Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Football Manager 2020

Status

Re: Football Manager 2020

30 years later, its a problem. Makes sense.

Dickheads.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Haven't made a great deal of progress. Into November 2022. Almost no fixtures and it took me a bit to realize that is because of the 2022 World Cup.

We are still near the top of the table and qualified from a fairly tough group in the Champions League. I don't expect us to hold out and we will probably fall behind City and Liverpool again later in the season. They are just so fucking loaded with talent.

Sergio Gomez, the Greek newgen and Kenneh are all developing into monsters. Kana too. they form a nice core of the squad, but I imagine big clubs will be coming in for them soon.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Finished out 2022. Took longer than it should have as I decided to watch a bunch of the World cup matches. Not in full, but on Extended Highlights. Rather enjoyed it. Cameroon took out Brazi in SF and England beat Germany on pens in the other. England downed Cameroon 2-1 in the Final. My monster box-to-box Noah Kenneh started a few matches, including the final.

I have some big clubs sniffing around Jonathan David, the Canadian winger/striker who is doing quite well. Apparently the deal would be worth 105m. I would take that in a heartbeat, even thought its hella fun having a Canadian who is closing in on world class status. His pace makes him effective but he's not a great all-around striker. That's the one thing my side still needs - a top-level goal-scorer. David isn't and Berenton isn't. have a couple of kids I have hope for but no one is a certainty.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

R. I. P. Lionheart

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Anyone know of any good timeline mods? Like in TEW you can get a 2009 mod or something, is there any for FM? I know there's a 2006-07 one which is cool, but is there any more?

Impact 2014: Re-Branding When It Mattered
    In the BTB Section!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddes View Post
    Anyone know of any good timeline mods? Like in TEW you can get a 2009 mod or something, is there any for FM? I know there's a 2006-07 one which is cool, but is there any more?
    There are always some kicking about, but they vary heavily in quality. I would start on the GDS site to see if there any, then check some popular fan sites like FM Scout and sortitoutsi.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

World Champion

Status

So did a Sunderland game, 1st season got them out of League One and won the Checkatrade too.

2nd season nothing dramatic, was down to avoid relegation and finished comfortably mid table.

3rd season, didn't have a massive transfer budget, asked the board to sign someone who was only slightly over my budget, they refused so i resigned and then when i checked, they actually signed the guy anyway. Got the Reading job but somehow managed to delete the save so will be starting all over again with someone different.

I do enjoy the released lists at the end of the season, picked up some decent players like Danny Simpson and Luke Garbutt for nothing.

Status

Gotta love when boards are dick, Mikk.

And dead-right on those released lists. Honestly, if you are a lower-Prem or Championship club and have some patience, you can absolutely build a squad just poaching from the big clubs in England. They start out with so many good young players, and so many will get no time, and then get pushed out by wonderkids that the club sign, and its a never-ending cycle. Of course, its probably more fun to sign and develop your own wonderkids. But its a real source of talent you can tap. And get them for free on cut-rate transfer listings.

In my Blackburn save, I got Sergio Gomez and Joao Pedro for free. Gomez was out of contract at Dortmund (but I've seen him TL'd for like 3.5 to 5m. in other saves) and Pedro was still under contract but Watford were accepting bid of 0 for him. Weird.

Finished out the fourth season with a title win and kinda done with the save. More just dont with managing in the Prem. I just don't enjoy it as much as other leagues. We won the title but barely topped the table. I didn't realize how tight it was until the last couple of matches - we were constantly 2nd or 3rd but always had a match or three in hand. Have same amazing wonderkids but can't say I have a burning need to see them develop.

Think its back to Brazil. Its weird how what I want in a save swings. The first time I did a Mineiro save on FM20, I only did the first season because we found success quickly and I was eyeballing great wonderkids and newgens from elsewhere that I couldn't land in Brazil. I could get them in Blackburn, and I did. But now I want something more restricted again.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Did a couple of months with Mineiro but I don't love the starting squad makeup, so I didn't finish it out. Kinda wanted to stay in South American and stay in Brazil, so I tried Athletic Paranaese again, but that didn't get too far. So now I'm trying out Argentinos Juniors in Argentina. Still haven't had a decent save in Argentina so kinda hoping this one carries on for a bit.

There are three clubs in Argentina that kinda interest me. Argentinos Juniors, Rosario Central, and Banfield. AAAJ and Banfield are both about the same level, but AAAJ have a great youth system and therefore quite a few talented youngsters. Banfield don't have a ton in that regard. Rosario Central are kinda in between but are a bigger club. I have no idea why I took an interest in them except for they have interesting colors and I've seen them get relegated in other saves.

I started up with AAAJ. They are a Buenos Aires club, like most of the bigger clubs in Argentina. They have a legendary youth setup, having brought through Diego Maradona and a host of other internationals. The stadium is named after Maradona (not a positive lol). So they are start with some great young prospects, which makes them appealing.

One thing I did switch up was to shut off transfers in the first transfer window. Entirely for selfish reasons. AAAJ don't get much money anyway but I often see big clubs go after one of the young attackers. So I figured I could keep him in house a bit longer lol
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

I can't stop the bounce lol

I ended up going with Rosario Central because I figured they would be a tougher slog. Bigger club by a bit but squad seemed a step down. Fewer prospects. Less money. But they are in the Copa Libertadores.

Decided to do something a bit different tactically, based on a Keep It Simple, Stupid thread on the SI board. Its just a basic 4-1-4-1 with a flat central midfield. I kept the roles fairly simple and added minimal Team Instructions. Basically just to press and counter, and to play wider. The idea is that I can adjust as needed match to match. Its worked very well so far. Sitting in first after 8 rounds and starting to pull away. Also in the SF of the Libertadores. But it all feels....easy.

so of course I'm starting to think about maybe AAAJ would be a better long-term save.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So started up a save with AAAJ last night. Surprised by how much of a difference there is in reputation between the two clubs. Rosario Central is #6 or so in Argentina and top 12 in South America. AAAJ is #16 in Argentina and #61 in South America.

Argentinos Juniors have 4-star prospects at GK, DC, DM, and AM/W, and ST. I've seen a couple of them end up as wonderkids in other saves, getting poached by clubs like Arsenal, Tottenham, and Napoli. AAAJ aren't getting big sums of money for them, which concerns me a bit. Hoping that some success will make a difference in that regard.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

I don't know what it is about managing in Argentina.... It just never connects for me. I got like a week into the Argentinos Juniors save... our best player came back, got two-footed in a friendly and is out for 6 months. I try to look at injuries as opportunities and all that, but somehow that just sapped the excitement entirely.

I started up with Lokomotiv Moscow with an editor file activating down to the 5th division in Russia. Its helpful because core FM only has the top 2 divisions, and Lokomotiv have a B team that plays in the 3rd division. I went wild and did double managers - one running Lokomotiv and one running Lokomotiv Kazanka, the B team.

Yeah, that didn't go anywhere.

So I trolled through different leagues, looking for something. I can't even settle on what kind of save I want right now.... lower league, youth development focused, exotic league, whatever. South America always intrigues but the big clubs in Brazil are too big, Argentina doesn't seem to work for me, and the likes of Columbia and Chile are a bit too poor. Mexico is always fun but I can't find a team there that connects and intrigues. I can't say hitting Asia has a lot of appeal. So I ended up poking around Europe. All the Eastern European nations seem interesting until you really dig in and look at finances and infrastructure. And I ended up looking at the Championship again.

It shouldn't appeal. England has the same issues every time. Getting out the championship is fun. The prem is fun until you are getting raided and trying to compete with monstrous money bag clubs. I looked at clubs in League One and League Two but the quality just a drop down and that kills my interest.

so i landed on Brentford. Not because they could get promoted but they are a smaller club with good players and an interesting approach.

It kinda came down to them or Blackburn but I just didn't want to do the Rovers again. I quite like them but nah.

I was partly inspired by a YouTube video by BusttheNet on creating an FM19 tactic with similar expansive attacking football based on Man City. Not that I really want to emulate City on anything.... but the gegen-press based tactics I keep using don't really create beautiful attacking football. Its more bulldozer type stuff off the transition. But something that is open and expansive and equally effective.... I dont' think I've had a tactic in about 2 versions that felt like that. It makes FM fun, I find.

The tactic he built on the video was a dead-standard 4-3-3. Lame. so I'm put gonna put two in the DM strata. And maybe have the wingers in the MC strata so they start deeper. Possibly use IWBs so they move inside and flank the stationary DM when the runner DM runs. I need to stop drawing shit on paper and fucking play.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information