Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AEW Match YES/NO Thread

WAKE UP

Status

AEW Match YES/NO Thread

Same concept as here - http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=174120

Nominations require an explanation/reason. Let's watch good wrestling.

NOMINATIONS:

Cody vs Darby Allin, Dynamite 1/1 - 3 YES, 0 NO

Cody vs Wardlow, Dynamite 19/2 - 1 YES, 0 NO
    Kenny Omega vs PAC, Dynamite 26/2 - 2 YES, 0 NO
    Darby Allin vs Sammy Guevara, Revolution - 3 YES, 0 NO
    Kenny Omega/Adam Page vs The Young Bucks, Revolution - 2 YES, 1 NO
    PAC vs Orange Cassidy, Revolution - 2 YES, 0 NO

Chris Jericho/Sammy Guevara vs Darby Allin, Dynamite 4/3

Darby Allin vs Sammy Guevara, Dynamite 22/4

Nyla Rose vs Hikaru Shida, Double Or Nothing
    Jon Moxley vs Brodie Lee , Double Or Nothing
    The Inner Circle vs The Elite/Matt Hardy, Double Or Nothing

FTR/The Young Bucks vs The Lucha Bros/The Butcher & The Blade, Fyter Fest Night 2 - 0 YES, 1 NO
    Cody vs Eddie Kingston, Dynamite 22/7

Jon Moxley vs Darby Allin, Dynamite 5/8 - 2 YES, 0 NO
    Last edited by King Steventon; Today at 07:19 AM.

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Re: AEW Match YES/NO Thread

Nomination - Cody Vs Darby Allin 1/1/20 - This has been my favourite match of AEW's first few weeks of the year, think they really played well off their draw from Fyter Fest with some good call backs and the finish was maybe the smartest use of a manager I've seen for a while.

WAKE UP

Status

Cody vs Darby - YES. My comments from the Show thread: Darby's focus on Cody's shoulder was great stuff and believably made him the aggressor. The tope to the shoulder and double armbar were sweet. Dug the throwback to the first match with the apron coffin drop paying off this time. Wasn't sure about AA's role as coach but it kinda worked. Hell of a way to start off the year though, and I look forward to the inevitable 3rd match.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

YES on Cody/Allin - Fantastic performance from both workers with them being a much better mix to me here than their first go around. Probably my favorite match of AEW's year as well and a strong nomination from the Ed-man.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Cody/Darby - YES. Solid continuation of this rivalry and giving Darby some credibility to look competitive against a main eventer. Lacked the awkwardness of the bodybag spot from their first round.

Nomination: Nick Jackson vs Fenix. Avoiding the obvious main events and favourites like Moxley and Darby. This is a total exhibition with a touch of heat stemming from the Bucks/Lucha Bros feud, simply a spotfest battle between two extremely athletic showoffs in the best way. The crowd were hot for absolutely everything in this. Surely my longstanding hatred for the Bucks and the fact I'm endorsing this is enough to persuade that it's worth seeing?

Edit: my mistake, I saw the other threads were 2020 but AEW being new, my brain took me to when the company started.
    Last edited by Marketh; 01-25-2020 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Nomination: Cody vs Wardlow - Steel Cage Match

There’s probably some better matches that have taken place this year, but I doubt they’ll leave as much of an impact as this one. You have the big moment of Cody’s Moonsault of course, but also a really solid job from Wardlow that wasn’t just a total carryjob.

You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

That’ll be a naw then.

WAKE UP

Status

I thought it was good but am trying to have a 'bar' of what I vote on. It was just under that for me, though not by much.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

ok, YES - It's a good match, and a very good modern cage match because of the tweaks they did that WWE won't do to cage matches. Wardlow did better than I expected him too, I liked the touches of the Arn spot and MJF being a dick outside the ring. Only thing I hated was Brandi doing two chair shots and MJF just no sold them. Cody's moonsault is this company's big, replayable, holy shit moment to put on video packages for the next year. Only reason I didn't initially give it a yes when I saw your post at the weekend was I wasn't even sure if this was my favourite match from Dynamite last week, I thought they had a lot of really good TV matches last week around the same quality but nothing was standout great. Like Steve, I don't want to be saying yes to every good match AEW has because then across the board I'll be saying yes to 500 matches. When I think about all the elements in the match though, it would of been really hard to execute this better given it's a Wardlow match, so I'll give it a yes to get another match up on the board.

(Cody/Darby was better though)

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    I thought it was good but am trying to have a 'bar' of what I vote on. It was just under that for me, though not by much.
    That’s fair, part of my reasoning was that at least by AEW standards it was a bit of an “event” match and I think it won’t be forgotten quickly, even if it’s not truly a MOTYC.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Here we go with some nominations to fill the thread out:

Kenny Vs PAC, Dynamite - Up until last night I felt like this was the clear best match from AEW of 2020. Well paced match, 30 minutes a breeze, followed the standard ironman formula but didn't feel boring at all. Omega with great selling in the 30 minutes to sell the exhaustion of the match.

Sammy Vs Darby, Revolution - Bat shit crazy match from two guys who look to be stars of the near future in AEW. It's hard to make a table spot stand out in 2020, but Sammy managed it with his 630 senton. This should of opened up the show

Hangman and Omega Vs Bucks
    , Revolution - I think it might be my MOTY and I think it might well be the best match of Young Bucks career. We've all seen the Matt sells his back match before from these two, but it takes on a new meaning when Hangman is deliberately going for it after spitting on him, that's how bad the issues between them are getting that he's not playing, he's putting the titles above the Elite and he'll put Matt out of action if he has to to remain champion. Bucks are also better as heels and they were clearly the heels in the storyline so I loved the heat they were getting, especially Matt. And then Kenny was so good in the match from his storytelling to his selling of the shoulder and how he couldn't land the one winged angel because of the damage done in the Ironman match. Comparing this to Gargano level melodrama is an insult, I thought they walked the line perfectly on facial expressions and telling the story of frayed friendships and the competition and glory comes first before being friends. I did feel they went a little too far and could of shaved 4-5 minutes off, but I actually think this is better in retrospect when the other two big matches on the night fell a little flat and were angle heavy more than big moves heavy. On a Takeover, you'd get every match on the show be this crazy 5-10 minute closing stretch and the whole show becomes exhausting, but in AEW they save it for just the one match to make the biggest impact. It was Bucks Vs Kenny and Hangman, it was always going to be that crazy at the end. And then at the end, you know you're telling a great story when you're excited over a non-turn rather than just going the shock route of doing a turn even though it's the wrong call. I loved this.

PAC Vs Orange Cassidy - A big two fingers up at those that judged Cassidy based on gifs and had never seen him wrestle a serious match where he fires up. He had the crowd in the palms of his hands, those that say he can't wrestle or he's exposing the business are just out to lunch and need to get with the program. This man is a star. PAC too was a perfect opponent, a true bastard.

Whelp, Omega might be my WOTY rn.

WAKE UP

Status

Darby vs Sammy - YES. It was a tad spotty but boy did they cram a lot of good shit into not a lot of time. Both guys are lunatics.

Omega/Page vs Bucks - YES. I think I'll be a low voter on this but they had a good mix of story-telling and action and despite the length I don't think it actually went that overboard. This is clearly part of a larger story arc because it really could have done with one or two big moments, never felt like it hit a crescendo or the tension they build up in the match actually boiled over. The brought the heat but then dialed it back down, which was fitting with the story, but is less exciting to watch than if they'd started tearing into each other. Omega's fired up kickout of the double knees was a great moment and nearfall.

PAC vs OC - YES. This may have been my favorite match of the show. Comedy wrestler gets serious is my favourite story in wrestling that we don't get enough of and this delivered. I am sure there has been a lot of dumb shit on the indies from him, but anyone who watches this and thought OC was killing the business is out of their mind. His selling of the avalanche brainbuster (which he ATE) was top notch. OC's fired up comeback run was so good, loved the big dive and all the DDT-based spots. He got enough in on PAC and a couple credible nearfalls to look legit, which then in turn makes PAC look even better for winning comfortably. The shoe-horned Lucha Bros finish stank, but otherwise massive thumb up.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Only going to YES Darby Allin vs Sammy Guevara. The match was just nuts from even before the bell. The opening dive to the 630 through the table. Loved every second of it.

The Bucks just didn't hook me with that big running stretch of kick outs and that's just nawing at me a bit. The rest of the match was a so good with the Bucks looking the best they have in ages. So it'll be a NO for me.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

YES to all four of those, Ed.

I said it to you last night, but Omega vs PAC is my MOTY so far, so it's a very enthusiastic yes at that. Tremendous pacing, psychology and felt like a proper war between two elite wrestlers.

Allin vs Sammy - great, crazy match. Both these guys are going to be huge for AEW.

I'm not as high on the tag match as you, as I think there's a few matches just from the past week I prefer, but it's still well worth a nom and everyone should go out of their way to see it.

OC vs PAC is one of my favourite matches this year. Both men are fantastic at what they do, and I'm excited to see where both men are going to next.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

WAKE UP

Status

Omega vs PAC - YES. I didn't like the finish much, Omega going from surviving the Brutalizer for way too long, to then running through PAC in the over-time felt pretty jank. But that aside I thought this was good and much better than their previous 2 matches. The previous matches felt devoid of story and were all workrate, this match was focused on stiffness and brutality. They didn't do a lot of big spots, but the ones they did were sick and everything in between was hard-hitting. All the chops and elbows were stiff, some of those V-Triggers were brutal, and that kick that PAC flying into the corner was great. Minus the silly googly eyes towards the end, I thought Omega's selling was pretty great and really put over how much the big spots and the Rude/Steamboat DQ story had taken out of him.

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

Allin/Guevara: YES - Adrenaline pumping. Nutty spots. Good length. Really can't say anything negative about it.

Page and Omega/Young Bucks: YES - Definitely a MOTYC early in the year. Everyone brought it big time in this one and the story was super well executed. A star making performance for Hangman no doubt about it.

Pac/OC: YES - The second best match of the night imo. Pac has truly been delivering at every turn and OC showed all the doubters that he's no one trick pony. The fans were glued to the action. Great match.

---‐-------------

Now I'm going to nominate Darby Allin vs. Chris Jericho and Sammy Guevara from the 3/4/20 episode of Dynamite. One of the best one on two handicap matches I've seen in years (not that great handicap matches are particularly abundant). Sharing a ring with one of the GOATs in Chris Jericho and Allin still came across as the biggest star in the match by a mile and the way he took on the entire Inner Circle by himself wasn't even outlandish given his tenacious never say die gimmick. You could feel that he had the crowd in the palm of his hands, it was such a commanding performance. The tag in to himself was epic. Loved this match.

And on a side note, man what a year for the wrestlers in AEW. It would be hard for me to pick right now between Cody, Omega, Hangman and Darby for who is the hottest guy going. Then you've got Jericho who is a master on the microphone, and Mox who is seemingly the best he's ever been and likely going to get better with this title reign and you've got some really great stuff going.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

WAKE UP

Status

Nominate

Darby Allin vs Sammy Guevara, Dynamite 22/4

Not sure how much support this will get considering the dead crowd, but I thought they packed a lot of great shit into not a lot of time similar to their first match. Opening revenge tope from Sammy was spectacular and the ladder dive was a brutal spot to set up the rest of the match. Darby is the master at working from beneath and him ripping off Sammy's boot and going after the leg felt like a pitbull wildly latching on to anything it could with it's back against the wall. All the legwork stuff was really well done and I thought Sammy's selling was good. The springboard on one foot was a little erroneous but equally a spectacular spot. Loved the finish playing off the legwork too. These two have a truly epic match in them at some point, and this was a really fun second run of them against each other.

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

Nominations from Double or Nothing...

Nyla Rose vs. Hikaru Shida - I've covered this a couple of times now but basically, I just think this was a fun brawl. One of the more intense womens hardcore matches that we've got from a major American company that I can think of. The fire from Shida was really a driving factor in this thing. I think she came across looking very well, just as you would hope from your new champion.

Jon Moxley vs. Brodie Lee - This one was kinda similar to Rose vs. Shida honestly. I think the level of stiffness was great. The pace they worked was great. Both guys put their bodies on the line and held nothing back with their bumping. There were several points in the match when Brodie Lee would do small things like laying there with his eyes bulging after he got put backdropped off the stage, or when he intentionally stepped on Mox's face on the card cutout, that I felt he was doing a great job implementing his character into the fight. The Paradigm Shift through the stage was a great way to bring the match up a notch. Also I think they made the right choice having Lee kick out of multiple Paradigm Shifts because you can't say it's a crutch that Mox and AEW use, since virtually no one kicks out of it, therefore it makes Lee look that much tougher for being the first to do it. Also Moxley just saying fuck this and choking Lee out was a great way to make Mox come across like a real badass.

The Elite vs. The Inner Circle - Stadium Stampede - Matches of this nature are always a bit tougher to rate because this was like nothing else we've seen. It was pretty much just a long comedy skit, in a way. But, they really nailed so many of the comedic bits. Hangman coming in on a horse, Sammy just getting killed by everyone and everything, Ortiz being afraid of 4 feet of water because he can't swim, the various forms of Matt Hardy coming out in the pool, Jericho throwing the challenge flag on Aubrey, the 100 yards of Northern Light Suplexes. It was all fun and couldn't come at a better time.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

WAKE UP

Status

Nominate

FTR/The Young Bucks vs The Lucha Bros/The Butcher & The Blade, Fyter Fest Night 2

I thought this was the best match from the FF double header and a total blast. This was a fast and furious go-go-go match done well. Fast pace, no lulls or dead patches, cool tag team moves, some nutty spots without every getting silly - even the crazy flip piledriver into the dogpile came across really natural and was a bonkers spot - and they didn't go overboard with nearfalls at the back end. I also really liked how both teams were really aggressive and kept battling and going for each other on the apron, made it feel like there was beef and a heated match when it could have otherwise been a bit vanilla. The Bucks/FTR storyline stuff was well done with some cool sequences without ever over-shadowing their opponents.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Nominate

FTR/The Young Bucks vs The Lucha Bros/The Butcher & The Blade, Fyter Fest Night 2

I thought this was the best match from the FF double header and a total blast. This was a fast and furious go-go-go match done well. Fast pace, no lulls or dead patches, cool tag team moves, some nutty spots without every getting silly - even the crazy flip piledriver into the dogpile came across really natural and was a bonkers spot - and they didn't go overboard with nearfalls at the back end. I also really liked how both teams were really aggressive and kept battling and going for each other on the apron, made it feel like there was beef and a heated match when it could have otherwise been a bit vanilla. The Bucks/FTR storyline stuff was well done with some cool sequences without ever over-shadowing their opponents.
    This is gonna be a NO for me and I'm quite surprised you liked it to that extent. I get The Revival throwing in those cute double team moves with other partners spots in the Takeover match with DIY and AOP when there was the context of a fantastic feud with DIY and an understanding of each others movesets, but to see that idea used in this match seemed really cheap and lacking meaning to me. I don't think it really fits FTR's character to be happy to team up with the Bucks and sharing double team moves like they've already had their feud together - a big part of their tension is that they don't care much for each other's styles and there they are sharing spots together. I don't think the match really fitted the story at all and once that story falls down, you're just left with a Reseda style multi tag match. Also, they were the team that teamed up the best out of the respective 4 man teams, and they were the ones to lose, didn't get it.

I enjoyed Cassidy/Jericho more than you though, but still a shade under being great and being as good as the PAC/OC match for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information