Thread: WWE Monday Night Raw Live Discussion - January 17, 2020

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

Raw WWE Monday Night Raw Live Discussion - January 17, 2020

Monday Night Raw Preview
    January 17, 2020

Matt Hardy to battle Randy Orton in a No Holds Barred match

This past Monday on Raw, Randy Orton subjected Matt Hardy to the same brutal Con-Chair-To that sent Edge out of Raw on a stretcher. Now, Hardy is coming for payback.

In the wake of Orton’s heinous attack, the former Raw Tag Team Champion is now slated to battle The Apex Predator in a No Holds Barred Match, placing Orton directly on a collision course with his most recent victim — to say nothing of a Superstar who refuses to take the abuse lying down. After all, Hardy is as much a trailblazer as Edge, and his history is almost completely entwined with that of The Rated-R Superstar. Then again, Randy Orton seems to take a particular delight in destroying legends these days. He’ll be more than happy to do it again.

Tune in to Monday Night Raw, live tonight at 8/7 C on USA Network.

What lies ahead for Becky Lynch in the wake of Shayna Baszler's attack?

There are statements, and then there are statements. Two-time NXT Women’s Champion Shayna Baszler literally taking a bite out of Becky Lynch during a shocking Raw attack is the latter. But what lies around the corner for The Queen of Spades and The Man?

That’s the question, isn’t it? Lynch seemed to be back to her usual fiery self shortly thereafter, driving her own ambulance to and from the hospital and showing up at the WrestleMania 37 press conference looking not too worse for wear. Her fighting spirit stayed strong, as well, as the Raw Women’s Champion emphatically informed her attacker, “You’d better find me before I find you.” A warning, or a challenge? Either way, someone is the target, and this grisly game between two of the best is just getting started.

Seth Rollins to hold "sermon" on Monday Night Raw

Come one, come all: The Monday Night Messiah is holding his first sermon.

Hot off the heels of a decisive (if slightly underhanded) Eight-Man Tag Team victory, Seth Rollins will host a “sermon” this Monday on Raw. What, exactly, The Monday Night Messiah will preach to the masses is anybody’s guess, and Rollins is keeping his cards close to the vest on this one. Nevertheless, this Monday, he intends to lay out the path to salvation before us. Who will walk it?

Rusev & Humberto Carrillo battle Bobby Lashley and Angel Garza

If looks could kill – well then Lana would already be counting a victory for Bobby Lashley & Angel Garza. On Monday Night Raw however, the real contest will be decided in the ring as Rusev & Humberto Carrillo will face The All Mighty and “the man’s man.”

Lana set the stage for Lashley & Garza to combine forces in an effort to take out each of their enemies in one fell swoop.

Zelina Vega was quick to put any rumors to bed and kept Valentine’s Day a strictly business holiday.

Now Lashley & Garza will now have to back up the social media talk in a highly personal tag team match.

Who will emerge victorious among these newly formed alliances?

Catch the tag team clash tonight at 8/7 C on the USA Network.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

VOTE IN TICKET WARS VII - THE FINALS!!
    Shock vs. Ed

King EC

Status

Re: WWE Monday Night Raw Live Discussion - January 17, 2020

How the hell can you not like what they're doing with Randy Orton lately?

Shock vs. Ed

King EC

Status

Rowan in an actual match eh?

Shock vs. Ed

MR WRESTLEMANIA

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peanutbutter View Post
    How the hell can you not like what they're doing with Randy Orton lately?
    What’s really odd is I’d be down for them to do orton vs hardy at the chamber as part of the build for the edge match, but I don’t think that’s happening as Matt is due to leave. If a match isn’t happening, then this just becomes another week where orton talks for 10 minutes and nothing is real said.

King EC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    What’s really odd is I’d be down for them to do orton vs hardy at the chamber as part of the build for the edge match, but I don’t think that’s happening as Matt is due to leave. If a match isn’t happening, then this just becomes another week where orton talks for 10 minutes and nothing is real said.
    I feel you on that. Overall I'd have to say Orton has really been very steady the last couple of years, having a few surprisingly good matches and virtually no major duds in recent memory. His character work is as good as it's ever been too. I've really loved everything he's been involved in for a while now.

Shock vs. Ed

MR WRESTLEMANIA

Status

When I saw the lineup for the Womens Elimination Chamber, I just assumed that they are taking it easy on Kairi Sane still after TLC, but then she's wrestling on this show and picking up a win over Natalya? I don't get it. Why not put her in the match instead of Sarah Logan who I can't remember the last time I saw her win a match on TV.

Bobby Lashley and Rusev have been feuding since September. Can we move the fuck on from this already?

King EC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    When I saw the lineup for the Womens Elimination Chamber, I just assumed that they are taking it easy on Kairi Sane still after TLC, but then she's wrestling on this show and picking up a win over Natalya? I don't get it. Why not put her in the match instead of Sarah Logan who I can't remember the last time I saw her win a match on TV.

Bobby Lashley and Rusev have been feuding since September. Can we move the fuck on from this already?
    It's actually kind of impressive they've kept a feud going this long. I haven't hated it either. But I imagine it's continuing simply because they haven't decided what they want to do with either guy going forward yet.

Sarah Logan just defies all logic for me. She was on the Raw Survivor Series team. She was in the Rumble match and her little tiff with Charlotte was one of the only "stories" leading into the match. And now she's in the Elimination Chamber. All of this while never winning any matches or even cutting a promo. You could take a local talent and put them in her place and no one would even question it.

Shock vs. Ed

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Owens and Rollins' feud will be pushing a similar length of time by now too, won't it?

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

MR WRESTLEMANIA

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Owens and Rollins' feud will be pushing a similar length of time by now too, won't it?

That seems to have been going on since November, but they've at least they've done enough to keep that somewhat interesting and elevated other talent around them. What's Rusev/Lashley given us?

Corbin/Roman also seems like a feud that's been going on forever.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Brief Raw thoughts:

- Everything involving Orton has been very good. Sadistic Orton certainly suits him, and he seems to be motivated once again.

- Black vs Rowan was a perfect TV match, I thought it was superb for what it was. I think/hope they have big things planned for Black.

- Charlotte is still a horrible promo.

- Drew McIntyre is doing absolutely nothing for me in this role. He's been given that horrible Roman Reigns "come out smiling and being cheesy" shit that they love to try with the babyfaces they're trying to push to the moon. Every week he's coming out smiling, making jokes, and at least the fans are enjoying it. I am not.

- Shayna and Becky is ticking along nicely too. Loved the little interaction between the two.

- Angel Garza is a gem and the tag match involving him was surprisingly fun.

- I didn't watch the Seth promo.

- The last part of the show was the weakest Raw has been in some time.

- I didn't watch the main event.

- Overall good show again though

MR WRESTLEMANIA

Status

Rowan/Black was a nice step up from what Black usually does. Thought Rowan really sold the first black mass well. On one hand I feel like you put the US title on Black at mania, but then at the same time he feels like someone that could step up to Universal title level post mania when Drew will need some new opponents.

I think Orton is executing his stuff well at the moment, but I can't be excited by it. It's a retread of 2018 Psycho Orton which was a retread of early Viper days Orton, and this is 3 weeks in a row he's done the 15 minute segment that ends in a long beatdown with chairs thing. And the hook in all this is going to be that we're gonna get an explanation to this confusing attack by Orton when it's been part of his character's DNA his whole career that he's not to be trusted, he's super selfish, he's a bit psycho, whatever Orton gives as a reason isn't going to heat this angle up anymore or take the feud in a whole new direction. This is what happens when you start an angle in January with a part timer, you've got all these weeks of build to fill without the physical presence of one of the guys in the match. And at the end of the day, it's Randy fucking Orton in 2020, all this time is going into a match between two guys in their 40s at mania who didn't have good matches together in their prime. There's gonna be a limit to how behind this I can get when there's talented guys in their prime years like a Kevin Owens who will probably have scraps come mania.

I know what you're saying about Drew Shock with his promos, it seems like WWE often get themselves into that problem with Royal Rumble winners in keeping them hot and interesting in that limbo February time where they can't really interact with the champion yet because the champion has another title defence to get through. Because it's still early days in Drew's face turn, I really don't mind it and think it's encouraging he's still getting strong reactions from the crowd and they aren't rejecting him. Once Brock gets his match with Ricochet out of the way, Drew needs to move away from the segments where he's forceably trying to be the fan's best friend.
    Last edited by Ed; 02-18-2020 at 07:05 PM.

WAKE UP

Status

Black vs Rowan on paper is a pretty unpredictable match, which is why it's good, but it seems they've killed Rowan's push and ferret gimmick.

Life is too short to sit through long Charlotte or Seth promos. Amazing they are two of the worst promos they have despite how much time they have doing it. Cody is laughing his ass off watching these geeks. Rollins is totally forced in his role but his crew vs RAW sekigun is a fun fued.

Becky is beyond stale at this point and her promos now also suck. Shayna was great, give her the fucking belt. This EC match is beyond pointless and WWE trope-ism at its dirt worst. No one cares.

The Drew push is really baffling in execution. They are clearly high on him, pushing him vs Lesnar for a WM main event. Yet all he has done is squash goobers in 30 seconds. Who was the last credible worker he beat? Squashing MVP with a KO move in 10 seconds does little for him. They should have him beat actual name guys high in the pecking order. He doesn't even have a match at the upcoming PPV. I can still see them putting over him Lesnar, but it's just a very bizarre push. Atleast Reigns actually beat guys en route to his big title matches.
    Last edited by King Steventon; 02-18-2020 at 07:55 PM.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I don't think Orton's explanation needs to be anything other than "I did it because I'm Randy Orton". We know enough about his character to know that is enough. Anything else would just feel a bit tacked on.

King EC

Status

Hmmm. I don't get your comment about this Randy Orton being a reatread of 2018 psycho Orton and early Viper Orton, Ed. It just feels like a weird comment to make, especially in a disparaging sense. Orton's character is that he is unstable. It's been that way for over 10 years. He goes through spells of being more subdued and/or cocky, but I think it could almost be considered a nuance of his character that at any given moment he could snap back into a psychotic frame of mind. I could only understand this being a criticism if it's your opinion that psychotic Randy Orton is a bad Randy Orton. If that's the case, then fair enough. But personally psychotic Randy Orton has always been my favorite Randy Orton. So to me, that comment is almost like saying "eh, this whole Cactus Jack thing is just a retread of 1997 Cactus Jack, which itself was a retread of pre-WWF Cactus Jack". Not that psycho Orton is as good as Cactus Jack, but I think you get what I'm saying.

I do agree however that they don't need to make some kind of convoluted explanation for Orton's behavior. Really, I think it would draw the most heat if he just never explained his behavior, continued to dodge questions about it and just murdered everyone who had something to say about it. Like Shock said, he's meant to be a crazy person. It's fair enough for them to just say he's a volatile motherfucker and something about Edge's return clearly triggered him and leave it at that.

Who know how things will go though. All I can say is that at the present moment I think Randy Orton is one of the best things going in wrestling.

Same for Drew, but I think I've done enough gushing over him in the past several months that I don't really need to explain why I love what's going on with him.

Shock vs. Ed

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status
      Country                    Poland

The Lashley/Rusev feud is going on still because I imagine Vince thinks it's hilarious that Rusev keeps losing because "lol he's a cuck who lost his wife!"

WCW 99: The Fingerpoke of Doom
    Now Playing in BTB Section!

MR WRESTLEMANIA

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peanutbutter View Post
    Hmmm. I don't get your comment about this Randy Orton being a reatread of 2018 psycho Orton and early Viper Orton, Ed. It just feels like a weird comment to make, especially in a disparaging sense. Orton's character is that he is unstable. It's been that way for over 10 years. He goes through spells of being more subdued and/or cocky, but I think it could almost be considered a nuance of his character that at any given moment he could snap back into a psychotic frame of mind. I could only understand this being a criticism if it's your opinion that psychotic Randy Orton is a bad Randy Orton. If that's the case, then fair enough. But personally psychotic Randy Orton has always been my favorite Randy Orton. So to me, that comment is almost like saying "eh, this whole Cactus Jack thing is just a retread of 1997 Cactus Jack, which itself was a retread of pre-WWF Cactus Jack". Not that psycho Orton is as good as Cactus Jack, but I think you get what I'm saying.
    Well I guess my point is it's not very interesting for Randy Orton to walk down a path that I've seen him walk down time and again in his career, and to couple it with 'oh how could you Randy?' storytelling and it leading ultimately to a match with Edge doesn't make it anymore exciting. I feel like your point of he's been like this for 10 years and he can snap back into it at any time doesn't really help the argument, because that just means his character can easily return to being bland after mania, so why be invested in his future prospects. I was into the Jeff Hardy feud and thought that rehabbed Orton to a place where he could challenge for the WWE title again, but then he just dropped that edgy side of his character and oddly now going from screwdrivers in Hardy's ear to chairshots feels like the 2020 Orton isn't as sick and twisted as the 2018 version. idk, I guess I prefer the Chris Jericho/Daniel Bryan approach of trying new things every couple of years to reinvent yourself and stay relevant at the top of a company as opposed to 'well I guess we're back to this version of Orton again' which when you've had 15 years on top as a singles guy in the same company, with the same look, with the same moveset, kinda limits your options for fresh storylines.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I can definitely see that point, that Orton hasn't changed it up in a long time. He is only reverting back to an old character and not anything new. I do think that's a fair criticism and reason to be sceptical.

Thread Information