Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Wars: Rebooking The Prequels

Jam Up Guy

Status

Re: Star Wars: Rebooking The Prequels

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Been enjoying this so far. Mace Windu sounds just like Samuel Jackson to the point you can almost hear his voice saying it.
    Thanks dude. One of the biggest crimes of having such dull characters in the Prequels was the waste of a really fun cast. To me, a "badass space sheriff" sounds like a much better use of Samuel L Jackson than "calm and quiet monk"!

Pretty good

Status
      Country                    Ireland

That third chapter was excellent. As I mentioned in a PM, I've been binge watching these movies as of late (have them on in the background really, so still missing plenty) so to see the difference in SLJ and Liam Neesons characters is already a major improvement, making them much more interesting. As you touched on above, it's a much better way to use both of them, and I can totally envisage both guys acting out these roles. I don't have much else to mention at the moment, as obviously, you're still setting the table, but just wanted to add some praise for that tease at the end of the first chapter for the double sided lightsaber. Awesome.

Ugh, that wee cu*t Anakin!!

Say hello to the bad guy!

Status
      Country                    Canada

Another fantastic entry. Really liking your version of Qui Gon. Like I said in my previous review, he is very Han Solo-isn so I hope some things in his personality will come through to differentiate that a bit. Don't want him to be an exact copy. The whole bar standoff scene was absolutely perfectly written, capturing little pieces of everyone involved. The only thing I'd say would have put it over the top if you sprinkled a little bit of the other patrons/bartender in, like for reaction.

Excited to read the next, very much hooked!!

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

I don't think they are too similar tbh. Han Solo was more laid back and too cool for school. Qui Gon seems lazy, complacent and maybe even something like an alcoholic.
    We Don't Confrom, Kiss Ass Or Get Married
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

Status

I don't think they are too similar tbh. Han Solo was more laid back and too cool for school. Qui Gon seems lazy, complacent and maybe even something like an alcoholic.
    That is a fair assessment sir! Just the vibe I have been getting so far. Could also partially be the fact that we had a similar scene with Han and Greedo haha. But I have absolute faith Keef will distinguish Qui Gon as his own. His writing so far is absolutely excellent.

Status

That is a fair assessment sir! Just the vibe I have been getting so far. Could also partially be the fact that we had a similar scene with Han and Greedo haha. But I have absolute faith Keef will distinguish Qui Gon as his own. His writing so far is absolutely excellent.

Jam Up Guy

Status

Thanks guys, and interesting to see how people are being interpreted so far. I won't give too much away, but I'd suggest that MC's interpretation is a little closer to my intention, but I don't think any interpretation of it is wrong.

With that said, I'm pleased to see someone is picking up Han vibes as his influence will be sprinkled throughout this. To me he's what makes Star Wars what it is. Without that cool, edgy character, it's all a bit sterile, which is one of the (many) problems I have the Prequels and even to a degree the Sequels. Even without a straight up Han character (although from his introduction here there's perhaps an element of him in Mace Windu), I'm trying to introduce a bit of a rougher edge to the characters and the universe. While a lot of Jedi versus Sith stuff is black and white, I still think there's room for a little grey morality. It's why Kylo Ren is probably the most interesting character in the Sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Beast View Post
    Ugh, that wee cu*t Anakin!!
    Yup. Needless to say Anakin isn't a child in this. What a baffling decision that was...

I regret nothing

Status
      Country                    UK

So Chapter 3. I really like the contrast between Obi Wan and Qui Gon. I did actually quite like their dynamic in The Phantom Menace, but ramping Obi Wan’s personality and changing Qui Gon to make them almost complete opposites is much more interesting to me. Also, I found much amusement in Padme being so quick to want a drink. I do think that, despite his apparent apathy, Qui Gon is actually testing Obi Wan and allowing him to grow into the Knight role. Perhaps Obi Wan might realise that he actually needs to loosen the strings a bit in order to make it, because we’ve seen from his dialogue already that he isn’t totally clean cut due to his frustration with his position.

I also really like this Mace Windu. SLJ was wasted in those films, Jesus. I did too get some Han Solo vibes from him too here, and I agree with your comments above that the prequels desperately missed an edgier character who could be seen to fall on either side of the line.

No Jake Lloyd? boo. Does this mean no podracing? Just kidding, older Anakin will be able to offer much more to the story at an earlier stage than a child. Interested to see where we go next and what these guys make of the damage at the farm.

Great stuff here, Keef.

Vote for WC’s Favourite Video Game of the 2010’s!
    CLICK HERE FOR THE COUNTDOWN!

Jam Up Guy

Status

Previously on Star Wars Episode I: The Clone Wars Begin

• After a period of peace and prosperity, galactic recession has led to infighting and tensions
    • Chancellor Valorum, once a hero of the galaxy, is under significant pressure to improve the living conditions of the Republic
    • There has been a spate of ranches outside Mos Eisley that have been targeted by an unknown source. The latest ranch, run by Lukas and Eera Al-Raad, was targeted last night by a mysterious figure in the darkness, carrying a double-bladed red lightsaber
    • On Yoda’s orders, Obi Wan Kenobi has been sent on a mission to understand the nature of these crimes, given it ties in with a disturbance in the Force
    • Kenobi, an impatient do-gooder, has been sent on the mission with the arrogant, reckless Jedi Master Qui Gon Jinn, and the excitable but inexperienced Padawan Padme Amidala
    • On arrival in Mos Eisley, Qui Gon immediately made enemies with the local gangster, Sebulba, in a ploy to get the attention of the city sheriff, Mace Windu. Together, the Jedi trio will travel with Mace and his protégé Anakain Skywalker to the Al-Raad Ranch

Episode One: The Clone Wars Begin
    Chapter Four: The Al-Raad Investigation

Al-Raad Ranch, Tatooine

Obi Wan crouches over the burned remains of Eera Al-Raad, using the butt of his blaster to move her crisp, blackened face to the side. The body is crawling out of a burned down building, but frozen in place by rigour mortis.

Standing behind him is Mace, who points at her feet.

”Based on her position and the severity of the burns increasing from her feet upwards, I’d suggest she was alive and inside the building when the fire began. Given she didn’t get far out, I imagine she was trapped inside.”

Obi Wan solemnly lowers his head at the disgusting crime, and looks up to Padme, standing by Mace. She hasn’t moved. ”Padme, are you writing this down?”

She suddenly snaps back in to life. ”Sorry, Obi Wan, what was that again?”

Obi Wan pushes up to his feet and places a soft, caring hand on her arm. ”Are you okay?”

She nods ever so slightly. ”Yeah, I’m fine. I’ve just never seen anything like this, that’s all.”

Obi Wan smiles reassuringly. Padme may have been full of bluster and adventure before they began, but it hasn’t taken much to strip it back out of her. A burned body will do that to a Padawan.

”You don’t normally have to in this job,” he says. ”It’s unfortunate timing that you’ve seen in on day one of your first mission. If you want to take a moment, I’d understand.”

“No. I’m okay, I can carry on.”

A brave girl, Obi Wan thought. But the look in her eyes betrayed what she said. He could take her at her word, but he knew she could probably use time to recompose herself.

”It’s okay. I could do with a break too. I’ll meet you by the speeder in a few minutes.”

Padme nods and heads to the speeder to regather herself, leaving Mace and Obi Wan alone.

”First time she’s seen something like this?” Mace asks.

”First time either of us have seen something like this. Most of our missions don’t involve inspecting burned bodies. But I’m guessing I can’t say the same for you?”

“’Fraid not, kid,”
    Mace says. ”Seeing too much of it, these days. Getting to feel like I’m getting too old for this mess. The deaths ain’t getting any more pleasant, I’ll tell ya that much.”

Obi Wan nods. ”And the other body? That as bad as this one?”

“I don’t think it can get any worse, but if you found this one a little hard to take, I wouldn’t recommend going over there. At least Eera here was in one piece.”

Obi Wan grimaces, and looks over to where the body of Lukas lies. Investigating the body, is the tall, handsome young man that piloted their journey to the ranch.

”What’s his deal?” Obi Wan asks, pointing at the kid.

”Him? That’s Anakin. He’s basically my transport, but I’m trying to teach him the ropes a little. He’s a hell of a pilot. If he can investigate crimes half as well as he can fly, I’ll be able to retire young. Or before I get killed, anyway.”

“Where’s he from?”

“Mos Eisley, I think. I dunno, really, he ain’t much of a talker. I found him out on his own one day during an investigation. He wasn’t much more than a kid, but he was looking after himself. Said he didn’t know where his parents had gone. I suspect they left him, or were killed. So, I brought him in for a bit, tried to look after him. Turned out he was a hell of a worker, and I’ve kept him around. He’s a good kid.”

Obi Wan nods. ”May I speak to him?”

“Up to you, kid.”

Obi Wan smiles, and heads over to ANAKIN SKYWALKER. As he walks, he catches a glimpse of the three cut up sections of Lukas’ body, and instead focuses on Anakin, who seems completely nonplussed by the severed corpse at his feet.

”Anakin, is it?” Obi Wan calls over, hand extended. ”I’m Obi Wan. Pleasure to meet you.”

Anakin smiles nervously and nods. He’s quite a physical specimen, naturally taller and stronger built than Obi Wan, but his gentle face belies his physical impressiveness. He must be around the same age as Padme, maybe slightly older, making him somewhere between eighteen and twenty-one years-old. Without saying a word, Anakin returns to looking at the body.

”See anything interesting?” Obi Wan asks.

Anakin shakes his head, and returns to the body.

”You sure? You seem quite enamoured with that body.”

“I’m not enamoured with it,”
    Anakin finally says. ”It’s just… never mind.”

“It’s okay. What is it?”

Anakin looks at Obi Wan, looking for confirmation he can trust him. ”It’s the way the body’s cut. Look at this,” he says, and points to the point where the torso is separated from the legs. ”It’s clean. Whoever did this went straight through with a single swipe. What kind of blade can do that?”

Obi Wan pulls out his lightsaber, points it away from Anakin, and ignites it. Bursting out is a humming, green blade of light.

”Something like this?” Obi Wan asks.

Anakin stares at the blade, and eventually nods. ”Yeah… yeah I’m guessing that’d do it. How’d you get that thing?”

“I’m a Jedi Knight. Well, almost, at least. We all carry them.”

Anakin nods, and goes back to inspecting the body. He says nothing, but looks like something is bothering him.

”What is it?” Obi Wan asks.

Anakin again nervously glances at Obi Wan, still distrusting to offer too much.

”It’s okay,” Obi Wan says again, switching the lightsaber off.

Anakin meekly nods. ”So… does anyone else have those blades? Because…”

He drifts off, reluctant to say any more.

”Because if not, it has to be a Jedi who did this?” Obi Wan finishes for him.

Anakin nods.

”It won’t be one of us. We’re the protectors of the peace. But I guess there’s no reason why someone else couldn’t have gotten hold of one.” A thought crosses Obi Wan’s mind. ”Or worse. Excuse me.”

Obi Wan walks away and heads towards Qui Gon Jinn, who is standing separately from the rest of the group, staring at something in the distance.

”Master Qui Gon, I-“

Qui Gon holds out a hand to silence him, not wanting Obi Wan to break his intense concentration. Obi Wan slows down and falls silent, waiting for Qui Gon to do whatever it is he needs to do. In his right hand is a rock, which he grips tightly as he seems to go in to a deep, Force-related concentration…

… when he suddenly launches the rock through the air. It soars through the sky, hurtling against the gentle desert breeze, before crashing down…

… and squashing a small reptile underneath it.

”Ha!” Qui Gon exclaims. ”Did you see that? Now that’s the kind of control of the Force someone like you can only dream of!”

Obi Wan frowns. ”Erm, Master… I don’t mean to disturb you from what is clearly a very important moment for you, but we do have work to do.”

“Don’t be naïve, son. There’s nothing for us to do here.”

“Really? Because the burned corpse and severed body over there indicate otherwise. Or do you just not care about that?”

Qui Gon turns around, only now facing Obi Wan. “No, I don’t care, and you know why? Because after a while, you get kind of tired of seeing severed bodies. You know who’s responsible? Scavengers, that’s who. And you know how I know that? Because it’s always scavengers. So if you’re done playing detective, how about we leave this crime to Mace and get out of his way, given he’s likely solved hundreds of cases like this before you were even born. Sound good? Good.”

Qui Gon starts to walk away.

”The kid thinks it was a lightsaber,” Obi Wan calls after him, causing Qui Gon to stop and spin around.

”Really? The kid who pilots the speeder thinks a Jedi did it? Then we must listen to him.”

Obi Wan scowls at Qui Gon’s sarcasm. “I didn’t say a Jedi did it. I said someone with a lightsaber did it.”

Qui Gon grunts and walks back over to Obi Wan, and pulls out his own lightsaber. ”Do you know how hard it is to get your hands on one of these? It’s nigh-on impossible. In 99% of cases, the only people in history carrying these are either Jedi, or Sith. And given there hasn’t been a Sith Lord in over a generation, you can only be suggesting it’s a Jedi who is responsible. And, given your only source on this is a kid who likely hadn’t seen a lightsaber until you showed him yours, I’m inclined to think that the organisation you and I have dedicated our lives to is not responsible for the senseless murder of innocent farmers. Especially when the far more likely answer is right in front of your eyes, and you’re taking the advice of some punk kid you’ve only just met who doesn’t know anything about anything. Now come on, I need a drink.”

Qui Gon walks off, leaving Obi Wan behind. Obi Wan sighs and pulls out a small octagon from his belt, and presses a button. Within a few moments, a tiny hologram of Yoda appears on the unit.

”Master Yoda,” Obi Wan says, bowing his head in respect.

”What have you found, my Padawan?”

“Not much. The scene is pretty brutal, but there’s no clear indication that this is definitely the source of the disturbance we felt. And yet…”

He drifts off.

”Something else to say, have you?” Yoda inquires.

Obi Wan grimaces and looks over to Qui Gon. ”I don’t know, my master. The likelihood is it’s scavengers. After all, who else would come to a farm and steal resources? That seems the obvious answer, and there’s nothing to indicate otherwise. Nothing rational, at least.”

“Search your feelings. Rational thoughts help, but only part of the answer, they are.”

Obi Wan nods. ”Okay. Rationally, there’s nothing to interest us. But something doesn’t feel right.” He takes a deep breath. ”I want to stay and continue to investigate,” he says, willing himself in to confidence.

”Then stay, you must.”

“I don’t think Master Qui Gon will be happy.”

“Making friends, your job is not. Search for the answers, you must.”

Obi Wan nods again. ”Thank you, Master Yoda. I will. I’ll keep you updated.”

Obi Wan switches off the hologram.

Swipe to:
    The Jedi Temple, Coruscant

Yoda switches off the hologram communication from Obi Wan, and spins around to face CHANCELLOR FINIS VALORUM, who is sitting opposite him. Now aging with thin white hair, Valorum carries the look of a noble, proud man, albeit one who is starting to bear evidence of weariness.

”What was that about?” he asks Yoda, who is sitting at the other side of the desk in Yoda’s office.

”An investigation, they are on. A disturbance in the force, there has been.”

Valorum rubs his fingers against his temple. ”There’s been quite a few, I imagine. Things are a mess out there. My own senate is eating me alive.”

“Bigger than politics, this is.”

Valorum laughs. ”There’s nothing bigger than politics, Master Yoda. I wish it wasn’t true, but it is. Everything you think you know about the galaxy can change in an instant if politics isn’t working as it should.” He takes a sip of the drink on the desk, and takes a deep breath. ”Okay, so this disturbance. Tell me about it. What are your people doing to explore it?”

“Heard of the farm burnings, have you?”

Valorum shakes his head.

”Farms are being targeted on Tatooine. Crops stolen. Killed, people have been.”

“Sounds like general scavenger scum. People are getting desperate out there. I’ve seen good, honest people make poor decisions to provide a meal for their family. I can’t imagine what’s happening to the untrustworthy people.”

He sighs, grunts, takes another sip from his drink, clearly agitated.

”You’ve always been there for me, haven’t you? You’ve provided council through every issue I’ve ever encountered.”

Yoda nods.

”I need your help more than ever now, Yoda. The whole Jedi Council. I haven’t seen things this bad in my lifetime. The galactic recession is hitting hard and people are acting in despicable ways. People are tapping in to the fear that’s out there and using it for their own good. Things like these scavengers you speak of are only getting worse. We haven’t seen widescale violence like this outside of warfare in I don’t even know when. I have a senate meeting tonight and I’m going to be destroyed. People forget everything I’ve done before and now see me as impotent. They’ll put pressure on me to do something. I know they will. And yet I have no idea what to do.” He scoffs, frustrated. ”I don’t even know what to say.”

Yoda sits in silence for a few moments. ”A question, I did not hear.”

Valorum laughs. ”I don’t know. I guess I was hoping you’d say it’s not as bad as it is in my head.”

“Worse, it is. Real, the disturbance in the force is. Darkness hides in every corner of the galaxy.”

Valorum returns to rubbing his temples. ”That doesn’t help.”

“Supposed to, it is not. A principled man in a time of peace… is a man of words. A principled man in a time of war… is a man of actions. Coming, a war is. But you get to decide… if it’s a war of ideologies, debated in forums… or a war of violence… held on battlefields. Stronger than a blaster, words can be.”

Valorum stares at Yoda. It’s not what he wanted to hear, but he understands the power of it nonetheless. He nods, and lowers his head thoughtfully.

* END OF CHAPTER FOUR *

Status

Back with another chapter. I have to say, you have been fairly on point so far but this was was a blip in the radar for me. That opening stuff really had a CSI vibe, that kind of took me out of the moment. I definitely get what you were going for and how its important but that was how it ended up reading, with a bit of very stilted dialogue.

Also...dont be having Mace (Samuel L.) doing the Lethal Weapon "too old for this shit" hahah.

Was an interesting introduction to Anakin. Definitely was the right move to make him older to begin with. And you didnt give away too much about him right away, slow burn is the right call too.

Im curious to see more of Yoda and his interactions and dealings with the Chancellor and the political side of things.

Your character work that far has been very good!

Jam Up Guy

Status

• After a period of peace and prosperity, galactic recession has led to infighting and tensions
    • Chancellor Valorum, once a hero of the galaxy, is under significant pressure to improve the living conditions of the Republic. During council with Jedi Grand Master Yoda, he was encouraged to stick the course, and that how he reacts now will be the true test of his character
    • There has been a spate of ranches outside Mos Eisley that have been targeted by an unknown source. The latest ranch, run by Lukas and Eera Al-Raad, was targeted last night by a mysterious figure in the darkness, carrying a double-bladed red lightsaber
    • On Yoda’s orders, Obi Wan Kenobi has been sent on a mission to understand the nature of these crimes, given it ties in with a disturbance in the Force
    • Kenobi, an impatient do-gooder, has been sent on the mission with the arrogant, reckless Jedi Master Qui Gon Jinn, and the excitable but inexperienced Padawan Padme Amidala. It took him little time to clash with both.
    • The Jedi have found allies in Mos Eisley in the form of Mace Windu, the city sheriff, and his protégé/pilot, Anakin Skywalker. They have seen the terrible attacks on the farms firsthand, and yet are no closer to understanding them

Chapter Five: The Disturbance

Mace Windu’s Office, Mos Eisley, Tatooine

”And then,” Mace says, trying to conceal his laughter, ”he said he was related to Jabba!”

Qui Gon and Mace erupt in to uproarious laughter, and Qui Gon tops up Mace’s drink. They’re sat at Mace’s desk, Mace with his feet up, a bottle already discarded to the side, with the second bottle now also emptied and tossed haphazardly across the room by the red-faced Qui Gon.

At the other end of the office, Anakin, Padme and Obi Wan sit at Anakin’s smaller, emptier desk. Obi Wan is side-eyeing the conversation going on at the other side of the office.

”If you wanted to join them I’m sure they’d let you,” Padme says.

”I’d really rather not. You know, this behaviour is not exactly becoming of a Jedi Master. I hope you realise that that’s not the way to behave?”

“I like him,”
    Padme says. ”He’s fun. Everyone else in the Council is so stuffy and uptight.” She looks Obi Wan up and down. ”You could learn a lot from him.”

Obi Wan scowls, and looks over to Anakin, who is trying to get a read on Qui Gon.

”What do you think of Qui Gon, Anakin?” Obi Wan asks.

”He confuses me. He’s a protector of the peace, you say?”

“Among other things. He’s a Jedi Master. I’m not sure how, exactly, but he is.”

Anakin looks blankly at Obi Wan.

”The Jedi are protectors of the peace, but it’s more than that. It’s about being at one with the Force. At one with everything around you. It’s about seeing the world for everything it is. To being open, and enlightened. It’s about learning, being educated. Kindness. Self-improvement. Trying to make the galaxy a better place for everyone who lives within it.”

Anakin looks back to Qui Gon, who laughs so hard at another anecdote that he spills his drink all over himself.

”Really? Him?”

Obi Wan looks over at Qui Gon and sighs. ”He’s a bad example.”

Anakin laughs, seemingly relaxing for the first time in their company.

”And that laser sword that-“

Anakin is cut off by Obi Wan and Padme becoming suddenly startled.

”What was that?” Anakin asks, but Obi Wan is too distracted.

”Did you feel that?” Obi Wan calls over to Qui Gon, who looks similarly startled.

”I felt it,” Padme says.

”I…” Qui Gon stammers, almost having instinctively climbed out of his chair, before slinking back in to it. ”I felt a little something, I guess. Nothing significant, though.”

“Nothing significant?”
    Obi Wan says, getting out of his chair and walking over to Qui Gon. ”That was a disturbance in the Force. A strong one. Something’s happening, and close. You felt it as well, I saw it in your face. All of us did.”

Qui Gon scoffs and downs his drink.

”Was it an earthquake?” Anakin asks.

Mace laughs. ”You and your damn earthquakes, boy.”

Obi Wan, however, skates over Anakin’s statement, and focuses on Qui Gon. ”What are you saying, Master Qui Gon? Are you saying that, although we are here to investigate a disturbance in the Force, and after the atrocities we saw earlier, that you think we should wait here and do nothing? When we know for a fact that farmers are being targeted, and yet we have no idea why?”

Qui Gon sneers. ”That’s exactly what I’m saying.”

Obi Wan’s eyes bug, stunned at what he’s hearing. ”Okay, you stay here. Padme and I will go and check it out.”

Obi Wan grabs his cloak and wraps it around his shoulders, and signals for Padme to follow him.

”You will go nowhere, young man,” Qui Gon barks. I am the Master here, not you. You’re not even a Jedi Knight yet. So when I say that what you felt was nothing and we stay here, that’s exactly what we do.”

Obi Wan stares directly at Qui Gon, his eyes burning with rage… until he slowly closes his eyes and breathes, trying to overcome his emotions and take him back to a more rational, zen-like place.

”As you wish, my master,” Obi Wan reluctantly says, and sits back down with Anakin and Padme.

”Wait a minute,” Padme says. ”That’s it? We’re not going to check it out?”

“Correct,”
    Obi Wan says, stoically.

Padme leaps to her feet. ”But what about the disturbance? Surely we have to do something? We can’t just sit here!”

“An order is an order, Padme. Take a seat.”

“But the disturbance!”

Anakin leans forward. ”I can take you out in the speeder if you need?”

“That would be great, thanks,”
    Padme says. ”Come on, Obi Wan, let’s go-“

“Enough!”
    Obi Wan bellows. ”Enough, okay? If Master Qui Gon says we remain here, then we remain here. It is not our call to make. Understood?”

“But-“

“Understood?”

Padme pouts and drops in to the chair, sulking. Obi Wan takes a deep breath and again tries to re-compose himself. The room sits in silence until Mace returns to his feet. ”I feel like we all need a drink. Let me-“

Mace is cut off by the electronic map on the far wall flashing a red light. Anakin rushes over and together they see a ranch on the outskirts of Mos Eisley is emitting a distress signal.

”It’s the Kallos Ranch,” Mace says, grabbing his blaster off the side. ”Tiberius and his family are being hit! Come on, we’ve got to go!”

Padme bounces to her feet and grabs her cloak, brushing past Obi Wan. ”I told you,” she growls, following Anakin and Mace to the speeder, and leaving Obi Wan and Qui Gon in the room alone. Obi Wan grabs his cloak, and walks past Qui Gon without taking his eyes off the older Jedi.

”You better hope nothing serious has happened… Master.”

The Kallos Ranch, Tatooine

The speeder pulls up to the ranch and Obi Wan leaps out before it’s come to a stop. He sprints towards the main building, seeing it’s already engulfed in flames that flicker in the night sky, and heroically sprints towards the main door with little regard for his own safety. He looks to pull on a door handle, but as soon as he touches it the roof explodes, sending Obi Wan hurtling backwards. The rest of the group rush over behind him, and when Obi Wan looks to return, Mace stops him.

”Leave it, kid. If there’s someone in there, it’s already too late.”

Anakin, meanwhile, rushes over to one of the buildings on the periphery, pulls the huge doors open, and shines a light.

”It’s empty!” he calls after them. ”The crops are gone! And…”

He drifts off.

”What is it, Anakin?” Mace yells.

Anakin drops his head. ”It’s Tiberius, sir. He’s in here. Or, he was.”

Mace’s shoulders slump, and strokes his bald head in frustration. ”Again?!” he roars. ”Another one? When is this going to end? These damned scavengers…”

“How many people lived here?”
    Obi Wan tentatively asks.

Mace gulps. ”Tiberius, in that crophouse over there, and…” he drifts off, trying to compose himself. ”Plus his wife… and their two sons.”

Obi Wan looks over to Qui Gon, who has kept his distance from the rest of the group.

”You!” Obi Wan barks, marching over to his master. ”You felt it! Just as clear as I did, you felt it, and you did nothing! You did worse than nothing… you stopped us checking it out! These people are dead, and we could have stopped it! You let these people die! Why? Are you a coward, is that it?”

Qui Gon looks away.

”Don’t look away from me, Qui Gon,” Obi Wan says, intentionally calling him by his first name rather than his rank of Master. ”Look at that building. There’s people dead in there, they burned alive. Their blood is on YOUR HANDS!”

Obi Wan breathes heavily, the fury overwhelming him.

”Careful, Obi Wan” Qui Gon says. ”That kind of anger isn’t becoming of a Jedi.”

“No, you know what isn’t becoming of a Jedi? Cowardice. Letting people die when you could do something about it. Or are you so happy drinking yourself to death you don’t give a damn about anyone else?”

“I’ve warned you, Obi Wan. This rage is not healthy. I can feel the darkness in you. And let me tell you, I’ve seen better Jedi than you get seduced by a lot less.”

“You know what, shove it. You say there’s darkness in me? I say four people died because you chose to do nothing. You tell me what Master Yoda would prefer.”

He storms off from the rest of the group.

Padme, having been let down by both her Knight and Master, walks over to Anakin, who is inspecting something in the desert floor with his torch.

”You know,” she says, ”for a group that’s so focused on peace, those two have sure fought a lot.”

Anakin says nothing, intensely focused on whatever he’s found on the floor.

”What’re you looking at?” Padme asks.

”I don’t know,” Anakin says. ”It looks like footprints, leading away from the ranch.” He gets to his feet and shines a light, following the path of footprints.

”Obi Wan!” Padme yells. ”Come check this out!”

Obi Wan walks over, grabbing Mace’s attention, who follows too.

”What is it, Padme?”

“Anakin’s found something.”

Obi Wan and Mace look over his shoulder, seeing Anakin tracking the footprints that lead to the outskirts of the ranch. Eventually he stops, and takes a step back.

”What’s going on, Anakin?” Mace asks.

”Footprints, leading from the crophouse, all the way out here… then they stop.”

“Stop? So whoever it was stopped walking here?”

“I don’t know,”
    Anakin says. ”The sand changes suddenly. It’s natural all the way back there, but suddenly it just dies. It’s completely flat. Like…”

“Like something landed here?”
    Mace asks.

Anakin nods.

”So it’s a craft?” Obi Wan asks. ”That’s how all the crops and belongings were taken away, by a craft?”

Mace shines his torch across the expanse of sand in front of them. ”And it looks like one hell of a ship, if the prints in the sand are anything to go by.” He shines the light to the left, and picks out a small building. ”And that’ll be the power room. They’ve landed next to the power, switched it off, and taken what they need. It’s an efficient system. More efficient than most starving scavengers.”

“I saw them at the Al-Raad’s,”
    Anakin offers.

”You what?”

“The footprints. I saw them at the Al-Raad ranch yesterday.”

“Why didn’t you say anything?”

Anakin shrugs. ”Didn’t know it was important.”

“It is,”
    Obi Wan interjects. ”And it’s useful. Well done. Anything else you noticed?”

Anakin nods. ”There was a load of footprints coming out the other side of the crophouse. Hundreds of them, side by side.”

Mace and Obi Wan exchange a look, and rush back to the crophouse, They shine a light on the floor, and see a series of well-co-ordinated steps leading both to and from the crophouse.

”This looks like a damn military operation,” Mace says. ”Maybe you were on to something after all.”

“That’s what worries me,”
    Obi Wan says. ”Have you-“

He suddenly freezes, as though something has hit him.

”What is it?” Mace asks.

Obi Wan glances over to Padme and Qui Gon, who have both had the same reaction.

Obi Wan pins himself to the wall of the crophouse and peers around the side. He looks for a few moments, then returns.

”Something’s coming.”

* END OF CHAPTER FIVE *

Jam Up Guy

Status

• There has been a spate of ranches outside Mos Eisley that have been targeted by an unknown source. The latest ranch, run by Lukas and Eera Al-Raad, was targeted by a mysterious figure in the darkness, carrying a double-bladed red lightsaber
    • Kenobi, an impatient do-gooder, has been sent on the mission with the arrogant, reckless Jedi Master Qui Gon Jinn, and the excitable but inexperienced apprentice Padme Amidala. It took him little time to clash with both. The Jedi have found allies in Mos Eisley in the form of Mace Windu, the city sheriff, and his protégé/pilot, Anakin Skywalker
    • On arrival in Mos Eisley, Qui Gon immediately got on the wrong side of the city gangster Sebulba, who he shot in the foot as a means to get Mace’s attention. Sebulba swore revenge
    • The Jedi felt a disturbance in the Force, only for Qui Gon to insist they don’t act on it. A distress signal was quickly sent from another ranch and the quintet headed there, but were too late and the family were killed
    • In the aftermath of the attack, Anakin found evidence of a passenger craft having landed nearby and near-militaristic levels of efficiency with stealing the farm’s goods, indicating the issue is bigger than mere scavengers
    • At that point, the Jedi realised that someone, or something, was approaching...

Chapter Six: The Showdown

The Kallos Ranch, Tatooine

Mace Windu beckons for Obi Wan, Padme and Anakin to follow him, and they jog over to a scrap heap on the edge of the farm. Already standing there is Qui Gon, who has taken cover with his back pressed to the edge of the pile. Mace pulls out a pair of goggles and inspects the distance, and sees a fleet of small speeders approaching at great pace.

”Okay, listen up, everyone,” Mace says, folding the goggles away. ”I’m in charge here, got it? You Jedi folk might be smart, but this is my world, and y’all are gonna have to do what I say if you wanna get out of it alive. Do I make myself clear?”

The Jedi nod.

”You’ve all got blasters?”

Again the Jedi nod.

”Good. Then follow my lead. Spread out a little, and only fire when you’ve got a clean shot. You miss a shot, you’re just telling them where you’re hiding. I don’t want no heroes, okay? You wanna survive, you have to be smart. I’m looking at you, Anakin.”

Anakin nods, and glances over the top of the scrap heap to where the speeders pull up. ”They’re here,” he says.

Mace nods, and peeks around the corner. There’s six speeders, each carrying two men and vastly outnumbering Mace’s group. Stepping off the front speeder is SEBULBA, the reptilian gangster who Qui Gon had upset on their arrival to Tatooine. He stands at the front of the group, inspecting the farm, as his muscle waits behind him.

”Mace Windu!” the gangster yells, ”Jee-jee keekah soh uba wata. Jee-jee takdeh uta-sha speedah.”

“Damn it,”
    Mace whispers. ”He put a tracker on our speeder and followed us here.”

”Lo not uba jee-jee huujah, besh uta-sha pateessa. Stang shash, an jee-jee widd not huurt uba.”

Qui Gon hangs his head.

”Let me guess,” Obi Wan says, dryly. ”He’s here for you.”

Qui Gon nods.

”Fantastic,” Obi Wan says.

”Come chuba ateema uta-sha hended up. Nobata bo need nee choo.”

Mace places a finger over his mouth to keep the group quiet and faces Qui Gon. ”I don’t care what Sebulba says, you can’t even think of surrendering yourself. Stay quiet, stay down, let them fan out. We pick them off one-by-one.”

The others nod, and they wait with their backs to the scrap heap, hidden from the gangsters.

”What are we doing?” Padme whispers to Obi Wan, out of shot of everyone else. ”We’re sitting ducks!”

“Be quiet.”

“We can take them! They’re petty criminals, and we’re Jedi!”

“I said, be quiet.”

Padme lifts her head above the scrap heap and looks at the invaders separating out, until Obi Wan yanks her back down.

”Would you do as you’re told? This is no time for silliness.”

Padme ignores her mentor, and again looks over the edge. She sees Sebulba standing alone, and well within range of a shot.

”The leader is right there. We can get him! We shoot him, the others will back down!”

“You don’t know that. Stay where you are. And that’s an order.”

Padme looks to argue, but she’s talked down by Obi Wan’s glare. She slumps against the scrap heap and pouts, hand still wrapped around her blaster.

Still the quintet sit still, refusing to give away their location until they’re in the optimum tactical position.

Padme squeezes the blaster even tighter.

Still they remain unmoved.

”Screw this,” she finally says, and gets up. She lines up a shot at Sebulba, and squeezes the trigger.

And misses.

The sound of the blaster echoing across the desert brings the attention of every one of Sebulba’s men spinning around and facing Padme. A sick grin forms across Sebulba’s reptilian face. Obi Wan freezes in terror, while Qui Gon and Mace try to figure out just what in the hell happened.

”Ateema,” Sebulba grunts...

… and every one of his men fires their blaster at once at Padme…

… only for Anakin to instantaneously lift a piece of scrap metal and hold it in front of the stricken Padme, deflecting the blaster shots away and to safety.

With similarly cat-like reflexes, Obi Wan grabs Padme’s arm and drags her down to safety, so Anakin pokes his head around from behind the metal, and with a zen-like focus, aims his blaster at the muscle to the left, and fires. He moves to the next one along, and fires again. He moves over once more, and fires again, then drops back behind the edge of the heap, all in one swift motion.

With that, all three henchmen drop to the sand, with a hole burning hole between their eyes.

”Nenoleeya bolla!” Sebulba yells, and the firing stops. The henchmen begin to spread out, now safe in the knowledge of where the group are hidden, and ours heroes’ element of surprise firmly a thing of the past.

Obi Wan cradles the stunned Padme, but stares disbelievingly at Anakin. ”When we get out of here, I need to talk to you about what you just did.”

If we get outta here,”
    Mace corrects. ”And by my count there’s still another nine of them out there, so if you wanna make it out alive you two need to stop flirting and focus on the job in hand.”

Obi Wan nods, and looks at Padme. ”Are you okay?”

She nods, terrified.

”I guess I don’t need to tell you that you should have followed my orders?”

She shakes her head erratically.

”Good. Stay low. Don’t move.”

He helps her to conceal herself as well as possible, and looks to Mace for further instructions.

”Right,” Mace begins. ”There’s no point being grouped together anymore. Kenobi, you fire to the left. Don’t worry about hitting, just hold their fire. Anakin, you use that to find a vantage point out left. Jinn, you fire right, and I’ll use that to head that way to get a vantage point out there. Ready? Go!”

Obi Wan fires haphazardly to the left, startling the henchmen in to taking cover. Anakin makes the most of the break in enemy fire to scurry to the vantage point to the left, and Mace follows suit to the right.

But Qui Gon isn’t providing cover fire.

As Mace sprints across the desert floor, a barrage of blasters take aim. He rushes as quickly as he can to the building to the right, but a single blaster shot hits him in the shoulder, and he goes down.

The moment Mace is hit, Anakin and Obi Wan turn to each other, almost telepathically. Mace is down in the sand, and an easy target for Sebulba’s gang with no cover fire from Qui Gon. Anakin and Obi Wan stare at each other for a couple of seconds, and without speaking, immediately start to work together to save Mace.

Anakin picks off one of the gang members with a shot between the eyes, then rushes over to Mace. Obi Wan fires aimlessly and ferociously from behind cover, his aim so random it leaves the whole of Sebulba’s gang no choice but to take cover through fear of being hit by an errant blaster shot, and allows Anakin to make it to Mace in safety. Anakin slides through the sand and grabs Mace by the robes, and starts dragging him by the tunic towards the sanctity of behind an out-house just in front.

Only Anakin hasn’t seen a figure emerging from the other side of the building, lining Anakin up with his blaster from behind.

”Anakin! Drop!” Obi Wan yells...

… but Anakin freezes, panicked as to what to do. He stares, frozen, at Obi Wan as the gang member squeezes his finger around the trigger. Obi Wan instinctively reaches out a hand, and using the Force, knocks Anakin off his feet without so much as touching him. Anakin topples over, and the blaster shot from the gang-member narrowly sails over his head. The gang member looks stunned, so Obi Wan takes a deep breath, and composes himself as he falls at one with the Force once more. He lines up the gang member at a distance and pulls the trigger… and lands a shot right in the centre of his chest.

Anakin uses the opportunity to finally drag Mace to safety, and together they lean against the wall. He peers around the corner and, re-composing himself just as Obi Wan did earlier, fires off a flurry of shots to the left, taking out another two gang members, leaving six more to go.

With Padme spooked from her earlier near miss and hence of little value, Obi Wan rushes over to beside Qui Gon, who is slouched down against the scrap heap, doing nothing to help.

”Would you get involved?” Obi Wan yells between once again poorly aimed shots at the gang.

Qui Gon is unmoved.

”What is your problem?!” Obi Wan shouts.

Still nothing.

Obi Wan grunts and snatches the unused blaster out of Qui Gon’s hand, and uses it for twice the firepower at the gang.

Anakin, meanwhile, pulls back Mace’s tunic to inspect the wound.

”I’ve had worse,” Mace grimaces and Anakin looks at the hole in his shoulder. ”Looks like this one’s gonna be down to you and me again, kid.”

Anakin nods, and helps Mace back to his feet. They press their backs against opposite sides of the wall, and take a deep breath. They look at one another and nod to indicate they’re ready, and roll out from behind. Mace, using his weaker left hand, fires off a flurry of blaster shots, his aim better than Obi Wan’s usual attempts but nowhere near as precise as Anakin. He catches a gang member in the shoulder, and continues unloading shots until it permeates his chest, stomach, neck and face, sending the gang member down to the sand. Anakin, meanwhile, is far more measured, picking off two more gang members with ease, which allows Mace to again fire off a rapid flurry of shots at another gang member, taking him down and leaving just two left.

”Give it up, Sebulba!” Mace yells, unable to see his enemy. ”You’re outnumbered. Come out with your hands up and hand yourself over. This one’s over for you!”

”Never!” the last of Sebulba’s crew bellows, diving out of cover and aiming up a shot…

… only to be cut off with a single blast from Anakin, killing him immediately.

”How about now?” Mace yells without reacting to Anakin’s shot. ”You’re on your own, Sebula, and a coward like you knows this doesn’t end well.”

Anakin peers over the top of his blaster, lining up a shot as soon as Sebulba makes his presence felt…

… when Sebulba emerges from behind a small dune in the sand, arms raised in surrender. ”Eniki, eniki, jee giv up. Uba ween agenn, Windu.”

”No,”
    Mace says, holding his injured right arm to his side as he strides towards Sebulba. ”This is different. You’ve been a problem for long enough, but this? Firing on me? Nah-ah, I ain’t letting this one go.”

Obi Wan comes out from cover, leaving Qui Gon and Padme still in hiding, and wipes the sweat from his brow as he follows Mace. ”Well, that was certainly something,” the young Jedi says. ”It certainly seems like-”

”I’ve been waiting a long time for this,”
    Mace says, cutting Obi Wan off and still striding towards Sebulba, hand wrapped tightly around his blaster.

”What’re you doing?” Obi Wan asks, but Mace pays no attention to him.

“Choy?!” Sebulba yells. ”Uba koona tah bal len, Windu? Killya je? Wett buu-ntil Jabba heara ooout da.”

“I imagine he’ll be as happy about this as I am,”
    Mace says, and lifts his blaster.

”Mace, wait!” Obi Wan yells…

… but it’s too late. Mace shoots Sebulba right between the eyes, killing him instantly.

Obi Wan’s eyes widen in shock as he sprints across the sand, barging past Mace and sliding next to Sebulba to check on him. ”He’s… he’s dead,” he says, and looks up angrily at Mace. ”You just killed the only witness we have in cold blood.”

“He ain’t a witness to anything other than his own greed, boy,”
    Mace says, lowering his weapon and grabbing his injured arm. ”Sebulba didn’t have jack to do with any of this. He’s a petty criminal, small fry who’s just trying to make ends meet to keep Jabba the Hutt off his back. He wouldn’t have been capable of anything like this, believe me. Sebulba was just looking for revenge against Jinn from earlier, whatever we’re looking for is bigger than this.”

Obi Wan gets to his feet, so Mace gives him a playful slap on the shoulder and walks off, leaving Obi Wan to look down on Sebulba’s corpse, having been killed in cold blood without any kind of trial. A death that Obi Wan won’t have ever seen before.

”He was scum,” Anakin calls over, sensing Obi Wan’s struggling with what just happened. ”Taking a guy like that off the streets can only be a good thing if you ask me.”

Anakin walks off, leaving Obi Wan to kneel over Sebulba and look at the creature. Murdered in cold blood.

This isn’t the Jedi Temple anymore.

* END OF CHAPTER SIX *

I regret nothing

Status
      Country                    UK

Apologies for not dropping in with any comments on a couple of episodes, but I wanted to let you know first off that I have been reading all of the updates in this series and you’ve definitely kept my interest. So just so you know, I’m along with you for the ride here, as long as you decide to take this. I’ll do my best to come in with any thoughts or theories when I can.

Whilst Chapter Six was the most action-heavy we have seen this far, and an enjoyable change of pace from the more story driven posts to this point (not that there was anything not to enjoy about them, quite the opposite), you still packed in a lot of character advancement in amongst all of the firefighting.

I’m glad you had Obi Wan acknowledge Anakin being such a good shot, as I’m sure we will dig into Anakin’s background a bit more in future posts, so it will be interesting to know where all of that is coming from (it’s got to be midochlorians right, huh?). This in contrast with Obi Wan and Padme being relatively ineffective during the fight. Which makes sense given that this is their first time out in the field in their respective roles. Makes one wonder what would have happened here if Mace and Anakin weren’t there. Would Qui Gon have actually done anything?

I could have liked a bit more interaction between Obi Wan and Qui Gon at the end, although I’m sure the first thing that will happen in the next chapter will be Obi Wan chewing his master out for almost getting Mace killed. How you deal with Qui Gon going forward will be very interesting, as I’m in the dark at the moment as to whether he just froze up or didn’t care about what was happening around him. Considering he might have died if things went too south, I’m assuming that he just froze and I’m looking forward to finding out why.

Knowing you, I’m sure there is more to why Mace killed Sebulba like that and completely dismissed him from the Jedi line of enquiries. Was he wanting to get Sebulba out of the picture for another reason? It’ll be interesting to find out. Obi Wan starting to realise that the way he was taught in the temple isn’t how things are really done is a really intriguing thread to pull at and how he decides to walk the line will be interesting to see.

Just a few more ramblings here, but the gist of it is that this is awesome and I’m loving it. You’re inspiring me to give something similar with another fandom of mine, but I’m sure anything I would have time to write wouldn’t be more than a pale imitation at best. Keep up the great work, mate.

Vote for WC’s Favourite Video Game of the 2010’s!
    CLICK HERE FOR THE COUNTDOWN!

Jam Up Guy

Status

• There has been a spate of ranches outside Mos Eisley that have been targeted by an unknown source. The latest ranch, run by Lukas and Eera Al-Raad, was targeted by a mysterious figure in the darkness, carrying a double-bladed red lightsaber
    • Kenobi, an impatient do-gooder, has been sent on the mission with the arrogant, reckless Jedi Master Qui Gon Jinn, and the excitable but inexperienced Padawan Padme Amidala. It took him little time to clash with both. The Jedi have found allies in Mos Eisley in the form of Mace Windu, the city sheriff, and his protégé/pilot, Anakin Skywalker
    • The Jedi felt a disturbance in the Force, only for Qui Gon to insist they don’t act on it. A distress signal was quickly sent from another ranch and the quintet headed there, but were too late and the family were killed
    • In the aftermath of the attack, Anakin found evidence of a passenger craft having landed nearby and near-militaristic levels of efficiency with stealing the farm’s goods, indicating the issue is bigger than mere scavengers
    • Sebulba, a criminal Qui Gon angered on their arrival to Tatooine, tried to stage an attack on the farm, but our heroes were able to repel it. However, Mace took a shot to the arm during the battle as Qui Gon didn’t help out at all, leaving Obi Wan and surprisingly Jedi-like Anakin to work together to save him. Mace then killed Sebulba in cold blood

Chapter Seven: The Political Divide

The Senate Chamber, Coruscant

”Order! Order!” MAS AMEDDA, a blue-skinned, half-amphibian half-humanoid bellows, smashing a gavel as loudly as he can to try and gain a sense of order amongst a rowdy political debate. ”This is not behaviour befitting those of our stature!”

Boos ring out throughout the vast dome, with pods running high up the walls all the way around, and Mas, the Vice Chair, in the middle. He waits for them to die down, and continues.

”I appreciate that things aren’t great, but-”

“What would you know about what’s going on?!”

“ORDER!”
    he screams, bringing everyone in to silence. ”You will all have the forum to speak eventually, but as is customary we will begin with words from our Supreme Chancellor, the honourable Finis Valorum!”

CHANCELLOR VALORUM gets to his feet as Mas Ameeda takes a seat. He is met with an enormous chorus of boos.

”That’s the best introduction you could manage?” he smirks to Mas as the boos continue to ring out.

”You wanted this job,” Mas says. ”You live with the consequences of it.”

“Hmm. I’m starting to question the intelligence of that decision right now.”

He turns to the rest of the dome and raises his hands in calm surrender. ”Yes, yes, I know, I know-”

“No you don’t!”
    someone yells. ”How could you?! You sit up there with your-”

“I know, and I hear you! Things aren’t great right now-”

A chorus of disbelief fills the dome.

”Not great?!” another Senator yells over the groans. ”You’d describe this as ‘not great’? My people are dying, Chancellor. People are fearing for their lives. Violence is erupting and people are scared to go out!”

“We must get tougher!”
    another Senator yells. ”What message are we sending by hiding away like this? All we do is talk but nothing changes!”

Another stands up. ”On Tatooine, farms are getting ransacked at night, the farmers left for dead so scavengers can take whatever they find. Nine nights, nine farms. That’s nine families dead, just outside one city. Our farmers are the lifeblood of our planet and they might as well stop working if they’re to have any hope of survival! You think Tatooine doesn’t have enough problems with organised crime as it is?!”

“Then what would you have me do?”
    Valorum shouts, only now gaining the full attention of the others in the room. ”Please, I’m all ears. If there’s a simple solution to all of this, please, I beg of you, bring it to me. Because my heart breaks to see the galaxy like this. I… we… we’ve given too much to see things like this. I fear your pain, Senators. You might not believe me, but I do. I can’t bear to see the galaxy as it is now. So please… suggest something. Anything. Because as long as you sit there shouting about wanting things to be different, things aren’t changing anymore than they are through calm, considered debate. So what do you have? Anyone?”

A hush falls over the auditorium. Senators exchange sheepish looks, only too happy to complain about the problems without being able to offer a solution to any of them.

Eventually, SENATOR SHEEV PALPATINE of Naboo gets to his feet. Now leaving middle age and his hairline receding, Palpatine has a somewhat soft, trusting face, and saddened eyes as he looks out across his fellow Senators.

”I hate to see this happen,” he says, calmly but clearly. ”Really, I do. I love the galaxy, and I love this Senate. I have given everything to seeing the kind of prosperity we have been used to. But it appears to me that how things have been done no longer work.”

Chancellor Valorum nods. ”I can see that. I don’t hear a solution, though, Senator Palpatine?”

Palpatine looks down, shakes his head, and looks up. ”Law… and order. You want a solution, Supreme Chancellor? That’s your solution. We have grown soft, and people know it. For too long this Senate has been dictated by the rules of your friends in the Jedi Council, Supreme Chancellor. And, in times of prosperity, in peace? Then yes, I’m sure they have plenty of valuable things to say about the world. But now? Times have changed, my friends. And as long as the Jedi Order sit up there in their little temple, talking about the world without seeing or doing anything… I’m afraid their views seem somewhat antiquated now, you might say.”

“I don’t see what this has to do with the Jedi Order, Senator?”

“You wouldn’t, Supreme Chancellor.”

There are gasps, followed by stunned silence at the temerity of the Senator to speak like that to the Supreme Chancellor.

”Senator Palpatine,” Vice Chair Mas Almeeda says, getting back to his feet and stepping in front of Chancellor Valorum to retain order once more. ”That is no way to speak to our Supreme-”

“It’s okay, Mas,”
    Valorum says, placing a hand on Mas’ shoulder and indicating for him to take a seat. ”I’m a big boy, I can take it. Senator Palpatine, I agree that I value the wisdom of the Jedi Order. They have helped guide me through many a good time and bad. But I don’t see how the wisdom of others can be seen as a bad thing?”

“Because it doesn’t work, Supreme Chancellor. Darkness is looming. Everyone can see it but you. The galaxy as we knew it isn’t changing, it has changed. And the so-called wisdom of your Jedi friends is doing little to help us, is it? They may speak of the importance of peace, but they aren’t seeing the war that is going on on each and every one of our planets day in, day out. We now live in a world without law, without order… and without discipline. We are at war, Supreme Chancellor, whether you realise it or not. We are at war with those who threaten our very way of being. In times of prosperity we can celebrate hand in hand, but when things are like they are now? We must stand firm. We will not stand for the kind of behaviour our good friend from Tatooine described earlier. We must stamp down! We must show those who try to ruin our way of life that we will not accept it! They want to take over with might? Then we fight back with greater might than they could possibly comprehend! They will get in line, or they will see the consequences of not!”

The room erupts in to applause.

Valorum lowers his head as the applause rings in his ears, and turns to Mas. Mas looks blankly back at his colleague and shrugs, very much leaving it up to Valorum to decide on an approach on his own.

Valorum sighs, looks up at the mass of bodies in front of him, and eventually locks eyes with Palpatine across the room.

”No,” Valorum growls. ”Not on my watch. Things need to change for the better, I agree with each and every one of you. I want to see this Galaxy change for the better more than anything. But not that way. Not through force. Not through anger. There must be another way. Violence doesn’t solve violence. Trying to destroy those who stand in our way is not the kind of galaxy I want to live in.”

Palpatine nods. ”You may not have to for much longer, Supreme Chancellor. Without law and order... there may not be a galaxy to live in for much longer.”

Again the other Senators erupt in applause and cheers, before a chant of ”LAW AND ORDER! LAW AND ORDER!” overwhelms the Chamber…

* END OF CHAPTER*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information