Thread: NJPW announces New Japan Pro-Wrestling of America.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW announces New Japan Pro-Wrestling of America.

EHYW5HsUYAAWylh.jpg

[CEO Takami Obari]: There is plenty still to be undertaken when it comes to furthering the brand in the US. Fans though, have a very close association to talent and core concepts of strong style, as evidenced by market research in Dallas.

Obari: Live events will be an important basis of New japan of America. It is important that fans get close to our wrestlers and see our wrestling close-up.

Obari: What fans in America value is the NJPW brand and concept, and the style of wrestling that represents. The NJPW brand is important, hence the name of New Japan of America.

Obari: There is absolutely no plans to sell the Japanese market short. An office in the US allows for better talent relations in the US, and allows talent to further our brand within the American market, while allowing American fans to more easily support the brand.

Obari on key differences between US and Japanese markets: America is skewed more toward male fans, and they consume content digitally as opposed to through TV.

In the immediate future, US tours will take place while the Japanese schedule is between tours, but there may be cases where tours run simultaneously, with talent schedules an important factor.

Obari: The plan will be to broadcast American events live on World wherever possible. Where that isn't feasible, they will be available VOD on delay.

Obari: 2020 schedules are still being considered, but there could be as many as double the 2019 slate of 12-13 events. There will not be a reduction in the number of Japanese events.

Obari: We have worked well with AXS TV, and will continue to do so in the foreseeable future. Other partnerships may be something we can discuss and consider as we move forward.
    Wow this is pretty shocking. Maybe a bit too late but credit New Japan for trying.

Last edited by MC 16; 10-21-2019 at 03:39 AM.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: NJPW announces New Japan Pro-Wrestling of America.

So I'm not sure what exactly is happening, are they just touring the US? Or are they legitimately starting up a US-based promotion?

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    So I'm not sure what exactly is happening, are they just touring the US? Or are they legitimately starting up a US-based promotion?
    I think it's just an extension of New Japan. They'll be doing tours in the US in between the Japan tours. Going back and forth from the looks of it.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

If this were 2 years ago before they botched their expansion so much this would have had immensely more impact. To be honest, this seems like more of a thing to just say they can have a true global footprint and impress the Japanese contingent rather than anything about the US. Just look at this announcement, it took place in the middle of the night with like 5 hours of a heads up. I doubt this will mean much of anything. Just more of the same, running more shows here. I think with AEW they've seen their ceiling and it's big by indie standards but very low by big company standards. The worst case scenario is it upsets the wrestlers and Japanese fans more but we'll see how they plan to serve the US indie viewers. The Super J Cup and G1 did very poorly so I have to say I'm skeptical of how much a deal this will actually turn out to be.

Status

Best explanation I've read of it so far is that it quite possibly just a business move. That it can help out for Japanese companies doing business regularly in the US to have a "US division" for things like taxation, work visas, etc. Given the timing and the way the announcement was made, that seems to make a lot of sense.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

It's a good point. Also BUSHIROAD is aiming to go public so having a foreign, especially US imprint would help look better on that end.

WAKE UP

Status

I read this as a pre-cursor to them launching a US brand, but we'll see. Personally have zero interest in it and I feel we're almost in danger in swinging the other direction and getting a market which is over-saturated.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

It could make for some good matches occasionally and may help get a little more fans in the US. I'm thinking it'll be something like Dragon Gate USA which could be something worth watching. But I'm not sure if anyone really asked for it at this stage thought. And I agree with the scare of over-saturation in one market.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Best explanation I've read of it so far is that it quite possibly just a business move. That it can help out for Japanese companies doing business regularly in the US to have a "US division" for things like taxation, work visas, etc. Given the timing and the way the announcement was made, that seems to make a lot of sense.
    For stuff like this, you can't knock 'em. Have at America if it benefits them in more ways than one from a wider business POV.

In terms of running more shows in America and possibly launching a US brand......fuck no, not interested in the slightest and they are not reading the the lay of the land correctly. Wrestling fans only have so much free time and money, and AEW right now are the priority brand to support for lapsed WWE fans looking for an alternative. In 2019 the ideal situation for NJPW in the US is to run 3-4 sized events a year in different markets to still get their slice of the pie, but not be left running half empty arenas for shows with no buzz because they were over ambitious but slow to capitalise on ROH being shit for years and the gap in the market before AEW started up. I think this is a year too late to introduce. NJPW is already a slog enough to follow without more mediocre US shows to add to the schedule,.

Curtain Jerker

Status

From the sound of it, I won't mind seeing this at all. Besides the Jan. 4 dome shows, I haven't really given NJPW much of a watch. All in all, I'm intrigued.

Thread Information