Thread: FIFA 20 Career Mode: Ole! Ole! Ole!

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

FIFA 20 Career Mode: Ole! Ole! Ole!

Author Notes: Okay, so this is essentially going to be me playing FIFA 20. I have decided to make it a little creative though and have put myself in the shoes of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer with the task of getting Manchester United back to the top of world footballs elite.

I will be playing Career Mode on Legendary and have decided to disable the first transfer window for more realism and added difficulty of playing with United's thread bare and lacking squad where I'll be forced to play some players I don't really want too as well as the Youth. The only changes I have made is recalling Smalling & Sanchez on loan.

I had already started the season before deciding to bring this to the Non-Wrestling "BTB" section so will be a little more in-depth as we go along.

Manchester United Current Squad 2019-2020 Season.

Name Age OVR APP CS Goals Assists
    D. De Gea 28 89 11 3 0 0
    S. Romero 32 80 4 2 0 0
    L. Grant 36 72 0 0 0 0
    D. Mitchell 22 66 0 0 0 0
    B. Williams 19 63 0 0 0 0
    L. Shaw 24 81 11 3 0 1
    C. Smalling 29 80 10 3 0 0
    V. Lindelöf 25 81 6 1 0 0
    H. Maguire 26 82 11 3 0 1
    P. Jones 27 79 0 0 0 0
    M. Rojo 29 78 1 0 0 0
    E. Bailly 25 80 4 2 0 0
    A. Tuanzebe 21 74 4 2 0 0
    T. Fosu-Mensah 21 73 2 1 0 0
    E. Laird 18 64 0 0 0 0
    A. Young 34 77 5 3 0 1
    D. Dalot 20 75 6 2 0 0
    A. Wan-Bissaka 21 79 11 4 0 1
    N. Matic 31 81 6 3 0 0
    J. Garner 18 64 0 0 0 0
    S. McTominay 22 77 10 1 0 0
    T. Chong 19 65 3 0 0 0
    D. James 21 74 10 2 3 1
    P. Pogba (C) 26 88 12 4 4 2
    D. Levitt 18 63 0 0 0 0
    Fred 26 78 13 4 1 0
    A. Gomes 19 68 3 1 0 2
    J. Mata 31 82 1 0 0 0
    J. Lingard 26 81 10 2 0 2
    A. Pereira 23 77 10 2 0 0
    A. Sanchez 30 82 12 3 2 2
    A. Martial 23 83 12 6 7 2
    M. Greenwood 18 69 7 1 1 0
    M. Rashford 21 83 12 3 6 2

Season Starting Formations.

4-4-3

GK. DE GEA

RB. AWB - CB. SMALLING - CB. Maguire - LB. SHAW

DM. McTOMINAY

RCM. FRED - LCM. POGBA (C)

RW. SANCHEZ - CF. MARTIAL - LW. RASHFORD

…........................................

5-2-1-2

GK. DE GEA

RWB. AWB - RCB. SMALLING - CB. MAGUIRE - LCB. LINDELOF - LWB. SHAW

RCDM. McTOMINAY - LCDM. FRED

CAM. POGBA (C)

RF. RASHFORD - LF. MARTIAL

Fixtures & Results.

Home - Chelsea
    D 1-1

Away - Wolves
    W 3-2

Home - C. Palace
    W 2-0

Carabao Cup - Home - Luton
    D 0-0 (Lost on Pens, 5-4)

Away - Southampton
    D 1-1

Home - Leicester
    L 2-1

UEFA Europa League - Home - C. Brugge
    W 2-0

Away - West Ham
    D 0-0

Home - Arsenal
    W 2-1

UEFA Europa League - Away - AZ
    W 1-0

Away - Newcastle
    W 4-1

Home - Liverpool
    W 1-0

UEFA Europa League - Home - Monaco
    W 4-1

Away - Norwich
    L 2-0

Away - Bournemouth
    L 3-1

UP NEXT!

Premier League Table 2019-20.

Position 1-10 P W D L GF GA GD PTS
    1. Man City 11 8 3 0 24 7 17 27
    2. Liverpool 11 8 2 1 25 7 18 26
    3. Spurs 11 8 1 2 25 9 16 25
    4. Everton 11 8 1 2 16 6 10 25
    5. Chelsea 11 7 3 1 26 7 19 24
    6. Arsenal 11 5 3 3 16 11 5 18
    7. Man United 11 5 3 3 16 13 3 18
    8. West Ham 11 4 5 2 14 11 3 17
    9. Watford 11 5 2 4 15 16 -1 17
    10. Leicester City 11 4 2 5 12 17 -5 14

Last edited by Deco90; 11-11-2019 at 03:51 PM.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Re: FIFA 20 Career Mode: Ole! Ole! Ole!

Venue: Old Trafford.
    Referee: Martin Atkinson.
    Last Result: Liverpool 3-0 Leicester City & Newcastle 1-4 Man United.
    Key Men: Mane, Salah & Wijnaldum (Liverpool) & Rashford, Martial & Pogba (Man United)

Managers Pre-Match Press Conference.

OGS on the Maguire injury.

"Yes, Maguire is fine and will play tomorrow. He picked up a knock against Newcastle so we took him off, didn't take any chances and he's trained all week. He's fine and will play"

On the confidence of the squad after beating Newcastle 4-1

"Goals and victories breed confidence! It's the first game this season where we've took our chances! All our forwards scoring as well which was nice! I know a thing or two about scoring so it's great to see! One for Rashy, one for Martial and Alexis, and even one for young Mason off the bench! Hopefully we can kick on now and score a few more against Liverpool but it won't be easy I must say"

On Liverpool being unbeaten this season and can Man United be the team to beat them?.

"You know, Man United vs Liverpool is always special. Both teams come into this game in great form but form goes out of the window almost. They will feel confident and they're favourites but they're coming to Old Trafford- the fans will be right behind us and we're playing to win!"

On Mane coming into this game with 8 goals scored in 8 games and can he be stopped?.

"Well it won't be easy! Mane is a fantastic player- he's very quick and direct- but saying that- can they stop our players? I think we have to respect what they can do going forward but we also have to play our game which is going to be a test because Liverpool are a good team"

Last edited by Deco90; 11-10-2019 at 08:26 PM.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Game Day
    Live on Sky Sports 1
    17:00 - 9th of October

Team News.

GK. De Gea
    RB. Wan-Bissaka
    CB. Smalling
    CB. Maguire
    LB. Shaw
    DM. McTominay
    LCM. Pogba
    RCM. Fred
    RW. Sanchez
    CF. Martial
    LW. Rashford

GK. Alisson
    RB. Alexander-Arnold
    CB. Gomez
    CB. Matip
    LB. Robertson
    DM. Fabinho
    RCM. Henderson
    LCM. Wijnaldum
    RW. Salah
    False 9. Firmino
    LW. Mane
    RESULT:
    MAN UNITED 1-0 LIVERPOOL

64. Martial
    Henderson (Yellow, booked)
    Shaw (Yellow, booked)

Author Notes: I normally go more defensive in these kind of games and go with the 5-2-1-2 formation counter-attacking and putting in another CB with that being normally Lindelöf or Bailly. I've had a mixed bag with this formation though and while I beat Arsenal with it and got a draw against Chelsea opening game of the season, I was outplayed by Leicester and comfortably beating.

I decided to go 4-3-3 and I pretty much matched Liverpool tactically. I played a quick direct game and looked to get the ball forward and in behind their defence as quick as possible. I was surprised to see no Van Djik in their line up and he wasn't on the bench either so I can only assume he's injured? I went with a high press game and tried to take the game to Liverpool.

Though I won- I was holding on and they were the better team! I got my goal against the run of play- a really scrappy goal mouth finish by Martial and I shifted my tactics. I put my team to drop deeper and I defended narrow allowing them to get the ball wide and almost forcing them to cross- gambling that Smalling & Maguire would always beat Firmino in the air and they luckily did. Job done! By the end of the game all my players aside from the Keeper was red in stamina- they were knackered! A sacrifice worth while though getting the win over the rivals and giving them their first loss of the season! Hopefully we can push on up the league now! Next up it's the Europa League and a match against Monaco!

Last edited by Deco90; 11-10-2019 at 09:44 PM.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Game Day
    Live on BT Sport One
    19:45 - 13th of October

Team News.

GK. Lecomte
    CB. Maripan
    CB. Glik
    CB. Naldo
    DM. Bakayoko
    LCM. Golovin
    RCM. Silva
    LW. Onyekuru
    RW. Martins
    CF. Ben Yedder
    CF. Jovetic
    GK. Romero
    RB. Wan-Bissaka
    CB. Bailly
    CB. Maguire
    LB. Dalot
    DM. Matic
    LCM. Pogba
    RCM. Pereira
    LW. Sanchez
    RW. James
    CF. Martial
    RESULT:
    Monaco 1-4 Man United

Goal 22' Pogba (Dan James cross and Pogba header)
    Goal 34' Sanchez (Bad goalkeeping clearance and straight to Alexis)
    Goal 38' Martial (AWB through ball and Martial rounded the Keeper and slotted home to finish)
    Goal 45' Pogba (Dan James with another cross and Pogba finishes on the volley)

Half time 0-4

Sub 45' Slimani > Jovetic
    Sub 56' Fabregas > Silva
    Sub 56' Young > Wan-Bissaka
    Sub 70' Balde > Onyekuru
    Sub 70' Fred > Pogba
    Goal 85' Slimani (The Monaco sub makes an impact and scores a great volley from a Gelson Martins cross)
    Sub 85' Greenwood > Martial

90 +2 Full Time 1-4

MAN OF THE MATCH: Paul Pogba 9.4 Rating.

Authors Notes: This was a great win! I made a couple of changes and I was expecting a much tougher game but the width I played with killed them and they never stood a chance. Dan James was such a massive danger and came away with two assists while Pogba was excellent and finished the game with two goals. Disappointed to concede towards the end but the game was cruising on by, took my foot of the pedal and their goal was arguably the goal of the match- excellent strike! We're now 3 from 3 in the Europa League and going well. Attention now turns towards the Premier League once more with games against Norwich and Bournemouth to come!

Norwich 2-0 Man United

"Pukki puts pressure on United's top four finish with impressive finish!"

Booking 10' Aarons
    Booking 13' Fred
    Goal 19' Trybull 1-0

Half Time 1-0

Sub 56' Pukki > Drmic
    Goal 66' Pukki 2-0
    Sub 66' Young > Fosu-Mensah
    Sub 66' James > Fred

90' +2 Full Time 2-0

MAN OF THE MATCH: Trybull 8.6 Rating.

Authors Notes: This was a SHOCK! I was not expecting this result and they comfortably beat me in truth. I was playing so bad and I made a few changes because I was confident I would win this game! In came Fosu-Mensah at RB, I started with Tuanzebe & Lindelöf at CB, Lingard at RW and I gave a start to Mason Greenwood at CF and it backfired completely. A very poor result and now the game against Bournemouth is MUST WIN!

Bournemouth 3-1 Man United

"SMASH AND GRAB! Bournemouth's counter attack too much to handle with pressure increasing on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer"

Goal 7' Pogba 0-1
    Goal 10' Surman 1-1

Half Time 1-1

Sub 58' King > Solanke
    Sub 64' Wilson > Brooks
    Sub 64' Fred > Pereira
    Sub 64' James > Sanchez
    Goal 70' Wilson 2-1
    Sub 70' Lingard > McTominay
    Goal 86' King 3-1

90 +3 Full Time 3-1

MAN OF THE MATCH:
    Andrew Surman 8.4 Rating.

Authors Notes: Oh dear, oh dear! I played well and was the better team but their counter attack killed me. They have so much pace in their team with King, Callum Wilson and Ryan Fraser and they made use of those weapons and punished me. I went with my strongest team but perhaps I should have put Bailly or Tuanzebe alongside Smalling because Maguire was too slow and got caught out so many times. Pressure is on now and I'm pretty much replicating Man United in real life with some very inconsistent performances and I'm already looking towards January. Next up it's the Europa League with an away trip to Monaco to wrap up the group hopefully. Need a performance to ease the growing pressure and erase these two bad, bad defeats. We go again!
    Last edited by Deco90; 11-11-2019 at 03:24 PM.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Man United News & Rumors

Ole Out, Allegri In?

- After back to back Premier League defeats to Norwich & Southampton, and seemingly with any chance of a title challenge already fading in October it appears the United Board may turn to former Juventus and Italian coach- Allegri. Rumours are that should results continue to spiral Allegri would be willing to join Man United as long as the board keep Pogba and appoint a Director of Football with Patrice Evra a likely candidate.

Phil Jones to join Watford in January?

- Phil Jones has yet to feature for Man United this season and is way down the Man United pecking order with the likes of Marcus Rojo and even Youth prospect Axel Tuanzebe ahead of him. It's our understanding that Watford have made a bid of around 15 Million with the hopes of bringing the England international to Vicarage Road in January.

Jones is reluctant to leave United and is willing to fight for his place but we understand that United would be happy to accept the money and allow him to leave.

Nemanja Matic to leave United at the end of the season?

- Matic was recently offered a one year contract extension with his current deal set to expire at the end of this season. Matic has been vocal on social media with his unhappiness of no longer being a regular starter and being behind highly rated Scott McTominay. Despite this, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is keen for Matic to stay beyond this season believing that his experience can help the likes of James Garner and other younger talents coming through the club. Matic though is exploring other options with a departure to Italy in the summer likely.

United to strengthen in January?

- Word from the club is that the money is available should the right players be available and that's been echoed in recent times by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer himself in recent weeks. It's understood that Man United have identified three key areas where investment is needed. A Striker, A Right Winger and a Creative Playmaker to dictate the play and unlock those tight defences. Jadon Sancho is believed to be a top of the pile but it's hard to believe that Dortmund would be willing to sell in January and with no guaranteed Champions League football- It's uncertain if Sancho would even make the move. Bruno Fernandes is also linked and it's believed that he would be available for the right money.

A surprise name for the Striker role is teenage sensation Erling Braut Haaland from Red Bull Salzburg. Haaland, 19 and 6ft4 appears tailor made for the English game and with his father recently endorsing a move to the Premier League and the possibility of him joining Man United- The links are getting stronger.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

INSIDE UNITED

We caught up with Man United's mercurial number 9 on life at United currently, getting the number 9 shirt back and how it feels to be going back to Monaco!

On life at United currently and working under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer?

"He's helping me a lot. I'm playing a lot and so I am happy! We work in training, the manager he ask me to not always score beautiful goals but to score the scruffy goals and the tap ins because in the end what only matters is my goal tally at the end of the season and what we achieve as a team. I love to score lovely, beautiful goals but they will not matter if we don't achieve this season"

On Lukaku's departure and getting back the Number #9 shirt this season?

"I like Rom, a lot. Rom was a great player and we speak now and then, of course Rom speaks French so that makes it easier for me because my English still not that good. But now he's in Milan and I'm here in Manchester and I'm happy to have my #9 shirt back again. If you're #9 it means you're playing a lot and I want to play and score many goals for Manchester United"

On going back to Monaco and facing them in the Europa League?

"It will be nice of course! Monaco is a beautiful place and I miss a lot. But I am very happy here in Manchester, at United. Of course we already played them and I scored and I am happy we won. Going back will be nice, Monaco gave me my chance when I was a young boy- they signed me from Lyon and they put a lot of trust in me. I was happy in Monaco and I was happy to stay but of course I dream of coming to the Premier League and following in the footsteps of players like Henry. And when Manchester United they want you, it's very hard to say no, and so I say, okay I go. I am grateful to Monaco and hopefully they have a good season but I want to win this game!"

On if he will celebrate should he score?

"I score at home- in Old Trafford and I celebrate because of the joy, and our fans are cheering and they're singing my name and it's nice. I don't know if I do the same in Monaco but we will see. Maybe I don't play. But if I play- I will try and score!"

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Position 1-4 P W D L GF GA PTS
    1. Man United 3 3 0 0 7 1 9
    2. AS Monaco 3 2 0 1 6 6 6
    3. AZ 3 0 1 2 2 4 1
    4. Club Brugge 3 0 1 2 2 6 1

UEFA Europa League - Game Day
    Live on BT Sport One
    17:55 - 7th of November

Team News.

GK. Romero
    RWB. Dalot
    RCB. Tuanzebe
    CB. Bailly
    LCB. Lindelof
    LWB. Young
    RDM. McTominay
    LDM. Fred
    CAM. Lingard
    RF. Sanchez
    LF. Martial

GK. Lecomte
    CB. Maripan
    CB. Glik
    CB. Naldo
    DM. Bakayoko
    LCM. Golovin
    RCM. Silva
    LW. Onyekuru
    RW. Martins
    CF. Ben Yedder
    CF. Jovetic

RESULT:
    Man United 1-1 Monaco

Half Time 0-0

Goal 54' Jovetic
    Sub 63' Rashford > Martial
    Sub 63' Pereira > Fred
    Sub 63' Slimani > Jovetic
    Booking 72' Naldo
    Sub 72' James > Young
    Goal 88' Rashford (Dan James cut back and tap in)

90' +1 Full Time 1-1

MAN OF THE MATCH: Jovetic 8.2 Rating.

Authors Notes: I would have liked to have won the game and I should have really but I'll take the draw. Made a couple of changes and rested a few players for the Premier League games to come. Really wanted to score with Martial after the article but it wasn't to be Haha!
    Last edited by Deco90; 11-14-2019 at 07:25 PM.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Man United vs Brighton - Managers Press Conference.

On the back to back defeats to Norwich & Bournemouth, as well as Man United's current league form?

"Not good enough! We were in good form after the Liverpool victory and the confidence was good. I think against Norwich it was just a bad day at the office and full credit to Norwich- they were excellent and deserved their win. Bournemouth I think we played really well and we were a little unlucky! We didn't take our chances and they punished us. In the Premier League if you don't take your chances you're going to be punished and we need to improve and be more clinical"

On the rumours of the Watford bid for Phil Jones?

"Yes, they're true! I've spoke with Jonah and he needs to play games. We've accepted the bid and it's now completely up to him and Watford. If he wants go, he will leave with our blessing because Jonah is a great lad and he needs to play games. I think it's close and they're finalizing the details but my job is to prepare the team for the upcoming fixtures and that's what I will do! Jonah will not be considered though he's trained really well I must say. He will be with us till at least January and he's our player right now"

On Man United's struggle for goals?

"We have a young team and with a young team you will get inconsistency. We're aware of this and I trust in my players to come good. Rashy and Tony are world class on their day, and we've got young Mason that will get his chance too! We will go till January and then in January we will assess the situation and if we feel we need to sign another striker to help with our young forwards then we will if the deal is right and it's a player that we feel fits with the philosophy of the club"

On the upcoming games against Brighton & Sheffield United?

"We need results, and we will be playing to win! I've spoke with the team, and they know it themselves, Man United are a club that bounces back and we need to bounce back and look to take all six points to stay in touch with the top and the Champions League places of course. We've trained well all week. No injuries or suspensions so we're ready!"

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Man United 5-1 Brighton

ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK!

"Pogba turns on the class to power home rampant United victory!"

Goal 6' Pogba 1-0 (Dan James cross and Pogba heads home)
    Goal 41' Pogba 2-0 (Rashy dink cross and Pogba volley inside the box)

Half Time 2-0

Goal 54' Martial 3-0 (Quick one-two pass with Pogba and Martial slots home)
    Goal 58' Propper 3-1
    Sub 58' Gomes > Pereira
    Sub 58' Matic > Fosu-Mensah
    Goal 66' Rashford 4-1 (Martial flick on and Rash side finish)
    Sub 67' Chong > Martial
    Goal 88' Rashford 5-1 (Matic side pass and Rash finishes from a tight angle)

90' +2 Full Time 5-1

MAN OF THE MATCH: Pogba 9.6 Rating

Authors Notes: Much better! Needed to win this game and need to win a couple more to stay in touch with the Champions League chasing rivals. Played really well in this game and it was comfortable. Annoyed to have conceded but aside from that, all good. Even got the chance to bring on some youth players too! We go again!

Sheffield United 0-3 Man United

MARTIAL & RASHFORD SHOW!

"United's RED hot duo too hot to handle as United cruise to victory!"

Goal 26' Rashford 0-1 (Strike from outside the box into the bottom corner)
    Booking 33' Smalling
    Goal 41' Martial 0-2 (In-Swinging cross from Rashford and Martial glances the header home)
    Goal 45' Martial 0-3 (Dan James cut back and Martial tap in finish)

Half Time 0-3

Sub 55' Robinson > Clarke
    Sub 66' Lingard > Gomes
    Sub 66' Dalot > Wan-Bissaka
    Sub 74' Greenwood > Martial

90' +1 Full Time 0-3

MAN OF THE MATCH: Martial 9.5 Rating

Authors Notes: Sheffield are the lowest scoring team in the league so I figured as long as I scored first- I'd win this game! They pretty much sat back and defended which I expected they would and so it was key to get the first early goal and completely ruin their game plan. Delighted that Martial & Rashford have picked up some scoring form and I started with a few young players like Gomes & Tuanzebe for this one which was good. Pleasing victory and I'm hoping we can go on a good run of victories now and move up the table! Come on United! :D

Thread Information