Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: WC Decides: The Premier League Player of the Decade

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: WC Decides: The Premier League Player of the Decade

10. N’Golo Kante
    133 Points (CGS - 17, MC 16 - 16, Chaddes - 14, Man - 13, Ed - 11, Shock - 9, PS - 9, Keefmoon - 8, Wolf Beast - 4)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnzYbCe-dpE

Clubs: Leicester City, Chelsea
    Premier League Achievements:
    2x Premier League Winner
    2x PFA Team of the Year
    1x Premier League Player of the Season
    1x PFA Player of the Year

So good it’s like you’re playing against twelve men. N’Golo Kante has established himself from an unknown quantity, to being the world’s best at what he does. He arrived at Leicester and instantly made an impact as he helped guide Leicester to that miracle season. Put it like this: he was in a midfield with Danny Drinkwater, and they won the league - if that doesn’t tell you how incredible this man is, I don’t know what will. The following year he left for Chelsea and did the exact same thing, being the best player for Chelsea in their 2017 title win. He’s a man with seemingly four lungs, brilliant at reading the game, intercepting passes, and tackling. By being such a presence in midfield, he allows his teams to commit more men forward because Kante will handle anything if it goes wrong.

9. Raheem Sterling
    137 Points (PS - 13, Chaddes - 10, CGS - 10, Keefmoon - 10, Shock - 8, Man - 7, Ed - 6, Wolf Beast 6)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVDJEVCUO3c

Clubs: Liverpool, Manchester City
    2x Premier League Winner
    1x Premier League Runner Up
    1x PFA Team of the Year
    1x PFA Young Player of the Year
    1x European Golden Boy
    77 Premier League Goals (8th highest)

It’s hard to believe that Sterling, despite being just 25 years old, had his first Premier appearance in 2012. Starting out at Liverpool, Sterling was one of the key components that led Liverpool to their unlikely title challenge in 2014, forming a fantastic trio alongside Sturridge and Suarez. For his efforts that season he won the European Golden Boy award. He moved over to Man City and has been a huge part of what made the City team so special. Every year he’s improved his finishing. He’s always been a lightning quick player, with a good pass, a fine dribbler, and probably most importantly is his intelligence. Even when his finishing wasn’t always there, you could see how good he was by the fact he was always getting into those positions. In the last few years he’s truly put it together, and was City’s best player in their 2019 title victory. Probably the finest Englishman in football today, and a genuine world class talent.

8. Yaya Toure
    153 Points (Wolf Beast - 10, Ed - 9, Man 9, PS - 7, Keefmoon - 6, CGS - 5, Shock - 5, MC 16 - 4)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kencBHndGQ

Clubs: Manchester City
    3x Premier League Winner
    2x Premier League Runner Up
    2x PFA Team of the Year

There’s few things in football that I’ve ever seen better than Yaya Toure when he’s in full stride, swatting aside defenders and powering towards goal. Despite being an absolute unit, Toure was a wonderfully talented footballer - brilliant touch and passing ability, his dribbling was superb, and his shots were magnificent especially from freekicks. In Man City’s 2014 title win he was well and truly unstoppable, and was comfortably Man City’s best player that year, scoring 20 goals from midfield, and winning the Man City player of the Year. From a personal standpoint, the game that always stands out to me was when City came to St James’ Park in the penultimate game of the season. Bear in mind, this was our impressive 2012 season where we finished 5th. And Yaya Toure gave one of the best midfield performances I’ve ever seen as he drove his team to a 2-0 victory to put the title in their own hands on the final day. No Toure, no “agguerrroooo” moment.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

7. Jamie Vardy
    163 Points (Ed - 10, PS - 10, Man - 10, Keefmoon - 9, CGS - 8, Shock - 7, MC 16 - 7, Chaddes - 5, Wolf Beast - 5)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByfjwuUP03o

Clubs: Leicester City
    1x Premier League Winner
    1x PFA Team of the Year
    1x BBC Goal of the Season (vs. West Brom)
    Scored in 11 Consecutive Premier League Games (Highest)
    97 Premier League Goals (6th Highest)

Jamie Vardy’s having a party. I don’t think there’s a fan out there that doesn’t appreciate and love what Vardy has been able to achieve. Probably the best story in modern football - at the start of the decade he was playing in the Northern Premier League, the 7th tier of English football. By the end of the decade, he has established himself as one of the most deadly and consistent strikers in the league. Of course, everyone will point to his amazing 2016 season where he was Leiceister’s top scorer and everything he touched seemed to turn to gold as Leicester had the most unlikely victory in the history of sports. For his efforts that season, he won the Premier League Player of the Season, and the PFA Team of the Year. He also set the record for most goals in consecutive games in Premier League history. Vardy’s movement off the ball, his pace, and his incredible finishing ability makes him one of the most feared strikers in England at the moment - he barely needs half a chance to get his goal. It’s not just his 2016 season that sees him on this list - he’s been a consistently excellent striker for several years now, and in 2019 is having one of his better seasons. For me, while Jamie Vardy might not be the best player of the decade, he is the player of the decade. His story is worthy of being a hollywood movie.

6. David De Gea
    165 Points
    (Shock - 14, Chaddes - 12, Ed - 8, Wolf Beast - 7, Keefmoon - 7, CGS - 6, Man - 5, PS - 5, MC 16 - 5)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx6FjkWQBBg
    (fucking hell, those highlights)

Clubs: Manchester United
    1x Premier League Winner
    5x PFA Team of the Year (most of any player)
    1x Premier League Golden Glove
    295 Appearances (5th Highest)
    103 Premier League Clean Sheets (3rd Highest)
    14 Premier League Saves In A Single Match (vs Arsenal - tied best)

Indisputably the keeper of the decade in the Premier League. As a pure shot stopper, I don't think there’s been many keepers that I’ve seen that are even on par with De Gea. Man Utd fans and opposition fans alike will atest the fact that this man is a game winner all on his own. While other keepers might have had more clean sheets, I think context is key: De Gea has played mostly in an era of transition for Man Utd - a team that changes its backline multiple times a season these days, whereas other keepers like Lloris and Cech have benefited for (mostly) stable backlines. De Gea has been a reliable last line of defence for Man Utd for many years - he’s been in the Premier League Team of the Year for 5 out of his 8 full seasons in the league, and the Man Utd player of the year 4 times - which is a record for a Man Utd player. To give a perspective of the sort of unreal reflexes De Gea has, he’s won the Match of the Day Save of the Season in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017. The man makes saves that no player should be able to, and is well worthy of being the best keeper and a top 10 choice for this list.
    Last edited by Shock; 01-25-2020 at 05:56 AM.

Don’t make me Chang this

Status
      Country                    UK

Kante: Glad he cracked the Top 10, and thinking a bit more he should have easily landed in my own top ten too. You can tell that players just don’t enjoy playing against him because he’s just everywhere. Best in his position in the world for me and has been now for a few years. He doesn’t get anywhere near enough praise as he should, even though he still gets a decent amount.

Sterling: If this was a list for the last five years, instead of the last ten, I think I’d have been able to justify Raheem being my top pick. He’s England’s best player at the moment by a mile, and even though he doesn’t always put it in the net he’s always finding himself in the position to do so. He’s still got a long time to improve and I don’t think we’ve seen everything he is capable of.

Toure: If not just for the Kolo/Yaya chant which everyone was doing in 2012, Toure definitely deserves a spot in the top ten. Absolute powerhouse and on some days was completely unplayable.

Vardy: If only he’d have come up through the ranks at a bigger team how much more we could have seen from him. Even before Leicester picked him up I had an idea of who he was and thought that if given the chance, he’d get in most PL teams, and I think with the exception of Liverpool and maybe City, he’d walk in as lead striker in any team in the league at the moment. Responsible for some of the most memorable moments of the last decade, and his record of most consecutive games scored in is no joke.

De Gea: Even at the moment, when his form isn’t the best, he’s still banging out some incredible saves. Comfortable choice for the keeper of the decade. Man United would have been in a lot more trouble than they have been in recent years if it weren’t for him.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

What a talent Milner is. He’s one of those players that just got better with age and adapted his game really well. Same with Terry.

it’s a shame that KDB stunk at Chelsea, if he had he would have had a legit claim at the #1 spot in this thing.

Kante and Yaya are truly two of the best mids around at their peaks. Kante was instrumental in Leicester’s title winning run and Yaya was an absolute rock in the City midfield.

Raheem has only gone from strength to strength and is easily one of the best wingers in world football right now. Dude isn’t even in his peak years yet which is unreal to think about

Agreed with you Shock in that Vardy’s story could easily be a movie. From 7th tier to Premier league winner in 6 years is incredible and it’s gonna be a strange day when he’s no longer at Leicester. Really hope they get a top 4 finish so we can see him play Champo League football again.

Despite the recent fluffs De Gea is still one of the best Keepers in world football and it wouldn’t shock me if he moves on from Man U in the summer. Don’t know how they would replace him
    If he did. Easily the best keeper in the last decade by a great distance.

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Kante - I think he's going to go down in history as the best defensive midfielder in PL history. I've never seen someone be so good at interceptions and breaking down attacks. He also seems like the most down to earth, innocent bloke in football too. I'm sure when he was at Leicester there was a story that he used to jog to the training ground he was that fit

Sterling - That's kind of incredible that Sterling only made the team of the year once, but then again Aguero has never made it in. He was already probably the best teenager we've seen in the premier league this decade, and he's developed into one of the few world class players the league has.

Yaya - big big presence, so commanding, pretty much everything you'd want in a central midfielder. Just a shame he fizzled out at City that final year.

Vardy - He's the fairytale player of the PL over the last 25 years, a poster boy for what hard work and determination can achieve. Ice cold finisher, blistering pace and unbelievable confidence in himself. Very happy to see he's having another fantastic season and he'll join the 100 club in no time.

De Gea - I think he's a bit high in 6th in all honesty because it took him a little while to settle in the league and the last year hasn't been good, but he's been the best in his position considering how many years he's been playing relative to the quality newcomers like Alison and Ederson.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

5. Harry Kane
    177 Points: (Wolf Beast - 11, CGS - 9, Man - 8, PS - 6, Shock - 6, MC 16 - 6, Keefmoon - 5, Ed - 4, Chaddes - 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhUbQW-Rmhc

Clubs: Tottenham Hotspur
    4x PFA Team of the Year
    2x Premier League Golden Boot
    136 Premier League Goals (2nd Highest)
    Best Goals Per Game Ratio in any Premier League Season (29 in 30 for 2016/2017)

Harry Kane just came out of nowhere in the 2014/2015 season. At the time, this young prospect had had some mediocre loan spells, and the odd start for Spurs. But in his first proper season as a Premier League starter, he scored 21 goals, and would follow that up with seasons of 25, 29, and 30 goals. Even in his “down” years in 2019 and 2020, despite being tired and suffering injuries, he’s still managed a respectable 17 goals in 2019 and 11 goals so far this season. Kane is also one of the few players that can make a genuine claim that he was the best in the world at his position at one point. In 2017 he scored 39 Premier League goals in the calendar year (a record) and also was the top scorer across all of europe, beating out the legendary Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. Kane’s qualities are easy for all to see, he’s a complete and perfect striker. His link up play is exceptional, as is his touch and hold up play. He is an unbelievable finisher with both feet, and he has the uncanny ability to finish half chances based off instinct. He’s won the Golden Boot in consecutive seasons, was in the PFA Team of the Year in four straight seasons, and was the Young Player of the Year in his breakout season. Not only that, but Harry Kane has scored against 29 of the 30 different Premier League teams he has played against (only recently promoted Sheffield United have survived so far).Harry Kane for several years was arguably the best striker in the league and maybe the whole world.

4. Eden Hazard
    184 Points (MC 16 - 11, Wolf Beast - 9, Chaddes - 8, Man - 6, CGS - 4, PS - 4, Keffmoon - 4, Ed - 3, Shock - 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnf9rUW3slU

Clubs: Chelsea
    2x Premier League Winner
    4x PFA Team of the Year
    1x PFA Player of the Year
    85 Premier League Goals (7th Highest)
    54 Premier League Assists (5th Highest)
    909 Successful Dribbles (highest)

Eden Hazard was my personal pick for this and I’ll stand by that until death. That highlight video really does encapsulate everything that made Hazard so special. Perhaps no player in the decade was the fortunes of his club so linked to the quality of one player. Hazard was the man in two title winning seasons for Chelsea. In his seven years at Chelsea he was their Player of the Year four times, including for both title winning campaigns. Despite some criticism for not contributing enough to goals, he still was top 10 for goals and assists in the league over the decade - only Wayne Rooney also achieved this. Hazard is probably the best dribbler the league has seen - his ability to take on a man (usually despite being double teamed), or bait a foul for his team is remarkable. He’s deceptively strong with a low centre of gravity. In front of goal he was good, if unspectacular, but still usually a cool head. His real strength outside of his dribbling is his passing, link up play, and ability to hold up the ball for his team. Outside of a poor 2015/2016 season, there’s not been a year when he hasn’t been a clearly world class talent and among the best players (if not the best) in the league.

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Sterling - That's kind of incredible that Sterling only made the team of the year once, but then again Aguero has never made it in. He was already probably the best teenager we've seen in the premier league this decade, and he's developed into one of the few world class players the league has.
    Aguero's been in TOTY the last 2 seasons has he not? Feel like he definitely righted that injustice, and even as a United fan if he doesn't win this there's something wrong.

Although it looks like a City top 3 regardless haha - unless I've stupidly missed Komps in the countdown, I'd presume it's him, Silva and Aguero in that order.

Great work on this btw Shock, feel like certainly our top 10 are all pretty much spot on!

And he scores goals...!

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

3. Vincent Kompany
    204 Points (Ed - 5, Shock - 4, Chaddes - 4, MC 16 - 3, Wolf Beast - 3, Man - 3, PS - 3, Keefmoon - 3, CGS - 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTrOop6nF7Y

4x Premier League Winner (tied most)
    3x PFA Team of the Year
    1x BBC Goal of the Season (vs Leicester City - 2019)

Kompany is undoubtedly the best defender of the decade. Arriving at Manchester City prior to the takeover, he established himself as a world class defender early into his Premier League career and never looked back. Tall, powerful, quick with a good pass and extremely intelligent. Kompany was more than just a great player, he was an incredible leader as he captained Manchester City to four Premier League trophies. Injuries hampered the later part of the decade, but he still proved pivotal in two further Premier League title wins - most memorably with his goal of the season in a must-win game away to Leicester City.

2. David Silva
    217 Points (CGS - 3, Chaddes - 3, Wolf Beast - 2, Man - 2, PS - 2, Shock - 2, Ed - 1, MC 16 - 1, Keefmoon 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C_23yqIeI4

4x Premier League Winner (tied most)
    2x PFA Team of the Year
    89 Premier League Assists (highest)
    297 Appearances (4th Highest)
    768 Changes Created (highest)

There’s not many better players on the eye than an in-prime David Silva. Delicious passes and link up play, and such a clever off the ball player. He’s a truly magical player that you appreciate even more when you see him play in the flesh. He’s been a staple of Manchester City’s relentless attack over the last decade, topping all sorts of passing statistics for the league across the decade. What I like about Silva is what separates him from the likes of Ozil - Silva is a nasty prick on the pitch, and always willing to stick his boot in where necessary. It’s this tenacity and workrate that has made him a favourite of each Man City boss that he’s played under. Quite simply, one of the most joyful footballers to ever play in the league.

1. Sergio Aguero
    220 Points (Shock - 3, Ed - 2, MC 16 - 2, Keefmoon 2, CGS - 1, Chaddes - 1, Wolf Beast - 1, Man - 1, PS - 1)

bE&fs=1" width="425" height="329">bE&fs=1" />bE">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAo2nLSbE

4x Premier League Winner
    2x PFA Team of the Year
    1x Premier League Golden Boot
    174 Premier League Goals (highest)
    Best Premier League Goal Per Minute Ratio

The man of the decade. A player whose very name conjures up one of the greatest footballing moments in the history of the sport. You cannot tell the story of the Premier League in the 2010s without this man. Aguero is quite simply the best finisher of the decade and one of the best in world football. His movement off the ball is remarkable, allowing him to get just the inch of space he needs to get his sight of goal - and also allows him, despite being fairly short, to even be a danger in the air. Like Silva, he’s not all flash either - he’s more than willing to press and get stuck in where necessary, and just make life as miserable for defenders as possible. His 174 goals is miles clear of the second highest. In his 8 seasons in the league, he’s scored over 20 goals in 6 of these; he’s on course for another this year, and only missed out in one of the other years due to injury. He’s scarily consistent and when he pops up on Match of the Day with another hattrick, nobody is ever surprised. He’s a world class talent and takes his rightful spot at the top of this list.

This has been the decade of Manchester City as they take 1, 2 and 3 on our best players list.
    Last edited by Shock; 01-27-2020 at 06:28 PM.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Full List:

1. Sergio Aguero - 220 Points
    2. David Silva - 217 Points
    3. Vincent Kompany - 204 Points
    4. Eden Hazard - 184 Points
    5. Harry Kane - 177 Points
    6. David De Gea - 165 Points
    7. Jamie Vardy - 163 Points
    8. Yaya Toure - 153 Points
    9. Raheem Sterling - 137 Points
    10. N’Golo Kante - 133 Points
    11. John Terry - 93 Points
    12. Kevin De Bruyne - 86 Points
    13. James Milner - 82 Points
    =14. Cesar Azpilicueta - 81 Points
    =14. Sadio Mane - 81 Points
    16. Riyad Mahrez - 79 Points
    17. Robin Van Persie - 78 Points
    18. Wayne Rooney - 71 Points
    19. Alexis Sanchez - 61 Points
    20. Luis Suarez - 53 Points
    21. Frank Lamard - 52 Points
    22. Toby Alderweireld - 46 Points
    23. Petr Cech - 34 Points
    24. Virgil Van Dijk - 28 Points
    25. Jan Vertonghen - 27 Points
    26. Gareth Bale - 26 Points
    27. Steven Gerrard - 21 Points
    28. Mohammad Salah - 20 Points
    =29. Aaron Ramsey - 18 Points
    =29. Fernandinho - 18 Points
    31. Romelu Lukaku - 15 Points
    32. Ben Foster - 14 Points
    =33. Didier Drogba - 13 Points
    =33 Kasper Schmeichel - 13 Points
    =35. Christian Eriksen - 11 Points
    =35 Mesut Ozil - 11 Points
    =37. Jonny Evans - 8 Points
    =37. Michael Carrick - 8 Points
    39. Hugo Lloris - 7 Points
    40. Paulo Zabaleta - 4 Points
    =41. Phillipe Coutinho - 3 Points
    =41. Cesc Fabregas - 3 Pints
    =43. Seamus Coleman - 2 Points
    =43. Leighton Baines - 2 Points
    =43. Troy Deeney - 2 Points
    46. Laurent Koscielny - 1 Point

All in all, I think that's a pretty great list. Thanks to all the voters who participated. In particular I think we absolutely nailed the top 10 - while there might be a couple of issues with placements, I think in general there's not a lot to get upset about there.

Run

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post

This has been the decade of Manchester City as they take 1, 2 and 3 on our best players list.
    And somewhere Crocker sheds a single tear.

Like the best worker project, haven't seen enough to be involved but have enjoyed reading. Great job everyone and especially Shock.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I voted David Silva #1 btw.

Deserved top 3 though.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    I voted David Silva #1 btw.

Deserved top 3 though.
    Indeed you did, apologies.

I had included it in the total though so doesn't change the outcome.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Don’t make me Chang this

Status
      Country                    UK

Can’t argue with that top three, or any of the player who made the top 10. Mane is probably the only one I could argue should be in there too, but I couldn’t tell you who should get bumped out to facilitate it.

Great work putting all of this together, Shock. Excellent write ups for all of the players.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Kane - Yeah, you know what I've got him too high haven't I? Still, great strike rate from him and I don't think anyone is carrying a top club on his shoulders more than Kane has done this decade.

Hazard - Best winger of the decade and I think just this last month we've seen the real difference he makes to not being around at Chelsea as they fail to kill off games they are dominating. Dangerous player.

Kompany - Every club would love to have a captain like him. Best defender of the decade and only injuries stopped him being higher on my list

Silva - My favourite player of the decade and every time I watched City destroy us in the PL, he was the MOTM every time. Wonderful footballer.

Aguero - Shock it makes such a nice change to hear you speak so positively about Sergio Aguero One of the best striker's the league has ever seen for sure.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Had this on draft for like a week

Kane - This dude legit came out of nowhere to be one of the best strikers in the world. Without him I doubt Spur ever have a champions league run this year.

Hazard - Exceptional player and you can see just how much Chelsea are missing him this year. In fact Ed i see your Kane carrying Spurs & match it with Hazard carrying Chelsea. They just don't have that killer instinct anymore.

Kompany - Amazing player....absolute fucker for scoring that goal during the Leicester game which effectively lost us the league....but an amazing player for sure. City are really missing a player like him this year (Laporte is doing a good job of filling the hole for sure)

Silva - Wondeful player and easily one of the drivers of City's contentious success. Aguero has an amazing goal ratio but that doesn't happen without a player like Silva right behind him making those plays

Aguero - Honestly i had my reservations about him being the number 1 player in the league over the last 10 years but as i started to put together the list i realised that he truly has been the more consistent player year in year out. His form has never dipped, he's never had any bad times, he's the most reliable and consistent goalscorer in the league by a great distance and he's damn near irreplaceable. While those 2 amazing players behind him were great, i don't know where City would be without all the goals Aguero scored for them. Fully deserved.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Ed, I love Aguero and fully accept he's one of the best players in Premier League history. My only reservations against him are when he's called the best striker in the league's history because there is some really tough competition there. But he's an amazing footballer and most of my negativity towards him is very tongue in cheek.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Ed, I love Aguero and fully accept he's one of the best players in Premier League history. My only reservations against him are when he's called the best striker in the league's history because there is some really tough competition there. But he's an amazing footballer and most of my negativity towards him is very tongue in cheek.

It's all good, I bring it up as a tongue in cheek thing anyway, this season's 'strength in depth' between us x

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information