Thread: Behind The Characters

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Behind The Characters

We've got some new members, so I thought this would be a good time to get to know each other better, with a little bit of background on all of us.

How Long Have You Been EFedding?
    Since 2006. Back on PWS when I joined there was the FWA and another e-fed; Wild Something Something(?). I actually joined the other fed first, but it was a barely there fed that died before I ever even wrote a promo. So then I joined the FWA quickly after that.

What Got You Into Efedding?
    Ultimately it was just me being a big Wrestling fan. The idea of creating a character and writing promos seemed like a fun and creative way to extend that Pro Wrestling fandom. If I wasn't already into e-fedding though I can safely say in 2019 I wouldn't get into it now, because I'm not really a huge Pro Wrestling fan anymore. Its not for me, its become too niche and too centred around doing flips and spots with a near complete absence of anything else Pro Wrestling needs to be entertaining and engaging, too me.

How Did You Create Your Current Character?
    Gabrielle was originally just a manger for my main character; Jack Severino. The idea too Jack was he was basically me if I was a wrestler, with a hot babe like Gabrielle Richens by his side. The character has evolved a lot since then and become something completely different. Splitting Jack and Gabrielle up let me take both characters in completely different directions, and Gabrielle has become what she is now.

What Inspires You To Write Your Current Character?
    At this point after writing Gabrielle for so long she is basically her own inspiration in a way. The character herself inspires me to write her now. I can draw upon who and what Gabrielle has been in the past and further emphasis the characteristics she has. But Rihanna is actually an inspiration for the character as well. Just that whole take no shit, boss bitch, rule the World in everything she does attitude. Gabrielle has that same attitude, or at least I try to give it to her. Rihanna's overt sexuality, and comfort with her body is also paralleled in Gabrielle as well. Someone who can play up their sexuality but still be focused. In a smaller way as well I also draw some inspiration from the likes of Maria Brink, Tatiana Shmailyuk, Lena Scissorhands, etc. Female Metal vocalists who can sing and growl/scream and show a real duality in what they can do. Gabrielle has that duality in that she can be a cold hearted bitch, but also be a loving Hero.

What Is Your Writing Process Like?
    Typically I think of a setting, scene, location that fits the match or the opponent, or just the occasion. Something that fits the character of Gabrielle, and can tie into the match

The Maniacal Martyr

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Behind The Characters

How Long Have You Been EFedding? 2012, on and off since 2012. I'll join here and there, then take a break sometimes.
    What Got You Into Efedding? The fact to portray a character to wrestle and talk interested me.
    How Did You Create Your Current Character? My original character was a narcisstic show off, but I figured just be real. And I did, changed my character to be more in the woods.
    What Inspires You To Write Your Current Character? Like I said, being real and having fun doing so, talking about fishing and hunting.
    What Is Your Writing Process Like? Sometimes its short sweet and to the point. I'm not a guy that rambles on sometimes, some people dont like to see rambling on and on.

The Artist of Chaos

Status

Since 2007

Woke Willis

My personality exaggerated times 100

He has a story arc

I break my writing down in three-four themes and fill them in.

Status

Since 2011. I was on in an efed that I ran with Broc Lobster called HWA (Hardcore Wrestling Association) on a forum called ewnforums. That forum ended up being pretty cancerous however, so Broc and I left and joined pwsforums where I found FWA. That was in 2012 when I first started there. Both of those forums are now closed down, but I've been on WC since 2013. I don't think I started e-fedding though until 2014 on WC. I really enjoyed writing for HWA, we had some pretty good story arcs in that time. Tommy Thunder was apart of it, and I think OMB might have been too but I can't remember specifically on him. However there were some flaws with the way we ran e-feds on that forum, as we didn't grade promos. It was more like WWE where the creative team decides who wins and loses, but with less consideration.

I very much enjoy the style of FWA, because you actually have to earn your wins.

When I started e-fedding in 2011, I was...14-15 years old. And just writing every day, I feel like it really helped me develop scholastically. It probably did more good for me than some of my school work. So I give a lot of credit to how I now write professionally in my field to writing promos throughout high school and college.

Broc asking me to help run his e-fed. I was still into wrestling at the time. Broc, before EWN, actually started HWA through the Yahoo Answers board. I have no idea how that worked. The early days of HWA were pretty raw, but we developed it into (my opinion) one of the best feds on the site. But like I said that forum was pretty cancerous, and it eventually became not worth doing anymore. I'm grateful to have found the FWA since then.

Based loosely on myself. However, I'm no longer a fan of creating characters based on me. In anything...even in sports games like Madden, I don't create myself. I like to create different characters and different stories instead.

I did retire Dave Sullivan and create Ty Johnson for this reason, but I left Sullivan with a lot of unfinished things I wanted done. Winning the FWA World Championship wasn't even on that list as I didn't think it was within my reach, but here I am. Now Dave has grown SO much in the last year that I can't retire him yet.

The original creation of Ty Johnson is a whole different story that I don't even feel comfortable sharing.

Currently, the success. Like I said, I wanted to bring back Dave Sullivan for one final hoorah. But I never imagined the hoorah would be this big, and now it just won't die down. I've finally had true success with one of my characters, and so that's what drives me. Eventually, likely soon, the success will stop. Because what comes up must go down.

But the success isn't truly the main part. The biggest part is the storytelling. One of the reasons it took me so long to break Sullivan's glass ceiling is because I was so storyline focused. I think at times it was a little too story focused for e-fedding, and strayed away from wrestling. I've found a good middle point where I can still tell good stories, but it's all on track with e-fedding and wrestling. But I still love the storytelling part of it, and it's what drives me for each promo.

I have a notepad app on my phone, where anytime I get an idea for a promo, I write it down in there. Sometimes they're just ideas for one tiny line, other times they're ideas for the entire theme, or a setting.

But honestly in my last five or so promos, I've been pretty dry. I know it doesn't seem like it, but I came up with the ideas that won me my matches at the very last second, usually three hours before the deadline where I spent the entire week trying to figure out what to write that would help me stand out. I usually come up with my best ideas under pressure like that.

So while some people write their promo throughout an entire week, I do it at the very last second. I think it helps, but there's definitely a lot of cons to that too. I usually don't have time to proof read everything because I'm posting it five minutes before the deadline. I did the same thing with my college papers.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post

Since 2011. I was on in an efed that I ran with Broc Lobster called HWA (Hardcore Wrestling Association) on a forum called ewnforums. That forum ended up being pretty cancerous however, so Broc and I left and joined pwsforums where I found FWA. That was in 2012 when I first started there. Both of those forums are now closed down, but I've been on WC since 2013. I don't think I started e-fedding though until 2014 on WC. I really enjoyed writing for HWA, we had some pretty good story arcs in that time. Tommy Thunder was apart of it, and I think OMB might have been too but I can't remember specifically on him. However there were some flaws with the way we ran e-feds on that forum, as we didn't grade promos. It was more like WWE where the creative team decides who wins and loses, but with less consideration.

I very much enjoy the style of FWA, because you actually have to earn your wins.

When I started e-fedding in 2011, I was...14-15 years old. And just writing every day, I feel like it really helped me develop scholastically. It probably did more good for me than some of my school work. So I give a lot of credit to how I now write professionally in my field to writing promos throughout high school and college.

Broc asking me to help run his e-fed. I was still into wrestling at the time. Broc, before EWN, actually started HWA through the Yahoo Answers board. I have no idea how that worked. The early days of HWA were pretty raw, but we developed it into (my opinion) one of the best feds on the site. But like I said that forum was pretty cancerous, and it eventually became not worth doing anymore. I'm grateful to have found the FWA since then.

Based loosely on myself. However, I'm no longer a fan of creating characters based on me. In anything...even in sports games like Madden, I don't create myself. I like to create different characters and different stories instead.

I did retire Dave Sullivan and create Ty Johnson for this reason, but I left Sullivan with a lot of unfinished things I wanted done. Winning the FWA World Championship wasn't even on that list as I didn't think it was within my reach, but here I am. Now Dave has grown SO much in the last year that I can't retire him yet.

The original creation of Ty Johnson is a whole different story that I don't even feel comfortable sharing.

Currently, the success. Like I said, I wanted to bring back Dave Sullivan for one final hoorah. But I never imagined the hoorah would be this big, and now it just won't die down. I've finally had true success with one of my characters, and so that's what drives me. Eventually, likely soon, the success will stop. Because what comes up must go down.

But the success isn't truly the main part. The biggest part is the storytelling. One of the reasons it took me so long to break Sullivan's glass ceiling is because I was so storyline focused. I think at times it was a little too story focused for e-fedding, and strayed away from wrestling. I've found a good middle point where I can still tell good stories, but it's all on track with e-fedding and wrestling. But I still love the storytelling part of it, and it's what drives me for each promo.

I have a notepad app on my phone, where anytime I get an idea for a promo, I write it down in there. Sometimes they're just ideas for one tiny line, other times they're ideas for the entire theme, or a setting.

But honestly in my last five or so promos, I've been pretty dry. I know it doesn't seem like it, but I came up with the ideas that won me my matches at the very last second, usually three hours before the deadline where I spent the entire week trying to figure out what to write that would help me stand out. I usually come up with my best ideas under pressure like that.

So while some people write their promo throughout an entire week, I do it at the very last second. I think it helps, but there's definitely a lot of cons to that too. I usually don't have time to proof read everything because I'm posting it five minutes before the deadline. I did the same thing with my college papers.
    Writing the sort of promos you have been in 3 hours is beyond impressive.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    Writing the sort of promos you have been in 3 hours is beyond impressive.
    Unfortunately it's been my best strategy for writing since college. Whether it's a FWA promo or a grad school paper, I procrastinate to the last minute and then throw together a masterpiece.

For some reason I just do best under pressure like that.

Most of the time too, I sleep right before it. So I might have worked 8 hours 7am to 3pm that day. I'll go to sleep right when I get home, and then set my alarm for 11pm-12am. Then wake up and pound it out, and then want to kill myself the next day at work being super tired.
    Last edited by Sully; 11-27-2019 at 01:20 AM.

I'm a Stone Cold Lee Guy.

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Since the summer of 2010. August 14th if you want the date, I remember it because it was the same day I bought “American Psycho”, yes I was THAT sixteen year old. Which is near on a decade; and that’s still spooky to say; because compared to some people in the efedding seem like they know what they’re doing and way more organized. Then I will ever be. It’s been ten years but let’s be real; I have no idea what the fuck I’m doing.

Honestly? Depression. Isolation. As you can tell from above, sixteen years old was your typical overly awkward nerd with no social skills and not cut out for a physical hobby, I liked wrestling, I like creative writing, and I found this site -Don’t ask me how,- and I read some of the stuff from Mr Willis (my boi) Mr Showtime, and I thought, I might give it a shot, even though I was shite quite frankly; You thought I was prone to spelling errors now? Hoooo boi. I was rough. But I will say, I wouldn’t be here if the great and much-missed co-founder of CWA Sawyer didn’t take pity on me and took me under his wing and done learned teen AON how to write.

I would say my motivations were, for Kevin Cromwell -Which by the way is a name I regret, when picking a name I totally blanked on the historical implications of that last name, especially as an Irish man. But I guess I’m stuck with it now. Ooops. Were designed to get out of my comfort zone.

I think anyone who's been following my E-Fed career, knows that I favour a certain type of character; I typically go for “Characters” than actual “wrestlers” out there and quite frankly silly shit (Chubby Carlos, Lilith, Bell Connelly ETC.) I know I’m in the minority on this, but when it comes to e-fed, I’d pick “Whacky Zany gimmicked as hell wrestler” then “Serious Joe the ROH prototype any day of the week Like wrestling, E-Fed is meant to be fun. Never EVER EVER taken serious, so my philosophy is “If you care about wins and losses, you’re fedding wrong, and making a fun silly gimmicked wrestler, is fun as hell if you find the right mindset.

But I digress,

What I’m basically getting at is that, I tend to make wrestlers a certain way, so now I’m trying a new angle. I’m getting out of my comfort zone to see if I can write “Serious Joe-ultra wrestler” I think getting out of one’s comfort zone is a cool thing, and if Cromwell is a success I feel like I’d prove to myself that I’m not some kind of one-trick pony.

Didn’t I just answer this? Fuck.

Ok, well seeing as I just wrote about KC, how about I answer this for Bell?

What inspired me to write Bell Connelly; was very simple; I’ve said this a lot of times, but it always bare’s repeating; I’ve never expected Bell Connelly to get to the status she is now; my OG intent was very simple a fun stupid female “Santino” est charrie that I can mildly amuse people with, have fun writing dumb promos and have a bit of fun as the resident jobber to the stars. But here was the thing; She kept winning, and just kept winning, promo’s that I thought were pure nonsense were not only fun to write but also getting wins.

So I thought, ok let’s see how far I can take this.

Turns out pretty damn far.

While we're on the topic, the single hardest thing I’ve ever had to do in my E-Fed career was turning Bell heel, I deliberated day and night on that, The Bell Connelly charrie at its core was probably the least “Dark” gimmick imaginable, she was literally pure as driven snow but eventually, I thought with a world title reign to play around with and a sure to be that elusive KILLER blood feud that I never had in my E-fed career with Shannon, there was more fun to be explored with something new.

In one week of the heel turn, Shannon was retired, and Cyrus Beat Bell for the belt in a lost that essentially banished Bell Connelly from the main event forevermore.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

That was the most difficult week in my e-fed career; I felt Bell’s heel turn was DOA, so I had to figure out “Ok, how do I figure out, who is Bell Connelly the heel WITHOUT the main factors of the heel turn and yet still keep that element of fun.”

On the whole, I think I did a decent job, and I’m kind of proud of the stuff I was able to do with heel Bell considering the actual turn imploded before her first full show as a heel!

Chaotic. Simple as that. I’m a stream of consciousness writer, I toss around scene ideas in my head until I find one I fall in love with, And I literally will not move until I find one I enjoy. Then I try to find the words to fit around said scene, which mainly involves staring at a blank page for three days while listening to my e-fed playlists.

Oh yeah; I have those, I always considered Bell Connelly a very "Musical/Theatrical " wrestler, With the whole disney princess themes she had so I would listen to a lot of music to get me in a bell mind set

Bell Connelly (Face)
    "I Got The Key"-Urban Cookie Collective
    “Tell The World”-Eric Hutchinson
    “Girls Just wanna have fun”-ALL versions
    “Goonies are good enough-Cindy L again
    Literally every Disney princess medley I could find online
    "I'm the greatest star"-Funny Girl
    "Cabaret"-Cabaret
    "Make Em' Laugh"-Singing In The Rain

Bell Connelly (Heel)
    Chick Habit-An April March
    These boots are made for walking
    Mad Hatter-Melanie Martinez
    Her Name Is Alice-Shinedown
    “Girl Anachronism”
    “Missed Me”
    “Coin-Operated Boy”
    -Dresden Dolls
    “All the Things she said-Tatu
    “Poor Unfortunate Souls”
    "Candy Store"-Heathers
    "Cell Block Tango"-Chicago
    "Mein Herr"-Cabaret
    "Heaven On Their Mind/The Last Supper-Jesus Christ Superstar (This one in particular would be used a lot against Shannon, just because the lyrics of these songs I feel fit so well with that feud)
    and literally this song on a loop

There are more, but you get the idea.

Yes I think way too deeply on these things
    Last edited by An Original Name; 11-27-2019 at 04:31 PM.
    The most amazing thing about this recent conversation is that I've learned AON is even more of a waste of space than I thought he was previously

MERHABALAR AQ

Status
      Country                    Turkey

Since early 2009, I believe. We had a very huge e-fed scene in Turkey back in early 2010's. But all of them were about real feds and using real characters. And I played in a LOT of platforms, including lots of forums and Facebook. They were all in Turkish and had a very different system compared to what we have in FWA. Very, very different. I didn't even know they were called e-feds untli I signed up here in Clique. I followed the fed for a few years while still playing in Turkish feds. Then Turkish fed scene got very small until there were 3 left, in which I was the admin of 2 of them. Both of them closed down due to reasons and I really, really didn't like the other one. So, that resulted in me putting on my big boy shoes and applying for FWA. Then came the Sin City Vultures and you know the rest.

When I started, I was younger, I was much dumber. The thought of playing wrestlers and reading shows about our wrestlers seemed insanely fun. It was, but I really don't want to remember the mayhem that was Turkish e-fed scene in early 2010's. But yeah, then this evolved until I really got good at it in my own native language. I played them, managed them. It was still fun, but there were more aspect of professionalism there since I felt like I had a responsibility to those playing under my management. People were really liking my writing, and that evolved into me writing more and more too. As proper 'e-fedding' like here, I used to read the shows and the formatting, the wrestlers, they were lots better than what we had in Turkey, and I had decent grasp of English. I told to myself 'what can you lose? if you find out that you're not good at it, you can quit anytime you want.', then applied.

First of all, Sin City Vultures was me being edgier to cover up some lack of quality. Throw in edgy stuff, anarchy, fire, society bad, blah blah and it surprisingly worked.

As for Nova Diamond, I honestly can't describe how I created that. I think the idea of an arrogant, brash, cocky, young wrestler was always there. But then the idea evolved and evolve. He has a backstory, a full-cast of people involved in his story and much more. And of course, he got some traits from myself too, like being a Pink Floyd addict.

Thank you AON for creating Cromwell so I could make the switch from Oasis to PF.

Oh, and lastly, the way KAIZEN had written Nova in nGw shows helped a lot too.

Mainly, it's to further Nova's story. I'm trying something with Nova that I had never tried before and that's trying to make the character more human. Sin City Vultures wasn't like that. There were writing for sure, but it was there so it could be substance to my promos. For example, the backstory of Chris Manson was revealed because Tig had done an insane promo against me and I needed something to respond. SCV for sure, they had their banters, their feelings and all of that but with Nova, I feel like I'm really trying to write a story more than just adding those stuff to the promos so I can do better. I even deleted some stuff from my Nova promos that I decided that would be better off in future promos. I've never done something like that while writing SCV. I would've probably stockpiled all of those ideas until I decided the promo was good enough.

But the positive feedback I've been getting since debuting Nova, and the fact that I've been winning matches I didn't imagine I would be winning is a huge inspiration too. And the fact that the expectations from me getting higher, and the higher places I find myself in the card is something that lits a fire under my ass too. If I don't do my best against Sully, if I don't try to match-up to him, I would feel like I would be disrespecting him given the stakes. And I would be disrespecting the mods and the players too.

So yeah, please help this poor boy who accidentally made his way into the BIB main-event.

I'm more like Sully on this.

I try to think of an idea until the last 2 days, sometimes longer than that. If I came up with multiple ideas, it takes another day to decide what idea should I use. For example, my Carnal Contendership promo was nearly going to be about Nova falling into asleep and finding himself in Westeros in his dream. Then George R.R. Martin would appear and request Nova's help because all of the characters he had written were replaced by FWA wrestlers. I switched that idea into the presentation one just minutes before I started writing.

When the idea is settled, I try to come up with some bulletpoints, to create the skeleton of the promo so I don't do it blindly. And after that is done, I go ham until it's like 4-5 A.M. in our timezone. Then I spellcheck one or two times, then let the kraken into the world for everyone to see.
    Worker bees can leave.
    Even drones can fly away.
    The Queen is their slave.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Very fun reads so far from everyone! Figure I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Since the summer of 2017. I started with the UWF, a real life fed that was trash talk style. Two members or more would enter a thread started by someone in the ring, and they'd have a promo battle back and fourth. Accomplishment wise;
    - Won an Intercontinental Championship as Vampiro, my very first character
    - Won MITB as Jimmy Jacobs on Revolution
    - Won the UWF International Championship as Kenny Omega on Resistance

From what I know there might be a few former UWF members still around WC, but I can't remember which. I picked up the e-fed game pretty quick according to my peers. I was there from 2017 to early 2019 before being banned over a dispute. Jacobs was my top guy, I felt very natural playing a somewhat flamboyant, down to Earth, "I'll Take You Down With Me" type character. I also experiemented with other feds during my tenure there like EWC, EAW, EMF, and EWA for mostly uneventful runs. I currently play a character in the EWC. I also had a small tenure in both WWE E-Feds (probably my worst experiences. Won a Smackdown Tag Title as Sami Callihan w/ The Big Show in 2018).

Google honestly! I found my first fed through it and got hooked ever since. The idea of having imaginary wrestling events and winning was something really cool to me. As soon as I picked it up it was an addiction.

Captain El Franko! is my first real attempt at a comedy wrestler. I played a comedy duo of Chuck Taylor and Johnny Gargano in EMF to no avail, so why not a singles? I literally just started writing based around Mayhem and everything flew together like butter. I look forward to what I can do with him!

El Franko? Lots of sugar cereal, and coffee. As for a character I love, it usually just takes watching a really good movie I can relate too. Jimmy Jacobs, as Mr. MITB, I related too as if he was Tony Montana from Scarface. If I can get in the mindset of a character, I can write easy, no sweat. Cartoons and anything wacky is what I can see working for Franko.

Tune out all other distractions, look at my pic base, and just go to town talking like the character. It really depends, I have ADD and tend to leave things. So I try to force myself to get it done in a timely manner and I write throughout the week.
    Last edited by gurryman; 12-02-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Thread Information