Thread: Impact Wrestling Match YES/NO Thread

WAKE UP

Status

Impact Wrestling Match YES/NO Thread

Same concept as here - http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=174120

Nominations require an explanation/reason. Let's watch and talk good wrestling in the year of our lord 2020.

NOMINATIONS:

Eddie Edwards vs Michael Elgin, Hard To Kill - 1 YES, 0 NO
    Sami Callihan vs Tessa Banchard, Hard To Kill - 1 YES, 0 NO

Vikingo vs TJP, 4/2 - 1 YES, 0 NO
    Last edited by King Steventon; 02-06-2020 at 03:58 AM.

WAKE UP

Status

Re: Impact Wrestling Match YES/NO Thread

Nominate

Sami Callihan vs Tessa Blanchard - Hard To Kill

I thought this was even better than the match last year while building on top of it. Sami was great here, forget all the spitting on people shit, he kept the heat up through the match, keeping the tension up and escalating his offence through the match. Good legwork stuff and I thought Tessa sold it all really well, even for someone who uses a jumping Codebreaker as a finisher. Plenty of big moments, stiffness, and strong storytelling. They did telepgraph some spots, but that's minor. Off the top of my head this may have been the best intergender match I've ever seen.

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

Excellent. Well I'll start with some of the best matches of the last couple years that may have not cracked the mainstream radar like Sami/Tessa and Sami/Pentagon.

LAX vs. Lucha Bros - Rebellion 2019

This is one that will depend on your stance on spotfests I guess because it's Full Metal Mayhem and it's chock full of death defying stunts. Personally I think this surpasses Young Bucks vs. Lucha Bros from All Out. Feels like there's more animosity in this one, and it also feels like both teams want to win more, opposed to the All Out match where it seemed more like they were trying to one-up each other.

Brian Cage vs. Sami Callihan - Bound For Glory 2019

The main event of this year's Bound For Glory was a wonderfully violent affair between Cage and Callihan. It was reminscenent to the amazing match Pentagon and Callihan had at Slammiversary 2018 but with less of the theatrics like the spike spots and the ref getting his arm broke (although I did enjoy those aspects, to be clear). More of a straightforward fight and again... you get the sense Cage really wants to kill Callihan and avenge his wife, while Sami as usual is willing to do whatever it takes to get the win.

Number One Contender's Elimination Challenge - Impact Wrestling November 19, 2019

This match isn't going to blow you away or anything but it's definitely a fun potentially hidden gem. This match is like a gauntlet basically. Two people start, one gets eliminated, the next person comes out. Someone gets eliminated, the next person comes out. The winner of the last fall gets a title shot. Competitors in this match were Daga, Moose, Michael Elgin, Rich Swann, Brian Cage and Tessa Blanchard so I'd say there's not a weak link in that group. Rich Swann is the star of this match and this might be a bold statement, but Imma say his fiery underdog performance in this match is better than Kofi's performance in either of his gauntlet matches. I won't go so far as to say it's better than the Chamber performance, but it's damn good.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career
    Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

Sorry I should have clarified, this is for this year.
    Last edited by King Steventon; 01-25-2020 at 05:30 PM.

King EC

Status

Ah well my mistake!

Here's something then...

Michael Elgin vs. Eddie Edwards - Hard To Kill

Eddie's "Call Your Shot" trophy is one the line in this one. Edwards is still playing what most closely resembles a Tommy Dreamer tribute act but he ditches most of that nonsense for this fight with the resident bully Michael Elgin. Edwards turns back the clock and these two go at each other early 2010s ROH style with a dash of hardcore brutality. Really it's exactly what I hoped it would be when it was announced. Unfortunately I can't quite rank it over Tessa/Sami when there was so much riding in that match, but I think if you watched both matches with no context, you'd likely say Edwards/Elgin was MOTN.

Spoiler:

MADMIN KING

Status
      Country                    England

Tessa/Sami - YES, although I do prefer their first match together and think this one is much more about how great Sami was than what Tessa did.

Elgin/Edwards - YES, but again I don't think it's great and it could turn into a forgettable match in a few weeks with another 7 sequels to this match coming out in the next few months. This was a match that really lifted the PPV and had a nice heel/face dynamic running through a stiff workrate match that the crowd were more into than anything but the main event. That one annoying family really loved Edwards.

Nomination - Vikingo Vs TJP 4/2/20 - Great little TV match this week on Impact, Vikingo starts off by doing some of his flashy diving moves and to newcomers that might seem like he's a one trick pony, but then TJP slows the match down with his submissions and Vikingo then busts out his own unique submissions like a standing bow and arrow, so there's more to his game than just the flying. I had to replay the finish because it happened so fast. This has me excited for TJP in the BOSJ hopefully.

King EC

Status

Vikingo Vs TJP 4/2/20 - YES - I've loved what I've seen from Vikingo over the last two weeks. And TJP, well, I've always known I liked him. It's surprising Impact isn't using him in more high profile situations. Ed kinda said it all. It was a banger of a match that basically came out of nowhere.

Spoiler:

MADMIN KING

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peanutbutter View Post
    TJP, well, I've always known I liked him. It's surprising Impact isn't using him in more high profile situations
    How do you find time on Hard to Kill for a Rhino and Moose match, but you can't get TJP on the show. He wasn't even on Bound for Glory either! There's way more you could be getting out of this guy, he could be a centrepiece of the X-Division, get a nice feud going with Ace Austin, or maybe you push him super hard and have him challenge Tessa (twitter would have a field day).....or why wasn't he Willie Mack's stand in partner for HTK if you're just gonna involve the North in his business a few weeks later. You can slot this guy in anywhere on the card and it would work.

King EC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    How do you find time on Hard to Kill for a Rhino and Moose match, but you can't get TJP on the show. He wasn't even on Bound for Glory either! There's way more you could be getting out of this guy, he could be a centrepiece of the X-Division, get a nice feud going with Ace Austin, or maybe you push him super hard and have him challenge Tessa (twitter would have a field day).....or why wasn't he Willie Mack's stand in partner for HTK if you're just gonna involve the North in his business a few weeks later. You can slot this guy in anywhere on the card and it would work.
    I kinda have to think that it's his choice to not be used as much. I just don't see any other logical explanation. You can tell Callis loves him just by his commentary.

I just hope we get a good run out of him while they got him.

Spoiler:

[Speak Like A Child]

Status

The amount TJP has moved around, I dunno, he seems like a solid hand to have around but not someone to invest in long term.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

MADMIN KING

Status

Actually he does tours in the US for NJPW so maybe with that promotion being his priority, Impact are wary of using someone in big angles who could disappear for a few weeks at a time to do a tour.

Thread Information