete for the division though even if things get crazy. Maybe a 7th seed. If there's a hidden gem cover corner then we could be something but I just don't know, they didn't go high enough corner sadly to me...

Cardcaptor

Status

I think the biggest hurdle for Panthers is simply being in a very competitive division, honestly. I definitely agree they can be quite good.

And Jameis, I dunno. I mean...He's really a wild one. 5k yards 30 TDs................30 ints. Sometimes looks great. Sometimes terrible. Who knows? Maybe he ends up amazing. Maybe terrible and worse. You never know if he's gonna have a 5 TD game or a 5 int game.

Teams I'm thinking could have a good next few years and bright future, outside the obvious ones:

Cardinals and Broncos.

Indy Talent

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    I think the biggest hurdle for Panthers is simply being in a very competitive division, honestly. I definitely agree they can be quite good.

And Jameis, I dunno. I mean...He's really a wild one. 5k yards 30 TDs................30 ints. Sometimes looks great. Sometimes terrible. Who knows? Maybe he ends up amazing. Maybe terrible and worse. You never know if he's gonna have a 5 TD game or a 5 int game.

Teams I'm thinking could have a good next few years and bright future, outside the obvious ones:

Cardinals and Broncos.
    Panthers finish last in their division this year. The owner has to understand they're in a rebuild mode. Atlanta improved this offseason, particularly the Todd Gurley signing, and some additions on the defensive side of the ball. Tampa Bay is now Tompa Brady, 'nuff said. And New Orleans just are the overall best team in that division and have been for some time now, but are on their last leg with Brees nearing retirement. The Panthers used the ENTIRE draft to rebuild a defense, but it'll take time especially after losing McCoy, Poe, and Kuechly. Next offseason they'll probably rebuild that offense.. and then give Rhule two more years to get things together.

As for the Cardinals, I like what they've done in rebuilding. I'm still not a believer in Kyler Murray, but if he can't get it done throwing to Kirk, Fitz, and Hopkins, we'll know soon whether he's the guy or the organization needs to look elsewhere. And I LOVE the Isaiah Simmons pick, it's such an Arizona move. Reminds me when they drafted Mathieu and Peterson, a defensive player who is better classified as a defensive athlete. Simmons should be the best defensive player in this draft in 5 years.

But right now, they have the Panther syndrome being in a tough division. Seattle and San Fran are no slouches. The Rams are okay, but they're beginning to lose way too many pieces. Arizona's still a solid third team in the division, hovering around .500.

Denver, honestly, depends on Drew Lock and his development. There's still some holes, like adding a proven receiver and bulking the linebacker and secondary depth, but they're interesting. IF Lock is good this year, I don't see why they can't be second in the division and competing for a wild card spot. I do commend them taking Jerry Jeudy, what a steal to land in their lap in the first round after their in-division rivals take Jeudy's Bama teammate Ruggs. The Raiders are going to be lit up by Jeudy for ten years and they deserve it.

Cardcaptor

Status

So, Andy Dalton is a Dallas Cowboy.

Status

So, Andy Dalton is a Dallas Cowboy.
    Makes sense in hindsight with him being from Texas and playing at TCU.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

For a backup slot, you can do much worse than Dallas for him.

Cardcaptor

Status

Quite true.

Also good backup plan in case Dak holds out. Potential leverage, in itself as well.

There's really no rational reason to not think Dallas can have an extremely good year. They had a very good draft. They have a completely loaded offense. They have a solid defense. They got a legitimately good coach leading them for a change.

Granted, Redskins have a pretty beefy defense now and Haskins is pretty good. Giants have.......well, a QB who fumbles more than he throws TDs. Eagles can't stay healthy, ever. Drafted...oddly.

But then again, I can't say how many times Dallas has come out with a SB caliber team and gone 8-8.

Status

Quite true.

Also good backup plan in case Dak holds out. Potential leverage, in itself as well.

There's really no rational reason to not think Dallas can have an extremely good year. They had a very good draft. They have a completely loaded offense. They have a solid defense. They got a legitimately good coach leading them for a change.

Granted, Redskins have a pretty beefy defense now and Haskins is pretty good. Giants have.......well, a QB who fumbles more than he throws TDs. Eagles can't stay healthy, ever. Drafted...oddly.

But then again, I can't say how many times Dallas has come out with a SB caliber team and gone 8-8.

Have you told us who your new favorite team is?

Cardcaptor

Status

Have you told us who your new favorite team is?
    Tbh, I don't really know. New England would be too easy, and despite watching them as a kid and always having that "home team soft spot" for them, they just never felt "right". The cheating scandals, the local fans, the non-stop winning, etc. Meh. I also never really cared for the uniforms. =/

Dallas....I dunno. That goes back ages for me, thanks to King of The Hill. But the Jerry Jones circus, focus on money not winning, etc. It's just soured a lot on me. And it seems like so many of the players are so focused on the money not wins, too.

I like that both Rams and Ravens have UMaine players on them, so that's cool. I like the Ravens mascot and uniforms, which is also neat. The schemes and trick plays and stuff are up my alley. It's also not really that far away, so going to a game or two now and then wouldn't be too hard. But that'd be kind of bandwagon-esque, and I'm not sold on it. Rams have cool unis and a cool logo. Also have fun playcalling. But I don't really have any plans to either move to or visit LA, and eh...Kinda not feeling 'em?

I have a bit of a soft spot for two other teams, which are kind of random. First being Cardinals. Birds are cool, the logos and unis are cool. Kyler is a good dude, and Kliff is a good coach with a ton of fun schemes. I've always admired Fitzgerald, too. I also like how they are underdogs with very little actual success and no SBs, so it's far from a bandwagon thing. Down to earth fanbase, if there even is one. I'm also at some point within the next 4 years going to summer in Arizona for school thing.

The other team, is oddly the Redskins. Dunno why. Maybe it's the Stan Smith / American Dad thing. Maybe it's the mustard yellow uniforms. Not so sure how I feel on the logo, though. I also think the owner is one of the worst in sports. lol

Things I like and are important to me in a team:

Cool logo.
    Cool mascot.
    Cool uniforms.
    Integrity. No major scandals all the time.
    A focus on loyalty to fans and winning among players and the team.
    Not bad fanbase. I know all have some crummy ones, but not...Well, not Pats/Cowboys bad.
    Entertaining play calling or traditional smash mouth football. Fullbacks, tight ends blocking, etc.
    Ideally a state that I'd kind of dig either visiting for games, or some day working in and being a "transplant fan".
    Not some bandwagon team. I don't want to really invest in, research the history of, travel to games, and make this a long term fandom just on some success. The success, obviously, is not as big to me as the other aspects. In fact, a more "obscure" team would be more my thing, after the whole Pats/Cowboys biz. To hear "Wow. You're a ___ fan? Damn. Don't see those often!" is neat.

Cardcaptor

Status

This deserves a double post.

Earl Thomas wife caught him cheating on her, in a bed with other women and his brother. She proceeded to chase him around with a knife, and a gun that is believed to be Earls ended up in her hands and she held him at gunpoint.

Now people have dug up a bunch of old tweets from Earl, going on about hanging with his brother. And his brother making comments about double teaming people.

So, that's a thing.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

Cool logo.
    Cool mascot.
    Cool uniforms.
    Integrity. No major scandals all the time.
    A focus on loyalty to fans and winning among players and the team.
    Not bad fanbase. I know all have some crummy ones, but not...Well, not Pats/Cowboys bad.
    Entertaining play calling or traditional smash mouth football. Fullbacks, tight ends blocking, etc.
    Ideally a state that I'd kind of dig either visiting for games, or some day working in and being a "transplant fan".
    Not some bandwagon team. I don't want to really invest in, research the history of, travel to games, and make this a long term fandom just on some success. The success, obviously, is not as big to me as the other aspects. In fact, a more "obscure" team would be more my thing, after the whole Pats/Cowboys biz. To hear "Wow. You're a ___ fan? Damn. Don't see those often!" is neat.
    Cool logo? Check.
    Cool mascot? Check.
    Cool uniforms? Check.
    Integrity. No major scandals all the time. Check.
    A focus on loyalty to fans and winning among players and the team. Check.
    Not bad fanbase. I know all have some crummy ones, but not...Well, not Pats/Cowboys bad. Check. They're notorious for being wild and fun at tailgates
    Entertaining play calling or traditional smash mouth football. Fullbacks, tight ends blocking, etc. Check.
    Ideally a state that I'd kind of dig either visiting for games, or some day working in and being a "transplant fan". Check. It's a cool city, and close to one of the best cities in North America.
    Not some bandwagon team. I don't want to really invest in, research the history of, travel to games, and make this a long term fandom just on some success. The success, obviously, is not as big to me as the other aspects. In fact, a more "obscure" team would be more my thing, after the whole Pats/Cowboys biz. To hear "Wow. You're a ___ fan? Damn. Don't see those often!" is neat. Check, x100. You better be ready for heartbreak.

Your new team is ...

THE BUFFALO BILLS!

You could also go with the Titans, Saints, or Lions.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information