Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIGHT NIGHT PROMO DISCUSSION THREAD 01/18/2020

Striving for a B+ in life

Status
      Country                    United States

FIGHT NIGHT PROMO DISCUSSION THREAD 01/18/2020

Discuss promos for the 01/18/2020 Fight Night card here. If you need a 24-hour extension, you can request one in this thread.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

creatively drained artist

Status
      Country                    Turkey

Re: FIGHT NIGHT PROMO DISCUSSION THREAD 01/18/2020

Dealing with internet problems at home so I have to request an extension.
    Du bindest einen Blumenkranz...
    ...wieso siehst du so traurig aus?

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Asking for an extension for Krash and I as well. Im off Sunday so I can work on it then.

Status

Can I have an ext please?

Status

Yes, and everyone in that match gets one.

2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Can I get an extension please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

The Maniacal Martyr

Status

And I need an extension please?

The Artist of Chaos

Status

Extension please?

Hail To The King

Status

Ext . . . plz

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    ​Brayden Bridges

Status

Announcement:

Everyone on the card gets a 24-hour extension. Merry Thanksgiving.

2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Sayer View Post
    Asking for an extension for Krash and I as well. Im off Sunday so I can work on it then.
    Was about to pop in and ask for one for us too. I've been out of town evacuating for the past three days and didn't have enough time to check in to FWA and see if I had a match.

so, uh, yeah thanks Sayer, love you.

Spoiler:

I'm not good at signatures.

Status

Just so everyone knows, everyone has an extension.

Your new deadline is Sunday, January 19th, at midnight Pacific time, which is Monday, January 20th at 3 a.m. Eastern time and 8 a.m. British time.

2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Squash Fodder

Status

Hi everyone, I'm dealing with some pretty horrible stuff power Christmas. I'll do what I can but there is a reason behind my non performance. I just need time for you to bear with me cause I don't know how many promos I'll get

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Internet is down right now and not expected back up til tomorrow so I likely will not get a promo in.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Nova Diamond: First things first, thanks for making me feel old. This promo made me realise just how long I've been writing the Gabrielle character now. Long enough that there's now kayfabe grown men in the FWA who had her in their wank banks as teenagers. Its been a quick 14-15 years. And with that the element of Gabrielle being a teenage crush for Nova is something new, something I haven't seen/read before.

I think its safe to say you and Krash probably consistently write complete 'people' better than anyone else. There's always more than just a wrestling character focusing on his wrestling career with your promos. There's always more backstory, and more fleshing out of who Nova Diamond is than most people write. In particular I really dug how the name 'Nova Diamond' has become an escape for Andrew Saturday from his past. Its a way for him to move on from his past and be someone else, and we got a good look into what that past is with the bickering between him and Ellie and a little rundown of his family history. I dont know if it was intentional, but I liked how the aforementioned teenage crush on Gabrielle sort of served as this 'healing point' for lack of a better term. Ellie and Nova argued, then found some common ground before the teenage crush on Gabrielle served as this moment to make them laugh together after they had got through to each other finally.

From there I really enjoyed how we both touched on how important this match is, with Gabrielle having beaten Sullivan, and this being a rematch of the CC ending that could define how Nova walks into BIB. I have to single out a particular line " I have buried Gabrielle the same place I buried Andrew Saturday." I really dug the 'power' of that line, particularly coming off the back of delving into why he's buried his past, even his name. Putting Gabrielle and his teenage crush on her in that same spot was just a really strong statement to end with.

I really dont have any complaints or issues with this promo at all. It was an engaging read that developed the character in the FWA universe, and addressed so many important points.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Jazz Wolf View Post
    Was about to pop in and ask for one for us too. I've been out of town evacuating for the past three days and didn't have enough time to check in to FWA and see if I had a match.

so, uh, yeah thanks Sayer, love you.
    Yeah...that's a valid excuse...

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

Enjoyed the first Moore promo. Read a bit like it was Patrick Bateman for large stretches, which I'm a big fan of. Looking forward to reading more and hopefully seeing the character rounded out a little bit. Will be interesting to see how you separate him from other cocky heel types going forward. With the Valenders promo it's clear you took the feedback on board and discussed the opponents a little more, which is a good thing. Maybe it would be good to have a bit of scene-setting rather than just dialogue - would be interesting to learn more about the background of these characters or what's going on in their lives outside of the ring. Really enjoyed the Gabrielle promo. Loved the imagery of the photo album, hints at the relationship with her daughter and Chris Kennedy, and the final lines about Gaby's experience really sold me on the match. Obviously I've missed out on years of this story but there was still loads here for me to enjoy.

Hoping to read some more of the promos tomorrow - looking forward to the show!

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Michelle Von Horrowitz: This was a really good introduction to the MVH character. I know of MVH, but apart from that Wrestle Royale match I'm not really familiar with the character at all. So this served as a great 'get to know who she is' piece. Personally, I feel the easiest summation of who Michelle is; is that she's the opposite of Gabrielle. Not really concerned with image, with the appearance that success and its like presents. That makes any potential Michelle v Gabrielle showdown really appealing, with that clash of defined characters. Your descriptions, laying out the World around Michelle, and her feelings about it all were the real star of this promo. And I feel like that's rare, that the setting, and the descriptions of it upstage the actual 'promo' the speech side of things. And its not because what MVH had to say was poor or anything like that, its simply the strength of your writing of her actions and feelings.

I'm not sure if I'm 100% right when I say all of this. But that paragraph about Nova Diamond, and Michelle being drawn to an ending really stuck out. Maybe I'm looking at it too deeply but there's this correlation between the newcomers winning a Royal Rumble match, and in MVH's case when she did it, it not long preceded the demise of the CWA. So her talking about the old crop in FWA dying out and Michelle turning up now following a new comer winning our Royal Rumble, that really stood out. That really defined the character to me, and the strengths and determination to her. She's drawn to demise, and after reading everything that proceeded that paragraph, that sort of sums up at least part of the character.

Two general notes I have to point out as well; I'm really enjoying how many people are expanding their promos beyond just their match. We had so many promos even just this week where people talked about more than just their own match and addressed so many other matters in the FWA. And on top of that, there's this theme that pops up alot of no one caring about tag team wrestling right now and the tag teams themselves being very slighted. I think its fantastic that its a narrative that is rearing its head across many promos, like its not just the random musings of one person in one promo. Its an idea that many people in the FWA are backing, and while it could be seen as a comment on the tag division being poor. It brings it more attention even just slightly and if its continued it can be something that the tag teams draw from, feeling slighted and ignored, like all anyone cares about is the Main Event, so they fight harder to get their name out there.

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

MVH: A character I really enjoyed in CWA. Excellent FWA debut promo. Her confidence and arrogance is what really drives her and if this is the first promo I can't wait to see the rest. Calling out pretty much everybody was great. I love how she didn't really care about titles or the people carrying them.

Gabrielle: I love the throwbacks to Gabrielle's past, great scene-setting. I really like how Gabrielle acts like Nova is just another cocky prick in a long line of them, it really shows that she's hiding her true feelings which could show up during the match. Great promo.

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

Enjoyed the Truth promo a lot. Your summation of Golden's legacy vs Truth's was excellent. Was interesting that Truth at first presented morality as an absolute, and then used a bit of moral relativism to declare Golden isn't as bad as Gaby or Sullivan and therefore worthy of respect. Not sure if that was deliberate but I like the idea of hinting at just the merest touch of contradiction deep down in Cyrus' very black-and-white view of good and bad. I also loved how, at the start, he was thrilled to be away from Gabrielle, only for his train of thought to always keep turning back towards her, as if another meeting is inevitable despite his misgivings.

Also, the Cyrus/Krash/Golden v Sullivan/Kennedy/Garcia feud sounds like it would have been incredible. Sorry to have missed that (and so much more, I'm sure!).

Status

One of my favorite themes I've read in a while was from Gabrielle's promo. The picture book/ scrapbook idea is a cherished one of mine, something Jabber did with Ashley O' Ryan way back and something I did with Golden in his last match before retiring. I thought that path was perfect. I just wish more Cyrus-center stuff sprinkled in, but this promo was outstanding.

Nova Diamond's interaction with his sister was likewise just outstanding. Seeing the depth of the character, the Andrew Saturday references, and the callbacks to negative energy and depression was very well done. I struggled to find the thread connecting that to this match and the theme of "removing all doubts from the doubters" but that's picking nits. In the end, this was well written and a very good promo.

No matter who wins, both of these promos were outstanding.

Michelle Von Horowitz had an excellent promo as well. My favorite was the ending, focusing on the hardcore/X rules aspect of the other three matches. I think aligning MvH as a hardcore fiend is a very smart and crafty route to take her. The backbone of this division is hardcore or aerial wrestling style, so fitting there is awesome. Of course, everything else about the promo was positive, too. The locker room with the photos has been done but never for just the general stars, usually for big battle royal-type matches. Seeing MvH focusing so much on the other members of the roster is different, albeit risky. Not focusing just on the opponent is a risk if the opponent shows up. In this case, it's smart and cunning. MvH seems like she's on a warpath.

I really enjoyed the Jason Randall promo. Seeing Ghost come back was a mood, for sure. There's some good character progression here.

Donovan Moore promo was interesting. That's a different level of arrogance, and it's a creative way of delivering it. The narrator stuff specifically was unique. Don't lose that energy.

The Valanders promo needs coding. Just some color for the speaking parts and one more line between the speaking and descriptions. Also some more descriptive text to set the scene or mood. Try it out, just experiment there.

Also, give me more about who these brothers are and their relationship. Not just "hey, we are brothers, so we have a bond." Describe the bond. Give an anecdote.

I want to know more about who The Wave are, not just get carbon-copy stuff about them. Same for The Valanders. Give me an anecdote that shows who they are. A no-show win is a win, but experiment with storytelling stuff to take your promo'ing to the next level.

I enjoyed the promo from The Elite, but at the same time I didn't really enjoy it. It was somewhat vague and mysterious. I imagine we will get answers in the actual show results for Fight Night, but the promo was mostly centered around one team member's reservedness and then a monologue about the tag team division being in the backseat of the car. I felt like there was an energy here that didn't quite go all the way, almost like the reservedness of one character was also a reservedness of the writer to give away too much.

Then again, it was a no-show win so holding some cards in may serve you better in the long run.

I also definitely think color coding would improve the aesthetic of this promo.

2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information