Country                    England

NJPW NJPW New Beginning Tour 2020

New Beginning in Sapporo Night One 01/02/2020

NEVER Openweight Championship Match: Hirooki Goto vs Shingo Takagi
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. EVIL
    Kazuchika Okada & Jon Moxley vs. Taichi & Minoru Suzuki
    Tetsuya Naito & SANADA vs. KENTA & Jay White
    Hiromu Takahashi & BUSHI vs. Ryu Lee & Robbie Eagles
    Will Ospreay, SHO, YOH & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Zack Sabre Jr., El Desperado, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & DOUKI
    Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma & Toa Henare vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Manabu Nakanishi & Yota Tsuji
    Tiger Mask IV & Yuya Uemura vs. Taiji Ishimori & El Phantasmo

New Beginning in Sapporo Night Two 02/02/2020

Kazuchika Okada vs. Taichi
    RevPro British Heavyweight Championship Match: Zack Sabre Jr. vs Will Ospreay
    Tetsuya Naito, SANADA & Hiromu Takahashi vs. KENTA, Jay White & Taiji Ishimori
    Jon Moxley, SHO, YOH & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Minoru Suzuki, El Desperado, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & DOUKI
    Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii & Robbie Eagles vs. Shingo Takagi, EVIL & BUSHI
    El Phantasmo vs. Gabriel Kidd
    Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma & Yuya Uemura vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Manabu Nakanishi & Tiger Mask IV
    Toa Henare vs. Yota Tsuji

New Beginning in Osaka 09/02/2020

IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Championship Match: Tetsuya Naito vs KENTA
    IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship Match: Jon Moxley vs Minoru Suzuki
    IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship Match: Hiromu Takahashi vs Ryu Lee
    SANADA vs. Jay White
    Kazuchika Okada & Will Ospreay vs. Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr.
    Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kota Ibushi, Juice Robinson & David Finlay vs. Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens
    IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Match: SHO & YOH vs El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru
    Manabu Nakanishi, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Yuji Nagata vs. Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma, Toa Henare & Ryusuke Taguchi

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Re: NJPW New Beginning Tour 2020

The main event was super fun. Exactly what you'd expect from these two, smashing contest with a hot finish. Taichi vs Okada was heated up big time with the post match angle. The Plum Stretch looked awesome. I might be nuts but I'd have Taichi win with it tomorrow, honestly. The Okada/Moxley tag match itself was good though. Well worth going out of your way to see. I didn't care for Ishii vs EVIL too much but I imagine some Ishii-maniacs will go nuts for it.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

There's no way I'm watching Okada wrestle Taichi for 30 minutes

Gonna check out the other big matches from this weekend though, couple of them sound like they were great.

WAKE UP

Status

Why on Earth is Okada going 30 with Taichi, who is a JTTS and a mediocre one at that? It doesn't do him any favours.

I watched the other 3 big singles so far and thought they were all pretty disappointing. EVIL is still no good, and Zack vs Ospreay was probably the weakest of the matches I've seen despite being the longest. Shingo as NEVER champ atleast is fresh and could have some interesting match-ups, though Goto now goes back to floating.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

They are trying to make Taichi something different, I guess. And it's his home town. I do think the time was excessive though. Still I thought it was the best Taichi has looked in a non comedic way ala his match with Taka Michinoku.

Ospreay vs ZSJ was very good I thought. Ospreay's big barrage of offence wasn't exactly a hit with me but the ZSJ flash counters into submissions certainly was.

Goto will be Goto. I just wish he and someone from CHAOS would become a team on regular basis, just to give him something else to do past a 3 month push for the NEVER Openweight Title again.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

I liked Ospreay/Sabre Jr, a little long in the tooth but some really good work between them.

Goto/Shingo was totally overrated. Way too much your move my move, I'm going to stand here and make no attempt to dodge the oncoming forearm. Just felt like a match they ran out of ideas with quickly.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Shingo/Goto was by far the best of the bunch on this tour and even then the title getting booked this way yet again is comical. I would probably take these two doing their thing over anything on WK tbh. I thought Ospreay/ZSJ was above my expectations, Will actually held up his end of the bargain pretty well with doing ground stuff. My expectations weren't high but at least I enjoyed it. Will give them some credit.

Ishii/EVIL was disappointing and I think I'm on board with EVIL not being that good after all, though it's hard to blame him for not giving his best effort considering they also book him even worse than Goto and the 5th best person in his own stable. Ishii really tried hard, even broke out a spin kick and dragged EVIL to a *** effort but it's wholly skippable.

Taichi/Okada wasn't worse than that Phantasmo match on the same show which was awful so I can't say it was the worst match of the year, but it was still well below average, and 3 times as long at that. Outside of Jay White, Taichi is the worst person to do the Okada "counter dance" style in NJPW, just totally not playing to his strengths, and of course Okada does the same match he always does with this 2/10 level talent. Bad stuff.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

It looks Osaka Jo-Hall sold out its allocated tickets. A good house for KENTA vs Naito (with a El Phantasmo helping of course :P.)
    Last edited by MC 16; 02-07-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Very excited for Moxley/Suzuki and Lee/Hiromu tomorrow. I think the Moxley/Suzuki interactions have been great all tour. I do wonder how ballsy they will go with Lee/Hiromu, will he take a phoenixplex or whatever the fuck it's called that broke his neck last time they met.

Will die with laughter if KENTA wins tomorrow and Naito's reign with the title is 1 month Good for KENTA having this career resurgence, by all accounts they've drawn well for this show.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

New Japan returning to MSG was on the cards for a while now with the G1 in the Autumn. Still big news.

New Japan have also announced their new TV time slot for BS Asahi will be 8pm in Japan which apparently is prime time TV, or close to it. Big news
    Last edited by MC 16; 02-09-2020 at 04:32 AM.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

That tv deal is really big news. Even in the 90s they were stuck in the graveyard slot.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

The first 10 minutes of this match have been complete garbage. Get the fuck on with it.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Naito vs KENTA was pretty much exactly what you thought it was going to be. It had its moments. The blood was cool at least

Ryu Lee vs Hiromu Takahashi was fantastic tho. Hiromu probably needs t fix his closing stretches because that two matches that ended rather flattish compared to the rest of it.

I'm kinda excited for Naito vs Hiromu at the Anniversary show.

WAKE UP

Status

Naito vs KENTA was pretty decent most of the way, but suffered from the 2 worst tropes for these title matches - going too long, and the BC/interference stuff. Just cut that out and reduce it to 25 minutes instead of 35 and this could have been really, really good. I hope they keep KENTA around the main event scene though.

Moxley vs Suzuki was great fun, and I am stoked for Moxley vs Zack

Admin in Lockdown

Status

KENTA/Naito was a pretty average match that would of been below average had Naito not taken a gnarly cut that caused everyone to bump their ratings up. Was not a fan of it, but then against it's Naito against BC.

Hiromu/Lee was really fucking great I thought. The chest chops went on for a bit too long, but then I did like how they would do something else for 10 minutes and then return to them, and if nothing else it gives this particular match in the rivalry something to remember it by. From there they went on to have the crazy, wild match they always have, interesting to see Hiromu's semi-safe style from WK went out the window because apron bumps and sunset flip powerbombs were back. I'm gonna lock it in now, I think Lee is winning BOSJ to face Hiromu at Dominion again.

I don't know how to rate Suzuki/Moxley. Ultimately it was the match I should of known we'd get, but I'm still disappointed we couldn't get a serious match between them. What was great about the early Moxley NJPW run was that he was stepping up to other people's standards and while there might of been a weapon spot or too, it didn't define the match, it was still a NJPW match but with a Moxley edge too them. Now it seems as though his matches always operate under Moxley rules where it's always No DQ even if it's not announced to be, and there has to be a table spot, and the facials are getting too comedic and it feels totally out of place on the card. I know Suzuki has that side to his wrestling where he's playing for laughs and isn't always wrestling 100% with his gameface on, but that's not what I wanted here, I wanted the big match Suzuki. I feel like we got the Suzuki taking on Yano performance Vs Dean Ambrose. I kinda hated the ending where they were pulling stupid faces at each other after their strikes. Honestly, it felt like a pantomime.

Not even entertaining the idea of watching Sanada Vs Jay White.

Thread Information