Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2019-20 MLB Offseason Thread

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: 2019-20 MLB Offseason Thread

Trevor Bauer telling a batter which pitches he was going to throw, then he still got him out. Legendary stuff

Bryant and Rizzo mic’d up had some great moments. Specifically Anthony suggesting for someone to bang on something so he knows when the fastball is coming.

War Eagle

Status

I'm curious to see how Houston manages to handle this throughout the whole of the season. It's one thing to keep your head down and play ball during the early stages of Spring Training. What happens during the middle of the season, the quote-unquote dog days and they go on a losing streak. They'll be ripe for the trolls to pick at and I feel that's when tensions could rise to their peaks.

Saw where Bryant had an interview and he said that Houston definitely wasn't the only team stealing signs. In before epic Bryant heel turn and he claims the Cubs did as well

Status

Listening to Ozzie Albies mic’d up yesterday was cool. Among other things, he explained that he only wears chains for his diseased father and girlfriend. I always question a player wearing chains. Something like that would annoy me.

TUFF

Status

So Judge has a rib injury and is likely to miss some time. Who knows how much time. It sucks because everyone is puzzled as to why this is happening to Judge. I gotta think that Judge was feeling something but didn't disclose it to team doctors and played through it. Now, it's too painful to ignore and now, it looks like he's gonna miss some time. Even if Judge does miss some time, we'll be okay as Sanchez and Torres are still around to provide the power we need plus DJ freakin' LeMachine. But still, if we can make it easier on our lineup, we should. Hope he gets the answers to these injuries.

So the Red Sox are gonna go with Roenicke as their manager? I like this choice as they need veteran leadership after all the stuff that happened with Alex Cora.

Tough times don't last, tough people do.

God's Gift to God

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTiger View Post
    Listening to Ozzie Albies mic’d up yesterday was cool. Among other things, he explained that he only wears chains for his diseased father and girlfriend. I always question a player wearing chains. Something like that would annoy me.
    All the mic'd up stuff has been great. If they found a way to incorporate this into the regular season more it could be amazing and draw more eyes to baseball. There is zero personality in the game and this type of stuff is great.

Status

Trey Mancini has left the Orioles to undergo some kind of emergency medical procedure. Out of respect for his privacy, they aren’t saying specifically what’s wrong.
    This is terrible so close to the start of the season. One of the nicest guys ever, and easily one our best players.

Also, the O’s picked up Hector Velazquez from Boston.

Status

The rest of Spring training has been cancelled, and the start of the regular season has been pushed back 2 weeks at this point because of the corona virus. I understand why, but man am I bummed out about this.

Also, it was finally revealed that Trey Mancini had a malignant tumor removed from his colon. At the moment, they don’t have an estimated recovery time. With opening day being pushed back, hopefully he won’t miss that much playing time.

Status

Thoughts on the proposal to restart the season? 82 games, universal DH.

But the big question is if the players and owners can agree with the money issues. It would be crazy if they squabble to the point where they blow this whole thing.

It's either have a season and make some money, or don't us be a season and make no money.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Thoughts on the proposal to restart the season? 82 games, universal DH.

But the big question is if the players and owners can agree with the money issues. It would be crazy if they squabble to the point where they blow this whole thing.

It's either have a season and make some money, or don't us be a season and make no money.
    Growing up in Canada, I split time between the Jays in the AL and the Expos (and Cards from the radio) in the NL. I've always had a soft spot for the pitcher batting, as I feel it brings a lot more strategy to the game. That being said, I doubt the MLBPA is going to have an issue adopting the universal DH policy, simply for the fact that it could provide certain players (Cespedes immediately comes to mind) with extra longevity. The only issue I see with it is pitchers in the NL being held less accountable for going a little too inside or hitting guys.

As for the money thing, eh, it's going to be a shit show. The owners pitched a deal that's not as beneficial to the players so that they won't look like the bad guys when it's rejected, which I assume it will be. The question is whether they can negotiate the numbers fast enough to get things started on their July 4th target date. I'm not so sure, but I'd be happy to see some form of baseball on television, provided they can somehow ensure the safety of the players. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

EDIT: As a first time Jays season ticket holder, after years of grovelling for what are three of the best possible seats in the house, I'm pretty bummed I won't get to use them this year. That being said, the organization has been nothing but gracious in dealing with it, and I hope that anyone else that has/had tickets to games is getting the same level of care and service that's been afforded to me thus far.
    Last edited by Fuji Vice; 05-14-2020 at 01:20 AM.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Status

I am pretty indifferent on the DH argument. Like you I enjoy the strategy that comes to having a pitcher bat. When do you pull your pitcher in favor for a pinch hitter for example?

But, more importantly I think both leagues should have the same rules. I don't like how baseball treats them like two different things instead of how other sports treat their conferences. Imagine if in the NFL, the AFC had a rule where you had to go for 2pts every time, but the NFC could kick field goals. It'd be inconsistent and stupid. Not sure if that's a relevant analogy but hope it makes a point.

I'd like to see baseball transition into more of the style that the other three big sports use. Conferences aren't totally different worlds from each other. More interleague play, more consistent rules.

Also super cool you have season tickets. Not sure if I'd be interested in season tickets at PNC. One game a year on bobblehead day is good for me. But, I'd love season tickets for the Steelers. Too bad the wait list is about 500 years long.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

But, more importantly I think both leagues should have the same rules. I don't like how baseball treats them like two different things instead of how other sports treat their conferences. Imagine if in the NFL, the AFC had a rule where you had to go for 2pts every time, but the NFC could kick field goals. It'd be inconsistent and stupid. Not sure if that's a relevant analogy but hope it makes a point.
    Baseball has always gone against the grain in what I'd term as logical rules. The field dimensions are all different, the league rules are different, hell, it's the only sport (thanks George Carlin) where the manager wears the same clothes as his players. Any attempt to change should initially be seen as positive, though I hate the circumstances for obvious reasons.

I'd like to see baseball transition into more of the style that the other three big sports use. Conferences aren't totally different worlds from each other. More interleague play, more consistent rules.
    I'm going to ask Mike to chime in on this if he's reading, but in the meantime I'll say I advocate less inter play. I've just never been a big fan of the system, as I feel it cheapens the World Series to a certain extent. That's probably just me being old, but I'll defer to the Suntan's thoughts if he feels like sharing them.

Also super cool you have season tickets. Not sure if I'd be interested in season tickets at PNC. One game a year on bobblehead day is good for me. But, I'd love season tickets for the Steelers. Too bad the wait list is about 500 years long.
    Look at this view and tell me you wouldn't go all in if you could...

Near perfect seating and the folks around are all old school, Grandfathered in dudes, their kids, or hardcore fans. Nothing better than that.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Status

Damn!

I went to a game in the Lexus Club one time at PNC. High class buffet before the game, all you can eat free food delivered to your leather seats during the game. Right behind home plate. It was amazing.

Those seats look just as good. Having them once in a life time is a treat, but as season tickets? High quality right there to get to root for Bo Bichette so close.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I mean, I love baseball traditions, I love where they came from. Hell it tickles me still to know that the NL and AL were still completely separate legally until 2000! That said, the times they have changed, and I do think Baseball would be better off moving towards a more uniform system across all leagues. I am also vehemently against pitchers hitting, mostly because with commercials, I don't require another pee break in a game. If a pitcher, like Shohei Otani, or Baumgarner wants to hit, I think THAT should still be acceptable, but then you do lose the "DH" spot for the remainder of that game, but if Blake Snell moves to the National League and doesn't want to hit, please god don't make me watch that.

All that said, I think the only other route to go, is to completely back of the integration of the two leagues and go back to AL vs NL only play each other in the All-star Game and the World Series.

Global Saturation

Status

Look at this view and tell me you wouldn't go all in if you could...

Near perfect seating and the folks around are all old school, Grandfathered in dudes, their kids, or hardcore fans. Nothing better than that.
    That picture gave me goosebumps.. makes me wish I could still go to Red Sox Games at Fenway with my grandpa.. damn.
    Last edited by Fuji Vice; 06-02-2020 at 07:19 AM.
    It’s a weapon. It’s really powerful, especially against living things.

Puts the extra "p" in Nappa Valley since Day 1.

Status

Baseball is officially back, after months of arguing both sides have settled on a 60 game season.

I really thought we weren't having a season for a minute there.

TUFF

Status

Baseball is officially back, after months of arguing both sides have settled on a 60 game season.

I really thought we weren't having a season for a minute there.
    Yay! I'm actually surprised we're getting baseball back. I just hope all plans concerning health concerns will be in place. Also guessing that there will be a good amount of players who'll sit out the season.

EDIT: As I say this, reports are coming out that three Rockies players have tested positive. Yikes.
    Last edited by Jam; 06-24-2020 at 12:39 AM.

Tough times don't last, tough people do.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information