Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would it take for you to watch Impact Wrestling?

Status
      Country                    United States

Impact Wrestling What would it take for you to watch Impact Wrestling?

Impact has been in flux for... well... most of its history. I'm sure most would agree that their apex came at some point between 2005 and 2012 and even during that stretch of them being the clear #2 promotion in the USA, they were constantly struggling with booking, they never really drew big numbers, and their management was just not up to snuff. Since around 2013/2014 it's been a real challenge for Impact to try to stop the bleeding as they have been on a nearly nonstop downhill skid.

Now I was a huge fan of TNA for most of their existence. I've always been a huge proponent for WWE alternatives (says the WWE mod). I was definitely more passionate about TNA for the better part of their first decade of existence, compared to WWE. But around the time when they switched to full on Impact Wrestling branding, in the wake of Aces & Eights and all that good stuff, I kind of took a break from wrestling. When I started to pay attention again, the landscape of TNA, now Impact, had completely changed from what I had known and I just wasn't interested in it anymore. I got back into wrestling and I started following WWE closely again while disregarding Impact. And a lot of that probably had to do with the fact that Impact had moved off Spike TV so, for me, it just wasn't as convenient to watch anymore while the WWE Network and the influx of more indie-centric talent made WWE so much easier and more compelling to watch. I've checked in on Impact from time to time, watching a week or two here and there over the past few years, but it just hasn't stuck.

Recently though, I've decided to give Impact another real try. I've done this for a few reasons. First off, Slammiversary and Bound For Glory have been really fucking good for the past two years. There is very little discussion about Impact around here anymore but for the past two years I've noticed that people are still checking out Slammiversary and Bound For Glory and it seems like we can all agree the shows are really good. And on that note, Bound For Glory is right around the corner so I'm eager to see if they can deliver once again. Secondly, I love what's been going on with Sami Callihan and Tessa Blanchard particularly. I figure since that's one of my favorite things going in wrestling, maybe they have some other good stuff going. And they do. Nothing that's on the same level, but there's enough good there to make me enjoy the product. Third of all, Impact Plus is actually a solid app and streaming service now. GWN was absolutely terrible. I got rid of it almost immediately. But Impact Plus actually looks good and runs good, so I don't mind paying for it because I love the classic Impact content and I can watch Impact Wrestling episodes only a couple of days after they air. And finally, Impact is moving to a bigger and more stable network with AXS. The fact that their parent company, Anthem, actually bought the network seems like a great sign to me. The show will be getting great exposure, they presumably don't have to worry much about losing their time slot or any of that and they can just focus on creating a good product and building up a fanbase. It also makes me think that Anthem is willing and ready to spend on Impact if needed, but if I'm being honest, the production levels and talent that they have now are more than good enough for me.

So that's why I'm back on the Impact train for the time being. They still have some improvements to make, no question about that. But I have been very pleased with the recent episodes of Impact Wrestling and I'm really looking forward to Bound For Glory once again this year after they've managed to hit it out of the park the last couple times around.

Anyways, the question here is what would it take for you to watch Impact Wrestling? Is it a matter of it just not being important enough to you? Do you still have a bad taste in your mouth from the last time you watched it? Has it been too inaccessible? And do you ever see yourself getting back into Impact Wrestling, or checking out Impact Wrestling for the first time?

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Re: What would it take for you to watch Impact Wrestling?

Tessa Blanchard got me back into Impact and little by little I've branched out and watched more and more of it. There are things that aren't perfect; their never ending ECW Reunions, and the Knockouts division isn't very good right now. But they're creating some real Stars. Impact is the only Wrestling Programming I look forward too week to week.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

It would take a miracle. As many know, I was one of the most ardent TNA supporters here for quite some time, but they really lost me with that ridiculous Aces & Eights angle and I've never felt the desire to return.

I've also been trying to limit my wrestling watching to just a few hours a week, so between AEW and NWA, I'm pretty much covered. I do wish Impact the best in this new and exciting landscape of pro wrestling, but at the moment I will remain a non-viewer.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Steven Spielberg Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    I've also been trying to limit my wrestling watching to just a few hours a week, so between AEW and NWA, I'm pretty much covered. I do wish Impact the best in this new and exciting landscape of pro wrestling, but at the moment I will remain a non-viewer.
    This, although sub NWA for MLW. I'm sure they're still on Spike/Channel 5 over here but I'm not sure what's happened to the PPV'S, went to find Slammiversary months ago and it wasn't around

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Yeah we have pretty poor coverage of Imapact here in the UK, plus watching week in, week out was getting a bit tedious, especially with the constant rehashing of the ECW stuff. I've said for a long time, Impact has some very good talent that need to be used correctly and it just isn't happening. Maybe when Cage drops the title, and they throw everything behind Sami it'll change...though let's be honest, the only wave they're going to make to get peoples attention is by putting the World Title on Tessa.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Jam Up Guy

Status

I'm not a hugely qualified person to give an opinion, as I rarely watch TV on my own anymore and hence find it hard to keep up with any wrestling. But in terms of what it'd take for me to watch Impact again... pretty much nothing, I'm afraid.

I was a huge, huge fan of TNA during a very small window in 2005-06 where I thought it really was the start of something big, and I came in and out after that for a few years, but to me the brand is absolutely dead, and has been for a good half a decade now. I'd be more likely to watch an identical promotion with the same people, matches and stories but with a different name, because TNA, Impact... it's all toxic to me. It'd be like bringing back Heroes of Wrestling. If you have an idea for a promotion, you're better off just using a new name, because the name's not doing anything to help give you credibility anymore. Quite the opposite, in fact.

The only thing they could do, and it's a huge "could", is find a niche that no-one else can do. If they could offer something no-one else could (and, importantly, something I really wanna see, rather than just different for the sake of different), maybe I'll be convinced. Kind of like how in 2005 they hit my need for innovative, exciting, fast-paced wrestling with good storytelling and angles. To me, they found that sweet spot between what WWE and ROH were at the time. A more accessible ROH, or are less insulting WWE. If they can find the modern day version of that thing no-one else is doing, maybe I'll take a look.

Problem with that is, with so much competition out there now, I don't see what it is they can offer that would make them more worthy of my time than any one of AEW, NJPW, NXT, MLW, NWA, or maybe even WWE. Impact is dead for me, and it has been for a long, long time.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

With IMPACT, there is so much other promotions that so many promotions do things at a much higher standard. Its simply not a must see promotion. That and there is so many promotions to watch and so little time. I love Beyond but I can only fit one or two matches a week, let alone Impact. So it'll have to be a massive increase in quality or something else becomes more expendable.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Greece

It would take someone pointing a gun in my head. And even that may not be enough.

I tried to watch their product when it was at its best and it just wasn't for me. So it will always be a pass for me.

#WC4Horsemen

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Too much wrestling elsewhere, better wrestling at that. Plus their past basically stops me from ever being interested in them again. It's just not worth my time

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

People's Champion

Status

I cant religiously follow any wrestling. Its too much of an investment. Id rather play video games. I watch the good to great matches from old school WWE, ROH, NXT, TNA, NJPW and now AEW . I do that Friday night and Saturday night if i can.

The closest i get to following a promotion is ROH. But i dont watch their show. Just the house shows and ppvs
    Last edited by indyfan; 10-18-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Relentless Admin

Status

The funny thing is they were actually very watchable last year. Pentgon and Fenix were great, LAX were great, Tessa was great, Sami was great, Aries was great. They had 2 or 3 really strong PPVs last year. It was easily Impact's best year since 2011 and they had gotten me back to a point where I was watching the weekly TV show there for a while. Problem is they lost all that top talent and then booked Tessa really weirdly all year and they're still doing ECW tribute angles, so their own product went downhill rapidly at a time where so many other promotions were getting buzz.

Doing something interesting with Tessa (i.e. not X-Division intergender shite) would be the easiest way they could get me back to at least watching SOMETHING from their shows because she's the best female wrestler in America and Impact is the only place making tape in America that has her. She's going to get a very good deal with either WWE or AEW when her contract is next up.

Stylebender

Status
      Country                    Scotland

For me, it's the production values, the crowd, and the lack of variety compared to other companies. The crowds look and sound so dead, it kills any interest I have in the angles even if I enjoy it. Also Impact in general just looks really dingy and cheap now. I know things weren't exactly high calibre, even during Spike, but even in comparison to the Destination America era, it's REALLY poor.

One thing I loved about Impact in 2016-2018 was the Broken Universe & the Rosemary/Allie/Yung saga before it went to shit. Because THAT kind of wackiness is what I love in wrestling, just off the wall crazy shit and with so little of that happening anymore, Impact being just another serious promotion I have no time for, they lost the goodwill for that kind of promotion in 2015 for me. It just fun, and ultimately that's what I want.

I think there's also a case to be made that, well, Impact had it's chance. They WERE the hot thing in 2005-2008, they WERE the fun promotion, even during the Russo Era it was fun to watch because it was a car crash. Even though AJ left, they could have still succeeded on Spike, if they just didn't fuck around with Russo again. Now they're basically a cautionary tale.

Impact 2014: Rebranding When It Mattered

Status

Honestly, probably nothing. I don't think I ever will. Which isn't fair. But they've just left me very jaded.

Its a bit weird and unfair, to be honest. The WWE has screwed me over as a fan way WAY more, wasted more of my time and money, etc. And yet TNA is the one I feel endless bitterness towards.

I started watching TNA when I came back to watching wrestling in late 2008. I kept watching TNA until about.... 2012? It was still on Spike for awhile after I abandoned ship. I had my PVR set to record it, but for a long time, I would just delete it off the PVR unwatched. There was some small, wee satisfaction in that.

The reality is that the only thing I really gave TNA was my time. They got very little money out of me - not sure I ever paid for a PPV. And yet the continual insistence on shooting themselves in the dick time and time and time again just wore me out as a viewer. I never called myself a TNA fan, but I wanted to be. What I recognized was that the WWE had moved on for me and my type as the target fan, I was exactly what TNA was trying to target. And they didn't need to be amazing to hook me. They just needed to be... moderately competent. And they couldn't be. Disappointment would give way to frustration and eventually, that just becomes toxic. So I stopped.

Over the last year or two, I've seen plenty of chatter about them doing some things well and being worth your time. From sources I trust the tastes of. Yet I haven't really been tempted to even find illegal streams to watch. I just.... can't get myself up to give a fuck. That lingering bitterness is just too strong.

Not being accessible for me is a barrier that would exist even if I was moderately interested. I want accessibility. If its going to be a pin in the ass and / or cost me money, I might as well re-up on a subscription to something like New Japan World or another sub service that offers something I'm even more interested in.

I recently gave up on the WWE. Stopped watching Raw or SD and cancelled my network sub. AEW being GOOD made me feel comfortable doing that. I still follow the WWE from afar but without real caring. If it wasn't for AEW, maybe getting to this point with the WWE would have pushed me in the direction of Impact, especially as ROH is a flaming dumpster fire at the moment. But honestly, as long as there are other options out there and Impact is just GOOD... I won't bother with them.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Keep dreaming

Status
      Country                    UK

I was quite a big Impact fan during the TNA days from probably around 2006-2009. We didn’t have Sky Sports and TNA (weekly and PPVs) were on Challenge for free so I used to have TNA as the only wrestling that I would actually watch, along with a bit of stuff on The Wrestling Channel.

It was Hogan and Bischoff that turned me off it for good, as I didn’t like anything they were doing.

It wasn’t really until last year that I started to pay them a bit more attention and since then I’ve been sure to keep up with what’s going on, but without watching anything. I’ve considered getting Impact Plus, mainly so I can watch some of the old episodes again.

Status

So it sounds that Impact is past the point of no return for a lot of y'all. That's a little sad. But understandable. I do get that for a lot of people, in the current wrestling landscape, there just isn't room for another hour and a half of wrestling weekly. But I'm just saying... you'll never know if you don't try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddes View Post
    For me, it's the production values, the crowd, and the lack of variety compared to other companies. The crowds look and sound so dead, it kills any interest I have in the angles even if I enjoy it. Also Impact in general just looks really dingy and cheap now. I know things weren't exactly high calibre, even during Spike, but even in comparison to the Destination America era, it's REALLY poor.
    Now the silence of the crowd is something I can agree with completely. It's a major downside for me as well. That's why I'm just hoping they continue to grow their fanbase and they build a dedicated following like they used to have so it's not just a bunch of randoms in a casino who couldn't care less about the show.

Quote Originally Posted by TWG View Post
    It wasn’t really until last year that I started to pay them a bit more attention and since then I’ve been sure to keep up with what’s going on, but without watching anything. I’ve considered getting Impact Plus, mainly so I can watch some of the old episodes again.
    I personally loved the first couple years of the Hogan-Bischoff era. At least once we got past the Sean Morleys and Nasty Boys being shoehorned into the product.

But yeah, like I said, Impact Plus is way better than it used to be and they have most of the classic content up. There are still a couple years of Impact episodes conspicuously missing but all the PPVs and most of the episodes are there.

Keep dreaming

Status
      Country                    UK

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    So it sounds that Impact is past the point of no return for a lot of y'all. That's a little sad. But understandable. I do get that for a lot of people, in the current wrestling landscape, there just isn't room for another hour and a half of wrestling weekly. But I'm just saying... you'll never know if you don't try it.
    I don’t think people should rule it out just based on what’s happened in the last few years. It is a watchable product now (yes the dead crowds don’t help) and some of the character work, especially Callihan, has been really good.

What's Gwarning!

Status

I always used to watch Impact regularly- I remember the golden age of TNA when you had the LAX feud with Daniels/Styles, Sting, Christian, etc. I still watched it even though all the originals left. But then when most of the superstars that I was invested in starting to leave for other companies such as Lucha Dragons, LAX & others- then I just lost my love for it.

As much as I want to see Impact do well, my favourite wrestlers that I used to tune in for all get their reigns at the top - and they all end up leaving for bigger things. Not that it's a bad thing for them, but I think it just affects Impact in general because they do make an effort to create stars and then they end up leaving. But that's wrestling for you! And I do see why they leave, but I just think they need MORE wrestlers who are Impact-forever lol.

That being said, Impact are more than capable of putting out great storylines. From when I last watched- they were on and off, and they just need to get that consistency back - but at the same time, not everything in wrestling shows will be perfect. I'm gonna try catch up to see what I've missed before watching BFG.

EDIT: Just seen the mention of Sami Callihan. Him & OVW are one of the reasons why I want to get back in. They don't seem like they will be going anywhere and I rate that.

Relentless Admin

Status

They take one step forward bringing in Kylie Rae, and then they take two steps backwards bringing in fucking Joey Ryan.

I can only assume Tony Khan hates Joey Ryan's act for AEW not to go near him when he was a regular on BTE and did All In.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    They take one step forward bringing in Kylie Rae, and then they take two steps backwards bringing in fucking Joey Ryan.

I can only assume Tony Khan hates Joey Ryan's act for AEW not to go near him when he was a regular on BTE and did All In.
    I thought he had offers from AEW and WWE? I definitely heard that somewhere. No idea if it's legit but apparently he didn't want to sign with either of them and have to stop working indie dates. Again, take that with a very large grain of salt.

Anyways, I always liked Ryan. I liked him a lot more before he started wrestling people with his dick for sure. But that's what's worked for him over the past few years so I can't blame him for running with it. He's pretty much like Orange Cassidy as far as I'm concerned. He's a niche gimmick that will work for some and be hated by others. We'll see how things go. I fully expect his first program to be with Johnny Swinger in some capacity since they're working such similar gimmicks and even look quite a lot alike. That should be... something.

Curtain Jerker

Status

I have tried watching the new Impact Wrestling on their streaming site, and I found the product boring. There was no crowd interaction, Josh Matthews and Don Callis are dull, and the production of the show looks like it is nothing more than an indie show. It's dark, the right mats don't cover the ring area. It looks ghetto. If I were to watch Impact Wrestling once again, I'd like to see the following happen...

1. Tape shows from one place. Either Impact Zone or the Hammerstein Ballroom. If you go to the ballroom, it will have that 2000 ECW/ 1993 RAW feel to it again. It's bright, the fans are loud, it's a good, hardcore vibe.

2. Create a new broadcast team. I really like what AEW is doing with their older broadcast team coming in and using Excaliber to connect with audience. I would bring back a voice that people haven't heard in a very long time. Pay the money for a guy like Jesse The Body Ventura to come on board as the colour commentator and pair him up with either Josh Matthews or a Matt Striker. Another option would be a guy like Joey Styles. Styles was the voice of ECW for years and could bring some nostalgia by doing commentary with Callis.

3. Redefine the X Division and Knockout's Division by bringing in some amazing young talent into the mix, and pairing them with established Women and X Division stars. WWE has the big guys, and AEW has the Tag Teams. What made TNA great was the X Division which evolved from the cruiserweights in WCW. By focusing on those rosters, you will be able to build on something that neither company is really doing well right now. Yes WWE has Becky Lynch and the four Horsewomen as their top ladies, but TNA was awesome with the Beautiful People, Gail Kim, Awesome Kong, Sarita, etc. Tessa Blanchard, Su Yung, Rosemary are fantastic, but bring in more women with name recognition to build their roster. Angelina Love, Velvet Sky, Taryn Tarelle, Brooke Tessmacher, and others.

4. Less focus on the ECW brand. We have ECW come back time and time again. I like RVD, and Rhyno. I don't need to see them team up though, and I don't need to see Tommy Dreamer, Sandman, and Sabu. We criticize the WWE for shoving the legends down our throats, but how many times are we going to go to the well with ECW? It was a cult promotion that killed itself. I know I say this after suggesting Joey Styles comes back, but again as AEW is showing with their broadcast team. Veteran broadcasters still have a craft that is unparalleled by the new announcers. Mauro Ranallo is probably the best commentator in the business since JR, whereas there is so much great, talented wrestlers in the game that you don't need to rely on old people to get in the ring. Put a Will Ospreay or Zack Sabre Junior in your X Division and watch as they have solid matches with Rich Swann and Willie Mack.

5. Create a sense of hype. I am not excited to watch an episode of Impact Wrestling. There is nothing that I have seen from that company which makes me want to tune in. I like watching wrestling shows that have the audience going crazy, and the broadcast team on the edge of their seats. TNA had that in the 2005-2010. When Don West was yelling, so was I. When TNA had a big announcement (Sting, Christian, Kurt Angle, Hogan) it was a HUGE deal and made the wrestling world take notice. I feel like Impact needs that once again. Impact needs to build the hype and make what they do the most important thing in professional wrestling. NWA has managed to do that with their studio show, AEW does that with their Dynamite Show, and WWE can still make the world take notice when they have something huge. Until Impact makes itself a big deal, nobody is going to watch. If I don't have time for limited wrestling during a 6 day wrestling schedule, and I have RAW, NXT, NWA, AEW, SD, plus MLW, ROH, Impact, and other promotions to watch, I'm only making time for the big leagues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information