Thread: US Indy Match YES/NO thread

WAKE UP

Status

US Indy Match YES/NO thread

Same concept as here - http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=174120

I think best to separate US and Euro indies as it could get super crowded overwise.

Nominations require an explanation/reason. Let's watch and talk good wrestling for the year of our lord 2020.

NOMINATIONS:

Daniel Makabe vs Curt Stallion, NSPW 'Alpha 3' - 0 YES, 1 NO
    Kevin Ku vs Daniel Makabe, SUP 'Stay Cold' - 2 YES, 0 NO

The Briscoes vs Bandido/Flamita, ROH Free Enterprise - 1 YES, 0 NO
    Rickey Shane Page vs Nick Gage, GCW Run Rickey Run - 0 YES, 2 NO
    Erick Stevens vs Josh Alexander, BLP Quantum Leap
    Last edited by King Steventon; 04-09-2020 at 02:12 PM.

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: US Indy Match YES/NO thread

Question are Canadian indies going to go into this thread?

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

WAKE UP

Status

Good question, that's going to be a yes.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

I nominated Kevin Ku vs Daniel Makabe from SUPs Stay Cold show on the 5th. Your mileage may vary of Southern US indie wrestling but there is a ton of smart selling in the match from both guys. Kevin Ku especially with his knee at one point. Some generally good strikes mixed in with the mat based wrestling Makabe implements.

WAKE UP

Status

Nominate

The Briscoes vs Bandido/Flamita, ROH Free Enterprise

Really good workrate/action heavy match. The Briscoes bring the structure, allowing the luchadors to hit a bunch of their stuff without this descending into a mess. Both teams bust out cool double-team moves, all of the big spots looked great and all the 'in-between' stuff was all simple, hard-hitting action that looked good. Even Bandido, who I am usually unimpressed by, ate a gnarly bump towards the end. This was worked at a fast-pace with lots of quality action that felt competitive without ever going overboard, and ended when it should have done (refreshing!)

Main Eventer

Status

Huge Yes to Briscoes vs Flamita and Bandido. Match was bonkers
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    I nominated Kevin Ku vs Daniel Makabe from SUPs Stay Cold show on the 5th. Your mileage may vary of Southern US indie wrestling but there is a ton of smart selling in the match from both guys. Kevin Ku especially with his knee at one point. Some generally good strikes mixed in with the mat based wrestling Makabe implements.
    Kevin Ku vs. Daniel Makabe: YES - A good call by MC here. These guys wrestle a very intelligent match. Won't be among my MOTYs or anything like that but for what it is and where it took place, they definitely brought it. I think this match would really endear you to Kevin Ku if you hadn't watched much from him before (which I hadn't) and it just reinforces how good Makabe is. Coincidentally, I didn't even mean to watch this match. I checked out this show because I was interested in this tag team I stumbled upon on Twitter called The Mason Dixon Line, and their match was on right before this one. Then I remembered MC recommending the match in here so I stuck around for it. Glad I did.

On a side note, The Mason Dixon Line are awesome.

Now I'm going to nominate Daniel Makabe vs. Curt Stallion from the New South Pro Wrestling Alpha 3 event on January 4, 2020. Personally I feel this might have been a bit better than Makabe's match with Ku. It's not often a match on a low level indie company really has the ability to suck me in the way this match did. The mat work was awesome, the striking was stiff, and they sprinkled in some sequences that really gave the match a little extra umph. Not to oversell this thing, but it gave me a very strong prime ROH vibe. Or even a current NXT vibe. Not to say it's on the same level as the best matches from those companies, but it was damn good and made me kinda feel like that was what I was watching. Similar to Ku, I think Stallion came out of this one looking fantastic.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

NOMINATION: Rickey Shane Page vs. Nick Gage - GCW Run Rickey Run (15/02/2020)

This was amazing, I'm not even that big of a fan of the Nick Gage matches these days but this was just something that I connected with. I think how you feel about this match depends on how you feel about the extremley overbooked finish. I personally think it works because of the reaction it got post--match which was a riot. The heat for the match is great, the brawling is pretty great as well. RSP is a great slimy heel and is the perfect foil for a hipsterish crowd like GCW has and with Nick Gage at the top.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

No to Sabre Jr Vs Ospreay, but yes to two garbage wrestlers having a deathmatch

I haven't watched the match, and I think RSP is an abysmal wrestler so I can't see myself finding the time for it, but I listened to a podcast last week where one guy thought the match was fantastic and went 4.5 stars and the other two lads hated it and gave it .25 stars, so the range of reviews this match is getting is unbelievably vast and I don't doubt that this is a match that if you love the style, you can tell it's on a different level to what you usually get in a GCW deathmatch.

WAKE UP

Status

Rickey Shane Page vs Nick Gage - NO. Clusterfuck/ECW/fake-nWo finish with the borderline riot breaking out was definitely a wild moment and crazy crowd reaction, but the match itself was bottom of the barrel garbage match stuff. Most of the match was just meandering crowd brawling that was all pretty boring until the interference stuff, and even that felt overdone.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

And I didn't expect any different from either of you.

WAKE UP

Status

I like deathmatch wrestling when done in certain ways, but Nick Gage is no Matt Tremont let alone Necro Butcher.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I totally get that. I like Gage to an extent but I don't usually love him. Necro is Necro. Totally different levels.

Loved the Tremont match from the same show btw. It's gross

King EC

Status

Gonna go ahead and toss a NO on RSP vs. Gage as well.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

NO shouldnt count without justification e_e

King EC

Status

The match was mid.

King EC

Status

Nomination time

Erick Stevens (c) vs. Josh Alexander for the BLP Heavyweight Championship at Black Label Pro's Quantum Leap event on 2/29/20.

This is no MOTYC BUT man, this match was so good. Both men brought great striking and technical prowess to the table, and the intensity was palpable. Josh Alexander is quickly becoming one of my favorite wrestlers to watch because he can wrestle with the best of them and he carries himself like a star. Seemingly the biggest pop of the match is when he pulls the straps down on his singlet and very matter of factly tells Stevens to lay a chop into him. The level of stiffness and technical fluidity on display in this match... it wouldn't be terribly out of place on an old AJPW card. Really a shame that Erick is retiring after Mania weekend, it sure seems to me like the passion is there for him to have many more productive years in the business.

WAKE UP

Status

Makabe vs Stallion - NO. This was my first time watching Stallion and wasn't impressed. I got a strong fake badass vibe and that no-sell power up was terrible. Match didn't have much of a flow, which is a phrase I hate to use but to give an idea of what I mean - one minute they were grappling on the mat, the next there's a superplex, and I couldn't tell you how we got there. Makabe did some cool things but a lot didn't feel organic.

Makabe vs Ku - YES. Early grappling was good and I enjoyed how it Ku got frustrated at not being able to gain the advantage in the wrestling, so resorted to the curb stomp. Both guys brought it from there. Awesome showing from Makabe in particular, who was really laying it the fuck in with those shots. Loved him busting out the Masa Fuchi stretch across the turnbuckle, then taking a nasty tumble to the floor. Good match.

Thread Information