Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Myles' new shirt

People's Champion

Status

Jordan Myles' new shirt

Im sure most have seen his reaction to his shirt and how its insentive etc. What are everyones thoughts?

Wwe responded to this and suggested he approved it
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Young Gunz

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Jordan Miles new shirt

I've seen a ton of responses from people stating that they did not see the racism/racist tones behind the shirt and a lot of those people happened to not be people of color (POC). There were some POC that felt the shirt wasn't racist but the vast majority of POC commenting on the shirt definitely saw what Myles was speaking out on. As a POC myself, I immediately zoomed in and made inference to what was to me a caricature of blackface from the menstrual shows of the past. I applaud Myles for pointing this out and saying that it wasn't okay. I do have responses to arguments that have been made against the claim of racist undertones concerning the shirt.

1. I didn't see it and think racism because I'm not always out looking for racism.
    - For POC we're not always out looking for racism, we just notice it much sooner than our non POC counterparts because we experience it on a more natural basis than others. A lot of us are taught about racism growing up and we know the signs, depictions and actions that can be interpreted as racism. When you're not exposed to racism or don't know what it looks like immediately, that's a privilege that you have, and that privilege is nothing to be ashamed of but you should be aware of it.

2. Jordan Myles allegedly approved the design according to the statement by the WWE.
    - Jordan Myles may have approved the design but that doesn't undercut the fact that the design in of itself drew heavy resemblance to a racist caricature of African Americans. Also, we don't know the pressure that may have been placed on Jordan Myles had he said "no, I don't like that design" and gave the reason that it looks racist. When POC speak out against racism in rooms of non-POC, we are generally seen as making a big deal out of nothing and labeled sensitive because non-POC don't understand or see what we clearly see. This is also a case for having MORE diversity in workplaces, but we don't know if there were no POC working in the WWE's merchandise department so we can't fully argue it but...we can almost guess that there isn't and diversity to them means that they have a team of men and women (all white) from different parts of the country.

I'm willing to have an open and learning dialogue with anyone who wants to discuss this but we can't pretend that thousands of people are pulling at straws when they say, "that t-shirt design is racist".

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Comeback Kid View Post
    I've seen a ton of responses from people stating that they did not see the racism/racist tones behind the shirt and a lot of those people happened to not be people of color (POC). There were some POC that felt the shirt wasn't racist but the vast majority of POC commenting on the shirt definitely saw what Myles was speaking out on. As a POC myself, I immediately zoomed in and made inference to what was to me a caricature of blackface from the menstrual shows of the past. I applaud Myles for pointing this out and saying that it wasn't okay. I do have responses to arguments that have been made against the claim of racist undertones concerning the shirt.

1. I didn't see it and think racism because I'm not always out looking for racism.
    - For POC we're not always out looking for racism, we just notice it much sooner than our non POC counterparts because we experience it on a more natural basis than others. A lot of us are taught about racism growing up and we know the signs, depictions and actions that can be interpreted as racism. When you're not exposed to racism or don't know what it looks like immediately, that's a privilege that you have, and that privilege is nothing to be ashamed of but you should be aware of it.

2. Jordan Myles allegedly approved the design according to the statement by the WWE.
    - Jordan Myles may have approved the design but that doesn't undercut the fact that the design in of itself drew heavy resemblance to a racist caricature of African Americans. Also, we don't know the pressure that may have been placed on Jordan Myles had he said "no, I don't like that design" and gave the reason that it looks racist. When POC speak out against racism in rooms of non-POC, we are generally seen as making a big deal out of nothing and labeled sensitive because non-POC don't understand or see what we clearly see. This is also a case for having MORE diversity in workplaces, but we don't know if there were no POC working in the WWE's merchandise department so we can't fully argue it but...we can almost guess that there isn't and diversity to them means that they have a team of men and women (all white) from different parts of the country.

I'm willing to have an open and learning dialogue with anyone who wants to discuss this but we can't pretend that thousands of people are pulling at straws when they say, "that t-shirt design is racist".
    Welp. Perfect post and well put. I dont really have anything to add except: the only other possibility I can think of if they have diversity in the workplace is that the POC there didnt feel comfortable speaking out about it for fear of reprisal. I have a hard time believing that if there are enough POC working in that t-shirt production pipeline, one of them wouldnt have noticed.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Obviously the design shouldn't have been green lighted. Judging from what ACH/Myles said, it doesn't sound like they ran it by him unlike what they said. And given WWE has a history of lack of communication between talent and the upper bosses, I'm inclined to believe that they didn't tell him before they uploaded it to the site.

Apparently this was online a week ago. But Myles could've easily been trying to get it taken down behind the scenes to no avail so he went public with it. Could be wrong but it seems like the logical steps.

I can't say I have any real opinion on drama. Obviously, the shirt is problematic, but the real drama is he said/they said bs. We don't know if Myles is telling the truth or if the WWE's side of the story with Myles approving of the shirt beforehand is true. Unless one side is willing to back down and admit that the other is right, we'll never know what to believe. What really matters is that a problematic shirt isn't for sale anymore and the sheer curiosity of what this drama will do to Myles' WWE career.
    Last edited by Jim; 10-28-2019 at 03:37 PM.

People's Champion

Status

You know when i first saw the design ..i didn't get it. Then again i have never knew(never did research on it at the time) of blackface before 3 or 4 years ago when that NBC woman said she dressed up like that.

I checked out images of Blackface(specifically the common representation of it)and can see the resemblance now.

I think its pretty sick that WWE would defend their stance and say he approved it.

There's a lot of people slamming Miles over this(comments from fans). Hoping he gets buried and released. I hope he leaves too and ends up in AEW and makes shit load of money.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

No One

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    You know when i first saw the design ..i didn't get it. Then again i have never knew(never did research on it at the time) of blackface before 3 or 4 years ago when that NBC woman said she dressed up like that.

I checked out images of Blackface(specifically the common representation of it)and can see the resemblance now.

I think its pretty sick that WWE would defend their stance and say he approved it.

There's a lot of people slamming Miles over this(comments from fans). Hoping he gets buried and released. I hope he leaves too and ends up in AEW and makes shit load of money.
    Yeah. Whether Myles approved it or not is pretty irrelevant tbh.

I was exposed to it super young because of:

Which are pretty clear cut copies of this even if its a pokemon/alien:

Relentless Admin

Status

I have a hard time believing myles approved the t-shirt in the form we all saw it as in his tweet. It’s hard to trust any statement WWE would make on the issue after proving themselves time and time again to be tone deaf on racial issues (bringing hogan back, categorising many POC wrestlers as dancers/figures of fun rather than serious wrestlers). This is also the company that would have people believe it’s the wrestlers idea to bring private relationships and family deaths into storylines rather than being pressured into tacky storylines by creative, so I think WWE are spinning the story with that statement.

Good luck to myles for sticking his neck out on this.

Cardcaptor

Status

Myles is going off on quite the tirade on Twitter now, again. Attacking the entire pro wrestling "system" for holding back POC, and called Jay Lethal an Uncle Tom.

I guess I can't blame the guy, but I don't know if it's going to accomplish much or end well for him?

The shirt........Oof....Yeah. That's a no no. Isn't there examples in the past of WWE having "Approved" shirts they "ran by people" that they actually didn't? Like Becky had never heard of the whole Lasskicker thing until then, I think I read? Sounds like WWE saving face, really. We all know their history with racially insensitive shit.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

I noticed the issue with the design straight away. I'm with Ed I don't buy WWE running a design past their talent, this is WWE they'd design it then say this is what's being released tomorrow.

Also this is WWE they'll be smart and use the attention Myles is building for their own personal gain, so the more he speaks the more likely it is to become the WWE's work.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
    I have a plan so cunning......

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

This is the same company that didn't bother to research what Submission Sorority was before slapping the name on Charlotte, Paige and Becky. Can you really put it past them not to have realized this was going to be problematic as well?

On the flip side, while I hate to be that guy, can anyone say with 100% certainty that this isn't a work?

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Robert De Niro Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

No One

Status

This is gonna turn into a work really quick. (or is already)

Status

Has ACH shooted himself into a work?
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

No One

Status

I think I want even more transparency from Myles here. Doesnt feel like hes giving enough information if he really wants to indict WWE.

People's Champion

Status

Im not sure why hes taking a shot at Lethal. Lethal is twice the wrestler Myles is now let alone when they were in the same company.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Status

Im not sure why hes taking a shot at Lethal. Lethal is twice the wrestler Myles is now let alone when they were in the same company.
    Well to be fair, the Tweet had nothing to do with Lethal as a wrestler. But it's a situation that we have no insight to so he could be going off the rails or he might be speaking facts. So I'll withhold any judgement on that situation.

Here is his most clear statement about the making of the shirt and how things got to where they are.

I guess that makes sense.

It's obviously a bad look for WWE and I have no problem believing they went ahead with this design knowing that the athlete was against it and knowing the reason he was against it was because it was some blackface adjacent bullshit. There's been a pretty consistent pattern of black athletes in WWE being pigeon holed into certain styles of gimmicks over the years that are often covertly racist (even if perhaps inadvertent) and Myles has fallen into the generic smiling super athlete mold where all they seem to have to say about him is he's one of the most athletic guys on the roster and he's got "smiles for miles". I can see why he's frustrated by that when there's obviously this pseudo-anime character thing going on with him that they don't really tap into in favor of pointing out that, once again, he's super athletic and smiles a lot!
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 KOWC // GOLDEN GOD

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Status

Being a viewer of WWE for years, it's hard to defend them when it comes to African American's in their company. WWE rarely has an African American in a serious role.

It always seems to me they have a quota on Spanish people, black people, asian people. Seems like they don't just try to fill out a card with the best people, but rather only have a certain amount of spots for people of color.

This shirt is so obviously fucked up that whoever made it to me is totally tone deaf when it comes to history.

As far as the way he's on twitter ranting now it certainly won't help him. WWE will just do what they always do bury him, and try to break him until he asks for a release.

Relentless Admin

Status

Judging by twitter, it seems like Cedric Alexander is the only guy publicly standing with Myles on this.

I took that tweet to mean more a shot at ROH the company, not Lethal the wrestler. As in why is Lethal the only one to make it to the top of the roster. Although the uncle tom thing was weird, maybe there's some personal issues between the two there where Myles feels like Lethal didn't do enough to speak out about some of the issues in that company. I've hinted at it before on here, but plenty of black wrestlers have left ROH frustrated with how they were used.
    Last edited by Ed; 10-28-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I took that tweet to mean a shot at ROH the company, not Lethal the wrestler. As in why is Lethal the only one to make it to the top of the roster. I've hinted at it before on here, but plenty of black wrestlers have left ROH frustrated with how they were used.
    ROH is owned by Sinclair, a company with a strong conservative lean. Might not be a coincidence.

And the "WWE has some racism problems" doesn't feel like a huge stretch to me. Not saying it absolutely does, but there are plenty of trouble aspects when consider them. A look through about 35 corporate employees - board of directors, senior directors and senior management.... of which 4 appear to be visible minorities.... that's pretty poor by any corporate standards. And one of those 4 is regional GM for a specific region.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Judging by twitter, it seems like Cedric Alexander is the only guy publicly standing with Myles on this.

I took that tweet to mean more a shot at ROH the company, not Lethal the wrestler. As in why is Lethal the only one to make it to the top of the roster. Although the uncle tom thing was weird, maybe there's some personal issues between the two there where Myles feels like Lethal didn't do enough to speak out about some of the issues in that company. I've hinted at it before on here, but plenty of black wrestlers have left ROH frustrated with how they were used.
    Besides Cedric and ACH...who else? At the time..they both weren't near Lethal's level or Roddys, Coles, or anyone else at the top. ROH is notorious for sleeping on guys for way to long anyway.

This reminds me of when ACH was in hot water in ROH for his backstage attitude.

Either way he deleted the Lethal shot it right after he posted it.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information