Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion Thread

Striving for a B+ in life

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion Thread

I think Giannis stays, but the Bucks might need a coaching change to convince him they're committed. Bud has proven a few times now that he's vulnerable to being outcoached in a series. He needed two and a half games to figure out Miami's dribble-handoff offense, and even then the defense wasn't perfect. He's allergic to allowing a switch-happy defense, and Miami made the Bucks pay for that.

Some of it goes on the decision to give Eric Bledsoe an extension before last year's playoffs, which put them in a cap bind and eliminated their chances of re-signing Brogdon. Bledsoe is nearly unplayable on offense against good teams in the playoffs.

But some of it goes on scheme. Miami's a great, tough team, but there's no reason the Bucks, who are a superior team with Giannis on the floor, should've been down 3-0 to them.

The Celtics feel like the superior team, but it'd be awesome to see the Raptors squeak out a Game 7. I have a discouraging feeling Boston railroads them on Friday, unfortunately.
    Last edited by The Golden One; 09-10-2020 at 09:10 AM.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One View Post
    The Celtics feel like the superior team, but it'd be awesome to see the Raptors squeak out a Game 7. I have a discouraging feeling Boston railroads them on Friday, unfortunately.
    Would be par for the course where Boston/Toronto sports are concerned.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Champions.

Status
      Country                    England

I'm gutted that the Raptors/Celtics game is the last one on Friday. It will end up finishing about 4.30am here.

TUFF

Status

Is it just me or does anyone else think Giannis would thrive in a system like the Rockets where everyone is able to switch everything? Surround Giannis with 3 and D players and let him do the ball handling. I do think he'll need to have a secondary ball handler out there with him but I can't think of a point guard who is a good three point shooter, a good ball handler, and a decent defensive player. Maybe Kyle Lowry?

Tough times don't last, tough people do.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jam View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else think Giannis would thrive in a system like the Rockets where everyone is able to switch everything? Surround Giannis with 3 and D players and let him do the ball handling. I do think he'll need to have a secondary ball handler out there with him but I can't think of a point guard who is a good three point shooter, a good ball handler, and a decent defensive player. Maybe Kyle Lowry?
    Don't put this evil out there.

Bud is safe but Bledsoe is on the trade block according to reports. Bucks will be doing everything they can to shuffle the deck and reload this coming year. Everyone in the organization is on the hot seat and knows it because the future of the entire franchise is on the line. Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

Status

Kawhi out here leaving a championship team and choking out in the second round, you love to see it

WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

#BlackLivesMatter

TUFF

Status

Doc and PG saying they lost because their team is newly constructed. C'mon.

If the Nuggets continue to play like this, this is gonna be an interesting series against the Lakers. But I have confidence AD will be the star of this series. Not sure who can guard AD on the Nuggets as Jokic is slow as hell and will tire out keeping up with AD.

Tough times don't last, tough people do.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

That Bam block was ridiculous. The ball was over the cylinder, and Bam's wrist bent back like he was playing possum in an arm wrestling match.

The Lakers are a bad matchup for the Nuggets (if they commit to AD at center and only play a traditional big when Plumlee is on the floor). The versatility of their bigs, particularly AD, neutralizes a lot of Jokic. Murray is going to need to torch the Lakers, but at some point, LaLa Land will just give LeBron a shot at guarding him.

I expect the Nuggets to randomly win Game 1 — as LeBron's teams usually play poorly in Game 1s — and then lose in six. But I hope beyond hope that the Nuggets pull it out.

A Heat-Lakers final would've been far more entertaining if Miami could have fans at their games. Oh well.

FWIW, please god do not give us a Lakers-Celtics final.
    Last edited by The Golden One; 09-16-2020 at 08:42 AM.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

All About That Ace

Status

I dont really like any of the teams left but if Nuggets could somehow pull it out of the bag that would be fun. Lakers are probably the team I least want to win because it feels way to storybook-y for my liking. Would dig for Jimmy Butler to somehow will himself to a title but I would also be pretty satisfied with Murray & Jokic shocking the world with a title.

And yeah, avoiding a Celtics/Lakers finals would be great.

I'll buy a jersey from any team able to eliminate the Lakers tbh. Anyways, lemme go burn my Kawhi jersey for the likes.

Huggin' and Kissin'

Status
      Country                    Ireland

So I've only really gotten into basketball since my trip to Canada in 2019 so forgive me if this is ignorance; why do prole not want a Lakers/Celtics final? I mean, the team I've chosen to follow is the Raptors (yes it helped massively that I was in Canada for their nba win last year) so wanted them to win but from talking to a few of my friends who are into basketball and looking at old videos and histories Lakers/Celtics seems like the biggest match in the game nearly?

Nuggets were awesome in the last 3 game turning over them big deficits but again, from what I gather, Clippers may have been a bigger test for Lakers.

King EC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    So I've only really gotten into basketball since my trip to Canada in 2019 so forgive me if this is ignorance; why do prole not want a Lakers/Celtics final? I mean, the team I've chosen to follow is the Raptors (yes it helped massively that I was in Canada for their nba win last year) so wanted them to win but from talking to a few of my friends who are into basketball and looking at old videos and histories Lakers/Celtics seems like the biggest match in the game nearly?

Nuggets were awesome in the last 3 game turning over them big deficits but again, from what I gather, Clippers may have been a bigger test for Lakers.
    Hard to say, I think it's just the general way people like to root for underdogs. The Celtics and Lakers have more championships than any other franchises in the NBA, so I guess for that reason, a lot of people are gonna perpetually root against them.

Idk why people are relishing in the Clippers loss so much. I suppose it's the hype they had, which I can understand. But I am very happy to see the Nuggets go on this run they're on. Jamal Murray is sensational and elevating himself to superstar status. And Jokic of course is one of the more fun players in the league. So that's all good.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

All About That Ace

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post

What Mr. PB said. I dont like seeing the same teams competing for titles & I was a pretty big Lakers fan for a while.

While the salary cap has limitations, I've always dug American sports for the draft & salary cap helping keep things on an equal footing. Teams like Lakers will always make it back to the playoffs since they're a big market but random teams making it far happens far more often here than it does in say European football... to my knowledge. I'd rather see Heat or Nuggets surprisingly win the title cuz I wouldnt have predicted either of them at the start of the year.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peanutbutter View Post
    Idk why people are relishing in the Clippers loss so much. I suppose it's the hype they had, which I can understand. But I am very happy to see the Nuggets go on this run they're on. Jamal Murray is sensational and elevating himself to superstar status. And Jokic of course is one of the more fun players in the league. So that's all good.
    Not only were they hyped a lot by the media but they hyped themselves a lot. You look around the league at other contenders and none of them acted like they were gonna free-walk to the Finals as much as the Clips did. Pat Bev in particular is such a loudmouth, unlikeable player who acts like trash off the court and plays like it on the court. He unironically told Steph Curry "the last five years were yours, the next five are mine." He was trash-talking Warriors ARENA WORKERS that their team was washed and it was the Clippers turn now. He roughly fouled Murray in the closing minutes of blowout game seven and could have injured him like a petty bitch.

Then you've got Clips players chirping at Dame and CJ when the Blazers are getting knocked out of the playoffs, you've got Montrez calling himself a modern day Dennis Rodman when he can't buy five boards for most of the series, you've got this whole Clippers ad campaign that paints themselves as blue-collar, from-the-bottom heroes with people like Paul George acting like they did this "the hard way" instead of just superteaming up EXACTLY like the Lakers did (who they threw plenty of shade at). And you've got Kawhi, already a guy who forced his way off the best franchise in the NBA, who walked away from a title team to build a superteam in a move that would have gotten anyone else crucified, but instead the media and fans kissed his feet all year and were calling him the best and clutchest player in basketball. Now that guy disappeared completely in game seven, let his team choke away a 3-1 lead, and the team he walked away from was one timely basket from going back to the ECF and proved that they were immensely talented with or without him.

The Clippers collapse is almost a PERFECT STORM of unlikable hype just collapsing in on itself like a black hole. It's fucking hilarious, even if you aren't a devout Kawhi hater like I am.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

#BlackLivesMatter

King EC

Status

What makes you a devout Kawhi hater?
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peanutbutter View Post
    What makes you a devout Kawhi hater?
    I recall after last season typing up at least one big long diatribe but the long story short is he forced his way out of one of the finest organizations in the sport, by tanking his own trade value, abandoning his teammates, and constantly tugging around his coach who is a fucking icon of the game. He spent most of it painting himself as the victim with what turned out to be an egregious amount of misleading shade toward the Spurs organization, who were for the most part too respectful to mudsling back. Then he heroically "carried" an underdog team to a championship over a dynasty that everyone wanted to see crumble and pretty much everyone except Spurs fans forgot what a piece of shit he'd been to make that happen.

That was all plenty well enough but it's also pretty clear that he waited as long as possible on free agency last year to put the Lakers in the awkward position of going all in on him and then not being able to craft a backup plan because everyone else was gone at that point. I can at least chalk that up to gamesmanship but it's the kind of move that would get him lambasted if his name rhymed with LeJon Brames but again, he was the belle of the ball at the time.

I think Kawhi is a very good player but the way he treated the Spurs pretty much has him on my shitlist for life. He's a drama queen and spotlight hog who likes to pretend he isn't one, and I'd have respected him a hell of a lot more if he'd had the balls to just request a trade from San Antonio like anyone else instead of pulling the strings to fuck the team that made him on the way out the door and make himself look like a victim.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

#BlackLivesMatter

All About That Ace

Status

If Kawhi dont fuck up the Spurs, Raps dont get no titles (because them bois werent getting Kawhi if he'd played it straight). Thank you, Kawhi!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information