Thread: Impact Wrestling on AXS TV Discussion

Status
      Country                    United States

Impact Wrestling Impact Wrestling on AXS TV Discussion

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ladies and gentlemen!

IIIIIIIIIIIIT'S TIME!!

This is the week when Impact Wrestling finally makes its much anticipated jump to AXS TV. The show will now be airing Tuesday nights on AXS TV at 8/7c. AXS has been airing Impact stuff every Tuesday for the last month building up the jump and now the actual weekly show is here, signaling a new and promising era in the turbulent history of Impact Wrestling.

Over the last few years, Impact has been working diligently to rebuild their brand, stabilize their roster and win back the masses. It's been a tough climb back from all the Billy Corgan/GFW insanity but we're here. Thanks to Anthem's acquisition of a majority stake in AXS, Impact is finally back on a truly major network in North America and even better than that: there's reason to believe they might actually be on this network to stay this time around!

So here's a brand new thread to mark this exciting occasion. Who will be checking in to see what Impact Wrestling and our good friends Tessa Blanchard, Sami Callihan, Brian Cage, Michael Elgin and the rest of the Impact roster cook up on AXS TV? I'll probably actually be watching the debut live so if anyone else has interest, let me know and we can have a fun little live discussion like the olden days!

Status

Re: Impact Wrestling on AXS TV Discussion

Impact Wrestling Preview
    October 29, 2019

The rematch is set: Caga vs. Callihan Part 2

The rematch is set between Brian Cage and Sami Callihan and this time the rivals will be locked inside a Steel Cage. Only one man can leave as World Champion. The AXS Era of IMPACT Wrestling begins with a bang on Tuesday night when these two men clash.

Brian Cage thought he was done with Sami Callihan, speaking to Josh Mathews and Scott D’Amore on This is IMPACT about vanquishing Callihan. Sami showed up with a plan.

After that, what choice did Cage have? Now he has to step into a Steel Cage with a madman. However, after what we saw from Cage at Bound For Glory, how far is he willing to go on Tuesday? How will this rivalry end on the IMPACT Premiere Tuesday at 8pET?

RVD needs to explain...

This Tuesday on the first IMPACT on AXS TV we will witness Josh Alexander vs. Marufuji. Alexander is one half of the World Tag Team Champions, but will have to go at it alone vs. Marufuji on Tuesday!

Both men are coming off of matches at Bound For Glory, as the North retained their World Tag Team Titles against two teams and Marufuji went to war with Michael Elgin.

The saga continues between Ace Austin and Eddie Edwards

Ace Austin has really evolved since coming to IMPACT Wrestling. Not only did Ace win the X-Division Championship at Bound For Glory in a thrilling Ladder Match, but now Ace is some sort of movie star?

This coming Tuesday night on the Premiere of IMPACT Wrestling on AXS TV, Ace Austin will face his rival Eddie Edwards in a one on one match. The same Eddie Edwards that Ace has been tormenting for months, the same Eddie Edwards who is married to Alisha Edwards, who Ace is trying to sleep with at any cost.

Can Ace continue to trend in the right direction? Find out on Tuesday on a brand new IMPACT on a brand new network.

Alexander vs. Marufuji

This Tuesday on the first IMPACT on AXS TV we will witness Josh Alexander vs. Marufuji. Alexander is one half of the World Tag Team Champions, but will have to go at it alone vs. Marufuji on Tuesday!

Both men are coming off of matches at Bound For Glory, as the North retained their World Tag Team Titles against two teams and Marufuji went to war with Michael Elgin.

The future of Ken Shamrock

At Bound For Glory in Chicago this past Sunday night, Ken Shamrock did everything except win. Shamrock flew out of the ring, delivered amazing moves and turned back father time in a grueling encounter with Moose. The only thing Shamrock didn’t do was win the match.

Now, this Tuesday on IMPACT Wrestling on AXS TV, Ken Shamrock will address his future.

Impact is finally making its way to AXS! I'm looking forward to this new era of Impact and I'm really hopeful that things go well for the company. I am PRAYING for Callihan to win this cage match and take the title.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Speaking of IMPACT, has anyone else heard about Throwback Throwdown? It's a show that was taped last Sunday in Ontario that's set to air on November 26th and I'll go on record as saying that THIS may be the one thing that gets me to watch an episode. It sounds amazing, kind of like WWE's Southpaw Regional Wrestling, except an actual show.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Tom Hanks Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Speaking of IMPACT, has anyone else heard about Throwback Throwdown? It's a show that was taped last Sunday in Ontario that's set to air on November 26th and I'll go on record as saying that THIS may be the one thing that gets me to watch an episode. It sounds amazing, kind of like WWE's Southpaw Regional Wrestling, except an actual show.
    I've heard nothing of it until now but it seems promising.

The only bit of cruel irony is that guys like Rhino, RVD, Tommy Dreamer, Ken Shamrock and even Johnny f'n Swinger are legitimately major parts of their normal show, what do they need to do a throwback special for?

Status

Alrighty so week one of Impact on AXS TV is in the books and there was plenty of good stuff going on.

First off, the new opening video looked fantastic. Looks like they got a new set as well. Slight upgrade. Not sure if I like the red color scheme compared to the blue they were using before. The blue ropes and lighting gave it a more futuristic vibe somehow. The red color scheme has things looking more classic, and there's definitely less pop to it. But I think a part of that might actually be the subpar lighting in the arena. Curious to see if it looks different in other venues or not.

Marufuji vs. Josh Alexander was a solid opening match. It wasn't like edge of your seat action but it was some great striking and some great counters by these two. After his showing at BFG and this week on Impact, I am curious to know how Marufuji is viewed in the puro world these days because there was a time when I thought of him as one of the best talents in the world, but my impression is that his best days are behind him now. Of course, I have to consider he wrestled an inconsistent Michael Elgin and a pretty average wrestler in Josh Alexander. Might not be fair to judge him based off that. And then again, even the best wrestlers have their share of 2.5 or 3 star matches. Anyways…

I really don't know WHAT THE FUCK that Rascalz and Bahh segment was but it was actually, truly funny to me. I've never liked Bahh that much but he starred here. Rascalz are always great. I appreciate that Impact isn't afraid to just openly have some stoner characters.

Jordynne Grace scoring the pin on Taya Valkyrie in the six-woman tag match was actually a pleasant surprise and a positive outcome for me since I would much rather have her contending for the title than Tenille Dashwood. Great gem on commentary in this match as they're talking about Madison Rayne…

Don: Madison likes to boss people, have you noticed that?

Josh: Well yeah, she calls herself the locker room leader.

Don: Bet she keeps her boyfriend or husband in line.

Josh: Yeah, I'd hate to be that guy!

Rob Van Dam cuts a promo saying that without him there'd be no Kenny Omega, Daniel Bryan or Young Bucks...

Wow. I genuinely don't think he had anything to do with influencing or paving the way for any of those guys. Certainly didn't play as big of a role as guys like Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero or Chris Benoit. Delusion aside, I like this gives no fucks attitude he's displaying after turning heel at BFG. Solid promo.

I'm thankful that Mack and Swann got the win over Desi Hit Squad. A feud between those two and The North for the titles sounds like something I can get into. I have no love for The Desi Hit Squad tbh. I just can't get into them.

Ugh. Moose. While I'm pretty indifferent to The Desi Hit Squad, I think I actively dislike Moose. I just feel like he can't play his gimmick effectively. It requires way too much talking for a guy who is not that skilled at it. This segment just wreaked to me.

A confrontation between Ken Shamrock and Joey Ryan? Aye. Who is this for? Like really. Who is going to see Ken Shamrock and Joey Ryan in a ring together and say "now I'm interested"? Despite that, the back and forth was pretty well executed. It doesn't change the fact that this match sounds like complete ass unfortunately.

Moving on we have the new X Division Champion Ace Austin continuing the feud with Call Your Shot winner Eddie Edwards in a non-title street fight. I will never not be upset that Edwards has become this boring ass Tommy Dreamer tribute act. I still have love for the guy but man… I want better for him. As for Ace, I see money in the guy for sure. I would be surprised if he isn't Impact World Champion at some point, assuming he sticks around and doesn't get swiped up by a bigger company. This match was alright but it was just basic hardcore mess and nothing special, particularly by 2019 standards. Post-match we got some storyline progression, Alisha agreeing to have dinner with Ace. Very intriguing.

So Su Yung is back in the fray but it seems like she's now snapped out of her zombified state and has no memory of all the undead stuff? Definitely an interesting new development. I missed a ton of the Undead Realm/Su Yung/Rosemary nonsense so I'm pretty out of the loop on what exactly is going on but I think I know enough about it that I can pick up on it now and I'm kind of looking forward to seeing where they go with it.

And the main event, Callihan and Cage in a cage match for the Impact World Championship. I feel it was a pretty underwhelming match if I'm being totally honest. The BFG match was better and I think Callihan winning the title here, rather than at BFG, made it feel more anticlimactic. Besides that circumstantial stuff, I just didn't think the match itself was all that well worked. It was pretty repetitive stuff and yeah, I know Brian Cage is "The Machine" but four Cactus Special piledrivers and then another off the middle rope to win the match is just overkill. To me, the highlight of the whole match was Brian Cage climbing into the cage like a fucking animal. It's a good thing Tessa came out after the match to have the staredown with Sami. That helped make things feel a bit more special and was a great way to punctuate this first week of the AXS TV era. I'm stoked Callihan finally got the title and now we can move towards the culmination of this Blanchard vs. oVe feud which I'm hoping ends with Tessa as World Champion.

I have to say I'm glad I've come back to Impact Wrestling now. Been watching it consistently for a little over a month now and I feel I've gotten everything I could have hoped for out of it. It's absolutely rough around the edges but the company has a charm to it that you don't get from WWE or AEW. Add to that the fact that there's a great match or two each week on TV, an exciting roster and some really refreshing storylines and characters and you've got an enjoyable wrestling product. Also want to mention that the crowd for this show is the best there's been in a while. It's so much better watching this show with a crowd that gives a damn. This new era is promising and if things continue to go how they did this week, I'll have no problem committing 90 minutes a week to this show. Looking forward to next week. The matches announced so far aren't super enticing on paper but I already know there's gonna be fireworks with Eddie, Alisha and Ace Austin and no doubt something crazy is in store for the first week of Sami's reign as Impact World Champion. I can't wait!

Deprimido

Status

My PVR didn't register the new day and by the time I realized it was on my tv it was mostly over. Got the replay recording Friday but for now...

Caught the Austin Edwards match, was pretty awesome but they really need to wrap this storyline up. Feels like it's been going forever.

The stuff with Su Yung being normal has potential, I'll definitely be watching to see what happens with that story.

Cage versus Callihan was a good end to the night, it's a lot later than I expected it to happen, figured it would have happened after the Edwards and Pentagon stuff awhile back, but im so glad that Callihan finally won the championship.

Hope Cage gets another run with the Championship once he's got everything healed up and doesn't have to miss half his run.

Tessa coming for the main Championship in Impact makes me very, very happy.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

Some of the stuff sounds really cool and I try to catch some highlights, but god damn their camera work is so bad.

Backyarder

Status

This was my first time watching TNA in about 8 years? Decided to give Impact a shot. Holy smokes, I was blown away. The way they showed recaps and segments, it made me feel like I never stopped watching, the episode really pulled me in. I only know a handful of Impact talent like Brian Cage, Sami Callihan, of course RVD and Tessa Blanchard, my favorite women's wrestler. Main even was one of my matches of the week. I was so impressed with the debut show on AXS, I will now watch weekly.

PROVERBS 3:5-6

Status

Quote Originally Posted by boomkattack View Post
    This was my first time watching TNA in about 8 years? Decided to give Impact a shot. Holy smokes, I was blown away. The way they showed recaps and segments, it made me feel like I never stopped watching, the episode really pulled me in. I only know a handful of Impact talent like Brian Cage, Sami Callihan, of course RVD and Tessa Blanchard, my favorite women's wrestler. Main even was one of my matches of the week. I was so impressed with the debut show on AXS, I will now watch weekly.
    That's the spirit!

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

I'd like to give TNA another go, they've been doing some good stuff for a while now.

There's just too much wrestling to commit to watching it weekley though unfortunately. I'll have to just catch the highlights or watch what creates a buzz, maybe.

Good luck to them!

"LET ME IN.."

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

The Tessa v oVe feud hitting the final stretch is going to be so damn good.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    The Tessa v oVe feud hitting the final stretch is going to be so damn good.
    It's gonna be so sweet to see Tessa finally win the damn World Championship.

Fearless University

Status

I think we've all said it but one big thing Impact needs to leave in the past is the ECW reunions. Its 2019 there's no need to keep bringing these guys back all the time for little runs in the company.

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    It's gonna be so sweet to see Tessa finally win the damn World Championship.
    Its genuinely going to be a very special moment when/if she wins the World Championship. And I don't think anyone can argue against her doing so. She's delivered in every aspect of this push up the card working with men, she carries herself like a Star, and works aggressive enough in every way to make it work and make it believable.

Status

Impact Wrestling Preview
    November 5, 2019

#ANDNew World Champion... Sami Callihan

There is a new Champion in IMPACT Wrestling and the world will never be the same again. Sami Callihan is World Champion.

Moose vs. Willie Mack on Impact!

Don’t miss this match on Tuesday! Moose vs. Willie Mack goes down on Tuesday night on IMPACT Wrestling on AXS when these men clash!

Who will secure the victory on this night?

The World's Most Dangerous...

This week we ask the question who is more dangerous? Ken Shamrock or Joey Ryan? It is the World’s Most Dangerous Man vs. the World’s Most Dangerous Manhood.

What is going to happen when these two men clash? Find out on Tuesday. This one is going to be epic!

There will be a heavyweight collision on Tuesday night when Michael Elgin and Fallah Bahh go one on one. The AXS TV Era is underway with an incredible match featuring two of the biggest athletes on IMPACT Wrestling.

What will happen when these two beasts clash on Tuesday night? Find out on a brand new IMPACT Wrestling on AXS TV.

Status

Another episode in the books. We had a bit of a dip in quality this week I felt, but there was still a good bit of positives to take away from this episode.

I have to say - starting the show with a Moose match is definitely not the way to get my interest. I've said it enough times now but he just isn't that special. He's a bore in the ring, he's a bore on the mic. If it was me, Willie Mack is a guy I'd be getting behind as an upper midcard/main event guy, but instead he gets fed to Moose here. Shame.

I really love how Impact directs segments. It's weird for a wrestling program but I'm fond of it personally. And on that same note, I love how Impact is booking Ace and his storyline with Alisha Edwards. This young punk telling his buddies he's been nailing a chick he actually hasn't been is very appropriate for him and, honestly, pretty realistic for his character. So Alisha overhears him saying all this to Reno Scum and of course it foreshadows some vengeance coming later in the night. Sure enough a few segments later, Alisha gives Ace the key to her hotel room. Yeah, that's a set up. Ace makes it to the hotel where Alisha tells him to get naked and put on a blindfold. Wanna guess what happens next? THEY PLOW!

No, of course not. Eddie Edwards is there and he and Alisha chase Ace out of the hotel with a kendo stick. And apparently, that's just what their marriage needed because they then start making out on the floor in the hotel hallway. There's someone standing down at the end of the hall during the whole segment and I just want to know if he was an extra or just some actual bystander wondering what the fuck was going on in this hotel lol.

Anyhow...

Hard to beat a good hoss battle which is what we got with Elgin vs. Bahh. Although Bahh is still limited in the ring, he can give you hard strikes which is all he really needed to do here. Elgin looked fantastic hitting multiple suplexes and lifting Bahh up into a fireman's carry. A few weird moments on commentary though. Josh asked Don like a hundred questions throughout for some reason. "How tall do you think these guys are?", "How much can Elgin bench?", "Will Elgin become World Champion?", "Can Bahh win this match?"... so on and so forth. And then they bring up NJPW being on AXS TV and say Elgin chose to leave there because he was tired of waiting for a title shot in the Japan system, so he made the jump over to Impact and decided to take what he wanted. So basically, it's easier to get a title shot in Impact than in NJPW? Is that supposed to be a good thing? I didn't get that. Anyways, a great match for TV that puts both guys over, though it's Elgin that ultimately wins with the Crippler Crossface.

So The North cut another really solid promo and call out Marufuj to find a partner to challenge them for the Tag Team Championship next week. I was really curious to see who it would be, but figured it would be someone from within Impact, rather than another puro guy. And sure enough it's announced later that his partner will be Eddie Edwards. I know Eddie is a former GHC Heavyweight Champion but that was a totally different Eddie Edwards. Kind of an underwhelming choice tbh but The North vs. Marufuji and Edwards for the Tag Team Championship sounds like a solid enough match for next week's Impact.

Big fan reaction for Joey Ryan vs. Ken Shamrock to my shock. Like, people were chanting for both of them. Even before they did anything. Shamrock got on the second rope and hyped out the crowd and they got fucking loud. I just… didn't see it coming. At all. Now, one thing that did go as expected was the match being mediocre as hell. I don't want to say it was bad, but it wasn't good. Shamrock got dick flipped and them immediately submitted Ryan so hopefully that's the end of this little storyline. Though I feel like there's a good chance of Shamrock and Ryan forming an unlikely alliance out of this.

Taya got herself into a match with Madison Rayne. It was pretty back and forth, and Taya ultimately had to cheat to get the win. Of course she was never losing this thing after taking a pin last week in that six man. The real story of the whole thing was Jordynne Grace coming out and continuing to apply the pressure to Taya and signaling that she's coming for Taya's belt. That's good stuff, imo. Jordynne is looking like the future of this division right now.

I just don't care about the Desi Hit Squad. This storyline they're kicking off with Gama bringing in Bhupinder Singh as his new protege and telling Rohit and Raj that they'll lose their spot if he outperforms them is something, I guess. But yeah, just don't see myself ever getting into this act. Especially since Bhupinder lost his first fucking match here against Petey Williams. Honestly, what am I supposed to see in this faction? They aren't good wrestlers, they aren't good characters, they don't do comedy, they aren't dominant or fearsome. It's literally a group of bad, boring losers.

Still liking the looks of this new Su Yung angle though. They're taking things nice and slow so far. Can't complain.

And we cap off the night with Tommy Dreamer of all people coming out to confront Sami Callihan. Holy shit. Please make it stop. He cuts a very basic face promo where he says "You know who's the draw? These people!" while pointing at the crowd. What the fuck does that mean? That makes no sense and is probably the furthest thing from the truth. Anyways he rallies the troops, and by troops I mean Tessa, Rich Swann and Daga (thankfully it wasn't Rhino, Sabu and Sandman) and we have ourselves and impromptu 4 on 4 extreme rules match. Honestly the only parts of this match that mattered were the parts where Tessa got her hands on Sami and the finish which was Swann pinning Sami with a roll up. Which means he will presumably get a title shot in the near future, right? That's cool but they did the same thing last week where Jordynne pulled Taya in a multi person tag match so it was honestly too soon to go back to that well. Kind of a dry finish to Impact with the faces standing tall and oVe furious. Eh.

Felt like the first half of this episode was really strong but it fell off pretty dramatically as it went on, I'd say. The big ups for me were Elgin vs. Bahh, the Ace Austin/Alisha Edwards segments and the continuation of this Su Yung storyline. Besides that, I could have really lived without the rest. Next week has some promise though as we will get The North vs. Marufuji and Edwards and with Turning Point taking place this Saturday, we're sure to have some interesting fallout from that.

Fearless University

Status

Was a weird episode for sure. Overall felt like a low point.

The middle was solid, that Shamrock - Ryan segment went over far better than it had any right too.

I'm the same camp that doesn't see anything special in Moose.

The Main Event was so odd. Like last week we had Tessa confront Sami after he won the World Title. This week for some reason Tommy Dreamer is leading the charge and cutting one of the all time worst babyface promos putting together this rag tag, random group where Tessa's involvement was the only thing that mattered, but she was also just kind of there, as opposed to being the reason for the segment. Swann getting the win was a weird call too when the money is in keeping all the focus on Sami vs Tessa.

Deprimido

Status

Loved the stuff with "The Triple" X Division Champion Ace. As stupid as it was he played his part well and I was waiting the whole night for the payoff with Eddie being in the room.

Rest of the night was just there, it's weird that they reference the card for Turning Point but don't have any build to it. I get that it's basically a house show, but it seems like it's the only rematch Cage is getting in the foreseeable future, woulda liked him to say something about it.

Swann pinning Callihan had me wanting to smash my tv though. Guy won the title last week, should have at least let Jake or Dave eat the pin if OVE really had to lose.

Fearless University

Status

Quote Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
    Loved the stuff with "The Triple" X Division Champion Ace. As stupid as it was he played his part well and I was waiting the whole night for the payoff with Eddie being in the room.

Rest of the night was just there, it's weird that they reference the card for Turning Point but don't have any build to it. I get that it's basically a house show, but it seems like it's the only rematch Cage is getting in the foreseeable future, woulda liked him to say something about it.

Swann pinning Callihan had me wanting to smash my tv though. Guy won the title last week, should have at least let Jake or Dave eat the pin if OVE really had to lose.
    I really dont understand why wrestling bookers have completely forgotten how stables are meant to work. We see it all the time, especially in WWE where there's a heel stable, and the leader of the group is the one taking pins in matches all the time. Why is Sami Callihan a week removed from becoming World Champion losing to Rich Swann when one of the Crist's should have taken the pinfall.

Thread Information